• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Oh shit Im actually learning...well... cheesing the fuck out of zerg with 2 base play
Im just about back to 50% after dipping down to 30% lol

tnwb2OY.png

One loss was canon rush I didnt see so meh

Complistic

Really enjoying the campaign. Cheesy as hell but then again starcraft has always been over the top.

More important than the story, the missions feel really well designed. Hard seems really well balanced, it's hard but I don't usually fail more than once at any difficult parts.

I'm getting close to GM. Been playing GMs / former GMs recently. Now I just gotta wait for someone to get kicked out.

Nice man! GAF nights is gonna be lonely though, everyone would want you on their team but no one would want to play against you LOL.

I played 2 TvTs and 2 TvZ. I won both TvZ and one of the TvT.

The other TvT which was my 1st match of the day, the other guy outmacroed me and had mech with BC. It was a good game though.

Here is the 2nd TvT game with the pulled SCVs and stim timing. This Terran was super greedy lol. His tank position wasn't the best either. I was surprised how well it went with blind scouting hahahaa.

http://drop.sc/318593

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
My fingers hurt after last nights session... Damn it.

Have any of you guys who use protoss been using the mass tempest/VR cannon style against zerg? It really is a joke how strong it is, i almost feel dirty doing it at the moment. Not so much because it's imba but it's just so damn easy to use. I'm playing god awful and still beating diamond players easily.

Vaporak

Have any of you guys who use protoss been using the mass tempest/VR cannon style against zerg? It really is a joke how strong it is, i almost feel dirty doing it at the moment. Not so much because it's imba but it's just so damn easy to use. I'm playing god awful and still beating diamond players easily.

Is it still FFE->double stargate -> mass void + HT? That existed pretty early on in WoL and got shut down hard by aggressive hydra usage. IIRC it's in fact the only loss MC had to July Zerg way back in his second championship.

When does the bliz World Series thing start? I'd like to pick some top seeded zergs to follow through the season. If the only games media I follow is SC2 related then I maybe I can save myself some money by not being interested in other games.
Korea has started with the GSL but nothing so far announced for the other regions other than the partners. According to the graphic they released they're all supposed to start more or less simultaneously so something should be announced very soon. I get the feeling they haven't fully figured this out yet and it was a bit of a last minute thing..

I'm curious to see whether sc2 has enough of an active player base and viewership to supports something like this. It works for LoL but that has 5x at least of both of those.

Is it still FFE->double stargate -> mass void + HT? That existed pretty early on in WoL and got shut down hard by aggressive hydra usage. IIRC it's in fact the only loss MC had to July Zerg way back in his second championship.

It's sort of like that yeah except that now it's HOTS and the build works out completely differently. Firstly because void rays now are much stronger than they were then. Planetary nexus also makes it far easier to survive early aggression. There is also the tempest which now lets you siege the zerg forcing them to come and attack you.

It's incredibly powerful and easy to use.

Korea has started with the GSL but nothing so far announced for the other regions other than the partners. According to the graphic they released they're all supposed to start more or less simultaneously so something should be announced very soon. I get the feeling they haven't fully figured this out yet and it was a bit of a last minute thing..

I'm curious to see whether sc2 has enough of an active player base and viewership to supports something like this. It works for LoL but that has 5x at least of both of those.

LoL doesn't have close to 5x the viewership of SC2. It does however have far more than 5x the player base.

Had a pretty cool mech vs p yesterday if you want to check it out,.

http://drop.sc/318172

Horrible way to die. I had two players mech against me in recent PvTs. Once I had a standard gateway/colossi composition and couldn't do shit, the other time I went air which was flat out countered by mass Thors with new weapon mode. :\

Any advice in general how to play random as race? I'm playing with no real BOs on the fly in Platinum. Do we have any Masters Random players?

DerZuhälter;52878795 said:
Horrible way to die. I had two players mech against me in recent PvTs. Once I had a standard gateway/colossi composition and couldn't do shit, the other time I went air which was flat out countered by mass Thors with new weapon mode. :\

Any advice in general how to play random as race? I'm playing with no real BOs on the fly in Platinum. Do we have any Masters Random players?

I'm getting close to masters as random but there isn't much advice to give. Basically you just use the same builds as you would if you were choosing a race. There are some minor differences i guess. You have to get used to the way people react when they face random (which in a lot of cases seems to be early aggression/cheese). That plus you have to be ready for protoss players to gateway expand in PvZ as they have no choice almost.

My main advice would be to try and stick to just the one style per matchup (if you can find one that works across multiple matchups it's even better). When you have to worry about so many matchups it's hard to have as much variety in your play.

Vaporak

It's sort of like that yeah except that now it's HOTS and the build works out completely differently. Firstly because void rays now are much stronger than they were then. Planetary nexus also makes it far easier to survive early aggression. There is also the tempest which now lets you siege the zerg forcing them to come and attack you.

