• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Ugh, guys. I try SO HARD, and then loose. Ugh. Super fun game, that I should have won.

I haven't looked at this replay yet, but can someone please give this a look and just tell me how bad I suck please? http://drop.sc/317691

What do you do against tanks? I should have went muta/ling I guess... I thought the roaches would beat the marines but when they started getting shredded I didn't know what to do. I built banelings, but they didn't do too great either... I thought I did a really good job of keeping denying his expansions, and I should have got ultra's out a lot sooner. and then his drop murdered me.

I must have missed one of his expansions, there's no way he got so much on two bases.

roach, hydra, viper is the hottness against terran mech. yoink or cloud the tanks then a move.

Ketch

roach, hydra, viper is the hottness against terran mech. yoink or cloud the tanks then a move.

Yea.. damnit I should probably learn how to control my units at some point. Micro, even just viper grab is like intimidating to me. I know I missed a TON of injects that game anyway. I keep getting my lings/banelings stuck behind my main army so they can't engage properly... I guess I need to seperate my hotkeys. I already disabled the F2 "select all" button so I could get used to using cntrl 1, now I guess I need to like get better.

Just need more games. right? right.

Edit: I think my biggest issue was just not transitioning out of roach attack... it really should be 1 big attack, if it works I win, if it doesn't work fall back and immediately move on... instead I just keep. going. roaches.

Paches

Holy shit...the longest game I have ever played by far. Possible even double the amount of time. 2 hours and 18 minutes it clocked in at and I won. It was incredibly tense the last hour and a half or so and we both had 0 minerals for the last hour or so.

http://drop.sc/317696

This game is so challenging. I decided to play Multiplayer for the first time. I played my placement matches and placed Bronze 58. Overnight, that fell to 67. Played 5 more games and am now up to Bronze 8. Feels good winning, even if I'm currently only at a 37% win/loss ratio. I've got so much more to learn!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit...the longest game I have ever played by far. Possible even double the amount of time. 2 hours and 18 minutes it clocked in at and I won. It was incredibly tense the last hour and a half or so and we both had 0 minerals for the last hour or so.

Mother of God!

Zyae

Ugh, guys. I try SO HARD, and then loose. Ugh. Super fun game, that I should have won.

I haven't looked at this replay yet, but can someone please give this a look and just tell me how bad I suck please? http://drop.sc/317691

What do you do against tanks? I should have went muta/ling I guess... I thought the roaches would beat the marines but when they started getting shredded I didn't know what to do. I built banelings, but they didn't do too great either... I thought I did a really good job of keeping denying his expansions, and I should have got ultra's out a lot sooner. and then his drop murdered me.

I must have missed one of his expansions, there's no way he got so much on two bases.

I just need to play more games. I feel like I'm getting better... but it's really hard to tell.

After that first attack around 15 minutes you should have moved your entire army to his natural, morphed banes and GG. You had 3 bases, 31 roaches and you know he didnt have a whole lot on 1 base as you had just attacked and saw what he had. You saw a reactor on the factory so there was no threat of tanks. If you kept on your attack you had the win. Instead you sat back a bit, only attacked with half your army at 16:00. You would have won again there if you moved with everything. You have 18 roaches sitting at home. At the very least you should have taken a 4th after that attack failed

You should have won with that 3rd attack too. You should have pulled back after you killed that first bunker, healed your roaches and gotten reinforcements. Also you're sitting on a hive not doing anything with it. Get anything, Ultra, spores, muta, broodlords. Youre sitting on so much minerals and gas. A couple of ultra here would have been GG. You should also be on like 5 bases at this point. You know hes confined to 1 real mining base(actually you dont KNOW this as you should be scouting the empty bases as often as possible)

This game is so challenging. I decided to play Multiplayer for the first time. I played my placement matches and placed Bronze 58. Overnight, that fell to 67. Played 5 more games and am now up to Bronze 8. Feels good winning, even if I'm currently only at a 37% win/loss ratio. I've got so much more to learn!

