• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Corran Horn said:
I imagine seeing news report of some WoW player killing another via Real names on the forums in near future

That's why they added Facebook into Bnet, to make the whole process smoother. :lol

Seriously, it would be damn easy to facebook someones real name and find the person with the status change of "playing SCII" even worse if they include their ingame name with their real name on the forums and mention that on their facebook profile.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Wait, so you have to use your RL name to even play SC2? I haven't kept up with the game so I'm confused about this "Real ID" thing.

Archie said:
Wait, so you have to use your RL name to even play SC2? I haven't kept up with the game so I'm confused about this "Real ID" thing.
It's not public in-game, just on the official forums (for some idiotic reason). Although at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they put your real name in matchmaking as well :lol

Mardil

Wati, so what's the point of even HIDING your real name in-game if its going to be displayed to everyone on BNET? That's so stupid, everyone I play might as well just be shown my name.

eznark

Banned
Dyack is smiling. I personally don't hate the idea. Internet discourse would be a lot more civil if everyone had to use their real names all the time. The Wall St. Journal does this for comments (or at least they used to) and it led to actual, intelligent policy debate. My tag is my real name anyway, so it's not like it's a big deal.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
The Lamonster said:
It's not public in-game, just on the official forums (for some idiotic reason). Although at this point I wouldn't be surprised if they put your real name in matchmaking as well :lol
Im just waiting for them to show your RL Address while they are at it.

"Matchmaking....

Player Found!...

Joe Blow (NewbDestroyer) from Los Angeles, 128 Riverside Drive, 91230."

I just thought of something relating to the whole facebook lookup murder thing. If the forums are changed to show everyones first and last names will this also apply to blizzard staff? :lol

Corran Horn said:
Im just waiting for them to show your RL Address while they are at it.

"Matchmaking....

Player Found!...

Joe Blow (NewbDestroyer) from Los Angeles, 128 Riverside Drive, 91230."

For the finishing touch, make the loading screen a google map of the exact location that shows poor Joe welded to his chair stuffing cheeto's.

Akia

I'm all for this. The b.net forums are really juvenile right now. Making 13yr olds use their real names before they post will hopefully get rid of all the unnecessary threads and subsequent trolling.

Akia said:
I'm all for this. The b.net forums are really juvenile right now. Making 13yr olds use their real names before they post will hopefully get rid of all the unnecessary threads and subsequent trolling.

Really simple to fix. Only allow accounts that own the game in question to post on the respective forums. That way if people want to troll it'll cost them $60 a pop with the side effect of giving the greedy bastard kotick more money. The whole real ID and facebook thing has been blown way out of proportion, like a worn out saggy cunt.

msv

Akia said:
Just get good moderators. This isn't going to do anything, you can still provide false information (why would you even give your real name to blizzard, I don't get it?). It's a dumb solution.

eznark said:
Internet discourse would be a lot more civil if everyone had to use their real names all the time. The Wall St. Journal does this for comments (or at least they used to) and it led to actual, intelligent policy debate.

This is what came to mind for me as well. I never really thought of my full name as overly personal information but I guess that's just me.

Felix Lighter said:
This is what came to mine for me as well. I never really thought of my full name as overly personal information but I guess that's just me.

Top Gear presenter Jeremy Clarkson believed exactly the same thing and openly challenged people to steal his identity to prove it was a load of bollocks. It backfired, someone managed to actually steal his identity and made him donate thousands of pounds to charity via a direct debit he could not cancel :lol

Any personal info on the internet can and will be used against you should the right person/arsehole get ahold of it.

eznark

Banned
Felix Lighter said:
This is what came to mine for me as well. I never really thought of my full name as overly personal information but I guess that's just me.

I doubt I would post on the forums as much, but I think when you are willing to post knowing your name is attached to it that your opinions and criticisms hold more weight.

I doubt ChronicleX would so freely call something "gay" or throw around "saggy cunt" analogies were having this discussion with relative strangers in a public place. Personal identification can raise the level of discourse.

Sai-kun

Banned
msv said:
Just get good moderators. This isn't going to do anything, you can still provide false information (why would you even give your real name to blizzard, I don't get it?). It's a dumb solution.
Because saying "seriously blizzard my name is Sai-kun here look at my ID" doesn't work when my real name isn't Sai-kun :lol

ultron87

ChronicleX said:

Well, to be fair, he printed all his bank info and not just his full name.

I still think this is a horrible idea, but people's banks aren't going to be emptied because their name is on a post on the Starcraft forums.

ChronicleX said:

He gave more than just his full name.

The outspoken star printed his bank details in a newspaper to try and make the point that his money would be safe and that the spectre of identity theft was a sham.

He also gave instructions on how to find his address on the electoral roll and details about the car he drives.

