• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Vaporak said:
Except that you're totally wrong? Voidrays weren't OP before this micro trick was discovered, or else every tournament would have been filled with them. And you don't have any proof at all that they'll be OP now because you've never even seen it done in a game nor seen anything thought up to counter it.

The only match up that this has a chance of majorally changing is PvZ, but according to the Team Liquid thread 3 queens (450 minerals) beat 2 voidrays (500 minerals/300 gas) using the trick. Further, in PvT vikings will still beat Voidrays just based on their range and production advantage. And in PvP, it can't be OP by definition as they both have acess. So how are Voidrays now totally OP again?

I'm with Hazaro, lets at the very least wait until we know its OP. Balancing based on gut instinct is not the way to go.

I appreciate your insight, I wasn't aware of whether or not they were balanced for tournament play and if so, I suppose blizzard could/does/will use that as a guide for how the balance should be, i.e: if its balanced in high level play then that will be the basis for game-wide balance.

I will say however, continuing my (not amazing) analogy to MTG, having a deck filled with moxes and mountains and black lotuses and fireballs may be balanced when considered in the context of what an opponent could have: i.e.: a time walk "you don't get any more turns" deck. But that fireball deck would be OP in casual play, you could win every game against people with basic creature decks and such.

So maybe what I have a problem with and I think needs to be fixed is how OP voids seem to be (in my experience) in casual games. You could say any strategy in sc2 isn't OP if it takes a certain time to come to fruition, like massing 200 food of battlecruisers has no counter. But defend long enough to create a good 5-8 group of voids and you'll steamroll through any casual player's army. (in my experience)

Everyone may have their own anecdotes about how good or bad voids are in their experience of casual play, but all I know is that whenever I've gone for voids I've seemed to do extremely well and I usually get beat by voids if I go for something else. They sure seem OP to me.

I had one particular game where the guy had 2 voids and something like 6 carriers and I think my 6-8 voids won. Just seems wrong. Then I just queued up every one of his buildings and steamrolled straight through.

Bisonian

Ice Monkey said:
I had one particular game where the guy had 2 voids and something like 6 carriers and I think my 6-8 voids won. Just seems wrong. Then I just queued up every one of his buildings and steamrolled straight through.

Void Rays are the air-to-heavy air protoss counter. They do bonus damage to armored, and their gameplay mechanic means they do very well against large HP targets. I'm pretty sure they are listed as "strong against: Carriers" in game even. This doesn't seem that odd to me at all.

I still think from all the games that I've played that the Void Ray is a fairly balanced unit however. Yes, I realize I'm in the minority on that one though.

Bisonian said:
Void Rays are the air-to-heavy air protoss counter. They do bonus damage to armored, and their gameplay mechanic means they do very well against large HP targets. I'm pretty sure they are listed as "strong against: Carriers" in game even. This doesn't seem that odd to me at all.

I still think from all the games that I've played that the Void Ray is a fairly balanced unit however. Yes, I realize I'm in the minority on that one though.

ah i forgot about that. definitely makes sense then.

I think my opinion of voids is extremely colored by my experience in custom games. Every custom game i played where voids were a possible factor, they felt OP. Like the marine arena most of all. Then the zero clutter games voids are unstoppable too.

I know that doesnt translate well into whether or not they're balanced for pro play but when they're such a good unit overall just because of the way it attacks, it's hard not to see it as OP.

zoukka

In lower level play the Void Ray definately might seem a bit OP. It's easy to maneuver, just charge that lazer on some rocks or buildings and wreak havoc.

In reality Void Rays are countered pretty easily. A fistful of marines with stim, queens, stationary defence, Vikings, Mutas, Hydras, phoenix... you name it. And the best counter is scouting naturally. You have plenty of time to prepare for those slow-ass robo-aliens :D

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
And I am finally done.

You may now view the full Starcraft 1 story from beginning to end. If you've got about 3 hours of time to kill and need a recap of the whole thing, than there's no better place than to watch it here.

http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=F9226B77F797043B

I also threw in a little bonus vid of one of my old game saves at the very end. I think you guys will enjoy it. :lol

Also, if you guys can help me out, look out for any blank black screens that might immediately show up after the green text intertitles pop up. Fraps had trouble capturing some of those text frames, so I had to use annotations to fill in a few holes. I haven't yet spent the time watching the whole thing from beginning to end in one sitting, so just give me a heads up if I need to fix any problems.

Belgorim

ZealousD said:
And I am finally done.

You may now view the full Starcraft 1 story from beginning to end. If you've got about 3 hours of time to kill and need a recap of the whole thing, than there's no better place than to watch it here.

I also threw in a little bonus vid of one of my old game saves at the very end. I think you guys will enjoy it. :lol

Also, if you guys can help me out, look out for any blank black screens that might immediately show up after the green text intertitles pop up. Fraps had trouble capturing some of those text frames, so I had to use annotations to fill in a few holes. I haven't yet spent the time watching the whole thing from beginning to end in one sitting, so just give me a heads up if I need to fix any problems.
Thats awesome :) I have been searching for good runthroughs like this on youtube, so it is greatly appreciated.

Bisonian

ZealousD said:
And I am finally done.

