• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

StarCraft 2 Beta |OT| (Beta Now Reopen, GL HF)

KaYotiX

Banned
Anksta said:
I havent received a beta key yet. But I had a question for those that have been playing the beta and have extensively played Company Of Heroes / Dawn Of War 2.

How does it feel to play more "classic" RTS rather than the current generation of Tactics based RTSs?

One could argue that even Warcraft 3 was quite Tactics based (although no where to the extent that COH/DOW2 are). In that respect SC2 seems like a step backwards of having no attachment to units or their abilities. I'm not necessarily saying thats a bad thing (because I havent tried it yet), but for those that have... is it a bad thing?

It brings a smile to my face, i love CoH and DOW2 but their is nothing better than a good old classic RTS. Building your base and getting units out ASAP and scouting to see what the other guy is doing then stomping him is amazing.

Its even fun when you get stomped also becasue their is always something to learn.

mcrae

v5.0 of ai is out, and it supposedly quite good. rects well to rushes, intelligent use of workers as attackers, etc etc. progress on this is incredible... less than a week and a nearly fully functioning ai, wow.

So Blizz has said that Wings of Liberty will have around 30 missions. Has anyone seen anything about the length of the subsequent zerg and protoss expansions? Will they be equal in single player campaign length to the 'full game' terran campaign we'll all be buying in a couple months?

Calavera520 said:
So Blizz has said that Wings of Liberty will have around 30 missions. Has anyone seen anything about the length of the subsequent zerg and protoss expansions? Will they be equal in single player campaign length to the 'full game' terran campaign we'll all be buying in a couple months?

Ah, that sucks. I figured we'd be getting campaigns for all races in the initial release.

Tenks

LocoMrPollock said:
Ah, that sucks. I figured we'd be getting campaigns for all races in the initial release.

Have you been following SC2's development for what, a week?

It's basically a demo. I think we're alright, so long as you don't mention where it can be found or link to it.

Just because you view it as a demo doesn't make it so. It still requires downloading the beta off a torrent, getting a loader, getting AI cracked maps and downloading an AI. I'd say that hardly sounds like a demo.

Anyways I can faceroll as zerg and protoss and can't even manage to win as terran. Not sure whats going on with that.

LocoMrPollock said:
nah, not quite. They're releasing three games, ><

Tenks said:

Just because you view it as a demo doesn't make it so. It still requires downloading the beta off a torrent, getting a loader, getting AI cracked maps and downloading an AI. I'd say that hardly sounds like a demo.
Eh, I think gamespy or one of those big sites was hosting the file for the client, so that part at least isnt shady at all, but really, I'll admit I've been playing with the cracked ai and messing around with builds, learning units and their abilities. It's not like I won't buy SC2 in a heartbeat, hell I'll screenshot my battle.net game management page if I have to, to testify towards that.

Minsc

Gold Member
Calavera520 said:

That's the plan.

One of the reasons they aren't going 10/10/10 (x3), and just doing 30 (x3) is because they want to develop a bigger story. Leveling through 10 maps isn't going to give you the same sense of scope as leveling through 30, when it comes to building and researching tech for your army, and exploring different systems. It would be too fragmented for what they are trying to create, I think, to split it up over years like that.

What I'm wondering about for the retail releases is what, if any, additions to the core gameplay they may try and introduce with them, such as units or buildings or both!

I also wonder how confusing it will get if the expansions' added units show up in multiplayer.

I imagine the new units will be for all races like Brood War, two or three per race.

I've been poking around on a starcraft wiki and it seems that nearly all units are returning in the terran campaign, medics, goliaths, vultures. Really looking forward to the map editor creations with people working in some older and scrapped though fully modeled units into special maps, mods etc.

Tenks said:

I don't really follow any game's development. I was just assuming it would be like the first.

Okay, a limited access demo, jackass.

Minsc

Gold Member
Orangepeel said:
What I'm wondering about for the retail releases is what, if any, additions to the core gameplay they may try and introduce with them, such as units or buildings or both!

I'd expect additional terrain / maps, additional units & upgrade paths, much like Brood Wars. They'll have to outdo themselves a little as well I believe, so something more on top of that too.

Whatever they do, you can be sure it will be way too good to skip. Blizzard is the king of game expansions.

you can see the game as a demo but it is a common thing for developers to let people get hands on with the product well before launch to balance multiplayer. It's an unfortunate thing for them, and fortunate thing for us that this translates into getting access well before release. If there was some way they could avoid this you can bet your ass they would.

