• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Sometimes i feel like such a newb. PvP. I DT and he oracles me. I have nothing to kill the oracle so I just go full into killing him. Then about near the end of the game I realize I have my Mothership Core just chilling at my base with full energy. doh.

Im still not use to making my nexus a weapon.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Sometimes i feel like such a newb. PvP. I DT and he oracles me. I have nothing to kill the oracle so I just go full into killing him. Then about near the end of the game I realize I have my Mothership Core just chilling at my base with full energy. doh.

Im still not use to making my nexus a weapon.

two gate stargate is the way to go for PvP. chrono warp tech hard and set up a proxy pylon so when you poke with three stalkers+mcore you have a bunch of options:

oracle for detection if you smell a dark shrine.

phoenix expand if you smell a stargate.

void expand if he's going robo tech.

in all these situations, you can warp in two extra stalkers for the usual four gate timing, and you'll control his ramp with five stalkers+mothership core. you can often just roll over them if they're being greedy (try and hit a time warp on whatever units are sitting at the top of the ramp and just kite them with your stalkers).

I kick zerg asses and do okay against Terran, but damn do I suck against protoss. One reason seems to be there are so few of them on the ladder. I never play against them. I play about 5x as many zergs as Terrans and about 5x as many terrans as protoss.

Corran Horn

two gate stargate is the way to go for PvP. chrono warp tech hard and set up a proxy pylon so when you poke with three stalkers+mcore you have a bunch of options:

oracle for detection if you smell a dark shrine.

phoenix expand if you smell a stargate.

void expand if he's going robo tech.

in all these situations, you can warp in two extra stalkers for the usual four gate timing, and you'll control his ramp with five stalkers+mothership core. you can often just roll over them if they're being greedy (try and hit a time warp on whatever units are sitting at the top of the ramp and just kite them with your stalkers).

I suck with protoss air so I tend to not use it. My huge losing streak was due to me using air like every game.

Ketch

Man, what is with the salty "GG noob"... I don't think I've run into any BM on the ladder yet... must be a higher league thing.

Man, what is with the salty "GG noob"... I don't think I've run into any BM on the ladder yet... must be a higher league thing.

It gets better. LOL

IX4YRUg.png

I've been masters since Season 2 WoL
and about three seasons ago I was GM MMR when I played all the time.

It gets better. LOL

IX4YRUg.png

I've been masters since Season 2 WoL
and about three seasons ago I was GM MMR when I played all the time.

lol he mad. I hope he made himself feel better with that. People that whisper others after a game just to rage always amaze me. Like, just move on with your life. Seriously.

Ketch

The thing that kills me about it is like, winning is so much less a fluke of luck or circumstance in this game.... like in League or a FPS or something you might be able to say "Oh lucky kill" or whatever. In SC it's so clear that when you win it's only because you just out played the other guy, so for them to be like "YOU SUCK! (even though you just out played me in an even match up)" is comical to me.

The thing that kills me about it is like, winning is so much less a fluke of luck or circumstance in this game.... like in League or a FPS or something you might be able to say "Oh lucky kill" or whatever. In SC it's so clear that when you win it's only because you just out played the other guy, so for them to be like "YOU SUCK! (even though you just out played me in an even match up)" is comical to me.

No offense to all the Zergs in this thread. But the only time I get bm'ed is by Zerg players. I play macro every PvZ and don't cheese/cannon rush.

Yet since the very beginning of WoL, Zerg players are always BM and immediately call things imbalanced. Now I know this is a very opinionated and biased comment. But goddamn what the hell incites Zerg anger towards me?

Ketch

No offense to all the Zergs in this thread. But the only time I get bm'ed is by Zerg players. I play macro every PvZ and don't cheese/cannon rush.

Yet since the very beginning of WoL, Zerg players are always BM and immediately call things imbalanced. Now I know this is a very opinionated and biased comment. But goddamn what the hell incites Zerg anger towards me?

Are you going mass void ray?

It's still not really an excuse for BM, If I was constantly getting beat by mass VR, I'd probably be happy to get practice against that and would be more worried about finding a counter then talking trash.

SamuraiX-

It's still not really an excuse for BM, If I was constantly getting beat by mass VR, I'd probably be happy to get practice against that and would be more worried about finding a counter then talking trash.

Master league.

SERIOUS BUSINESS

I always wonder what these kind of people must be like when they don't have the anonymity that comes with the Internet to hide behind.

Ketch

Master league.

SERIOUS BUSINESS

I always wonder what these kind of people must be like when they don't have the anonymity that comes with the Internet to hide behind.

Combined with how much nicer this community is compared to CoD and League... if you're one of the few players who act like a douche like, what must you think of yourself?

