• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

I just bought a ticket for this GSL season like 3 days ago. No big deal if it's the only place to get VODs because thats all I can reasonably watch. There's always Code A too.

StayDead

This is freaking huge.

Also MLG =/= WCS, still gonna be Code S players at Anaheim.

This is the best news for SC2. Incontrol is knocking it out of the park with explaining how good it is.

sixghost

This is freaking huge.

Also MLG =/= WCS, still gonna be Code S players at Anaheim.

Is it possible that there will be Non-WCS MLG events in addition to the WCG MLG events? Does this mean the GSL won't cost money to watch anymore? That gamespot interview made it seem like everything was going to be free.

Deadman

Q: Korean players might have trouble earning WCS points in OSL/GSL. They might compete in EU/NA and sweep those regions. What do you think?

Mike Morhaime: We expect this will happen to some degree, and it will have a positive impact on the rest of the world.

Having some amount of Koreans competing in NA and EU will raise the excitement factor and competitive bar.

...doesn't think it will ahve a negative impact.

lololol 90% korean final at every na/eu event. count on it.

Overall, I think it's good but there are some questions I still have. Free GSL streams is actually very important, I think, for pushing StarCraft beyond the existing fanbase.

JLeack

Banned
The more eSports the better. I've been watching StarCraft II and League of Legends replays more often than Netflix before I go to bed. That's an achievement in itself.

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
I'm struggling to see anyway that this isn't massively positive.

I don't mind this. Hopefully it leads to some improvement in the foreign scene instead of any decent player being forced to Korea.

sase just tweeted saying he's staying in kr.

if he wanted to play for money he'd be in eu blahblah etc!

Ketch

That's pretty exciting... when exactly does it start? and what are the chances anyone outside of korea wins the big prize at the very end?

a3den

lololol 90% korean final at every na/eu event. count on it.

Code B ESF players invasion in NA ! Also Polt is either too smart or a soothsayer.

Apparently Korean players had to decide which WCS region the play for the year last Friday, wonder when they're gonna leak it out. I see a reddit shitstorm incoming.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
That's pretty exciting... when exactly does it start? and what are the chances anyone outside of korea wins the big prize at the very end?

The first tournament is GSL which starts tomorrow and lasts for like 2 months. Dunno about MLG/ESL/OSL schedule yet though.

Ketch

Here's the replay of the one ladder match I got to play today. http://drop.sc/317227

Very non typical ZvZ, I scouted and stopped his early ling attack using a 1 base roach that I've never actually used in a game before... I feel like I could have won if I actually had a plan, just didn't macro hard enough so I couldn't get enough mutas out fast enough. And once again the only unit I know how to build is roaches, so you know... forever in silver.

I want to play more but stupid life gets in the way, and I'm gonna be away from home all weekend so I won't get any games in then either =(

Chris R

First win of the night feels so good!

edit: second win feels great too! just wish the wins were coming from games where I'm not 4-gating protoss players :|

mackaveli

Playing on the KR server and I've beaten some Master players. Haven't really matched up with Master players in WoL so it's pretty cool to play them.

I don't think the Master's player I just played (PvP) was that good though.

HOTS is much more fun than WOL that's for sure.

Any opening PvZ build orders anyone can recommend?

PvZ is my weakest matchup. I think my build order needs refining as I'm not too sure when to get a mothership core and when I should start my Robo or Stargate.

I think also opening gateway in my main is what is causing me problems as it throws off all my timings. Opening FFE I fare better against Zerg but I'm trying to do Gateway in base and struggle a lot with it. Should I put a ton of pressure with the gateway build? If so, what kind of army should I create off the two base to attack with?

Thanks.

sixghost

After spending a week in the hyperbolic chamber that is unranked ladder, I made it to masters after a couple games today. I still think I'm genuinely awful at the game though.

After spending a week in the hyperbolic chamber that is unranked ladder, I made it to masters after a couple games today. I still think I'm genuinely awful at the game though.

Nice man! I got Platinum after winning my first match of the night against a Terran. It feels great! Can't wait to reach Diamond.

Striek

The more I play terran at a higher level the more of a whining mindset I'm getting :x

Rah-rah storms imba, toss only need to 1A and turtle bullshit.

Or maybe its because I listened to Demuslim whining for a few hours this morning about it, lol.

