• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Blizzard

Banned
Thank you, that's a lot better. If anyone is up for a casual SC1 game, I'm a noob but I might give it a shot in an hour or two. :)

Blizzard said:
Thank you, that's a lot better. If anyone is up for a casual SC1 game, I'm a noob but I might give it a shot in an hour or two. :)

i'll give it a shot. i'm not very good either, but i know the basics

NameGenerated

Who paid you to grab Dr. Pavel?
infinityBCRT said:
right click on starcraft.exe and put "run as administrator"... it doesn't even work when i enable run as admin by default in compatibility settings, only when i right click and run as admin/
Thanks, that worked. Now the menu colors are all messed up after I updated though. Lots of bright greenish/blueish and pink stuff. In-game looks fine so it's no big deal.

Blizzard

Banned
NameGenerated said:
Thanks, that worked. Now the menu colors are all messed up after I updated though. Lots of bright greenish/blueish and pink stuff. In-game looks fine so it's no big deal.
That happens for me in Windows 7 with almost no way around it, but I think I found some compatibility/admin option to fix it...as long as I don't alt-tab out. :( Auto, do you have me on Steam? I'm AgentElrond I think. If anyone else who might be a common friend wants to play, we could do that. (My apologies if there's an online thread I should be using for this instead)

Noriym

Neo Member
Freki said:
Gif is from the Teamliquid forum:

sc2_fov36k6.gif

Interesting, Very nice. Looks like Blizzard decided to make 16x9 the defacto standard. I think I'd prefer 16x10 but I think I heard someone say that the 16x10 standard is going to phase out soon. I imagine to be consistent with the TV market.

16x9 will be a must for the pros. I'll have to get used to the small bars top and bottom on my 1920x1200 display. :D

Noriym said:
Interesting, Very nice. Looks like Blizzard decided to make 16x9 the defacto standard. I think I'd prefer 16x10 but I think I heard someone that the 16x10 standard is going to phase out soon.

16x9 will be a must for the pros. I'll have to get used to the small bars top and bottom on my 1920x1200 display.:D
Hopefully they allow a 16:9 letterbox mode for 1920x1200 then, because my 16:10 sammy stretches 16:9 resolutions.

Coeliacus

Crisco said:
Uh, not on PC monitors.....

You haven't looked at monitors in the last year or so have you? Even when I bought mine Oct 2008, most monitors were 16:9.

Still, this really isn't a good excuse to screw 1920x1200 monitors. They should have the option of having 1920x1080 with black horizontal bars and full field of vision, rather than have the sides cut off.

Minsc

Gold Member
Noriym said:
Interesting, Very nice. Looks like Blizzard decided to make 16x9 the defacto standard. I think I'd prefer 16x10 but I think I heard someone that the 16x10 standard is going to phase out soon.

16x9 will be a must for the pros. I'll have to get used to the small bars top and bottom on my 1920x1200 display.:D

Yea, it's rather minimal. I may run it 1920x1080 myself, it's nice having a 1920x1200 monitor with 1:1 pixel mapping, gives you the best of all worlds. I'll just get small 1/2" bars on the top and bottom, and after a minute I won't even notice they are there.

That animated gif makes a good argument for running in 16:9, hopefully I remember to do so when I get the game.

NameGenerated said:
Yeah its a problem with Windows 7 and the latest SC patch. I think you can fix it if you play around with your desktop settings but its not a big deal because it doesn't really affect in-game play.

i'm gonna be waiting in the US West channel called "gaf" in SC1 if anyone is up for some matches.

a friend of mine is coming too. he's installing now.

Blizzard

Banned
Noriym said:
Interesting, Very nice. Looks like Blizzard decided to make 16x9 the defacto standard. I think I'd prefer 16x10 but I think I heard someone that the 16x10 standard is going to phase out soon. I imagine to be consistent with the TV market.

16x9 will be a must for the pros. I'll have to get used to the small bars top and bottom on my 1920x1200 display. :D
But I have a 1680x1050 monitor! That's closer to the golden ratio! Clearly movie standards are trying to mess up our ratio-vision! ;_;

(ok, auto, I won't be there until I finish a l4d game)

I feel like the beta has a much much higher emphasis on air superiority this time around.