Well yeah, but thats the current metagame lol. Same as when Zerg went Broodlord infestor every single game.

Ketch

Well yeah, but thats the current metagame lol. Same as when Zerg went Broodlord infestor every single game.

Yea, I'm not really one to comment on balance or meta game or anything... as I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I do feel comfortable saying that mass void ray has been called IMBA vs Zerg... which might be why you are getting an extra dose of douchebaggery from zerg players.

Also, I have weird feeling about playing as zerg now... they were my favorite race in SC1 single player (never played multi) and I played zerg in season 1 of WoL, but now it feels like they're a little flavor of the month, yet also under powered... I don't know. there's no way i'd switch but it feels a little weird being lumped into that group.

Yea, I'm not really one to comment on balance or meta game or anything... as I don't really know what I'm talking about, but I do feel comfortable saying that mass void ray has been called IMBA vs Zerg... which might be why you are getting an extra dose of douchebaggery from zerg players.

Also, I have weird feeling about playing as zerg now... they were my favorite race in SC1 single player (never played multi) and I played zerg in season 1 of WoL, but now it feels like they're a little flavor of the month, yet also under powered... I don't know. there's no way i'd switch but it feels a little weird being lumped into that group.

Please don't take this the wrong way, but none of the racial "imbalances" really start to see the light of day till you hit Masters. Everything Prior can be overcome by improving your macro, micro(which includes scouting), and overall game sense.

Again please don't take this as bm or a stab at your skill level.

giri

So, i finally got around to getting ranked in 1v1, some how got dumped in gold league.

I was stuck in bronze in WoL :|

And i aint that good.

Ketch

Please don't take this the wrong way, but none of the racial "imbalances" really start to see the light of day till you hit Masters. Everything Prior can be overcome by improving your macro, micro(which includes scouting), and overall game sense.

Again please don't take this as bm or a stab at your skill level.

I don't take it any bad way at all, I really don't concern myself with game balance really, because like you said it can all be handled by just playing better... especially at my lower skill level (mass drone totally OP in silver btw). I think still even at high levels "wha wha IMBA" is a lame ass excuse for loosing, but you asked why you're getting a lot of trash talk from Zergs, and my guess is they're salty because they consider mass VR over powered vs zerg. I'm not saying it's justified, just that it might be a reason why.

I'm also not saying I feel weird about playing zerg because I think they're underpowered or anything, just that I don't want to be associated with the people who whine about such things.

Well right now everyone is either crying about Void Rays/Oracles for Toss while Terran has to deal with Widow Mine/Hellbat crying lol.

But as a Terran I have to cry about Mutas and Ultras. Its a cycle really with each race's less skilled/vocal members crying out at this implied "imbalance" lol.

giri

Well right now everyone is either crying about Void Rays/Oracles for Toss while Terran has to deal with Widow Mine/Hellbat crying lol.

But as a Terran I have to cry about Mutas and Ultras. Its a cycle really with each race's less skilled/vocal members crying out at this implied "imbalance" lol.

As a terran, i think all other terrans and protoss and zerg are massively OP and you're all just cheesy fucks and i hate you all and die.

sincerely, me.

Chris R

I've yet to encounter a widow mine :| Then again I'm playing mostly Z and P. P I just crush unless they cheese me, but the Z are giving me a good challenge. I should probably be thankful that the Corpser upgrade isn't available to them lol, shit is so fucking OP.

Need to work on my FFE for every MP map as I had a few leaky walls today :(

I hate the new custom games tab to make my games. Where is the list of map ? The browser is so slow...

And I can't find Bel'Shir beach anywhere. Only Bel'Shir vestige or something. It looks similar. They got rid of the water ?

Chris R

When LotV comes out someone needs to make a balanced version of the multiplayer where every race has their SP abilities (well, most of them).

I'd ladder that shit sooooo hard.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
When LotV comes out someone needs to make a balanced version of the multiplayer where every race has their SP abilities (well, most of them).

HotS SP Zerg kicks the everloving shit out of WoL SP Terran. There's no way you could keep even half of the Zerg SP abilities in multiplayer. Swarm Queens alone would tip the scales.

Ketch

so their are 4 player maps where your opponent can only spawn in two of the 3 other positions?

How do you know which ones?

Striek

HotS SP Zerg kicks the everloving shit out of WoL SP Terran. There's no way you could keep even half of the Zerg SP abilities in multiplayer. Swarm Queens alone would tip the scales.

Science Vessels and regenerative plating though; Artosis wet-dream realised!

Corran Horn

@LorangerChris:
2013-04-06 08:25
Does anyone know? code a is in 3-4 days lol...