Anyways, I guess if you challenge people to use it against you, they will, but I give my full name to strangers everyday. However, this is probably a bad decision on Blizzard's part simply because it is going to be overwhelmingly unpopular.

eznark said:
I doubt ChronicleX would so freely call something "gay" or throw around "saggy cunt" analogies were having this discussion with relative strangers in a public place. Personal identification can raise the level of discourse.

If people knew what I was talking about I would be using saggy cunt as an entry level description working my way up to analjuicing vampiric fucktards regardless of if I was anonymous or not as I said it.

Cru Jones

Sai-kun said:
Because saying "seriously blizzard my name is Sai-kun here look at my ID" doesn't work when my real name isn't Sai-kun :lol

This is tied to your battle.net account, and if you are account gets hacked and you can't prove that your real name is Sai-kun then you are most likely SOL.

msv

Sai-kun said:
Since when do you have to show your ID? I love SC2, but if I'd have to show my ID to Blizzard to play it, I'd pass.

Cru Jones said:
This is tied to your battle.net account, and if you are account gets hacked and you can't prove that your real name is Sai-kun then you are most likely SOL.
Err, photocopy of your receipt? They never asked for any ID in the first place, so to ban me from the game because I won't show my ID is illegal here in the Netherlands I believe. They'd either have to give you back the money you paid for the game or let you play.

Woa, seriously, you guys willing to show your ID's to play a game, please think about your privacy a bit (and that of others).

Sai-kun

Banned
Cru Jones said:
Exactly, which is why I use my real name, so that I can prove it's me.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
If people knew what I was talking about I would be using saggy cunt as an entry level description working my way up to analjuicing vampiric fucktards regardless of if I was anonymous or not as I said it.

I want to see a picture of you, holding a paper that says Chronicle X as well as your drivers license with everything blocked out on it except your name and the picture. Put your money where your mouth is.

eznark

Banned
ChronicleX said:

At least you aren't the least bit predictable, though I will say I wasn't expecting vampiric.

I would be more upset over this if I had to tie my real name to my in-game account. As it is, I can still play the game without readily broadcasting any personal information, so I'm ok with it.

ultron87 said:
Well, to be fair, he printed all his bank info and not just his full name.

I still think this is a horrible idea, but people's banks aren't going to be emptied because their name on a post on the Starcraft forums.

It was an example of how things can be used against you. I remember seeing how some woman found her kids 15 years after the father took them away via facebook. If you can be found IRL what is to stop random internet retard X from hunting you down? It does not matter how civilised you are or if you can be classified as a saint, there will always be some absolute twat that will want to hunt down murder you because you cheesed them or did not GG.

Cru Jones said:
I want to see a picture of you, holding a paper that says Chronicle X as well as your drivers license with everything blocked out on it except your name and the picture. Put your money where your mouth is.

And I want to see that Viligant Walrus kid outlive his fantasy with Dolphins. Get to work.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
It was an example of how things can be used against you. I remember seeing how some woman found her kids 15 years after the father took them away via facebook. If you can be found IRL what is to stop random internet retard X from hunting you down? It does not matter how civilised you are or if you can be classified as a saint, there will always be some absolute twat that will want to hunt down murder you because you cheesed them or did not GG.

And I want to see that Viligant Walrus kid outlive his fantasy with Dolphins. Get to work.

LOL, that's what I thought. Talk talk talk talk talk...

ultron87

ChronicleX said:

Which is why it is a good thing that, as far as we know, your name isn't being displayed in game at all unless you are already Real ID friends with the other person. Since that is something that has to be confirmed by both parties there is a much lower probability that horrible Starcraft related murder will happen.

ChronicleX said:

From Article said:
The outspoken star printed his bank details in a newspaper to try and make the point that his money would be safe and that the spectre of identity theft was a sham.

He also gave instructions on how to find his address on the electoral roll and details about the car he drives.

Its just your name. Clarkson gave basically everything. I don't see a big deal with it, really.

There are billions and billions of people living on our planet, and I'd be willing to bet that everyone has the same name as someone else. What could really happen if a handful of people see your real name on a forum, amidst a sea of other real names? All they have is your name.

Cru Jones said:
LOL, that's what I thought. Talk talk talk talk talk...

There is a difference between being a retard willing to expose himself on the internet and someones opinion changing once they are exposed. Just because I am not retarded enough to post personal info on the internet does not mean I would magically change my opinion should my identity be known.

What about you kiddo? You retarded enough to step up to your own challenge? Didn't think so.

ultron87 said:
Which is why it is a good thing that, as far as we know, your name isn't being displayed in game at all unless you are already Real ID friends with the other person. Since that is something that has to be confirmed by both parties there is a much lower probability that horrible Starcraft related murder will happen.

What happens if you piss of random tard X on the forums? Exactly.

Calantus

Pookaki said:
Its just your name. Clarkson gave basically everything. I don't see a big deal with it, really.