Edit:
I have a 72% winrate in the matchup...but I play better than EVERY protoss!!1111

Wunder

The more I play terran at a higher level the more of a whining mindset I'm getting :x

Rah-rah storms imba, toss only need to 1A and turtle bullshit.

Or maybe its because I listened to Demuslim whining for a few hours this morning about it, lol.

Welcome to the hardships of the Terran Dominion. Soon you'll start counting your scvs at the 10 minute mark :D

I find that late game Terran is awesome with Planetary fortresses at choke points and about 8 OCs for MULEs.

Sack the 60 something SCVs you have and leave about 8 per mining base you have. Use MULEs mostly to mine and use low SCV numbers to get through the dead zone when Mules expire.

12 rax, 5 factory and 5 Starport makes Terran lategame relatively easy if you don't lose everything and can remax really fast.

Of course the problem is always getting to that point and keeping your bases alive.

Striek

I find that late game Terran is awesome with Planetary fortresses at choke points and about 8 OCs for MULEs.
[...]
Of course the problem is always getting to that point and keeping your bases alive.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52354605&postcount=5213

IDK bro, you mightn't be playing TvP to its fullest =P

Anything is good if you can wait the whole game and mine the map out. But I don't like that type of passivity and neither do most of my opponents.

Aggression aggression aggression or die trying.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=52354605&postcount=5213

IDK bro, you mightn't be playing TvP to its fullest =P

Anything is good if you can wait the whole game and mine the map out. But I don't like that type of passivity and neither do most of my opponents.

Aggression aggression aggression or die trying.

:p Its the early game Toss that bugs me. Oracles and VRs make the matchup so different with Stargate actually being used and Mothership core being a pain in the rear.

After I pass the 12 min mark I usually win my TvPs.

Aggression works if the toss isn't competent but if he deflects most drops and crap then the best lategame is Ghosts with Vikings and some MMMHB for DPS and side drops.

Also that is my late lategame strat vs all matchups. I simply overwhelm my opponent with the exception of a Toss that has a ton of HT/Colossus or a Zerg with lots of Ultras and Vipers.

Also Husky's latest Bronze League Heroes.... Ultras good unit lol.

StayDead

Kinda forces those few good foreigner players to move back to NA or EU instead of practicing in Korea.

No it doesn't. They could just practice harder and play in Korea.

I also have no issues with some Koreans participating in Europe/America too as if non korean players want to start winning they should maybe try and practice more and get better at the game. Stuff shouldn't be handed on a plate to them because they're non korean, they should earn it like everyone else.

Deadman

I'm struggling to see anyway that this isn't massively positive.

I don't mind this. Hopefully it leads to some improvement in the foreign scene instead of any decent player being forced to Korea.

I think the format they chose is quite poor. They should have had an extra set of events where only players of a certain country play and work their way up to a regional finals; basically wcs last year. But by simply tacking on their tournament to gsl and osl in Korea everyone who is not in gsl will choose na, which they are now free to do.

They clearly wanted to help the foreign scene grow which is a noble goal, but the structure they chose works against them. The na tournament will flood with not top tier Koreans in the same way last years mlg qualifiers and nasl have been. Eu will be spared because The latency is too high. So you will have your best player in north America be someone who flew in for a weekend, won the LAN finals and flew home again.

Tldr the tournament's format defeats the tournament's objective.

Another thing to consider is that people who are not already in gsl have a big incentive to not pick it, even If they are top tier talent. So that's MVP, nestea, Seed etc.

Mc has basically said all of this on twitter, translations here http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1bklgx/can_somebody_translate_mcs_recent_tweets/c97konn

derwalde

Sack the 60 something SCVs you have and leave about 8 per mining base you have. Use MULEs mostly to mine and use low SCV numbers to get through the dead zone when Mules expire.

12 rax, 5 factory and 5 Starport makes Terran lategame relatively easy if you don't lose everything and can remax really fast.

like any good protoss would let you build 8OCs, 12 rax, 5 fax, 5 SP which is super late game XD

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
No it doesn't. They could just practice harder and play in Korea.

I also have no issues with some Koreans participating in Europe/America too as if non korean players want to start winning they should maybe try and practice more and get better at the game. Stuff shouldn't be handed on a plate to them because they're non korean, they should earn it like everyone else.

