• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

claviertekky said:
Problem: They're not pro.

Pro people don't play online. They train in LAN sessions sparring each other with a coach.

no lan :(

Sure just post sometime in the daytime and maybe we can get something going. What server do you usually play on? West or East?

I'm usually on west, but I made an account on East earlier today so I can go either way.

Sorry I missed the PMs from people wanting to play. It's too late for me, I need sleep. But we'll exchange info tomorrow and get some matches going. I only played one tonight!

Malfunky

Blizzard said:
Yeah, it doesn't say much for the online scene when he sounds reasonably intelligent over the mic, but when he's about to lose he just goes "how long have you ben hacking fagits", "reportd" and ragequits. :p

He's joking.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Pandaman said:
starcraft 2... has no lan.
i already new this but thinking about it now... this is bobby kodicks doing isnt it?

such a stupid call. think about this. you'll have to use up bandwidth to play with a goddamn roommate. both of you. easy way to chew through the 60gb caps up in canada

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
-COOLIO- said:
i already new this but thinking about it now... this is bobby kodicks doing isnt it?

such a stupid call. think about this. you'll have to use up bandwidth to play with a goddamn roommate. both of you. easy way to chew through the 60gb caps up in canada
cogico?

sad story bro, i have the same problem.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
autobzooty said:
The words are fake, the emotion is raw and true.

Somewhat. He has been playing for 4 days straight, took a break at some point to go emo over his life and now he is back at it. He seems sort of hard on himself when he loses a match and can get a little aggressive at times to the people in the chat room when they keep offering up random ass suggestions. But apart from those small moments he is really nice to everyone watching, answers questions etc.

Won

-COOLIO- said:

Kotick is not the only person on this planet who likes getting money out of his buisness.

I kinda dont like the new music, maybe itll grow on me but I prefer sc1, and only like 2 when i hear the sc1 tunes fade into the songs.

maintitle with its trumpets and choir sounds more like WoW. need to be darker less color, er wait what game are we talking about agin :lol

FoxSpirit

-COOLIO- said:

I dare you rack up 1 GB of pure game traffic in any game :D
But honestly, games usually generate very little traffic.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
This may be a stupid question and It may have already been addressed and not for the Beta but for when the game actually comes out. Will it be available for the Mac right away or at all?
My Mac would run the specs fine were as I would need to upgrade my PC which
i would like to avoid for now, so can someone please just let me know if I can play this Day 1 with a Mac? Thanks

Krispy Killa v3 said:
This may be a stupid question and It may have already been addressed and not for the Beta but for when the game actually comes out. Will it be available for the Mac right away or at all?
My Mac would run the specs fine were as I would need to upgrade my PC which
i would like to avoid for now, so can someone please just let me know if I can play this Day 1 with a Mac? Thanks

I'm certain it will be day 1 on Mac. Just like with Warcraft III and I think most of the previous Blizz games, both versions are on the same disc. Amazon lists it as PC/Mac, there aren't separate boxed versions. In fact, if you enter a serial on your battle.net profile for Starcraft 1, for example, you would be able to download it for both windows and Mac platforms.

Krispy Killa v3

Neo Member
Calavera520 said:
I'm certain it will be day 1 on Mac. Just like with Warcraft III and I think most of the previous Blizz games, both versions are on the same disc. Amazon lists it as PC/Mac, there aren't separate boxed versions. In fact, if you enter a serial on your battle.net profile for Starcraft 1, for example, you would be able to download it for both windows and Mac platforms.

Thank you friend you saved this long lost PC gamer some money and frustration.

FoxSpirit

ZombieSupaStar said:
they really dont, although the voice chat will eat up more than anything the game can do?

Well, depends on quality but yeah, 2player voice chat generates between 25MB to 50MB total traffic per hour, depending on quality and amount of speech.

No clue about SC2 traffic yet.

Minsc

Gold Member
Krispy Killa v3 said:

They've confirmed the disc will have both Windows and Mac installations on it, so you don't even have to buy a Mac version.

Krispy Killa v3 said:

Starcraft 2 is the first game for which I've considered upgrading. My Rev A. Core Duo 2.0ghz Macbook Pro is now over 5 years old, still running like a champ(<3 Mac). However, it only has a lowly 256 Radeon x1600 so I'd probably be limited to SC2 at the lowest quality level.

I'm anxiously awaiting the Mac beta waves to get a sense of how much I will need to upgrade, be it to a mac pro, the highest end 15" MBP or the 24" imac. The advantage with the iMac would of course be the 16x9 monitor aspect ratio which is the ideal for SC2.

Ok I know people have been posting these left and right, but would I be able to load this on my Dell Studio with these specs and what setting could I play on:

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400
Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4.0 GB
Vista SP 2

I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so this is very helpful. I recently put C&C:RA3 on it and I was disappointed to find that the computer I bought I think a year after it came out could only play on the lowest settings. I'd get over it for SC2.

