• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I don't like my drones showing up as war hounds... Totally threw me off for the whole game... Had to keep double checking to make sure they were actually building things.
Wait, I haven't been able to log on today and see for myself... Are all workers literally warhounds right now? Please take screenshots/record! I really want to see this!

I don't like my drones showing up as war hounds... Totally threw me off for the whole game... Had to keep double checking to make sure they were actually building things.

That sucks for you man cause they are gonna be that way forever. Better get used to them sooner than later.

Wait, I haven't been able to log on today and see for myself... Are all workers literally warhounds right now? Please take screenshots/record! I really want to see this!

Go turn on any stream right now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
That sucks for you man cause they are gonna be that way forever. Better get used to them sooner than later.

Go turn on any stream right now.
I can't... I'm on my frikkin' phone!!!

Ketch

I'll post my vs AI match when I get home. Just don't laugh at my pathetic attempts to scout.

edit: I'm actually not gonna do this. too embarrassing.

SamuraiX-

Ok, ill try post a good one as soon as I play it. I have so many replays that I don't want to shuffle through them to find a good one cause it'll take too long. The idea is just to be extremely aggressive. I play TvZ very similar to the way I play TvP. I constantly drop. Never stop dropping. When I push at a base, I make sure I'm dropping in a completely different location. In plat league, this tears zergs completely apart. They simply can't deal with it. Even if my macro does slip sometimes, its far more devastating for them as when I watched replays I can see total chaos occur in their organization.
Here is a TvZ from me. I didn't play that great at all in this match, but its more or less how I play the matchup. What you guys think I can improve on? Dat missle turret placement on my 3rd. Damn, never doing that again. I really want to get into diamond!

http://drop.sc/316828
No guarantees as to the quality of the games but you can probably learn a decent bit from this.
I'm 81% TvZ and Masters

5 reps
http://www.mediafire.com/?22udmo23y46d31d

For your bane bust troubles, it's simply a matter of scouting and then reacting properly. A good way to identify that a bane bust is coming is scouting gas before or shortly after pool, and no third base. In my mind those are huge red flags that either bane bust or roaches are coming. More rarely, it means 2 base muta.

To hold it off, you pretty much need to have a wall and 3-4 bunkers. He's always going to blow your initial wall up, so you need to have the extra bunkers behind it so you marines have something to get into once your wall is down or else you'll get killed by the zerglings. If you're getting your factory up in time, the bane bust should arrive shortly after your first two hellions or widow mines pop out, so micro those to the best of your ability. If you go mines first, try to put them in front of your wall but not in front of where the banes will likely hit so they dont get killed by bane splash.

If you are certain that you wont be able to hold your natural. It's better to lift your nat and retreat all your stuff into your main and make some bunkers behind your wall there instead. It's a lot harder for him to kill that, and you can easily make up for the lost depots at your natural wall with quick banshee or drops since his tech will be late.
This is how you piss a zerg off into leaving prematurely:
http://drop.sc/316830

:p

Many, many thanks! Will check out those replays when I get the chance. :)

BTW has anyone been watching the Husky Bronze league heroes youtube replays? So fucking hilarious. Literally painful.

A couple of my favorites:

http://youtu.be/8onkv0eEfXo

http://youtu.be/y2W5x-kchJU

I absolutely loved Episode 6 with the PF rush and the Chargelots. LOL

Haven't watched Ep5 yet and I think Ep7 just came out. I'll probably try to follow them from now on.

They are, and it's pretty much the best april fools thing i've ever seen

screenshot2013-04-011imjpb.jpg

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Was the Warhound the only April Fools thing that Blizzard did this year?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
They are, and it's pretty much the best april fools thing i've ever seen

yeah. i read about it before i saw it, then i saw all the grumbling old bastards demanding for a way to switch it back.

after about half a game, i too became one of those grumbling old bastards. i haven't got time for this shit, i've got a diamond ghetto to climb out of.

in other news, big announcement is gonna be tomorrow:

(from slasher's twatter)

"League owners, Starcraft personalities, media on flights to Korea just in time for Blizzard's announcement. Will come tomorrow at 10 PM EST."

