• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

JoeMartin

evlcookie said:
I wouldn't be surprised by this time next week there would be a single application that allowed you to pick a map and ai difficulty then load SC2 with those settings. It sounds like they have basic AI difficulty implemented right now, although i could be reading wrong.

You can play against any AI setting (interchanging the AI settings is a slight pain) on any map as of now by using a single application.

JoeMartin

Well all the levels are available (very easy, easy, normal, hard, very hard, insane, SC1 AI), but everything below very hard don't provide too much of a challenge for a remotely competent player.

JoeMartin

Upon further use it appears all of the AI levels are equally as awful.

They build some barracks then spam basic t1 units, the difficulty level determining the level of spam, which in any case isn't exactly hard to beat.

So really nothing to care about yet.

deathberry

Neo Member
Can I play SC II beta on a separate pc? Like I want to install it on my work laptop and see it's performance
and play it during lunch break
. I remember that Blizzard has my home PC in my Beta profile. If I play it on my laptop, will it fuck anything up?

Blizzard

Banned
Just asking one more time in case any mods are reading this thread: Is it against the rules for us to discuss hacks/cracks of the beta? It seems like it would be obviously against the rules to talk about the full version since that'd be piracy, but everyone seems to be happily talking about beta cracks with no mod input, so is that tacit approval that it's okay until full release? :p

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
JoeMartin said:
Upon further use it appears all of the AI levels are equally as awful.

They build some barracks then spam basic t1 units, the difficulty level determining the level of spam, which in any case isn't exactly hard to beat.

So really nothing to care about yet.

Sounds like the different levels are more built more for the campaign than multiplayer. Are you getting the same results on Very Hard?

JoeMartin

Blizzard said:
Just asking one more time in case any mods are reading this thread: Is it against the rules for us to discuss hacks/cracks of the beta? It seems like it would be obviously against the rules to talk about the full version since that'd be piracy, but everyone seems to be happily talking about beta cracks with no mod input, so is that tacit approval that it's okay until full release? :p

Yeah I dunno, some people think of it as morally grey, but meh I've been waiting forever and have bought several copies of SC over the years, so playing a cracked offline beta with shitty AI hardly seems reprehensible.

aznpxdd

That's me. :D

But that honestly was the first time I played Z and P in SC2. I just had the builds down since I watched some replays.

aznpxdd said:
That's me. :D

But that honestly was the first time I played Z and P in SC2. I just had the builds down since I watched some replays.
Ah. I never knew this was your GAF name. I've played TF2 with you a bit, no?

Lost a shit ton of 2v2s, still playing though. Crazy shit I've seen:

-Terran dropping their command center in my ally's base and destroying them. I almost lost the game by watching the drama; we still managed to win

-Zerg roach rush: burrowing right into my base and destroying my drones. So awesome I've put it in my own strategy and won a couple games with it.

add me, but I'm sharing this account with my brother; if I don't respond to a whisper, chances are my brother is playing. He's exclusively protoss, and better than me lol

StonyJackson.phoenixdark

KuroNeeko

I don't know guys... seems like if someone has the skills to crack a beta like that they could infiltrate your computer pretty easily.

Aren't you worried about them smuggling something in there?

So I'm oftenly watching the Starcraft Method live stream now, and hilarious things happened every day on this channel. Lumi is such an amazing player... It's awesome to watch him owning, getting big headed and then rage quitting for shit :lol

http://www.livestream.com/starcraftmethod

The last game that ended moments ago, they rape the enemy base with 8 nukes in about 10 seconds. It was pretty insane.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
UnluckyKate said:
So I'm oftenly watching the Starcraft Method live stream now, and hilarious things happened every day on this channel. Lumi is such an amazing player... It's awesome to watch him owning, getting big headed and then rage quitting for shit :lol

The last game that ended moments ago, they rape the enemy base with 8 nukes in about 10 seconds. It was pretty insane.
When Lumi's actually playing he's fun to watch, sadly he rage quits over nothing sometimes and is known to bullshit in between games for far longer than anyone EVER! He plays really well though and I've watched him a lot.

mcrae

theres actually an ai out now that is decently hard. no rushing, but it comes in with 15 mutas and 15 hydras when its zerg and owns ass.

i think it uses cheats though, but hey if you want a challenge... its there.

mcrae

KuroNeeko said:
I don't know guys... seems like if someone has the skills to crack a beta like that they could infiltrate your computer pretty easily.