Enjoy bronze while it lasts. I actually miss it. Starcraft gets much more intense when you are a few leagues higher.

Ketch

After that first attack around 15 minutes you should have moved your entire army to his natural, morphed banes and GG. You had 3 bases, 31 roaches and you know he didnt have a whole lot on 1 base as you had just attacked and saw what he had. You saw a reactor on the factory so there was no threat of tanks. If you kept on your attack you had the win. Instead you sat back a bit, only attacked with half your army at 16:00. You would have won again there if you moved with everything. You have 18 roaches sitting at home. At the very least you should have taken a 4th after that attack failed

You should have won with that 3rd attack too. You should have pulled back after you killed that first bunker, healed your roaches and gotten reinforcements. Also you're sitting on a hive not doing anything with it. Get anything, Ultra, spores, muta, broodlords. Youre sitting on so much minerals and gas. A couple of ultra here would have been GG. You should also be on like 5 bases at this point. You know hes confined to 1 real mining base(actually you dont KNOW this as you should be scouting the empty bases as often as possible)

Thanks for the analysis. Yea, I know I should have won, I knew I should have been winning... My biggest mistake was letting him get built back up after I invaded his natural, I should have killed all the buildings there and reinforced before moving into his main, but instead I tried to get into his main right away with like half my army and got pushed out and then yea not being able to transition into the end game fast enough at that point was not good either.

I have a hard time judging how well my roach army is doing in that first big attack. In a lot of games before this one I would end up a-moving my roaches into a loosing situation, and then not retreat them fast enough. In this instance I think I misjudged it in the other direction.

Because I never really get past that first big roach attack, I don't have much practice transitioning from roaches INTO whatever comes next (depending on the situation). So I kind of flubbed that whole part too. I was set up really nice, and there's a number of things I COULD have done to win, but I was just kind of stuck in the moment. Overall, even though I gave that game away, I don't feel too bad about it anymore... I think I played to the best of my current ability, and I know what things I need to work on to improve. So now I just need my next game to play out just like this one, and I'll know exactly what I need to do.

Maybe I'll ask the GAF group for some practice games next time I'm on. Like just get someone to macro/expand and repel my roach attack so I can practice transitioning to hive tech

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

awesome game!

i wonder if the zerg knew that he was playing for a draw at best though.

also, hindsight is 20/20 but i woulda salvaged those bunkers and made a raven and a reaper : ]

edit: oh! he had corruptors!

edit edit: but of course, you could always defend your lift offs with vikings so it was for a draw indeed.

mbmonk

Speaking of fun games.

I had a pretty long PvZ with a practice partner. I love dat skytoss.

http://drop.sc/317149

That was a pretty interesting game. I thought you were dead when it appeared you lost a battle around the 39 minute mark. He started taking down a couple of Nexuses ( Nexi? ). What turned the battle where you stomped him shortly after. I missed it? Colosi?

Paches

awesome game!

i wonder if the zerg knew that he was playing for a draw at best though.

also, hindsight is 20/20 but i woulda salvaged those bunkers and made a raven and a reaper : ]

edit: oh! he had corruptors!

edit edit: but of course, you could always defend your lift offs with vikings so it was for a draw indeed.

The funny part is the whole time it isn't like we are sitting there idle for a long time, it was a lot of back and forth and prodding to kill any unit we could. Pretty funny looking back at it now.

Zyae

Thanks for the analysis. Yea, I know I should have won, I knew I should have been winning... My biggest mistake was letting him get built back up after I invaded his natural, I should have killed all the buildings there and reinforced before moving into his main, but instead I tried to get into his main right away with like half my army and got pushed out and then yea not being able to transition into the end game fast enough at that point was not good either.

I have a hard time judging how well my roach army is doing in that first big attack. In a lot of games before this one I would end up a-moving my roaches into a loosing situation, and then not retreat them fast enough. In this instance I think I misjudged it in the other direction.