Ketch

"League owners, Starcraft personalities, media on flights to Korea just in time for Blizzard's announcement. Will come tomorrow at 10 PM EST."

Blizz all stars f2p coming fall 2013

Thanks to ShaneB for helping me practice scouting. I think I'm getting the hang of it, and he pulled off a pretty decent void ray rush too. How about next time we'll switch up and you can practice macro and I'll practice harassing?

Here's my learning point for other scrub leaguers trying to learn how to scout: Include it in your build order. Like for me (shout out to fork) my 12 food drone is my first scout, like I know I go drone, drone, overlord, drone, drone, SCOUT! and then pool, hatch, queens, drones, time for gas extractors, OVERLORD SCOUT!

And then, don't send him back, or look away, or do anything else until you SEE SOMETHING! It's worth missing an inject, or delaying your hatch, or delaying workers in gas. In my game with shane, if I had built a roach warren instead of hydra den I would have been dead. I think now I just need to be able to do it faster so I'm not screwing up my macro too bad.

back to studying =(

Lord Phol

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
have you guys seen /r/starcraft? i honest to god thought i was surfing a redesigned TL for like 20 minutes. the bookmarks are right next to each other.

ShaneB

The last mission was driving me crazy in WoL. Was playing on hard and I refused to change the difficulty, but I finally persevered and finished it a few minutes ago thank god before losing my sanity. Now I'll move onto HotS tomorrow and join the crowd and see how bad the story is.

Ketch

The last mission was driving me crazy in WoL. Was playing on hard and I refused to change the difficulty, but I finally persevered and finished it a few minutes ago thank god before losing my sanity. Now I'll move onto HotS tomorrow and join the crowd and see how bad the story is.

I can't even get past like the 3rd mission on hard in WoL

Just logged in to check the ladder, wanted to see if I had to win a match before bed to stay in the top 25, but turns out I went up a spot! I don't even know how that happens, but keep em coming... I'll never have to play again!

So I have a 25% win rate vs Toss. >.<

TvP help someone? Its mostly the early game that I lose to Toss.

If you need TvZ help I have a 77% winrate so feel free to ask me. TvT is about 60%. Gold league btw.

Overall I have a 58% win ratio lol.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

If you need TvZ help I have a 77% winrate so feel free to ask me. TvT is about 60%. Gold league btw.

Three rax with add ons into a 8-9 minute stim timing push plus expand behind it has me killing it in TvP gold level. It's a blind counter to all of the one base all ins that protoss loves to do, and if they go for an early expand, it's usually easy enough with the timing push to do the damage needed to give you time to get back the tech/economy advantage that you lost. A lot of times they have so little stuff you can just win straight out then and there.

Only problem is if they fast expand and defend so well you don't do damage, you'll be far behind in both tech and economy, but the only time that happened to me so far is when they go crazy on the cannons, and that itself is a form of damage in wasted resources.

If you want it to be sustainable into platinum and beyond, you might want to just learn a fast expand build and do a lot of 2 medivac drops, but my way is great in gold.

profit

Whats your opening against Toss?

Vaporak

I wish there was more HotS to watch. The MLG was great but then no on else is really capitalizing on the heightened interest of the HotS launch. :/

jersoc

went 3-2 on my placements. placed back in silver. no surprise to me. following the fenner stuff for zerg. working fairly well.

Whats your opening against Toss?

1 Rax FE with either Factory or another rax with techlab depending on what I scout.

If there is no expo or the 2nd/3rd pylon is missing from the main base with 2 gas I build a bunker and tech on one base with extra 2 rax and if I have spare money I build my expo inside the main.

Mostly stick with bio and from what I've tried with Siege Tanks, they still aren't good. :(

WM aggression is come and go where once in a while its good while other times its horrible.

I try to hit a +1 stim timing with speedvacs but with Planetary Nexus it isn't as effective.

I can deal with Oracles for the most part now.

