• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
oh those carriers taste so good, nom, nom, nom.

dark archons are so moe.

GG's everyone, these last few days of gaf starcraft have been great. :p

Milabrega

GG's all. That last FFA had such a great ending.

"When resources are limited, energy isn't" :lol That was a nice win Pandaman, stole it right from cutebabyelephant. It didn't have to go down like that NeoUltima, and you know it!

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Milabrega said:
GG's all. That last FFA had such a great ending.

"When resources are limited, energy isn't" :lol That was a nice win Pandaman, stole it right from cutebabyelephant. It didn't have to go down like that NeoUltima, and you know it!
i felt so bad when teal corsaired cute, i wanted those carriers for myself!

i was lucky he ignored the carrier i stole inside your base, it let me get his last observer and
DT his last mineral line. Neo was great though, he attacked me and then noticed i was rolling nothing but dark archons and instantly allied me so i could get to the carriers, so boss. xD

Campster

Do you like my tight white sweater? STOP STARING
Vikings: Awesome anti-air, decent ground units, but never at the same effin' time. :(

Still, I won a decent match against a Zerg player today in an obnoxious hour-long game of cat and mouse where he would keep popping up new hatcheries every time I took one out. If one thing hasn't changed it's how damned fast the Zerg can expand.

fatty

Yeah, those were some fun games we played on Starcraft 1 tonight. First time in a long time (if ever) that I've played an 8 player game.

aznpxdd

Masta_Killah said:
Thought this was going to be a video. :(

Haha sorry.

Campster said:
Vikings: Awesome anti-air, decent ground units, but never at the same effin' time. :(

Still, I won a decent match against a Zerg player today in an obnoxious hour-long game of cat and mouse where he would keep popping up new hatcheries every time I took one out. If one thing hasn't changed it's how damned fast the Zerg can expand.

Vikings are only awesome against armored air units though, mutas raped mine today. Luckily I had 4 Thors around, which are great against light air units.

I've noticed if you tech with Terran, they really don't have any anti-air ground units. Goliaths were awesome anti-air units...

spoon!

aznpxdd said:
They don't serve the same role, but still, Hive lurks is just way too late.
Apparently Ultras do splash damage now. I've not not seen it yet, but Ultras w/ splash and cracklings sounds like madness.

aznpxdd

spoon! said:
Apparently Ultras do splash damage now. I've not not seen it yet, but Ultras w/ splash and cracklings sounds like madness.

Yeah but still, lurkers in the first game were more of a defensive/cloaked offensive unit which causes massive damage without detectors. Ultras with splash is still more of a tank unit than anything.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
spoon! said:
its glorious, i saw an unbarracks unmake 5 marines at once. beautiful.

Insaniac

anybody know of a site that has the comprehensive current unit stats/abilities for the beta? I checked the Sc wiki but it still seems like it isn't fully updated

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
wait u can save replays in SC2 Beta.. i guess i havent figured out how to do that :p

All of your games are automatically saved. You just go to your replay folder and you can select which ones to save permanently.

Man

How glorious is that rewind functionality in SC2 replays? You better savor it (first game ever).
If anyone could upload a YouTube clip demonstrating replay rewinding it would be appreciated.

my latest fun times in sc2 beta was massing resources with protoss and trying out different things with billions of carriers attacking things, the mothership doing a black hole a billion times as I stick 200 supply's worth of either carriers, probes, DT, archons or stalkers into the black hole, also moving these groups of 100 or so of a given unit (at 2 supply each) around the terran-city 2v2 map up and down ramps and through the mothership cloak and again the black hole.

Also, blinking probably 75 stalkers (ran out of resources) up and down ramps or cliffs and realizing the blink is kinda bugged depending on how many stalkers you use. At times the blink would just buggily blink them below the cliff when you try to get them all to blink up the cliff.

if you like you can try and convince me to turn it into a FRAPSed/dubbed/HQ HD youtube tonight if you really want it, and what settings to have it on if you so desire. It'd be nice to know it was wanted since my 400 zergling rush video has had 8000 views so far.

What really killed me was whoever at at top middle sent like 2 dozen zealots streaming into my base when I was killing them and took out my ground army I was building to try and break you with :/.

That one cannon you had that stopped me from mining part of my natural forever was so annoying too lol.

Man

Freki said:
Gif is from the Teamliquid forum:

sc2_fov36k6.gif

I'm relieved that PC monitor creators and software devs alike are embracing 16:9 (why did they even jump on 16:10 to begin with.. urk, 'I'm different!'). The new line of Macs released last fall are all 16:9 and most new pc monitors.

Man the details in the game are so sick..

I just watched a few of my replays and decided to take advantage of zooming in a bit more.

Zealots killing Marines.. there are 3 different death animations for Marines with Zealot Swords..

