• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Ice Monkey, it's called Beta Testing. Blizzard clearly has no choice but to do so since it wants to deliver the best experience and don't want all the pros and noobs alike complaining that the game/menu/functionality is broken.

They have changed alot in Battle.net 2.0 and they will need to test and see if people appreciate the change. They have also made the game online only and they will need to test that as well.

Also, you can't pirate the game. If you do, you get no benefits in this online only game.

This is blizzard doing itself a favor by making sure their game is not dead on arrival, and not doing favor to us. But yes, I know what you mean.

F#A#Oo

Banned
close to the edge said:
When are the servers finally going up durrrrrr. :( I want to play now!

iirc it's up to Kotick!

Regardless this beta phase will only be for stress testing...

When the game is released only then will Blizzard take feedback seriously!

Milabrega

Shagg I think Ice Monkey be trollin. He's gracious Blizzard is giving a LAN copy to event coordinators so it can eventually leak and consumers will finally get that option. Then again you may be trolling talking about people appreciating all the Battle.Net 2.0 stuff. I just can't tell who be trolling SC2 anymore, time for GAF to use RealID on every post so I can track both of you down IRL and ask you in person.

shagg_187 said:
Ice Monkey, it's called Beta Testing. Blizzard clearly has no choice but to do so since it wants to deliver the best experience and don't want all the pros and noobs alike complaining that the game/menu/functionality is broken.

They have changed alot in Battle.net 2.0 and they will need to test and see if people appreciate the change. They have also made the game online only and they will need to test that as well.

Also, you can't pirate the game. If you do, you get no benefits in this online only game.

This is blizzard doing itself a favor by making sure their game is not dead on arrival, and not doing favor to us. But yes, I know what you mean.

i know, beta testing is necessary and all so they may not really care that much about us. They like every other company exists mainly to make money. And they are basically designing a way to print money by releasing starcraft 2.

It may be looking on the bright side or something but be honest, when starcraft 2's beta first came out, was it SO BAD back then that the multiplayer couldn't have been released as is? Absolutely not! It may have needed balance, that's obvious with all the balance changes since then, but they could absolutely have released it back then and everyone would have been perfectly happy with the final product. Then the balance changes would have been released and the game would have improved and everyone would have still been happy.

I really think there's only two possible reasons why blizzard gave such an extensive beta test when the product was as well done as it was when the beta first released:

1. they want to start tourneys immediately after release, and it would be bad form in some way or just simply undesirable to go full speed into tourneys and progaming in general with a product that still needs a good chunk of balance. For example, if winners won 10000 dollars or more because that hatchery cancel larva ling rush was exploited, it would look bad.

2. they did it almost as a gift that obviously has some nice tertiary benefits to the game.

I'm starting to not really know where I'm going with this, so I'll just restate the simple fact that blizzard could have easily just released the game after single player was done and the multiplayer was as it was when beta first started, and nobody would have been upset about it.

They would have had plenty of testing by the hordes of people who would have bought the game and to stress the servers they could have easily just had a good week or two beta test before release with a severely limited version of the game and 100000 people or more given invites to this extremely limited version. Like you're only allowed to play terran and tier 3 units arent included.

I guess that's my major point in this long rant, every other developer's betas or demos are considered successful by their fans when they are severely limited like starcraft 2 only allowing you to play as terran or something. Blizzard gave us the whole damn game for months and they didnt arguably need to.

Look at team fortress 2. 119 patches or something crazy like that, not all of which are just gracious content and look at how beloved that's been since it first released. Did they even have a beta test? Blizzard could've done that and succeeded, but they gave us so much more.

Milabrega said:
Shagg I think Ice Monkey be trollin. He's gracious Blizzard is giving a LAN copy to event coordinators so it can eventually leak and consumers will finally get that option. Then again you may be trolling talking about people appreciating all the Battle.Net 2.0 stuff. I just can't tell who be trolling SC2 anymore, time for GAF to use RealID on every post so I can track both of you down IRL and ask you in person.

hehe i wish i was, im starting to sound like a fanboy. I shouldn't have mentioned the LAN thing, it really is a rather stupid way to limit starcraft 2 and i do disagree with it. I'm just completely high after finding out they enabled coop vs AI and all AI difficulties.