Why bother? Less chance of winning, and they'll make less. They'd be better to move back and play in an easier setup.

mbmonk

Thank all of you for the nice comments on my scrubby storm video :). I only had a sliver of free time yesterday and making that vid took up that small amount of time.

http://i.imgur.com/ZrpDouj.jpg

I'VE REACHED THE PROMISED LAND (I've been Silver since WoL came out).

I watched about 6 hours of tutorials from Dignitas Apollo and Day[9] before I felt like the entire game made sense. Now I'm just working on managing everything going on without missing production or crucial micro during fights. I have a long way to go but it feels good to know I'm not doomed to failure in every RTS I play.

EDIT: And of course EscapingJail's 2 hours of hands-on tutoring made the biggest difference. I dedicate this trophy to you.

Congrats man!!!! That is a wonderful thing.

Think i might make a run for masters in the next few days. My friend finally got into masters after both of us being diamond since the beginning of WOL. It's kind of frustrating to us in a way lol. In WOL for lengthy periods we were facing lots of masters and beating them regularly but never got promoted which kinda made us give up on it a bit. Now after playing really not many games and whilst currently being 0-3 against masters players he finally gets the promotion to masters.

Kinda cool that it seems we might finally be able to get it but it doesn't feel like it will be as deserving as it would have been when we were trying in WOL.

I think the format they chose is quite poor. They should have had an extra set of events where only players of a certain country play and work their way up to a regional finals; basically wcs last year. But by simply tacking on their tournament to gsl and osl in Korea everyone who is not in gsl will choose na, which they are now free to do.

They clearly wanted to help the foreign scene grow which is a noble goal, but the structure they chose works against them. The na tournament will flood with not top tier Koreans in the same way last years mlg qualifiers and nasl have been. Eu will be spared because The latency is too high. So you will have your best player in north America be someone who flew in for a weekend, won the LAN finals and flew home again.

Tldr the tournament's format defeats the tournament's objective.

Another thing to consider is that people who are not already in gsl have a big incentive to not pick it, even If they are top tier talent. So that's MVP, nestea, Seed etc.

Mc has basically said all of this on twitter, translations here http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/1bklgx/can_somebody_translate_mcs_recent_tweets/c97konn

I agree with what you're saying about the format and i hope it actually sees some tweaking. Still i don't see it as a negative thing. It still brings in a lot more prize money overall and it's better than what we had before which was basically nothing.

Some of them are playing to be the best. not to win the moneys.

Who in particular? Everyone is in it for the money. If you are a pro player, this game is what pays the bills. Everyone will always go for the road of least resistance that is convenient in order to win money.

Who in particular? Everyone is in it for the money. If you are a pro player, this game is what pays the bills. Everyone will always go for the road of least resistance that is convenient in order to win money.

Well Sase in particular said exactly that. It is possible to go after something for reasons other than money. Not saying it will be common at all but i'm sure some may still try it.

Either way the best foreigners not being in Korea isn't necessarily a bad thing. So long as that's the only way for players to get really good the foreign scene will stay as bad as it is. Shame the format blizz chose probably won't encourage foreign players as much as it could have but it's a start.

Well Sase in particular said exactly that. It is possible to go after something for reasons other than money. Not saying it will be common at all but i'm sure some may still try it.

Either way the best foreigners not being in Korea isn't necessarily a bad thing. So long as that's the only way for players to get really good the foreign scene will stay as bad as it is. Shame the format blizz chose probably won't encourage foreign players as much as it could have but it's a start.

Usually, being the best and making money go hand in hand. Unless you decide to transition into being a commentator.

Usually, being the best and making money go hand in hand.

They're striving to be the best they can be, doesn't mean they will be the best player full stop. Under the current system even if they are far better players by staying and training in Korea they may not end up winning as much prize money.

This is great news, I was considering getting a GSL Sub.

Where will we be able to watch the games?

Well you still basically need a GSL sub unless you are willing to stay up well past midnight to watch the GSL. The VODS wont be free, but the live stream will be free at 720p. Honestly, it should have always been this way. If you are dedicated enough to stay up till the dead of night to watch the GSL the least they could do is give it to you in good quality.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
ever since the update i cant tab out of the game while its in windowed fullscreen, anyone else having that problem?

edit: disabled in controls, must have reset the defaults in the update or added those options.

Top Bottom