BTW if a Toss goes double upgrade and an early expand, how do I punish it?

I'm afraid of attacking only to find out his defense is too much and I lose too much of my army. This isn't a problem lategame for me since I always get around 8 ghosts to deal with Toss lategame. Also a ton of Hellbats near my mining bases against Zealot runbys.

Slavik81

So I went Random through my placements. Against all odds, I stumbled my way to 5-0 and placed in Platinum.

But I still feel like I have no idea what I'm doing. In every match I've made serious mistakes, and somehow still managed to wring out a victory. The game feels very forgiving in that regard.

I guess that might change as they put me up against more diamond players. I only faced 1 in my placements.

There's a thread on TL about a Masters Protoss that uses a 360 controller.
link

Now I'm just depressed.
Huh.

Zen

Banned

On look at you, motherfucker I have a 20% winrate TvP!

Diamond, plz help

link

Now I'm just depressed.

demotivation.us_FUCK-THIS-SHIT-Ill-be-a-stripper_130667230646.jpg

StayDead

Just queue up units in your barracks then. It can be a bad habit to pick up, but it's better than having idle production.

If you're getting high minerals don't queue, just build a ton more barracks than you can support :p

EDIT: Thought I'd try some Z in unranked for a bit of fun, beat my first opponent who was a platinum zerg. God damn zvz is TENSE! :D

ShaneB

I wish there was more HotS to watch. The MLG was great but then no on else is really capitalizing on the heightened interest of the HotS launch. :/

This is what I'm finding as well :( When I into watching fighting game streams, they pretty much small events going on throughout the week and usually a tourney going on during the weekend. Is that not the case here? I mean sure there are people who stream when they play online, but that's not the same.

I can't even get past like the 3rd mission on hard in WoL

There were plenty of times when I wanted to quit out of frustration, so I'm glad to hear HotS is easier, I want to have fun here, not be frustrated. lol

Anybody anticipating the Company of Heroes 2 beta tomorrow (rando informal poll)?

I want to try it just to see how my laptop handles it :(, think I'm just tired of the WW2 aesthetic in general though, it's why I couldn't get into CoH as much, just everything felt so bleak and dreary.

link

Now I'm just depressed.

I know it's blasphemy, but I may try this out. lol

So I've been trying to use FilterSC's roach build and keep losing badly. Went from winning a couple games in Bronze to losing 6 games in a row. 3 of those were to protoss zealot/stalker/sentry (?) rush. My timing with drones seems to be on but it feels like every time I am just about to start pumping out roaches the enemy comes to my front door.

Man this game can be frustrating, but I want to keep playing it so.. there's that.

I'm wondering how Blizz implemented the worker Warhounds yesterday. Was it across the board or specific to the games played i.e. if I watch a replay today will they still be Warhounds?

Ketch

I don't think the replays are a recording but more like a re-enactment. I bet the workers are regular workers again..... But I don't know, whatever list of data points the game is reading off to replay the game might have the war hound skin in there... I'm just making all this based on assumption anyway, who knows?

A good question would be, if you watched a replay Forman earlier date yesterday, were those workers war hounds?

So I've been trying to use FilterSC's roach build and keep losing badly. Went from winning a couple games in Bronze to losing 6 games in a row. 3 of those were to protoss zealot/stalker/sentry (?) rush. My timing with drones seems to be on but it feels like every time I am just about to start pumping out roaches the enemy comes to my front door.

Man this game can be frustrating, but I want to keep playing it so.. there's that.

Try posting a replay. There are many good zerg players here that can help you out. I'm not a zerg player but it sounds like you are dying to a 6 gate or aggressive 4 gate after expand due to over-droning and lack of scouting.

I don't think the replays are a recording but more like a re-enactment. I bet the workers are regular workers again..... But I don't know, whatever list of data points the game is reading off to replay the game might have the war hound skin in there... I'm just making all this based on assumption anyway, who knows?

A good question would be, if you watched a replay Forman earlier date yesterday, were those workers war hounds?