A million thanks for doing that for us, I've been working my way through them and you did a great job with it. It's amazing how much story there was (and how much I had forgotten).

Des0lar

will learn eventually
ZealousD said:
And I am finally done.

Really great. You could do a bonus and include the 2 terran bonus missions. They are available on Youtube and imo are a really great addition to the story.

Bisonian

Sykra said:
New patch is now up for EU, 500mb, servers are still down though.

That it is... that it is. Looks like our wait isn't for too much longer. Can't wait to see a changelog either although no one seems to have it yet.

e: First change right off the bat, you must log into battle.net to play single player custom maps, or to even use the map editor. I expect to hear some teeth gnashing about that.

zoukka

Sykra said:
New patch is now up for EU, 500mb, servers are still down though.

nuclear-explosion.jpg

My download works fine!

Bisonian

X-Burner said:
Apparently the EU servers are up. Not 100% sure though:

Looks like as of right now you can patch but no one is online. At least according to the very rapidly moving TL thread.

e: "Battle.net is down for maintenance, please try again later." ... and we shall!

e2: We already knew this, but the patch is nuking old folders and patches... if you want to save a build for posterity (or for replay sake?), might want to make a backup before you go ahead with the patch.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Servers are down for maintenance, patch works fine though, new menu music is the only thing i notice

msv

oh shiiiiiiiiiiii

t

Downloading the new patch now, download is only going at 500-700kb/s, guess the servers are getting hammered.

Bisonian

ChronicleX said:
Shame there are no patch notes to go with this patch. Someone needs to check the stats of units in the editor :lol

As was said above, you can't access the editor without logging in anymore.

zoukka

Wow the new music is straight from Alien. So goooooood.

And I just got my new 1080p TV so my eyes probably won't survive once this goes up.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wait, do we get any single player in the beta?

Bisonian said:
As was said above, you can't access the editor without logging in anymore.

You serious? That is lame. Then again it would prevent people from just keeping the beta client as a single player demo of sorts post release.

Zen

Banned
I'm still getting 'you are trying to access the server with a client not compatible' message. Is this because I used AllinSC2 to fight the AI, or is it just because the US servers can't DL the update yet.

Zen said:
I'm still getting 'you are trying to access the server with a client not compatible' message. Is this because I used AllinSC2 to fight the AI, or is it just because the US servers can't DL the update yet.

Pretty sure it has to be a NA server thing as I'm getting the same.

Zen said:

I used that and I connected and downloaded the new patch fine in EU. If your getting the version not compatible message it means that have not released the patch in your region (I got this error 2 days ago).

Also I tried to play a game with the editor while the patch was downloading and my editor has been updated to the lastest version but my SCII has not yet and it worked fine. So I am wondering if using the old EXE with the new files will allow offline use of the editor (as that would explain why I was just able to use it).

So yeah, might be worth making a backup of your old SCII exe.

Edit - Tested and no dice. It accepts the old exe's but treats them the same as the new ones.

X-Burner

Banned
So does anyone know if blizzard plans on making Phase 2 open? I mean we're approaching launch very quickly, so I don't see why those who missed out on phase 1 should get shafted again :p

V_Arnold

F#A#Oo said:
I'm guessing hooking up PC to TV instead of monitor...

Aye, I know, but... my mind just cant wrap itself around that idea. I usually watch my monitor trough 50-90 cm, depending. When I use it with gaming, it is a bit more, like 140-150 cm. But I suppose you wont watch a huge 1080p tv from close and personal. And if you dont, will you be able to notice little stuff on screen?

*yeah, having a bad eyesight sucks*

F#A#Oo

Banned
V_Arnold said:
Aye, I know, but... my mind just cant wrap itself around that idea. I usually watch my monitor trough 50-90 cm, depending. When I use it with gaming, it is a bit more, like 140-150 cm. But I suppose you wont watch a huge 1080p tv from close and personal. And if you dont, will you be able to notice little stuff on screen?

*yeah, having a bad eyesight sucks*

Oh I see what you mean...:D

Yeah I hooked my PC once to my TV...it certainly didn't feel right...and yeah I had to sit releatively close to the set iirc...

Zen

Banned
I wonder what sort of balance changes they've made since the beta went dark. The wait is killing me. The least they could do is give us a juicy juicy patchnotes update to tide us over, even if the patchnotes are just technical back end stuff. :lol

Time to see if there are any new HDStarCraft,HuskyStarCraft, Day[9] commentaries up.

Zen said:
I wonder what sort of balance changes they've made since the beta went dark. The wait is killing me. The least they could do is give us a juicy juicy patchnotes update to tide us over, even if the patchnotes are just technical back end stuff. :lol

Time to see if there are any new HDStarCraft,HuskyStarCraft, Day[9] commentaries up.
Agreed. I just want to know what has improved.

Tenks

ChronicleX said:
The graphics have gotten worse!
perhaps...

The Extreme graphics setting has been removed. Ultra is now the max setting.

WTF how will I know if a Stargate is producing a VR or Phoenix :(

Belgorim said:
No, I am in the euro one...

Its either you are not in the EU one but in another one or Blizzard hates you. Either way the EU client has updated and we can no longer play anything offline :lol

Top Bottom