There are billions and billions of people living on our planet, and I'd be willing to bet that everyone has the same name as someone else. What could really happen if a handful of people see your real name on a forum, amidst a sea of other real names? All they have is your name.

I'm the only person on facebook with my name. It's fairly unique.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
There is a difference between being a retard willing to expose himself on the internet and someones opinion changing once they are exposed. Just because I am not retarded enough to post personal info on the internet does not mean I would magically change my opinion should my identity be known.

What about you kiddo? You retarded enough to step up to your own challenge? Didn't think so.

I wasn't the one making a ridiculous claim for the sake of making a ridiculous claim. You wouldn't be acting the same way if a current or future employer would be able to do a Google search of your name and see you calling people/situations retarded, gay, and making references to saggy cunts.

ChronicleX said:
What happens if you piss of random tard X on the forums? Exactly.

The whole point of the argument is you wouldn't do that because you no longer have a veil of anonymity.

ultron87

I'm guessing that Blizzard is doing this in an attempt to somewhat raise the level of discourse in their official forums. Which, if you've been there ever, would improve things quite a bit than the lawless wastes they have right now. Forcing you to display your real name takes away the sense of anonymity that causes many people on the Internet to be absolute dicks.

I don't think this is the real way to go about it, but I can at least see where they are coming from.

Mudkips

Banned
ChronicleX said:
Edit - Oh and I just found something rather... gay.

Uh...
RealID is shitty, but you might not want to use that word to describe shitty things.

And the forums will never be rid of Grimace!

eznark

Banned
Calantus said:
Come on, seriously?

Do you go to the bar and troll the guy watching a baseball game just because you don't like the team he is rooting for or the shirt he is wearing? No, you either engage in a decent discussion or you stay out of any conversation.

Cru Jones said:
The whole point of the argument is you wouldn't do that because you no longer have a veil of anonymity.

But I would and I have done it. I wrote on my blog about how much a cunt my boss was in my last job and the company found out about it due to a fellow former co-worker (different store who then worked with the boss I had before the cunt boss) opening her big mouth about it. They confronted me on the issue and I confessed to everything I wrote and as such they did an investigation on the bastard which in the end got him sacked :lol

So your argument is invalid.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Pookaki said:

Its personal. I dont want people to have my name unless I want them to have it. I almost got one of my bosses in serious trouble for announcing my full name and phone number over the walkie-talkie at work. Its one of those pet peeves I have. Sure my name isn't that hard to find out there with all the stuff Im signed up for, but I rather not have it just out for display.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
But I would and I have done it. I wrote on my blog about how much a cunt my boss was in my last job and the company found out about it due to a fellow former co-worker (different store who then worked with the boss I had before the cunt boss) opening her big mouth about it. They confronted me on the issue and I confessed to everything I wrote and as such they did an investigation on the bastard which in the end got him sacked :lol

So your argument is invalid.

Link?

Also, this doesn't invalidate my argument one bit. You being a foul mouthed whistle blower isn't going to help your future job prospects, I don't think anyone in their right mind can argue with that.

Calantus

Cru Jones said:
Yes, that is the argument that has been presented

It's ridiculous, Logical and mature arguments can still piss off retards. What if someone mentions they are gay on the OT forums, it's easy to see how out of hand it could get

eznark said:
Do you go to the bar and troll the guy watching a baseball game just because you don't like the team he is rooting for or the shirt he is wearing? No, you either engage in a decent discussion or you stay out of any conversation.

Yes but what if someone is lurking and gets pissed for one of the above reasons? You can't equalize the internet with real life, no matter how hard you try. The physical element will never be there.

Cru Jones said:
Link? Also, I bolded one of the important parts of your response.

Yeah I quit and got a better one since a corporate takeover made my job shit. Got a problem with that smartarse?

Calantus said:
It's ridiculous, Logical and mature arguments can still piss off retards. What if someone mentions they are gay on the OT forums, it's easy to see how out of hand it could get

Yes but what if someone is lurking? You can't equalize the internet with real life, no matter how hard you try. The physical element will never be there.

Good point. How is this for an example, what if all our names on Gaf were Real ID's? I doubt kids like Cru would be as eager to post here which would cause a massive fall in the amount of retarded topics for us to rofl at like the dolphin lover one.

Cru Jones

ChronicleX said:
Yeah I quit and got a better one since a corporate takeover made my job shit. Got a problem with that smartarse?

Good point. How is this for an example, what if all our names on Gaf were Real ID's? I doubt kids like Cru would be as eager to post here which would cause a massive fall in the amount of retarded topics for us to rofl at like the dolphin lover one.

I'll admit that I would definitely curb my approach in certain discussions if we used a RealID system here. You recognizing this is just proving mine, and other people's point.

ultron87

ChronicleX said:

So... you are arguing that their system is going to have exactly the effect that they are hoping for?

Mixed messages man.

Top Bottom