You know, now that you mention it it does rather bug me that blizzard felt like they had to make all this battle.net 2.0 shit when they could have easily just copypasta'd the system from SC1 and everything would have been peachy, people may have even loved them for the retro throwbacks that would have resulted in using battle.net 1.0 since it still works well to this day.

Plus we would have had this mother effing game since like LAST YEAR if they just went with battle.net 1.0 copy/paste

o_O

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Ice Monkey said:
hehe i wish i was, im starting to sound like a fanboy. I shouldn't have mentioned the LAN thing, it really is a rather stupid way to limit starcraft 2 and i do disagree with it. I'm just completely high after finding out they enabled coop vs AI and all AI difficulties.

You know, now that you mention it it does rather bug me that blizzard felt like they had to make all this battle.net 2.0 shit when they could have easily just copypasta'd the system from SC1 and everything would have been peachy, people may have even loved them for the retro throwbacks that would have resulted in using battle.net 1.0 since it still works well to this day.

Plus we would have had this mother effing game since like LAST YEAR if they just went with battle.net 1.0 copy/paste

o_O

I'm glad they didn't copy/paste b.net 1.0.

Their new matchmaking service is a fucking GOD SEND.

ZealousD said:

im really forgetting a lot of shit. I agree the matchmaking is a massive improvement to melee games.

The custom games list is also a huge improvement but still needs work like im sure everyone who has used it knows.

NIN90 said:
What's the difference between Melee settings and standard settings anyway?

I don't think there is one. I've always understood melee to basically mean each player starts with the same amount of shit as a type of versus mode. I.e.: melee IS standard settings.

Bisonian

Ice Monkey said:
Look at team fortress 2. 119 patches or something crazy like that, not all of which are just gracious content and look at how beloved that's been since it first released. Did they even have a beta test? Blizzard could've done that and succeeded, but they gave us so much more.

Yes, of course they had a beta test. You got into by... and wait, stop me if you've heard this one... pre-ordering the Orange Box ahead of time.

For the rest of your post... and please know that you are like a SC2 thread posting brother to me, and I know you are excited... I'm going to have to give you the Billy Madison response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

Bisonian said:
Yes, of course they had a beta test. You got into by... and wait, stop me if you've heard this one... pre-ordering the Orange Box ahead of time.

For the rest of your post... and please know that you are like a SC2 thread posting brother to me, and I know you are excited... I'm going to have to give you the Billy Madison response:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7w64fbqYQY

hehe. I think somehow I didn't preorder the orange box, I dunno why and for some reason I wasn't aware of the beta test of tf2. o_O

I don't take offense to the billy madison thing, I love that quote but...no rational thought at all? I think that's stretching it a little :p

At the very least, you have to admit that when the beta first came out, it was extremely polished and could have easily been what they released as the final product. It was just too damn polished.

Bisonian

Ice Monkey said:
At the very least, you have to admit that when the beta first came out, it was extremely polished and could have easily been what they released as the final product. It was just too damn polished.

Absolutely 100% agree. It's nice to know that despite all the batshit insane decisions Blizzard has been making lately, they still seem to want to genuinely ship the best game they possibly can. Too bad about everything else around said game.

If I come home from work tomorrow and servers are still not up I'm going to be mad! :mad:

To add something of value to this post (so I don't come off like the raging Starcraft addict I am):
A series of sweet games between Mardow (Zerg, Germany) and Socke (Protoss, Germany), best of 5 with a truly epic final game.
http://blip.tv/file/3700887

ZealousD

Ice Monkey said:

Well the game wasn't balanced. Period. Any matchup with zerg revolved entirely around roaches and early reapers were ridiculous. Given how important competition is in Starcraft, the game needed to be fairly balanced before release.

LaneDS

CcrooK said:
So should I re-install to get some last games in before release?

This is the equivalent of going into a cocaine den and asking if anyone wants some coke.

So yes, yes you should re-install and play the once and future king of RTS.