Because I never really get past that first big roach attack, I don't have much practice transitioning from roaches INTO whatever comes next (depending on the situation). So I kind of flubbed that whole part too. I was set up really nice, and there's a number of things I COULD have done to win, but I was just kind of stuck in the moment. Overall, even though I gave that game away, I don't feel too bad about it anymore... I think I played to the best of my current ability, and I know what things I need to work on to improve. So now I just need my next game to play out just like this one, and I'll know exactly what I need to do.

Maybe I'll ask the GAF group for some practice games next time I'm on. Like just get someone to macro/expand and repel my roach attack so I can practice transitioning to hive tech

I wouldnt feel bad, you have the basics down pretty well. You just need to refine it. Im not too experienced with zerg in 1v1s but I play them a lot in team games. Personally I dont like pure roach attacks. Id throw in more lings with them personally.

StayDead

do you guys ever use battle cruisers?

If you're playing mech they're the go to late game transition.

I transition into them in TvT, TvZ and TvP.

In other news I seemingly faced a really bad toss today who had like a few of every unit (he had some immortals, some archons, some void rays, a butt ton of zealots against hellbats and some templar, that was it) and wondered why my tank/hellbat/viking contain killed him while I mass expanded.

FluxWaveZ

Interesting match. Everything past the 1 hour and 20 minute mark is the dumbest thing... Holy crap.

I feel that there were several times you could have ended the game before the 30 minute mark, but you were too lenient after doing substantial damage with drop play.

Paches

Interesting match. Everything past the 1 hour and 20 minute mark is the dumbest thing... Holy crap.

I feel that there were several times you could have ended the game before the 30 minute mark, but you were too lenient after doing substantial damage with drop play.

Yeah, but it is easy to say that when you have complete vision. That is one of the things I struggle with, knowing when it is time to strike the main base. After replaying I had a 70 supply lead really late at one point where I could have pushed, but didn't.

did you win? sounds crazy! I get sweaty hands at the 15 min mark! lol

Yep, so it was worth it!

Aylinato

I've had a team game last 2 hours. I only had some ghosts left/nukes, dude was flying stuff in corners. Good thing nukes out range things

Chris R

Seriously hoping I don't act fast enough to buy Blizzcon tickets... Airfare is only $350 round trip which is totally doable :(

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
What's going on with matchmaking?
I'm a casual bronze zerg player who loves the game. I should probably at least be in silver if I applied myself, but I digress.
I keep getting matched up with gold and platinum players, and am running a w/l ratio of something like 1:3.
I guess I haven't helped myself with a couple of wins against plats, but still...
Is it just a case of the matchmaking on HotS trying to sort itself out? Did HotS start with a clean slate and needs to build it's stat database and the matchmaking will improve over time?

Over the course of one play session I got matched up with a bronzer and a masters. Both were unranked even though I'm certain I queued ranked.

It's really weird.

Chris R

I finally got HotS today and have actually been doing pretty well for not knowing anything about the new units. But how the heck are you supposed to counter the new Protoss air siege unit that can shoot beyond its field of view. I play terran mostly.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I finally got HotS today and have actually been doing pretty well for not knowing anything about the new units. But how the heck are you supposed to counter the new Protoss air siege unit that can shoot beyond its field of view. I play terran mostly.

for tempests you have to scan and snipe the obs, mass up vikings, then go in for the kill.

WCS...eh, dunno what to think. I'm glad that GSLs will apparently mean more now at least; having a billion GSLs in a year is tiring and imo it cheapens the process of calling someone a "champion" when the whole thing starts over a month later. Having three GSLs a year makes sense.

I'm assuming there will still be MLG events that aren't affiliated with WCS right, where anyone can qualify? I can understand why Korean players may be upset that they're stuck in a tough region, and would rather just jump to the NA/EU. At the same time there will be plenty of Dreamhacks for them to win, and presumably some MLGs. It'll be interesting to see how players like Violet, MMA, Taeja, and others on foreigner teams decide to handle this.

