• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

StayDead

I don't really get Blizzard US, Blizzard EU do their patching between 2AM and 5AM.

In other news there's that big "change in eSports" coming tommorow at 10EDT. I wonder what it's going to be.

Ketch

officially changing the spelling of eSports to ESPORTS

there's no way it's not gonna be blizzard all stars, but here's some of my other guesses:

Blizzard starts it's own streaming site like twitch
Blizzard creates their own SC pro league or just buys IPL
Blizzard sponsors a US team to compete with the koreans like the old basketball dream team
SC2 multiplayer goes free to play with micro transactions (unit skins, /dance animations)
Diablo 3 finally gets pvp

FluxWaveZ

So this wasn't a bug that I was experiencing yesterday:
An attack command is now required in order to attack Destructible Rocks, which are no longer automatically attacked by units when right-clicked.

Not too sure I agree with that.

Mr Swine

Banned
GGGGGEEEEEEEHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

God I hate Zerg, no matter what I do I lose to them. I can't expand because they will go baneling/Ling whether I have a PLanetary Fortress, 3 bunkers and a few siege tanks guarding it. I can't rush if Zerg goes for a second base since they will always have spine crawlers and zerglings ready when I arrive. I can't go reaper since they get queens out and kings or crawlers out. If Zerg masses roaches its game over for me despite having more than 4 siege tanks guarding my natural or base

Mind pasting here? b.net is blocked at work.

I don't think the replays are a recording but more like a re-enactment. I bet the workers are regular workers again..... But I don't know, whatever list of data points the game is reading off to replay the game might have the war hound skin in there... I'm just making all this based on assumption anyway, who knows?

A good question would be, if you watched a replay Forman earlier date yesterday, were those workers war hounds?

Confirmed at lunch...yesterday's replays indeed show Warhounds :)

Mind pasting here? b.net is blocked at work.

BUG FIXES
General
  • Fixed an issue that could cause players to become stuck in a patch loop while connecting to a region other than their home region. (Please note: This may still occur while patching to 2.0.7, but will no longer happen for subsequent patches.)
  • The Story Mode achievement Kerrigan Power: 70 is now awarded upon re-entering story mode or the Master Archives for players who previously reached Kerrigan level 70. (An additional component to this fix will be applied in a future patch, which will properly grant credit immediately upon fulfilling achievement requirements.)
  • Fixed an issue in which preferences for a variety of gameplay settings were not properly saved to Battle.net profiles.
  • Fixed a streaming crash that could occur when a game was cancelled at the loading screen.
  • Fixed a performance issue that could occur when the in-game menu was accessed with a large number of files saved to the Replays folder.
  • Fixed an issue that occasionally caused a blank screen to display when loading into a campaign mission.
  • Fixed a UI issue caused by loading and canceling Swarm and Liberty campaign saves.
  • Fixed an issue that could cause the Product.SC2Archive file to go missing or become damaged after uninstalling and reinstalling StarCraft II.

Gameplay
  • The Mothership Core is now properly included in the group of units selected by the Select All Army Units hotkey (F2).
  • An attack command is now required in order to attack Destructible Rocks, which are no longer automatically attacked by units when right-clicked.
  • Corrected Rock placement for melee maps Neo Planet S LE and Whirlwind LE.

Editor
  • Maps can now update Battle.net dependencies even if objects from those dependencies are currently in use.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
[*] Corrected Rock placement for melee maps Neo Planet S LE and Whirlwind LE.

Boo. I wanted to see at least one 3 pylon ramp block in GSL again before they fixed that just for old times sake. Oh well.

Played done 2v2 today and both terran players brought their planetery fortresses to my Nexus. I had a stalker and 2 zealots. Took my probes and high tailed it out of there.

I set up a new base and my partner keeps jamming out Mutas. The one terran caps both gases and they are stuck with one bases worth of minerals.

Is this really a strategy that ever works? They obviously lost and were angry.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
An attack command is now required in order to attack Destructible Rocks, which are no longer automatically attacked by units when right-clicked.
[/QUOTE]

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Ketch

YEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly. This better apply to destructible plates too

StayDead

I just lost the most bullshit game I've ever lost. The guy failed a cannon rush, failed DTs then beat me with mass voidray. I am so bloody annoyed as there's no way in hell I should have lost that, what the actual hell.

fatty

So I've been trying to use FilterSC's roach build and keep losing badly. Went from winning a couple games in Bronze to losing 6 games in a row. 3 of those were to protoss zealot/stalker/sentry (?) rush. My timing with drones seems to be on but it feels like every time I am just about to start pumping out roaches the enemy comes to my front door.

Man this game can be frustrating, but I want to keep playing it so.. there's that.

I tried this same build with similar results as yours, lots of losses. Filter's build follows the assumption that all Bronze players are slow to start and easy to roll over with a large army, which in my experience is simply not the case. Bronze league is filled with huge amounts of cheese and rushes, and Filter's 10 minute roach army is simply too slow out of the gate to deal with that. I've had much more success getting gas earlier around the 4:30 min mark, grabbing zerg speed, creating a small group of zerglings (say a dozen or so) and using them to harass and gain map control. Of course this slows down your drone production so that hitting Filter's benchmarks is impossible (55 drones at the 8 min mark) but you gain surviving the initial cannon rush / zealot push / 6 pool / bio push / reaper rush/ etc, etc, etc.