ZealousD said:
Well the game wasn't balanced. Period. Any matchup with zerg revolved entirely around roaches and early reapers were ridiculous. Given how important competition is in Starcraft, the game needed to be fairly balanced before release.

agreed. that's what I was thinking about when I mentioned how that could have been part of the reason they gave us such a huge chunk of multiplayer for so long, that they need it perfect and up to snuff for tourneys and high level gameplay. It's nice that this translates to so much given to us in advance of the release.

It's rather amazing when you realize we had an exciting, structured 1v1 tourney in a beta FFS.

Won said:
Yes it is. Do you like pandas?

They better have Panda Bear guy in the full release. :lol

ZealousD said:

Despite all the hate BNet 2.0 gets, I'm sure they'll fix it all eventually. The match making system is amazing and almost makes up for everything else.

LowParry

LaneDS said:
This is the equivalent of going into a cocaine den and asking if anyone wants some coke.

So yes, yes you should re-install and play the once and future king of RTS.

Of course I'll have to wait till things are live to get the updates and blah, ja?

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
Its almost 1am, im a go to sleep and wake up at 7 and the beta will have been up 5 hours at least

fml :lol

ZealousD

Are there any EU or AU gaffers willing to volunteer to be the topic creator for the EU/AU online thread? I've already got a banner, I just need somebody who's willing to take all the names of people and keep that thread in check.

Corran Horn said:
anyone got it yet? My modem blew up so had no internet for a day...the worst day of my life! ;;

Yeah I still don't have any video from that yet, although Panda seemed like he was gonna do it. I hope one of you didn't update. =X

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
ZealousD said:
Are there any EU or AU gaffers willing to volunteer to be the topic creator for the EU/AU online thread? I've already got a banner, I just need somebody who's willing to take all the names of people and keep that thread in check.

Yeah I still don't have any video from that yet, although Panda seemed like he was gonna do it. I hope one of you didn't update. =X
im updating now.

would that be bad?

ZealousD

Pandaman said:
so does it remove the old version first or after downloading the new version?

can i cancel and record now?

I haven't the slightest clue, since I patched it from a fresh install. You tell me. =X

ZealousD

Imperial Hot said:
Is their anyway to get in on the beta still? I know I am super LTTP, but I just got a new laptop that could handle Starcraft II.

Well the beta is down atm. They may make it an open beta once it starts back up.

ZealousD

Pandaman said:
dragging a replay into the .exe restarts the update process. ;_;

this is the best quality i can probably get with my lappy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEw51YPACIM

Maybe you can try launching it from SC2 Manager? That was the only way I could get replays to work in the first place anyway.

Your laptop's quality is not ideal but I'll take what I can get. It's either that or nothing at all.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
i guess i cant just copy my laptops sc2 folder over to the pc. >_>

oh, there's also a second pc with starcraft installed, but its not likely to be up to date with the tourney. >_> its older but should be able to do 1080/high

ZealousD

Pandaman said:
i guess i cant just copy my laptops sc2 folder over to the pc. >_>

oh, there's also a second pc with starcraft installed, but its not likely to be up to date with the tourney. >_> its older but should be able to do 1080/high

Whatever you can do man, I'm not picky.

Calantus

i actually have a functioning mouse for the new round of beta, my right click would sometimes not actually click. So i had to sometimes double click to select my units among other things. I still was in silver/gold :lol

Milabrega said:

:lol :lol :lol

Fired up SC1 cause I couldn't wait for this shit and started playing Campaign. :D

Wait wait WHAT? WHAT?!!!! Event coordinators getting LAN copy while he are not? WHAT IS THIS FUCKING BLASPHEMY?!!!!! WHAT IF IT'S A SMALL LAN PARTY? DO I CONTACT BLIZZARD OR SOMETHING? FUCKING HELL?

Just want to drop in and say that for someone coming in with ZERO Starcraft knowledge that this has to be the most complicated thing ive ever seen to try and catch up on. Holy fuck.

I was just able to log in and create a game with a medium AI. It seems to be up and running again or am I an idiot that didn't realize we could already do that?

Top Bottom