O and what is the unit cap in 2? Did they up it past 200?

chris-013

DieH@rd said:
I request some hight quality replays from the PLATINUM ladder. Cmon gaf, deliver.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=112991

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/197040/KHB-P--v-Artosis-T--Steppes-of-War-SC2Replay.html => KHB(P) v Artosis(T) Steppes of War - Mothership!

My favorite replay :lol
Hum fast mothership better than fast expand !!?

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/197043/KHB-T--v-Jeehun-Z--Metalopolis-SC2Replay.html

KHB(T) v Jeehun(Z) Metalopolis - Avoiding banelings

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/197046/KHB-T--v-OverSky-P--Desert-Oasis-SC2Replay.html

KHB(T) v Oversky(P) Desert Oasis

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/197048/KHB-Z--v-Artosis-P--Lost-Temple-SC2Replay.html

KHB(Z) v Artosis(P) Lost Temple

http://www.megafileupload.com/en/file/197049/KHB-T--vs-KiwiKaki-P--Scrap-Station-SC2Replay.html

KHB(T) v KiwiKaki(P) Scrap Station
-Highlights include Thor Drop/Nuke

(T) imba.Adolf[RA] vs (P) mTw.Taker On Scrap Station

brucewaynegretzky said:
Ok I know people have been posting these left and right, but would I be able to load this on my Dell Studio with these specs and what setting could I play on:

Graphics Card: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3400
Processor: 2.4 Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
RAM: 4.0 GB
Vista SP 2

I'm not the most tech savvy person in the world so this is very helpful. I recently put C&C:RA3 on it and I was disappointed to find that the computer I bought I think a year after it came out could only play on the lowest settings. I'd get over it for SC2.

O and what is the unit cap in 2? Did they up it past 200?

no the unit cap is around 200, they probably figure it wont be long before you are down to less than 200 lings anyway since thats the only way you'd see it.

OK and let me make this perfectly clear to those of you who have similar questions about whether SC2 will run in the future:

SC2 RUNS AT 20FPS on all low at 1024X768 on my 1000HE netbook, which by the way has a 1.9GHZ SINGLE CORE ATOM and INTEL GMA 950 GRAPHICS.

If that's not mindblowing enough, the atom at 1.6GHZ is equivalent to a pentium 1GHZ. Yeah. Single core 1GHZ pentium with terrible integrated graphics can actually have a, you could say, worthwhile playing experience. You wouldn't have to go much higher to AT LEAST run at 30fps on all low during big battles (the atom would chug for sure).

I know this may not tell you exactly how well you'd play the game with those cards, honestly I and most others couldnt say for sure about high or more but medium should be OK, the game is still very beautiful on low anyways so it doesnt matter IMHO.

chris-013 said:

awesome. I'm about to go look at them. I can convert these all to youtube, does anyone have any suggestions for how I do them? Does anyone want me to do that?

I can either crappily attempt to follow the action on my own or just use the winning player's camera as the base. What's everyone's opinion?

Corum

Ice Monkey said:
awesome. I'm about to go look at them. I can convert these all to youtube, does anyone have any suggestions for how I do them? Does anyone want me to do that?

I can either crappily attempt to follow the action on my own or just use the winning player's camera as the base. What's everyone's opinion?

I'd appreciate that. The winning player's camera is probably the most efficient/easiest option.

Blizzard

Banned
Malfunky said:
He's joking.
That's presumably what it seems like, but from the perspective of the random other players online (i.e. us), all we would see is the "fagit" "reportd" messagees and the ragequit. Not really any way to know they were actually joking, or whether we were actually being reported as cheating. Not to mention him verbally being like "look at THIS map hacker, who comes in from down there". :p

(I was just observing though -- I've certainly done my own share of griping in online games, but my preferred insult is AN MAGET. :lol)

clav

Pandaman said:
starcraft 2... has no lan.
Point was in Starcraft 1 pros don't play online and bitch about hacks.

The pros you are likely to see now are just ones who didn't get invited to the private beta that Blizzard had exclusively for them.

autobzooty said:
no lan :(

I'm usually on west, but I made an account on East earlier today so I can go either way.

Sorry I missed the PMs from people wanting to play. It's too late for me, I need sleep. But we'll exchange info tomorrow and get some matches going. I only played one tonight!

Ah. I played a bulk of my games in college on East. My account reseted on West.

Just let me know dude.

FoxSpirit

DieH@rd said:
:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
Best match evet. KHB's response to mothership was priceless, also Artosis played perfectly.

Now, now, you make it sound like Artosis pulled off that stunt :lol

taoofjord

I'm looking for some gaf people to play this with. I'm an RTS beginner but really interested in making this the RTS I learn. If any other beginners want someone to play with, PM me and we can exchange battle.net names. I only ask that you have a mic, aren't a douche, and actually want to work together in 2v2 games.

w3stfa11

Ice Monkey said:

Yes, it'd be great if you could upload a few select ones on YouTube. You can just follow the winner's camera if that makes it easier for you.

taoofjord, Im interested in playing some games with ya but I'd prefer we find 2 more to play with regularly so I can learn without playing against likely pro strangers as seem to be online in matchmaking. Lemme know if you find some more.