In stark contrast is a demo that is meant to either hype up a game weeks before its release or give you a taste of the game so you go to the store and buy it right away. Limited units, a few campaign missions, that type of thing.

When you get full multiplayer access of the entirety of the multiplayer experience except for custom maps, big team gameplay (prolly added later), you can't call that a "demonstration", its more like a huge chunk of the full product, the part they want us to test, early.

If you go do quality assurance, either free (like sc2 beta) or paid (as a job), for a developer pre-release, do you call that a demo or beta/game-testing?

I at least find this the case for starcraft 2. Now when you take the specifics of a "beta" such as COD4, well I can see why you'd call that a multiplayer demo since you are cut off at a certain point, like couldn't get past level 10 or 15, no martyrdom is what i specifically remember.

From the StarCraft Method live stream, yesterday:

capturedcran20100301064.png

Yep, 12 Nukes at once on that base...

Minsc said:
I'd expect additional terrain / maps, additional units & upgrade paths, much like Brood Wars. They'll have to outdo themselves a little as well I believe, so something more on top of that too.

Whatever they do, you can be sure it will be way too good to skip. Blizzard is the king of game expansions.

It's a shame the first Diablo never got a proper expansion.

aznpxdd

autobzooty said:
The fact that mutalisks don't all occupy the same space anymore and therefore can't be taken out with on solid aoe attack is intimidating to me :lol

especially since my favorite unit, the goliath, is now gone. :( who should terran use for good ground defense from anti-air? i know the transformer thingy is pretty effective in air to air combat, but what else is there? seems like everyone's anti-air got super nerfed in SC2.

Goliath was never really good against mutalisk though. Goliath were the shit against armored units, but their damage were cut in half against light air units such as mutalisk. Viking is pretty much the exact same unit as goliath, but more mobile. They are awesome against armored air units, and do decent ground damage.

MMM + stim should still be the best answer against any 1st and 2nd tier zerg units in SC2. Thors I think get a +6-8 on light air units, but I wouldn't get them just to counter mutas.

Whats a good video capture to use to record your replays and put them on YouTube?

FRAPS trial only does 1 minutes worth and I have this amazing 2v2 where I lost my partner early on.. and had to recover and won 2v1 amazingly.

TheExodu5

Banned
Tenks said:

Actually the client has been freely available off sites like FilePlanet and FilePlay (not sure if they took it down though). It's not really a big deal since it doesn't affect Blizzard in any negative fashion other than the fact that hackers are getting a headstart on figuring out how the client works. The maps are simply custom maps, which I assume have been hacked easily as they probably share a similar format with WC3 maps (which had programmable AI).

TurtleSnatcher said:
Whats a good video capture to use to record your replays and put them on YouTube?

FRAPS trial only does 1 minutes worth and I have this amazing 2v2 where I lost my partner early on.. and had to recover and won 2v1 amazingly.

If you take a lot of videos and screenshots, I recommend buying FRAPS. Great application, and you get full video capture and the ability to save screenshots in formats like PNG with the paid version.

TheExodu5 said:
Actually the client has been freely available off sites like FilePlanet and FilePlay (not sure if they took it down though). It's not really a big deal since it doesn't affect Blizzard in any negative fashion other than the fact that hackers are getting a headstart on figuring out how the client works. The maps are simply custom maps, which I assume have been hacked easily as they probably share a similar format with WC3 maps (which had programmable AI).

If you take a lot of videos and screenshots, I recommend buying FRAPS. Great application, and you get full video capture and the ability to save screenshots in formats like PNG with the paid version.
K just boguht it.. gonna record :)

aznpxdd

Turtle, if you are that good, be my partner. :D

I need a good allie for 2v2 in platinum league. I just lost a 2v2 game with a random allie and my rank dropped from 4th to 24th in my division. :(

aznpxdd said:
Turtle, if you are that good, be my partner. :D

I need a good allie for 2v2 in platinum league. I just lost a 2v2 game with a random allie and my rank dropped from 4th to 24th in my division. :(
Im not that amazing lol..

I just had this insane win that i wanted to share.. guess since I bought FRAPs that I may as well share other stuff as well.

TheExodu5

Banned
The FRAPS video will be very large, I believe last time I made a YouTube video I used MediaEncoder to encode it in h.264 for YouTube upload.

aznpxdd

TurtleSnatcher said:
Im not that amazing lol..

I just had this insane win that i wanted to share.. guess since I bought FRAPs that I may as well share other stuff as well.

What league are you in?