Aren't you worried about them smuggling something in there?

why would they want to?

remember, these are starcraft fans hacking a starcraft game so the community can play it, as opposed to .... i dunno, 'evil' hackers who only roam the internet to steal money from people, who have happened upon starcraft as a way to get trojans in peoples computers. AKA there are far more simpler ways to get people to download .exe's, than hacking a game such as this. and you just trust that the ones who are hacking the game cause they want to, don't also want to fuck up your computer. lol. finally, you gotta make sure you are downloading from the correct places, cause guaranteed if you just google 'sc2 hack' a good % of the sites listed will contain spyware/malware/whatever

Hey guys - just wondering: If I sign up now for the Beta, how long of a wait is it looking like to get invited to download it? Is it worth it at this point?

clip

crisdecuba said:
Hey guys - just wondering: If I sign up now for the Beta, how long of a wait is it looking like to get invited to download it? Is it worth it at this point?

You can download it from any major gaming download site, but getting a key is completely random at this point.

Yaweee

UnluckyKate said:

Holy shit, the guy is referring to the idle SCV button as a "handicap feature" that you shouldn't use if you want to get good. He sounds... dumb. It's a useful feature that was in Warcraft 3.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yaweee said:
Holy shit, the guy is referring to the idle SCV button as a "handicap feature" that you shouldn't use if you want to get good. He sounds... dumb. It's a useful feature that was in Warcraft 3.
He is kidding.

nilbog21

Banned
Yo what is the difficulty on the Ai crack "3.0" ? The Ai is ridiculously easy, but i used to play sc1 competitively

how do i get the hardest difficulty?

Sh1ner

nilbog21 said:
Yo what is the difficulty on the Ai crack "3.0" ? The Ai is ridiculously easy, but i used to play sc1 competitively

how do i get the hardest difficulty?

Jesus there's a 3.0 now? Those pesky pirates do work fast, how long have they been cracking it for?

derder

Sh1ner said:
Jesus there's a 3.0 now? Those pesky pirates do work fast, how long have they been cracking it for?
Day 1.

If Blizzard is smart, all they need to do is figure out the people who are releasing these cracks, then give them beta invites :lol

So yeah, I'm of the opinion that they should remove chrono boost altogether from Protoss and/or change it so that you need to research it. They already have the advantage of not requiring probes to build structures and the strongest tier 1 units. Should be researchable from the robotics bay imo

Zzoram

Freakinchair said:
So yeah, I'm of the opinion that they should remove chrono boost altogether from Protoss and/or change it so that you need to research it. They already have the advantage of not requiring probes to build structures and the strongest tier 1 units. Should be researchable from the robotics bay imo

Queen needs to be built, orbital needs to be researched, chrono just exists? Of those macro mechanics, orbital is the weakest. All it can do is boost mining or scan the map (the supply depot thing is worth far less than a mule and should never be done). Extra larvae or chrono boost are good at both increasing the rate of worker production and troop production. It's no wonder that Terran had to get so much buffing in that patch, they are fundamentally gimped.

Zzoram said:
Queen needs to be built, orbital needs to be researched, chrono just exists? Of those macro mechanics, orbital is the weakest. All it can do is boost mining or scan the map (the supply depot thing is worth far less than a mule and should never be done). Extra larvae or chrono boost are good at both increasing the rate of worker production and troop production. It's no wonder that Terran had to get so much buffing in that patch, they are fundamentally gimped.

Actually, scanning the map is probably the most OP thing out of any of the races options :lol

Its so incredibly useful for seeing what the enemy is building - you just counter. Unless that thing is air, then you lose by default.

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
Freakinchair said:
Actually, scanning the map is probably the most OP thing out of any of the races options :lol

Its so incredibly useful for seeing what the enemy is building - you just counter. Unless that thing is air, then you lose by default.
I kind of have to agree, information is power. Although you have to be good enough to know what to do with that information, as a casual player you're better off with the other options.