Im currently in the process of recording some HD david kim videos plus that mothership one with KHB also a terran one he played well at when harassed by protoss photon cannons.

I NEED SOME HELP THOUGH. I got the settings to run at around 50fps on my laptop with high shaders and some other settings being medium, which I think looks the best when I record at 1600x900. THE PROBLEM IS that fraps is a piece of shit and is limited by HDD speed, which limits my recorded fps to sub-30fps on my HDD and I get random stutters on my SSD when constantly writing huge files to it which every 20s will drop from 40-50 fps to around 5-10 for a few seconds (during the infamous intel x25 load stuttering).

I REALLY NEED to know what an alternative ingame recorder is that hopefully doesnt write as huge files constantly as fraps does, or at least somehow can manage the framerate you can achieve in a normal game.

clav

w3stfa11 said:
That's for Blizzcon Attendees though.

What about the regular Joe who just opted in via battle.net and registered their Starcraft 1 CD keys?

Ice Monkey said:
taoofjord, Im interested in playing some games with ya but I'd prefer we find 2 more to play with regularly so I can learn without playing against likely pro strangers as seem to be online in matchmaking. Lemme know if you find some more.

Im currently in the process of recording some HD david kim videos plus that mothership one with KHB also a terran one he played well at when harassed by protoss photon cannons.

I NEED SOME HELP THOUGH. I got the settings to run at around 50fps on my laptop with high shaders and some other settings being medium, which I think looks the best when I record at 1600x900. THE PROBLEM IS that fraps is a piece of shit and is limited by HDD speed, which limits my recorded fps to sub-30fps on my HDD and I get random stutters on my SSD when constantly writing huge files to it which every 20s will drop from 40-50 fps to around 5-10 for a few seconds (during the infamous intel x25 load stuttering).

I REALLY NEED to know what an alternative ingame recorder is that hopefully doesnt write as huge files constantly as fraps does, or at least somehow can manage the framerate you can achieve in a normal game.

Use a desktop for recording. Your laptop is weak.

Pretty sure David Kim has a kickass highend desktop creating these videos.

Ice Monkey said:

Yes, please do youtube some of them. It kills me to not be able to watch these. I'd just use the winners camera if you think you have no action following capabilities.

Ok so who is David Kim ? A pro player ? Or a Blzzard employee that plays like a god to his game ? Or maybe a blizz employe that plays in pro tournament ?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
UnluckyKate said:
Ok so who is David Kim ? A pro player ? Or a Blzzard employee that plays like a god to his game ? Or maybe a blizz employe that plays in pro tournament ?

Blizzard employee. I think he's suppose to be the one in charge of game balance. He's in basically all of the battle reports, and he always wins.

Zzoram

UnluckyKate said:

David Kim is a balance tester for Starcraft 2 working at Blizzard. He used to be a pro Starcraft player, switched to Warcraft 3, and now Starcraft 2. He's good, but he won't be able to keep up with the current generation of pro Starcraft players once they've transitioned to Starcraft 2. He comes from an era when pro Starcraft players weren't as skilled as they are today.

The reason David Kim is the best at Starcraft 2 is simply because he's the best Starcraft player to have spent so much time with Starcraft 2.

KnightM7

Banned
To make the wait a little more bearable for non beta testers.. it seems the beta is close to being cracked to play single player against the AI. I dunno how close but Id guess a few more days.

ZealousD said:
Blizzard employee. I think he's suppose to be the one in charge of game balance. He's in basically all of the battle reports, and he always wins.

Battle Reports are amazing. The commentary are very interesting and make this video worthwatching for me (a complete new comer in the Starcraft universe... the design got me...) but are they real ? Or are they stage and/or scripted ? Like wrestling match, you know...

Zzoram said:
David Kim is a balance tester for Starcraft 2 working at Blizzard. He used to be a pro Starcraft player, switched to Warcraft 3, and now Starcraft 2. He's good, but he won't be able to keep up with the current generation of pro Starcraft players once they've transitioned to Starcraft 2. He comes from an era when pro Starcraft players weren't as skilled as they are today.

The reason David Kim is the best at Starcraft 2 is simply because he's the best Starcraft player to have spent so much time with Starcraft 2.

So the dude was a pro player and got into Blizzard as a reall employe in charge of the balance of the game ? That's so awesome !

I've already seen people saying he has been defeated by some in the SC2 beta... I guess it's inevitable. At a point, you just can't win everything... I wish there were more replays going on youtube so I can enjoy them...

I don't remember the details behind the "no lan" thing....are we sure they just don't make you connect to Battle.net to authenticate and make sure you're not a pirate? And then play LAN with no lag while just being passively connected to battle.net...?

If not, why not? :(

Draft

autobzooty said:
I don't remember the details behind the "no lan" thing....are we sure they just don't make you connect to Battle.net to authenticate and make sure you're not a pirate? And then play LAN with no lag while just being passively connected to battle.net...?

If not, why not? :(
Blizzard is "exploring" that as an option.

Top Bottom