• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Belgorim

ChronicleX said:
Its either you are not in the EU one but in another one or Blizzard hates you. Either way the EU client has updated and we can no longer play anything offline :lol
Found the issue... it didnt work without adding a realmlist.stf to your support directory if you had a clean install like me. I had removed the old beta installation so mine was not updated.

it is now working again :)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Currently on the protoss part... Sweet mother of holy have I forgotten how truly amazing this story is. By far the best Blizzards ever created.

Constant goosebumps.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Really, one thing I didnt really understand was in the end (STARCRAFT 1 spoilers)

The protoss Executor really despised Tassadar for defecting and turning himself to Dark Templars (for the good, obviously). Yet he INSTANTLY changed his attitude and went "we were wrong Tassadar, we will follow up" in the last mission. Whats up with that? Only thing that bothered me...

There we go :lol

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Yoshichan said:
Really, one thing I didnt really understand was in the end (STARCRAFT 1 spoilers)

The protoss Executor really despised Tassadar for defecting and turning himself to Dark Templars (for the good, obviously). Yet he INSTANTLY changed his attitude and went "we were wrong Tassadar, we will follow up" in the last mission. Whats up with that? Only thing that bothered me...

Well, the conclave admits they were wrong after Zeratul and the Dark Templar defeat a couple of the cerebrates, which severely weakens the Zerg. I think they were previously convinced that cerebrates couldn't be killed. But yeah, it was a little sudden.

Yoshichan

How the hell do I make the tags on these Japanese keyboards :lol could someone just make them so that I can copy and paste them?

edit: awesome, got it!

Ice Monkey said:
ah i forgot about that. definitely makes sense then.

I think my opinion of voids is extremely colored by my experience in custom games. Every custom game i played where voids were a possible factor, they felt OP. Like the marine arena most of all. Then the zero clutter games voids are unstoppable too.

I know that doesnt translate well into whether or not they're balanced for pro play but when they're such a good unit overall just because of the way it attacks, it's hard not to see it as OP.

Personally I think that Void Rays should be a Tier 3 unit. If they made it so that you had to get the Fleet Beacon before getting Void Rays, it would solve most of the early VR rushes. Of course, then the problem with this is no one would ever get Carriers anymore (not like anyone does anyway). Second problem is that people would complain that Protoss has no early air unit that's good (despite the Phoenix being awesome).

Yoshichan

I dont really get Void Ray rushes... I tried it once and failed miserably since I myself got rushed and had no defense what so ever since I was so busy actually building stuff (early assimilator etc) for the VRs... anything Im not aware of?

Bisonian

Yoshichan said:
I dont really get Void Ray rushes... I tried it once and failed miserably since I myself got rushed and had no defense what so ever since I was so busy actually building stuff (early assimilator etc) for the VRs... anything Im not aware of?

I honestly don't think the Void Ray rush is all that much different from a banshee rush. Occasionally you'll catch people off guard with it early, and it can be good for harass, but like most gimmick rushes it's just not going to work against most good players. The fact that it's ridiculously easy to scout the strat as well if you put any sort of effort into your scouting means it's just not that useful.

I think that people get caught up in it because if you fail to see it coming you lose in spectacular fashion (the very fast destruction of your nexus/hatch/CC). That doesn't make it harder to stop though.

And VR's on the same tech tier as Carriers? Yeesh. I guess Banshees should go with Battlecruisers as well then. That makes all sorts of no sense.

zoukka

Yep most rushes that aren't coming from your fortified front door will easily be labeled as OP or cheesy in the lower divisions. Be it VR rush, Banshees with cloak, Thorship, Nydus and even 6-8 mutas popping at once.

Tenks

I only VR rush I've tried that helped used the VR simply as a helper unit for my overall strategy. 2gate into 1-2 VR into 4gate. Get his army out of position with the VR, waltz in with the gateway army at the front. He'll have to abandon one side of the base to let you rape. Shit can get annoying. Works best against Terran since Toss can just warp in to stop your VR and zerg can just move at warp speed on their creep.

zoukka

Seriously. Do you guys have the old title music going on? I heard the new music only once, after that I get the old one every time I launch...

Cru Jones

Bisonian said:
I honestly don't think the Void Ray rush is all that much different from a banshee rush. Occasionally you'll catch people off guard with it early, and it can be good for harass, but like most gimmick rushes it's just not going to work against most good players. The fact that it's ridiculously easy to scout the strat as well if you put any sort of effort into your scouting means it's just not that useful.

I think that people get caught up in it because if you fail to see it coming you lose in spectacular fashion (the very fast destruction of your nexus/hatch/CC). That doesn't make it harder to stop though.

And VR's on the same tech tier as Carriers? Yeesh. I guess Banshees should go with Battlecruisers as well then. That makes all sorts of no sense.

WhiteRa says hi :)

Yoshichan

Man, the
terran vs terran
first parts in Brood War is boring as shit as usual. Skipping this.

Yoshichan

Just watched SC and Brood War. THANKS A LOT for uploading it. What a great, great story it is.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
StarCraft II Beta - Patch 16 (version 0.19.0.15976)
StarCraft II Beta – Patch 16 (version 0.19.0.15976)

The latest patch notes can always be found on the StarCraft II Beta General Discussion forum.