Good question, but I didn't watch a replay yesterday.

I ask because I actually preferred the Warhounds. It was refreshing having a different set of response sounds instead of the SCV READY we all hear dozens of time each game. They should give us the option to use them instead of SCVs.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel

I tried this same build with similar results as yours, lots of losses. Filter's build follows the assumption that all Bronze players are slow to start and easy to roll over with a large army, which in my experience is simply not the case. Bronze league is filled with huge amounts of cheese and rushes, and Filter's 10 minute roach army is simply too slow out of the gate to deal with that. I've had much more success getting gas earlier around the 4:30 min mark, grabbing zerg speed, creating a small group of zerglings (say a dozen or so) and using them to harass and gain map control. Of course this slows down your drone production so that hitting Filter's benchmarks is impossible (55 drones at the 8 min mark) but you gain surviving the initial cannon rush / zealot push / 6 pool / bio push / reaper rush/ etc, etc, etc.

Fliter's build works great against the AI up to hard, but even against a harder or very hard AI it will tend to lose. I know, I've tried it several times, It's just too slow out of the gate IMHO.

Anybody know if SC2 will run on a 2011 Macbook air?

Runs great on my 2012 MBA, but that has the intel 4000 card, a significant improvement over the 3000 in the previous model. I'd say you can run it, but should turn down all settings for a decent framerate. It spins up the fans to the max, but thats to be expected.

Ketch

I tried this same build with similar results as yours, lots of losses. Filter's build follows the assumption that all Bronze players are slow to start and easy to roll over with a large army, which in my experience is simply not the case. Bronze league is filled with huge amounts of cheese and rushes, and Filter's 10 minute roach army is simply too slow out of the gate to deal with that. I've had much more success getting gas earlier around the 4:30 min mark, grabbing zerg speed, creating a small group of zerglings (say a dozen or so) and using them to harass and gain map control. Of course this slows down your drone production so that hitting Filter's benchmarks is impossible (55 drones at the 8 min mark) but you gain surviving the initial cannon rush / zealot push / 6 pool / bio push / reaper rush/ etc, etc, etc.

Fliter's build works great against the AI up to hard, but even against a harder or very hard AI it will tend to lose. I know, I've tried it several times, It's just too slow out of the gate IMHO.

This is exactly where I'm stuck. And I agree one problem with the build is dealing with early aggression. The other problem is if the enemy just has a better unit comp then you. You can totally out number a Terran but if he's got siege tanks your kinda boned. Same with Protoss and immortals.

I tried some early gas builds but could never pull off the macro quite as we'll. so for me the solution is better scouting. If you know early aggression/cheese is coming you can be ready. Just stop building drones and build lings instead for a bit. With 4 queens, 2 spines and a dozen lings you can defend a lot. Or if he's macroing hard and building a better unit mix build half roach and half whatever the counter unit is, deny his 3rd and keep expanding. Or if he's going air skip the roaches and get hydras instead.

I think the filterSC build is a really good way to learn, you just have to learn how to survive and not take it too hard when you loose. At first you should be able to say "my macro was better then his but i lost because he countered roaches", then you can build up to "my macro was better, but i lost because i didnt scout him".

I want to learn a fast gas build, but I feel like mastering this approach first will be better in the long run.

Runs great on my 2012 MBA, but that has the intel 4000 card, a significant improvement over the 3000 in the previous model. I'd say you can run it, but should turn down all settings for a decent framerate. It spins up the fans to the max, but thats to be expected.
Thanks man, I'm gonna be away from home this weekend and was hoping to get some games in anyway... hopefully it holds up.

sixghost

I just turned Physics OFF and all the stuttering seems like it's gone away. That setting must be a system hog because there's no way my machine should be struggling like it was.

Ketch

I just turned Physics OFF and all the stuttering seems like it's gone away. That setting must be a system hog because there's no way my machine should be struggling like it was.

I might do this too, I never notice the physics anyway... seemed like a really weird feature to add when I heard about it the first time.

Top Bottom