• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
mcrae said:
isnt there a instant-victory cheat?

"there is no cow level"

Instant victory cheat skips any dialogue. It would sure make my life easier if it didn't. There's too much important dialogue in the missions for me to use it.

CEs are always a waste of money. You get behind the scenes DVD, and artbook. Yawn. A 2gb flash drive with Starcraft 2. Don't need it. Soundtrack CD which will be uploaded on youtube 2 days after launch. Comic book. Meh. And extra graphics for battle.net and WoW. LOL.

I guess if you really want that art book it might be worth it but all the rest of the stuff is junk that will fill up your closet and never be worth anything because they're going to manufacture 10 million of these collectors editions.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Synth_floyd said:
CEs are always a waste of money. You get behind the scenes DVD, and artbook. Yawn. A 2gb flash drive with Starcraft 2. Don't need it. Soundtrack CD which will be uploaded on youtube 2 days after launch. Comic book. Meh. And extra graphics for battle.net and WoW. LOL.

I guess if you really want that art book it might be worth it but all the rest of the stuff is junk that will fill up your closet and never be worth anything because they're going to manufacture 10 million of these collectors editions.
Blizzard CE's are investments.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Synth_floyd said:

Just because you don't need or want something doesn't mean the rest of us don't.

Behind the scenes DVD? I'll watch it.
Artbook is around 176 pages. I'll definitely enjoy going through it.
Specially made flash drive? Preloaded with the original Starcraft? Awesome.
Soundtrack CD? It's nice to have.
Comic book? Will read.

As for it not being worth anything? Nuh-uh. Look up the WoW CE's on Amazon/EBay. Most of them around still around $100. Even with unusable keys, they're going for $40.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Not interested in CEs anymore. I always realise after a week that the only important part of the package was the game disc, and everything else goes to waste. It looks so cool, but I've been burned too many times.

axiomnightmare

Neo Member
Rez said:
Not interested in CEs anymore. I always realise after a week that the only important part of the package was the game disc, and everything else goes to waste. It looks so cool, but I've been burned too many times.
Yea, I really don't think the price difference is worth it at all. But I'm not a hardcore collector anyway, so I usually tend to skimp on such things.

Xamdou

I pre-ordered the C.E from Gamestop.com for $75 during their 25% off sale, so for an extra $15 (Regular Edition cost $60) I get all extra goodies packed in the Collectors edition of SC2.

Starcraft2collectorsedition.jpg

Also the C.E edition are for huge StarCraft fans who have been waiting for SC2 for over a decade, consider SC2 the greatest RTS game or even the greatest game of all time so yes C.E is well justified due to it's extras.

Ashhong

I really wanted the CE but even as a big SC fan, couldnt justify the price different. I got in on the Gamestop deal too, but am still hoping that I can sell the shitty WOW stuff on ebay so that I can make some money back.

However if I see a regular edition go on some kind of sale, either through Amazon or maybe another Toys r us gift card deal like other big games, I'll probably buy the regular and sell the CE for a little profit

V_Arnold

Ashhong said:
I really wanted the CE but even as a big SC fan, couldnt justify the price different. I got in on the Gamestop deal too, but am still hoping that I can sell the shitty WOW stuff on ebay so that I can make some money back.

However if I see a regular edition go on some kind of sale, either through Amazon or maybe another Toys r us gift card deal like other big games, I'll probably buy the regular and sell the CE for a little profit

..ehem.
So you buy it, you do not want what is in it, but when a regular edition will be cheaper/on sale, you sell it.

So why buying it in the first place? It is clearly not for you.

Just don't buy the CE expecting to be able to unload the WoW pet on EBay. Doubt you'll be able to do that as there's a good chance it's tied to your key rather than a product code.

And I think you'll find a great deal of the dollar value of your 'investment' gone right there.

I think CEs aren't for me, unless they are only $10 more and come with a strategy guide and an artbook like Demon's Souls, but I think a lot of SC2 stuff is gonna wind up on youtube anyway so regular edition for me.

zoukka

The CE only costs about 70 euros in many places here in EU. And the artbook is what really pushed me over.

I'm disappoint if the wow pet can't be sold though :(

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
CE on amazon is £140 whcih is around $180 ish

Where abouts in the eu is it cheaper?

Ashhong

V_Arnold said:
..ehem.
So you buy it, you do not want what is in it, but when a regular edition will be cheaper/on sale, you sell it.

So why buying it in the first place? It is clearly not for you.

I thought I made my post pretty clear? I want it, but wasn't sure if the money was worth it. I only do not want the WoW character crap since I don't play. I bought it because it was only 15$ more than the regular version.

If the regular version is on sale for say, $40 on release day like many other big name titles have been, then suddenly the collector's edition is 35$ more, and just isn't worth it. Therefore I will sell.

clip

Regarding the CE:

The making-of DVD videos will be on Youtube. If you want the soundtrack, just extract the audio from the game's audio files, same for the cutscenes. The art-book will contain a ton of concept art, whereas Blizzard already uploads print-resolution concept art on the SC2 site. Everyone already owns Starcraft.

zoukka

clip said:
The making-of DVD videos will be on Youtube. If you want the soundtrack, just extract the audio from the game's audio files, same for the cutscenes. The art-book will contain a ton of concept art, whereas Blizzard already uploads print-resolution concept art on the SC2 site. Everyone already owns Starcraft.