Gom offering refunds on gsl passes.

Hey,I played monobattles with you yesterday.

Its cool that they are offering refunds but I don't want a refund. I want my vods in 720p, like they are on twitch tv and the same quality they are streamed for FREE live. Did they fix the issue for light ticket holders?

What are they doing for VODs with the new system?

Live broadcasts are now free in 720p. However, gom is ripping off their customers on the VODs. On twitchtv, for $20 you get 720p VODs yet on GOM it is 520p. Why gomtv would allow themselves to be beaten by twitchtv in video quality for the same price I still don't understand. They really need to raise the quality. It is outrageous that paid viewers that can only watch VODs have worse quality than people who watch for free.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Ok, the mastery achievement for the hybrid dominator level is hilarious. At first I thought you were supposed to use infestors to turn some Terran units, which seemed insanely difficult, but it turns out you just have to lure each dominator near a Terran base, and then they'll fight each other. It's awesome to watch them fight, and makes the whole level way easier.
LOVED this mission and achievement. I had an insane terran army, literally like a 200/200 army. Crushed everything with a-move.

sixghost

What do you guys thing of swarm hosts in ZvT? Jaedong was testing out this sort of composition on his stream a week or so ago. He opened with traditional muta/ling/bane, but didn't make that many mutas, and switched to swarm host and eventually vipers. I don't think I ever saw him win with it, but it was interesting at the very least. He was playing very defensively, using the mutas he made as protection vs drops, and counter attacking often with lings.

I've only tried it a few times, but what I've found is that it seems like swarmhosts hit a critical mass around 8-10. Before that, you need lots of supporting units to even hold ground. But once you have them in numbers, it just takes so long for the locusts to be killed off (assuming you are keeping up with carapace) that the next batch will be ready before terran moves forward.

Ketch

Finally made it to top 8 in my silver division. Despite having a loosing record 16/21 I'm still moving up. I imagine I'll be stuck in silver until I actually start winning a bunch... so that will be for awhile, I'll probably finish the season in silver, but I'm okay with that.

I feel like I only ever get paired up against people who are way better then me (diamond and plat) or people who are just horrible. The last match I had was decent, and I added that guy to my friends list for practice matchers later on, but still there's like no gold players around.

Sucks that I'm gonna be away from home all weekend... thought I'd finally have a chance to play a bunch, but NOPE. =(

f0rk

What do you guys thing of swarm hosts in ZvT? Jaedong was testing out this sort of composition on his stream a week or so ago. He opened with traditional muta/ling/bane, but didn't make that many mutas, and switched to swarm host and eventually vipers. I don't think I ever saw him win with it, but it was interesting at the very least. He was playing very defensively, using the mutas he made as protection vs drops, and counter attacking often with lings.

I've only tried it a few times, but what I've found is that it seems like swarmhosts hit a critical mass around 8-10. Before that, you need lots of supporting units to even hold ground. But once you have them in numbers, it just takes so long for the locusts to be killed off (assuming you are keeping up with carapace) that the next batch will be ready before terran moves forward.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiF6JroWtkE

Striek

Lol I think I need to go back to playing protoss only. At least in PvT I would know I was 99.9% likely to win in the lategame, now I'm 99.9% likely to lose in TvP :[

xmShake

Neo Member
I'm getting close to GM. Been playing GMs / former GMs recently. Now I just gotta wait for someone to get kicked out.

Ketch

When does the bliz World Series thing start? I'd like to pick some top seeded zergs to follow through the season. If the only games media I follow is SC2 related then I maybe I can save myself some money by not being interested in other games.

Someone needs to go into the "best game over screen" thread and post the return to game/view score screen that pops up when you win. Feels so good when it just pops up all of a sudden.

Top Bottom