Freakinchair said:

Speaking of scanning, I've hardly seen any real quantity or good use of stealth units so far in the things I've seen. At least not in the early game that they used to be available, especially zerg v terran, since they no longer have to worry about lurkers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Freakinchair and I tested it out a bit yesterday. Even knowing the the Gateway rush was coming, it was incredibly hard to defend against it, and even then, I was contained in my base. I agree that Chrono needs to be researched.

Anyways, as for the AI maps, keep in mind this isn't representative of the game's AI. I'm guessing people have been toying with the map format and found that it's similar to WC3, which allowed you to program an AI.

Orangepeel said:
Speaking of scanning, I've hardly seen any real quantity or good use of stealth units so far in the things I've seen. At least not in the early game that they used to be available, especially zerg v terran, since they no longer have to worry about lurkers.
Roaches : ( Its a god send agst those.

traveler

Not Wario
TurtleSnatcher said:
lol Why do people streaming think we all want to listen to their horrible ipod playlists?

Must be a Blizzard tradition. It's always frustrated me how impossible it is to find a WoW raid video with the actual ingame music.

LiveWire

Holy crap I actually won a match Battlecruiser rushing. :lol I wish I could share the replay, I should've lost that game so bad. My opponent had three fully-equipped bases, and I wiped them all out because of good micro with the 'cruisers and the fact that he only had limited anti-air (but a SHITLOAD of speed lots and walkers). Had he just found my expansion instead of my starting base the match would have been over in 10 minutes.

Makes me think a lot about how to scout effectively and what the potential starting positions are for each game mode for each map. Is that info available anywhere? Are there routes that you can take with a worker or fighter to effectively determine an enemy's location the quickest?

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Zzoram said:
All it can do is boost mining or scan the map (the supply depot thing is worth far less than a mule and should never be done).

If you need a unit very quickly and you need supplies, then I can see the benefit of using it.

LiveWire said:
Holy crap I actually won a match Battlecruiser rushing. :lol I wish I could share the replay, I should've lost that game so bad. My opponent had three fully-equipped bases, and I wiped them all out because of good micro with the 'cruisers and the fact that he only had limited anti-air (but a SHITLOAD of speed lots and walkers). Had he just found my expansion instead of my starting base the match would have been over in 10 minutes.

Makes me think a lot about how to scout effectively and what the potential starting positions are for each game mode for each map. Is that info available anywhere? Are there routes that you can take with a worker or fighter to effectively determine an enemy's location the quickest?

really protoss needs carriers/void rays/mothership to be effective in the late game, which REALLY SUCKS because their air is so OP it's nigh-impossible to counter if done right. I had a similar experience last night with zerg, I just massed mutas and completely destroyed a huge force of colossi and chargelots and stalkers. He even brought out some archons and HTs but they were no match.

The potential starting positions should be relatively obvious with a given map, its just the four corners or some variation on that.

I think your best bet for scouting is just both scouting early and when you scout, just click where the probe or whatnot should go on your minimap so you can spend the time doing something else other than microing the probe too much.

Then if he starts chasing the probe, do some shift click moving in their base and again go back and do some macro, theres a good chance they could try desperately to kill the probe, wasting valuable early time they could be doing anything else.

aznpxdd

I guess he could have gotten phoenix? I'm not sure how good they are, but they are supposedly made to counter light air units right? Sairs in SC1 absolutely owned the tier 1 air units.

The fact that mutalisks don't all occupy the same space anymore and therefore can't be taken out with on solid aoe attack is intimidating to me :lol

especially since my favorite unit, the goliath, is now gone. :( who should terran use for good ground defense from anti-air? i know the transformer thingy is pretty effective in air to air combat, but what else is there? seems like everyone's anti-air got super nerfed in SC2.

thors are a good general unit to hit both ground and AA, but if in a pinch, really in any game you should have 3000 extra minerals at a certain point so just mass marines with stim and combat shield. medivacs too to keep the majority of them alive.

Top Bottom