1) Marine Cut in Half lotsa blood (Cut at hips)
2) Marine Cut in Half lotsa blood (Cut at hips).. Marines legs though continue to run around with no top for 2-3 secs before falling over
3) Marine Cut Vertically in half.. Kung Lao Mortal Kombat 2 Style lotsa blood.

Blizzard

Banned
Insaniac said:
hahaahh Mass SCV counters mass thor
Yeah, I saw that. :lol I think I'm going to bed if no one jumps in for a SC1 match in the next 5 minutes on here. :p *edit* Okay, going to bed here too. Might give it a shot tomorrow afternoon.

clav

autobzooty said:
I don't suppose anyone is up for any SC1 at this hour of the evening? :)
Can we try later today?

I need some sleep.

I'm so-so. Still somewhat of a noob.

Blizzard said:
Yeah, I saw that. :lol I think I'm going to bed if no one jumps in for a SC1 match in the next 5 minutes on here. :p

I'm not very good. Trying to find my CD now. We need some sleep now though.

Ok it looks like I already have it installed with the broodwar.mpq. My east and west accounts are still up.

evlcookie

but ever so delicious
The starcraftmethod stream is starting to shit itself on me. I'm guessing it's my connection or something. It's the only stream i've been watching too.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
evlcookie said:
The starcraftmethod stream is starting to shit itself on me. I'm guessing it's my connection or something. It's the only stream i've been watching too.
I enjoy watching him play but his screwing off between matches lasts far longer than the matches themselves. I'm all for someone offering commentary after a match explaining what they were thinking and what went right/wrong and their thoughts, that's all well and good. For someone to just drone on for as long as he does about nonsense just kills it for me though. Ultimately people watch live SCII streams to watch someone play and perhaps learn a bit, not to give some dude a god complex and learn everything about his life.

just decided to try out some vs. comp 4 player ffa while i tried to see how long it'd take to tech brood lords.

It is basically a harder to achieve unit than the ultralisks but damn are they worth it. their attacks are so effing deadly it's insane.

I got the idea from watching that 90 minute TvZ replay, I was thinking all he had to do with his +/- 7k min was spend some on corrupters and brood lords and he'd have won within 40 or 50 minutes. He had a major resource advantage there and he squandered it.

Not only do they do guardian-like damage although you have to buy a corrupter first instead of a muta, but they have carrier-like secondary damage as well. Basically a guardian mixed with a carrier and you dont even have to buy the broodlings!

I am EXTREMELY itching to see brood lords done right in some competitive gameplay but honestly, when it comes to the pros I bet they just mass mutas instead since they require MUCH less tech. i.e.: just a spire, no hive necessary.

Blizzard

Banned
oxrock said:
I enjoy watching him play but his screwing off between matches lasts far longer than the matches themselves. I'm all for someone offering commentary after a match explaining what they were thinking and what went right/wrong and their thoughts, that's all well and good. For someone to just drone on for as long as he does about nonsense just kills it for me though. Ultimately people watch live SCII streams to watch someone play and perhaps learn a bit, not to give some dude a god complex and learn everything about his life.
Yeah, it doesn't say much for the online scene when he sounds reasonably intelligent over the mic, but when he's about to lose he just goes "how long have you ben hacking fagits", "reportd" and ragequits. :p

Blizzard said:
Yeah, it doesn't say much for the online scene when he sounds reasonably intelligent over the mic, but when he's about to lose he just goes "how long have you ben hacking fagits", "reportd" and ragequits. :p

Yeah, I've seen a lot of pro players who think they can't be beat start acting like children when they lose a match. Really annoying. I always find another stream when it happens. Nothing worse than a sore loser.

clav

autobzooty said:
Yeah, I've seen a lot of pro players who think they can't be beat start acting like children when they lose a match. Really annoying. I always find another stream when it happens. Nothing worse than a sore loser.
Problem: They're not pro.

Pro people don't play online. They train in LAN sessions sparring each other with a coach.

autobzooty said:
I'm still pretty nooby too. We can learn from each other :)

Sure just post sometime in the daytime and maybe we can get something going. What server do you usually play on? West or East?

Hazaro said:
Disappointing end game management by the Zerg.
Nice to see some late game stuff though.
Holy shit..

Just watched that 1hr 30 min replay..

That zerg player saying "You should just leave you can't stretch this out" like 30 mins in.. then losing...!!

Hahaha

That Terran was smart.. he mixed air and ground.. not a ton of air but enough to harrass and rape his resources.

Red Zerg never rebuilt resources .. and when he did it wasnt fast enough or too late.

He never made any air but 2 mutas.. and if he did he woulda taken out a majority of those tanks and bases.. at leasing with Brood Flyer guys..

Ugh that was painful to watch. He kept massing hydras vs tanks.. wtf?

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
autobzooty said:
I'm still up for a match preferably on iCCup due to no lag. Otherwise just send me Steam/contact, etc.

PM'd you vent info.

Top Bottom