Agree on everything but the art-book. Printing high quality prints of those images would be time consuming and expensive. Some of us still like our art on paper you know :b

And I'm always against CE's. Weird.

Won

clip said:
Regarding the CE:

But I have a shiny new box!

V_Arnold

clip said:
Regarding the CE:

It is just not the same.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
Spike said:
I have it ordered, and I'm thinking of just dropping down to the regular edition.
I was thinking the same thing but I was just informed by Gamestop that they will not allow a cancellation because they sent me a Beta code. I can, however, refuse the delivery and have it sent back for a later refund. That seems really dumb to me since they know three weeks ahead of the ship date that someone doesn't want an extremely rare CE of a highly anticipated game. I guess I may consider selling it on Ebay....

robochimp

DenogginizerOS said:
I was thinking the same thing but I was just informed by Gamestop that they will not allow a cancellation because they sent me a Beta code. I can, however, refuse the delivery and have it sent back for a later refund. That seems really dumb to me since they know three weeks ahead of the ship date that someone doesn't want an extremely rare CE of a highly anticipated game. I guess I may consider selling it on Ebay....

It isn't rare

IMO the CE is well worth it. These are all the items I care about. Compared to the Legendary edition of Halo Reach - which has a statue - this CE is full of goodies that I will cherish for decades. I love making-of DVDs, actually listen to video game soundtracks in my car, and will browse the art book and comic while sitting on the toilet. Win!

I still pull out and admire my WCIII CE.

robochimp

DenogginizerOS said:
I have a feeling it will be come Christmas.

I'd imagine a loss of 10 dollars after ebay and paypal fees. I thought about buying a bunch and flipping them but decided against it. I used to do a ton of ebay selling. Tried some WOW burning crusade CE and was lucky to break even. Since then ebays fee scheme has gotten worse.

Yaweee said:
Basically, damage is dealt whenever they start firing at a target. So if you switch targets constantly, it resets the damage counter, eliminating the cooldown between damage ticks.

Sounds like something that Blizzard will consider a bug and patch.

Won

Yaweee said:
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but somebody at TL discovered how to double the damage output from Void Rays
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=134124

Basically, damage is dealt whenever they start firing at a target. So if you switch targets constantly, it resets the damage counter, eliminating the cooldown between damage ticks.

I love laser shows!

DenogginizerOS said:
I have a feeling it will be come Christmas.

Only the original WoW CE was really rare and only because they didn't expect the game being such a success. Ever since then they print more than enough. A quick check shows me that the Lich King CE is available for 40€ for example.

Yaweee

Hazaro said:
That is awesome

No, it isn't! Holy fucking Christ, I hate Void Rays, both playing against them and as them. I think their entire mechanic is screwy as hell and makes no sense, and was one of the main reasons why I stopped playing as Protoss. This just makes thing worse.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yaweee said:
No, it isn't! Holy fucking Christ, I hate Void Rays, both playing against them and as them. I think their entire mechanic is screwy as hell and makes no sense, and was one of the main reasons why I stopped playing as Protoss. This just makes thing worse.
PvP = 10 minute rush to VR + VR speed + mothership

It will be glorious

Calantus

i got the CE for 75 bucks, with the gamestop 25% off 100+ purchases. I'm thinking about reselling it, maybe just the wow key though.

Hazaro said:
PvP = 10 minute rush to VR + VR speed + mothership

It will be glorious

This trick only really works in singleplayer due to the laglessness of it all. I doubt this will be as impressive online.

Edit - Oh and I just found something rather... gay.

Blizzard said:
Recently, we introduced our new Real ID feature - www.battle.net/realid/ , a new way to stay connected with your friends on the new Battle.net. Today, we wanted to give you a heads up about our plans for Real ID on our official forums, discuss the design philosophy behind the changes we’re making, and give you a first look at some of the new features we’re adding to the forums to help improve the quality of conversations and make the forums an even more enjoyable place for players to visit.

The first and most significant change is that in the near future, anyone posting or replying to a post on official Blizzard forums will be doing so using their Real ID -- that is, their real-life first and last name -- with the option to also display the name of their primary in-game character alongside it. These changes will go into effect on all StarCraft II forums with the launch of the new community site prior to the July 27 release of the game, with the World of Warcraft site and forums following suit near the launch of Cataclysm. Certain classic forums, including the classic Battle.net forums, will remain unchanged.

Wedge7

lol what the fuck

Blizzard truly going ape shit

No way I would release my real information on a public forum, especially one like Blizzards forums.

Good thing I'm Wedge Antilles, from the planet Corellia

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Wedge7 said:
lol what the fuck

Blizzard truly going ape shit

No way I would release my real information on a public forum, especially one like Blizzards forums.

Good thing I'm Wedge Antilles, from the planet Corellia
Enjoy watching your parents die at the fueling station there!

I imagine seeing news report of some WoW player killing another via Real names on the forums in near future

Varion

ChronicleX said:
This trick only really works in singleplayer due to the laglessness of it all. I doubt this will be as impressive online.

The hell? :lol Who thought this would be a good idea?

Just as well I never use my real name anywhere that doesn't need it (anywhere other than online shops, pretty much). Screw that.

Eric WK

ChronicleX said:

"Gay", huh?

Top Bottom