General

Rally points now behave as a move command, instead of an attack move command.
Enabled the ability to manually add a StarCraft II character friend using the player's character code. Character code is a server-assigned numerical code that is displayed within the Add Friend panel.
Battle.net Achievements & Rewards have been updated.
All Quick Match modes are now available: 1v1, 2v2, 3v3, 4v4, and Free For All.
All A.I. difficulties are now available for play.
Cooperative matchmaking versus A.I. players is now available as a play mode.
Enabled cross-game social features between World of Warcraft and StarCraft II.

Balance Changes

ZERG

Infestor

Frenzy spell removed.
Infested Terran spell added.

Overseer

Infested Terran spell removed.

Ultralisk

Now immune to stuns and mind control.
BAM

ultron87

So does that mean the servers are back?

And that seems like it might help out Ultralisks.

And AI, yay! I can try things out in a less embarrassing format!

ZealousD

Wow, why'd they change rally points back to the old SC1 way? I didn't even think people wanted it to revert back. =/

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
ZealousD said:
Wow, why'd they change rally points back to the old SC1 way? I didn't even think people wanted it to revert back. =/
Because stuff would screw up, or... I dunno. I liked attack move personally.

Update is 480MB. Wow.

ZealousD said:
I actually recall quite a few people wanting to change it back to move-rally. I think it was probably those type of people who thought TL's April Fool's should have been real.

ZealousD

Hazaro said:
Update is 480MB. Wow.

Off a clean reinstall, my update is about 900MB. I thought this update was going to remove the previous versions of the client?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
So far:
- Completely new Sound Effects (major improvement, while the cancel sound is now terrible I think)
- Blue cursor instead of green.
- Blueish look in the option menu
*Option Screen:
- Graphics: page now shows a function for Vertical Sync & Reduce Mouse lag
- Sound page: now shows movements sounds and respondse sounds as seperate tag boxes.
- Voice page: Using voicechat you can seperately adjust sound vs Music in relation to the voice chat.
- Gameplay page: There are more options (atleast for Mac):
1) Disable OS Keyboard Shortcuts
2) Swap Control and Command Keys (CMD instead of CTRL, this is great!!!)
3) Reduced Violence: hehe, less gore and stuff.

-Hotkey Page: Well I can still not change my hotkeys, but it shows more different commands to hotkey to.
- There is a new tab called Battle.net:
Shows a list of "blocked Real ID Friend Request, Blocked Communication, they moved the mature language filter to this tab, and there is a button "Logout of Facebook!"
:eek: if true

*I can confirm most of this in Options.

ultron87

Now they just need to actually start the beta back up again while simultaneously sending out a massive new wave of invites to the Cataclysm beta and this whole forum controversy will be forgotten.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
New portraits.
qpktF.jpg

Zzoram

ZealousD said:

I think the issue is that if they attack-move on rally, you can really easily disrupt reinforcements by using a quick unit to drag the reinforcing troops away from their rally towards a battle. This hurts Zerg the most, since they are the most reliant on the ability to quickly reinforce through rallys due to having the ability to massively produce a ton of fast units quickly with stored larvae. Protoss don't even have to worry about rally.

Basically, Zerg vs Protoss have a battle in the middle of the map. Zerg hits his hotkey for all his hatcheries, selects all larvae, and mashes Hydralisks or something, and rallies them at the battlefield all without having to look back at their base. Protoss can select all Warpgates and start warping at the pylon near the battlefield without having to look back at his base.

If protoss has 1 stalker sneak around between the battlefield and the zerg base, the reinforcement hydras on their way to the battle will target it, and the stalker can then proceed to walk away from the battle, luring the reinforcements away.

Milabrega

Tauren Marine portrait. So there's still atleast one person at Blizzard who hasn't gone full Activision.

6 Down 2 Across is Dustin Browder.

Zzoram

Nothing about the Tauren Marine would change from Activision's influence. Sure it's something that fits with other light hearted fun stuff Blizzard has done in the past for easter eggs and stuff. However, that doesn't mean Activision would want to ever stop them from doing it. In fact, Activision probably loves the idea of Blizzard cross promoting franchises.

Yaweee

Quite a few spoilers in there, I guess, but nothing too big? There also appears to be a slightly infected/infested looking Terran guy in the mix, as well as a rather human looking Zerg.

WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT

BLIZZARD LET ME HAVE YOUR BABIES I LOVE YOU

(All A.I. difficulties are now available for play.
Cooperative matchmaking versus A.I. players is now available as a play mode.)

I've gotta hand it to blizzard, they really know how to appease their fans after all this time waiting for starcraft 2. What other developer do you know of that basically gave full multiplayer access for 3 months or whatnot before the game launched, then even goes farther and basically unlocks the entire game's features (other than single player) for a few weeks directly before release?

Really at this point the only thing they could do to cement a lead as arguably the best developer EVAR is give us access to all the missing map editor units like lurkers and goliaths before release.

They even seem to have fixed their strange decision to not allow LAN play by giving it to event coordinators. I would highly doubt it will take long for that to leak too so anyone who wants/needs LAN should have it.

I think you must be the worst gaming fan ever if you pirate this game. There's really no moral reason to do it with the amount of leeway they have given us.

Top Bottom