KnightM7

Banned
SuperAndroid17 said:
theres a cheating one right now if thats anything
Yeah its pretty decent. Played 4 player lost temple using the cheating AI.
Terran came at me with a mix of tanks and BCs, then right after Protoss came at me with a dozen DTs and 6 archons.
Zerg got killed off early by the comp so I dunno about them.

TheExodu5 said:
The FRAPS video will be very large, I believe last time I made a YouTube video I used MediaEncoder to encode it in h.264 for YouTube upload.
Im using windows movie maker now.. I even added my own commentary (though i now know to turn down SC2 volume while recording cuz you cant hear me during big fights) :((

Apath

I've been playing WC3 1v1 matches in anticipation for this, and I have to say, I really hate WC3's ladder matches :lol

Not only do units take forever to die, but heroes are WAY too central of a role in a match, where it's an absolute must to make an alter first to be considered effective. Not only that but I've been trying to attack the other player right away and circumnavigate creeping, only to find that my opponent can creep a spot and get back to base before I can make my way across the map. And because of creeps I cannot expand while I'm stalling my opponent and attacking since I need my army to clear the gold mine.

I'm like 1-3 right now. My won match was thanks to a constant suppression of defended footmen against a night elf, followed by some much needed support from dragon hawks to cloud the towers and harass his base. Tried to do the same for the rest only to be met with crushing defeat =[

Hey Blizzard, it is my birthday today. Just sayin.

I saw my friend playing some with the AI crack at his house eariler. Man, when hackers focus on something they sure do get results.

KaYotiX

Banned
darkressurection said:
Hey Blizzard, it is my birthday today. Just sayin.

I saw my friend playing some with the AI crack at his house eariler. Man, when hackers focus on something they sure do get results.

Im sure Blizzard isnt mad about any of it, hell i wouldnt be surprised if they leaked it in the first place to see what they have to guard against down the road....

KaYotiX said:
Im sure Blizzard isnt mad about any of it, hell i wouldnt be surprised if they leaked it in the first place to see what they have to guard against down the road....
Yeah, I think unless crackers make a real breakthrough it won't matter too much to Blizzard. The fact that you have to use some sheisty looking loader and can't even choose your race or anything is still way to jank for me.

Sh1ner

I downloaded the beta, waiting for the beta key, but went into video settings it cant detect my video card, I have an ATI 5850 ¬¬
My specs are as follows:
2.8ghz e6600 core 2 due running at 3.4ghz
4gb ddr 2 ram
shitload of HD space

can I run the game at max settings at 1440*900? Its autoing everything to low :O

-Mikey-

darkressurection said:
Yeah, I think unless crackers make a real breakthrough it won't matter too much to Blizzard. The fact that you have to use some sheisty looking loader and can't even choose your race or anything is still way to jank for me.

You choose your race by loading up a replay with w/e faction you want to play as being the same as the first player in the replay. My problem is getting the replays to work. : /

i want more people to experience the game so I hate having to say this, but....

Once blizzard opens up 3v3 and 4v4 it doesn't matter much about the crack unless they cracked matchmaking which will certainly get a blizz response. It'll then be a great way to do something in the beta until you get invited because 3v3 and 4v4 is WHERE ITS EFFING AT.

Zzoram

TheExodu5 said:
Actually the client has been freely available off sites like FilePlanet and FilePlay (not sure if they took it down though).

I just looked, it's been taken down. It just recently occured to me that downloading the client in advance, even if I don't install it, would allow me to start playing sooner once I get a beta key (assuming that they'd go open beta by the end to guarantee I get in).

Ice Monkey said:
i want more people to experience the game so I hate having to say this, but....

Once blizzard opens up 3v3 and 4v4 it doesn't matter much about the crack unless they cracked matchmaking which will certainly get a blizz response. It'll then be a great way to do something in the beta until you get invited because 3v3 and 4v4 is WHERE ITS EFFING AT.

Are teams really that fun? i remember they seemed kinda boring in SC1. 1v1 was the only thing that you could really play seriously, from what i figured.

deathberry

Neo Member
Sh1ner said:
I downloaded the beta, waiting for the beta key, but went into video settings it cant detect my video card, I have an ATI 5850 ¬¬
My specs are as follows:
2.8ghz e6600 core 2 due running at 3.4ghz
4gb ddr 2 ram
shitload of HD space

can I run the game at max settings at 1440*900? Its autoing everything to low :O

I have a 5770 (didn't detect my card either) and Q6600 @ 2.4ghz +4gb ram.

You can run the game at all Ultra settings on that res (same as me) while getting 60+fps easily seeing as your card is better than mine and processor is o/c'ed as well.

I get mid 50s FPS on all Ultra, dropping down to low 20s in clusterfuck battles.