Fliter's build works great against the AI up to hard, but even against a harder or very hard AI it will tend to lose. I know, I've tried it several times, It's just too slow out of the gate IMHO.

rakkadakka, please post some replays as I'd like to help. I basically use FilterSC's roach build as my primary build. I have to be on my toes with scouting against zerg but against Terran and Protoss I usually don't have problems with early pressure.

Always have a zergling right outside their ramp so you can see when they leave, some things to look for when dealing with early pressure:

Against Protoss:

Did he Fast Expand? If so you should be fine on following the build just don't forget to have your spines and spores and four queens around to deal with any drops or oracle harrasment.

If he didn't Fast Expand the next thing you want to check with your zergling is if he did two Gateways or Gateway then Cybercore. If it is two Gateways there is a chance he is rushing zealots, throw down a couple more spines at your natural and you should be good to hold it off, especially since you will have four queens to help. If you notice that he is committed to bringing a lot of zealots (remember to have your overlord at his ramp until the cybercore is made), go ahead and throw down the roach den a bit early and one gas.

If it is one base but Gateway/Cybercore you should be fine but be on the lookout for a fast 4-Gate if you see the Cybercore getting chronoboosted. But a couple of more spines at your natural and you should be fine until your roaches pop out doing the normal build.

Using your initial overlord and pair of zerglings will help you respond to early pressure.

Against Terran:

If you scout two barracks with your first pair of lings (made as soon as your pool is done), he might be coming with early marines. Just like with the zealots just throw down a couple more spines at your natural and you will be able to hold him off with spines and queens.

If you notice a factory with a reactor on it there is a good chance he might be coming with early hellions. No problem since you will already have two spines at your natural along with four queens. 2 of the queens will hold off the hellions while the other two are placed on 'hold' on your ramp to block them from getting to your main.

If there is no early pressure don't forget to make a spore at each of your mineral patches to deal with drops and those nasty widow mines! Make sure you have a spine at your main in addition to the ones at your natural. With those spines and the queens you should be in a pretty good position to deal with early drops.

Some general tips on the two base roach build:

At the 7:00 mark is when you make your buildings, make the roach den first since it takes the longest to build. Don't forget to make your lair as soon as you get that 100 gas!

As soon as your lair is finished, morph your first overlord (which should already be by the entrance of your opponent's base) into an Overseer and scout to see what he is doing (don't forget to hit 'C' to drop an additional spy in their base as well).

If you see Protoss or Terran are fast expanding, don't forget to take a third. I like to do this while I am cranking out those initial roaches. Also remember to transfer your drones over because if you are hitting your benchmarks (55 drones by 8 minutes), your first two bases will be oversaturated.

If you are executing the build properly, even with a couple of tanks or immortals in Bronze through Gold league you shouldn't have a problem still winning with an overwhelming roach force but if you see the opponent is turtled in pretty well, throw that infestor pit down asap and start teching appropriately depending on what you scouted with your Overseer. Against a Protoss fast expanding I like to still harrass with my roaches, a lot of times you can snipe a Cybercore or Forge since he is using those to wall off. Might as well put those roaches to use while teching and expanding.

I played a game against a Terran who went strictly Medivac & Marine. I introduced him to the templar storm spell :)

Grats man, it's doing awesome things like that which make starcraft fun.

Speaking of fun games.

I had a pretty long PvZ with a practice partner. I love dat skytoss.

OqIVUDn.jpg
http://drop.sc/317149

StayDead

Is the American server still down? Thought I'd log in to see if anyone wanted some practice games, but I just get error "Executor" - Fenix?!?!? when I try to log in :p

EDIT: Nevermind after reloading the game it gave me the proper error message which is that my game client is out of date with the American one and I need to wait for the update. ^^

JLeack

Banned
http://i.imgur.com/ZrpDouj.jpg

I'VE REACHED THE PROMISED LAND (I've been Silver since WoL came out).

I watched about 6 hours of tutorials from Dignitas Apollo and Day[9] before I felt like the entire game made sense. Now I'm just working on managing everything going on without missing production or crucial micro during fights. I have a long way to go but it feels good to know I'm not doomed to failure in every RTS I play.

EDIT: And of course EscapingJail's 2 hours of hands-on tutoring made the biggest difference. I dedicate this trophy to you.

I watched about 6 hours of tutorials from Dignitas Apollo and Day[9] before I felt like the entire game made sense. Now I'm just working on managing everything going on without missing production or crucial micro during fights. I have a long way to go but it feels good to know I'm not doomed to failure in every RTS I play.

Good shit man!

Ketch

EDIT: And of course EscapingJail's 2 hours of hands-on tutoring made the biggest difference. I dedicate this trophy to you.

That's awesome, I'm so jelly.

ShaneB

Yeah, the writing for Kerrigan... terrible. The VO is terrible, this is gonna be fun! Still easy to see the mission design will be solid though, so good times will be had I'm sure.

Ketch

Man, it's like very epic match up I get into I loose. When I win its like an 8 minute game but when I loose it takes 45... so soul crushing.

ZvZ this time, I did 1 base roach to muta held off his early attacks, but couldn't transition fast enough to take advantage... I need to practice that one more.

Man, it's like very epic match up I get into I loose. When I win its like an 8 minute game but when I loose it takes 45... so soul crushing.

ZvZ this time, I did 1 base roach to muta held off his early attacks, but couldn't transition fast enough to take advantage... I need to practice that one more.

1 base roach is a build? I'm honestly curious how does it work?

Top Bottom