Maybe this correlates with the focus on height and the advantages of units that can traverse terrain of different heights (like colossi and reapers).

I'm really loving the new terran air units, medivacs are awesome, as are banshees and ravens (and vikings are good replacement to valkyries).

I like the new detector towers as well, being able to see where units are on the fog of war is a neat concept.

a176

Banned
Aspect ratio is a non issue? Because fog of war+minimap stays the same regardless? I'm not sure I understand the curiosity.

MrMister said:
For those of you in the Beta who suck at Starcraft in general like me, but still play online, what's the copper league like? Is it full of pros who just want an easy win or are there actually players in that league I have a chance at actually winning against?

Seriously I don't want another SFIV on my hands where I get so mad at the online community whooping my ass where I quit multi forever. :lol

I had kinda mentioned this but I might not have been clear. Copper league is just as full of pros or people who are much better than you as the placement matches are. :-/ There's really nobody my level playing it seems, I'm usually carried by my teammate.

Oh, and one thing sorely missing from beta is a noob league, im pretty sure they mentioned something like thatg but the only thing even comparable is doing custom matches which as i've seen either have nobody in them or have two guys on one team which makes me wary of pubstomping.

NameGenerated said:
Can anyone else not connect to Battle.net on SC1? It says it's "unable to properly identify my application version" and to uninstall/reinstall it. I just installed it like 2 hours ago.

I had this prob when i updated using the ingame bnet update, i just downloaded the actual patch from somewhere from google and it installed OK

NameGenerated said:

thats normal, run it with chaoslauncher for windowed or mcbanes res hack, theres also an unofficial patch of sorts that will replaces some textures to make it not screwy colors in win 7

celebi23

Milabrega said:
No, no no. We're on UsEast tonight, channel Gaf. If we're not in the channel Whisper me MilabregaSC1.

Hrm, maybe I'll give this a shot. Just moved my StarCraft game folder back onto my MacBook Pro. Haven't played in a looong time though :lol

I actually prefer 16:9 if it's an equal pixel amount compared to 16:10 lol, I'm a big fan of the windows auto-half screen shortcut thingamajig

a176 said:
Aspect ratio is a non issue? Because fog of war+minimap stays the same regardless? I'm not sure I understand the curiosity.

i think it actually is a kind of an issue but they made it standard horizontal field additions instead of vertical, i'm sure they have some good reason for doing this. You cant run SC2 in less than 1024x768 anyway and with the standardized field additions adding 900 horizontal pixels or more with 1080p+ doesnt get you twice as much field area, it just adds the amount of field according to the bars noted above I believe is the way it works.

celebi23

Fuck, been stuck on this screen for about 5 minutes
BattleNetConnectionProblem.png

:lol

About how long does it take to connect to a server? I Like I said before, it's been awhile since I've played on Battle.net

celebi23 said:
Fuck, been stuck on this screen for about 5 minutes
BattleNetConnectionProblem.png

:lol

About how long does it take to connect to a server? I Like I said before, it's been awhile since I've played on Battle.net

its instantaneous for me, there must be a prob with your settings.

celebi23 said:
Where are the settings?

I just mean ports and stuff. If you know how to do the router port forwarding shenanigans, make sure to open 6112-6119 TCP in/out to your pc.

One thing I like to try is creating a game in war3 and running autorefresh, it always tells me if my ports are ok.

Either that or I check em with utorrent's port forward checker.

also make sure theres an exception in 7/xp firewall

Milabrega said:
No, no no. We're on UsEast tonight, channel Gaf. If we're not in the channel Whisper me MilabregaSC1.

oh i wish i had known that before we started our game :lol

one guy lagged out right after owning me with a reaver drop and then the other guy cleaned up the remnants with fucking zerglings of all things :lol

we both attacked at once and my army got tore up by lurkers. i hate lurkers.