I hate YouTube. First part of my replay uploads slow. Like real slow so I cancel. Then I reupload and see it's uploading non widescreen yet my first upload somehow appeared there and was widescreen.

Take 3. This better work.

Btw

I'm running at like 50 to 60 fps on some medium some high and like one or two ultra settings

radeon 5670
athlon x2 6000
2gb of ram

I have a weak weak PC compared to most peeps yet I'm running it pretty well

Anksta

KnightM7 said:
So anyone know if those DOTA guys have anything planned for starcraft 2?

I think those guys are focussed on Heroes of Newerth, League Of Legends and a Valve game (unknown).

sasimirobot

TurtleSnatcher said:
I hate YouTube. First part of my replay uploads slow. Like real slow so I cancel. Then I reupload and see it's uploading non widescreen yet my first

I want to see that replay, can you PM me when you get it up?

oxrock

Gravity is a myth, the Earth SUCKS!
autobzooty said:
Are teams really that fun? i remember they seemed kinda boring in SC1. 1v1 was the only thing that you could really play seriously, from what i figured.
1v1 is undoubted where raw skill wins out, the larger team games are fun because of the gargantuan armies that can mass and the chaos that ensues. Of course it almost always boils down to 1-2 people being rushed early, being crippled and/or taken out and their teammates being screwed.

Dynoro

KnightM7 said:
So anyone know if those DOTA guys have anything planned for starcraft 2?
There was a DOTA map listed on the screens describing Battle.net (but the map was by Blizz not the DOTA guys)

clip

Dynoro said:
There was a DOTA map listed on the screens describing Battle.net (but the map was by Blizz not the DOTA guys)

That was just a mockup for the new Battle.net UI, there is not DoTA map for SC2.

Zzoram

A big concern of the Battle.net2 match making system is map balance. Korean pro maps were always designed to ensure no/minimal positional imbalance, so you aren't punished for getting a bad starting position. Blizzard on the other hand had positional imbalances in basically all their maps. You would get definite advantages for starting in certain spots, such as closer vespene gas geyser at your natural (some naturals in The Hunters didn't even have gas, and for others it was prohibitively far away), minerals closer to you, or minerals facing the edge of the map to make it harder to drop behind them.

Apparently there has already been a map observed to be used in ranked matches where 1 base can't be cliff jumped in the back by reapers but another base can. There is another map where only 1 base has a tiny cliff that reapers can attack a vespene geyser from. Stuff like that is a huge deal if people are going to take competitive play seriously.

I hope Blizzard eventually implements professionally designed KeSPA maps into the ranking system, instead of forcing people to forever use their stagnant pool of potentially imbalanced maps. In Warcraft 3, the map pool has been stagnant for years. In Starcraft, the map pool changes every 3 months, which is part of the reason why the game is always reinventing itself. Good map design encourages new strategies and reduces both positional and racial imbalances.

aznpxdd

Zzoram said:
A big concern of the Battle.net2 match making system is map balance. Korean pro maps were always designed to ensure no/minimal positional imbalance, so you aren't punished for getting a bad starting position. Blizzard on the other hand had positional imbalances in basically all their maps. You would get definite advantages for starting in certain spots, such as closer vespene gas geyser at your natural (some naturals in The Hunters didn't even have gas, and for others it was prohibitively far away), minerals closer to you, or minerals facing the edge of the map to make it harder to drop behind them.

Apparently there has already been a map observed to be used in ranked matches where 1 base can't be cliff jumped in the back by reapers but another base can. There is another map where only 1 base has a tiny cliff that reapers can attack a vespene geyser from. Stuff like that is a huge deal if people are going to take competitive play seriously.

I hope Blizzard eventually implements professionally designed KeSPA maps into the ranking system, instead of forcing people to forever use their stagnant pool of potentially imbalanced maps. In Warcraft 3, the map pool has been stagnant for years. In Starcraft, the map pool changes every 3 months, which is part of the reason why the game is always reinventing itself. Good map design encourages new strategies and reduces both positional and racial imbalances.

That's why there was the existence of The Hunters-Gamei and its 100 of variations. No one used the original Hunters for any sort of competitive play.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
autobzooty said:

2v2 is the best way to play the game, period. Executing perfectly orchestrated attacks is a lot more fun with a partner, and mixing races gives you access to greater strategy combinations.

aznpxdd

I'm a 3v3 man myself.

IMO, 2v2 is way too dependent on your allie. Its very hard (almost impossible) to win a 1v2 against competent players. But 2v3 on the other hand, is very winnable if the 2 players are good.

Top Bottom