@_inso:
2013-04-06 08:28
@LorangerChris Ask @mikemorhaime :)

@LorangerChris:
2013-04-06 08:28
@_inso @mikemorhaime mikey can u comment ? i need to make a decision in a couple days

@mikemorhaime:
2013-04-07 01:52
@LorangerChris @_inso @idrajit Understood. Working to get you guys more details ASAP.

:eek: Mike Morhaime actually responding to huk on twitter is interesting.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper

I'd be happy just beating up on bots with Zerg single player abilities. I want more SP type action with none of the shitty shitty writing.

My AI level is finally on hard, btw. Took me a week and a half...lol

Chris R

I haven't finished HOTS yet, but yep, Zerg abilities they give are much better than the T stuff. But I still think it would be fun to play a game with the single player stuff when it was "balanced"

Right now I just mass roaches and enjoy the corpsers :D

SamuraiX-

so their are 4 player maps where your opponent can only spawn in two of the 3 other positions?

I'm guessing you're probably be referring Entombed Valley. Awesome map!

And you don't really know. There's no higher or lower percentage that somebody will spawn in one place over the other. You just gotta hope it won't be in the last spawning location that you look with your first worker scout.

One thing that may help is if you catch your opponent's initial scout finding your base really early, pay attention to what direction it came from and start by looking there.

Corran Horn

Bel'Shir Beach is still there. Its just under Arcade instead of the other section. When they made the arcade section, not all the maps transfered over. I think its still set as WoL...but someone just needs to transfer it over probably

Wunder

Hard to say, Blizzard tends not to restrict spawns because it confuses a lot of players, so i'm not 100% sure if there are restricted spawns on the current ladder pool. But for example in some leagues they would restrict Star Station so that you'd only spawn vertical or cross position, because the close pos was way too close to be fun.

So I just started to get the hang of the first set of benchmarks for Filter's Bronze to Masters and he releases a new set updated for HotS and it's got different benchmarks.

Back to the start for me!

Wunder

http://drop.sc/319044

Super frustrating game. He opens 4 gate which I deflect as well as I can and take 0 econ damage. He goes templar AND colossus to try and catch up but my medivac timing kills BOTH the robo bay AND templar archives, delaying both a ton. I push him at his 3rd (which I got before him) with a near perfect engagement in my opinion (vikings in negative space, he has to engage in an awkward angle, having shit stuck behind his other shit). I expand and take the fourth and push yet again, trading once more and though I didn't kill his third, I still traded pretty well imo. Start my 5th and rally to the 2nd watchtower. He decides randomly to push out, not to take an expand or whatever, and just push with his army, and catches me off guard. I mismicro 1 engagement after 25 minutes of me having a large advantage, and I just instantly die. This is so fucking frustrating. He didn't even storm me ONCE and I still lost. I really really really don't know what the fuck I should've done, besides stutterstep like a god. Oh yeah, I had an upgrade advantage the entire game. 1/1 vs 0/0, 3/3 vs 2/2. I don't get it guys, I really don't.

edit: jesus this was a rage filled post.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
http://drop.sc/319044

Super frustrating game. He opens 4 gate which I deflect as well as I can and take 0 econ damage. He goes templar AND colossus to try and catch up but my medivac timing kills BOTH the robo bay AND templar archives, delaying both a ton.

Mistake #1 of the game. You botched that drop imo. Should have gone after his probes, not his tech. If you had killed some probes that would have delayed his third.

I push him at his 3rd (which I got before him) with a near perfect engagement in my opinion (vikings in negative space, he has to engage in an awkward angle, having shit stuck behind his other shit).

You pushed too late. You had a very large food advantage in the mid-game but never capitalized. You didn't push out until you capped at 200/200 which means you started to accumulate excess resources and your macro stopped. Plus you gave him extra time to catch up in food, and delaying his tech meant nothing as he still had multiple collosi and archons waiting for you.

Couple other things.

1.) If you're gonna go MMM against a Protoss who's going Colossi/Archon, you should be using drops more. A protoss deathball is just going to murder that sort of composition food-for-food. Exploit your mobility.

2.) You accumulated a lot of gas in the mid/late game. 3k in the bank at one point? I think you should probably diversify a bit. I'm no expert on late game Terran but it seems maybe something like Ravens could have done you some good.

Paches

Stats.jpg

I have been doing better against Protoss lately, but I am still struggling vs Terran. I have lost the last 4 or 5 vs Terran due to bizarre openings that are really hard to deal with if you don't get the proper info in time (Proxy Reaper spam, Marauder rush, 6 Rax SCV all in, etc). I need to sit down and dissect a pro opener vs Terran that is much more well rounded than the one I am using now, which is pretty greedy opener.

Top Bottom