Milabrega

Terproarg I can't whisper back I dunno how to spell your name, we're about 20 min into a ffa should be over in less than ten.

Looks like we are done, we'll be back in UsEast channel Gaf in a second.

Chris R

Ice Monkey said:
:lol That would be quite the feat.

Poster you were trying to help is currently playing on a Mac, OSX it looks like, hence the lawls

celebi23

Ice Monkey said:
I just mean ports and stuff. If you know how to do the router port forwarding shenanigans, make sure to open 6112-6119 TCP in/out to your pc.

One thing I like to try is creating a game in war3 and running autorefresh, it always tells me if my ports are ok.

Either that or I check em with utorrent's port forward checker.

Hrm, on a Mac. Been awhile since I set up port forwarding though. I first deleted the Battle.net Preferences. I then ran Traceroute & Nslookup & everything looks fine. I was able to make a connection to the USEast server via those Terminal commands. I also ran Telnet but, it keeps timing out (and ultimately failing) when trying to connect to the servers:

Code:
telnet useast.battle.net 6112
Trying 63.240.202.120...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.120: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.121...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.121: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.122...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.122: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.126...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.126: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.127...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.127: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.128...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.128: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.129...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.129: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.130...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.130: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.131...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.131: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.134...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.134: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.138...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.138: Operation timed out
Trying 63.240.202.139...
telnet: connect to address 63.240.202.139: Operation timed out
telnet: Unable to connect to remote host

Still stuck on the "Connecting to fastest server" screen :lol Any other Mac players have any advice?

aznpxdd

Phew...just played an epic game of 2v2, took an hour to finish.

2 Terrans vs. Z & P on that Co-op map (twilight something?)

Good thing we slowed down their economy early on with our attacks. The protoss went mass carriers/warp rays along with mothership while the zerg went mass mutas.

We end up killing each others bases and started running all over the place. In the end, I built a shit ton of turrets to defend myself and started building vikings.

If anyone is interested in the replay, let me know. :D

By the way, I could've sworn that originally when SC2 gameplay was revealed back in 2008, there was some off-screen footage of Terran gameplay which had the game set to some music which was a remixed version of the original Terran soundtrack (and I'm not talking about the orchestra music). Was I just imagining that or did they just decide to drop that track?

clav

Damn. I still don't have a beta key.

Any GAF newbs want to play the original sometime? I'm not good at all.

Have to install the darn game again for sc1.

celebi23

Any fellow Mac users have suggestions for my SC1 Battle.net connection issues? I've run through every connection test, that Blizzard suggests doing, and everything looks fine except for the Telnet test. I've run out of ideas

clav

Did you download the copy that was available through battle.net's website?

Register the CD key and download a copy there.

Try that and see if it solves your connection issues.

celebi23 said:
Any fellow Mac users have suggestions for my SC1 Battle.net connection issues? I've run through every connection test, that Blizzard suggests doing, and everything looks fine except for the Telnet test. I've run out of ideas

actually i remember trying to play sc or war3 on mac, it wasnt pretty. not sure what the prob is with mac but i was never able to connect either

celebi23

claviertekky said:
Did you download the copy that was available through battle.net's website?

Register the CD key and download a copy there.

Try that and see if it solves your connection issues.

My instal came from my original CD's. I got the StarCraft Battle Chest right around when it came out (1997/1998?). I used the OS X installer (originally had it installed in Classic on my iBook G4 :lol ) & I've updated it to the latest patch (1.16.1). I registered the CD Key on my Battle.net account already. Might try downloading the games from there tomorrow. Good idea :D

Ice Monkey said:
actually i remember trying to play sc or war3 on mac, it wasnt pretty. not sure what the prob is with mac but i was never able to connect either

Kinda good to know that I'm not the only one having problems. Hopefully there won't be this issue with the Mac version of the Beta. Maybe this is what's holding the Mac version? :lol

BishopLamont said:
No you can't, you gotta do some stuff first..
all you need to do is run as admin at every step of the way and it should work fine... originally the digital client was screwed up and wouldn't even work if you did that but I think they made some fixes since then

Top Bottom