It's incredibly powerful and easy to use.

Voidray changed don't help vs hydras, and tempests aren't out in time to change anything. Mothership core might make it a safe strategy now, but my guess is that it's just a metagame thing where people aren't used to dealing with it.

Voidray changed don't help vs hydras, and tempests aren't out in time to change anything. Mothership core might make it a safe strategy now, but my guess is that it's just a metagame thing where people aren't used to dealing with it.

Hydras aren't an issue because you play the game far more defensively. You get a lot more cannons and you have the mothership core to help out. The big difference is now you know you are working towards an army they basically can't stop. Tempests also mean that the zerg is basically forced to engage you instead of hiding behind spores. The build is more built around tempests than voidrays as well.

I'm not saying there won't be a way to stop it but right now it's extremely powerful and i've seen it used right up into grandmasters (including on the Korean ladder). It may well get figured out but right now it's such an easy and effective way to play the matchup.

Edit: There is still that early dicey period where you're building your army. I'll have to play around with it some more to see how things go.

Vaporak

Hydras aren't an issue because you play the game far more defensively. You get a lot more cannons and you have the mothership core to help out. The big difference is now you know you are working towards an army they basically can't stop. Tempests also mean that the zerg is basically forced to engage you instead of hiding behind spores. The build is more built around tempests than voidrays as well.

I'm not saying there won't be a way to stop it but right now it's extremely powerful and i've seen it used right up into grandmasters (including on the Korean ladder). It may well get figured out but right now it's such an easy and effective way to play the matchup.

Edit: There is still that early dicey period where you're building your army. I'll have to play around with it some more to see how things go.

The standard response used to be dropping hydras in your main, cannons at the front don't help with that and you have a tiny air army at the time it comes.

The standard response used to be dropping hydras in your main, cannons at the front don't help with that and you have a tiny air army at the time it comes.

You can put cannons in your main if you suspect anything like that is coming and the mothership core helps greatly as well. With this style you are playing a much more turtle style that what you would in WOL. You are building a metric ton of cannons.

I remember how this played out in WOL and i wouldn't be surprised if something similar ended up working out. Right now it doesn't seem to be though.

Watching the GSL match when the protoss went airtoss, it was stupiditly overpowered composition. The zerg was completely helpless. He even tried going 26 infestors + mass hydra + mass corruptor and they just melted. His entire bank of 10k minerals vanished so quickly as he constantly was forced to engage the protoss and was just decimated every time.

Watching the GSL match when the protoss went airtoss, it was stupiditly overpowered composition. The zerg was completely helpless. He even tried going 26 infestors + mass hydra + mass corruptor and they just melted. His entire bank of 10k minerals vanished so quickly as he constantly was forced to engage the protoss and was just decimated every time.

I don't think it's necessarily imbalanced, i'm more concerned about how boring it makes the matchup. The response of just making pure infestor was a really bad one, constantly throwing them away didn't help. The army can be killed but that isn't the way.

I'm not even talking about at the top level with all this anyway, i was just referring to us plebs playing the game :p.

Zzoram

I think airtoss is completely viable vs zerg. Getting your 3rd is the only hard part in the matchup for toss right now.

http://drop.sc/318728

This was the last game I went airtoss, he went mass hydra for the most part.

Viable? It's universally agreed that airtoss is broken against Zerg right now because Zerg doesn't have good late game antiair. Zerg simply cannot beat a mass Void Ray, Tempest, High Templar/Archon army with cannoned up bases.

Viable? It's universally agreed that airtoss is broken against Zerg right now because Zerg doesn't have good late game antiair. Zerg simply cannot beat a mass Void Ray, Tempest, High Templar/Archon army with cannoned up bases.

Viable doesn't mean bad. Yes it's agreed upon to be great. But getting there is the hard part for most toss. That's why you still see so many 2 base plays.

Also broken? Really? lol

It's just as broken as Broodlord infestor was in WoL. Zerg can still win now it's just they have to do way more work than Toss at that point in the super late game. Which is funny because if we go back to WoL it was the complete opposite.

Xane

Sorry for being late to the party.
I bought HoTS last week, upgraded my WoL to HoTS by registering the key on battle.net, downloaded the installer, installed, launched..
While logging into the game I was asked for a name, upon entering I got to the main menu and bam, I lost all progress of WoL?
All my achievements, campaign-progress and even friend-list are gone.
.. what? :<

I bought HoTS last week, upgraded my WoL to HoTS by registering the key on battle.net, downloaded the installer, installed, launched..
While logging into the game I was asked for a name, upon entering I got to the main menu and bam, I lost all progress of WoL?

Hmm, I would give blizzard a ring if I were you.

Corran Horn

Are you on the same region? Changing regions will be different achievements/names.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member

I don't know how good it is, but on State of the Game Catz said he's figured out late game zerg, especially against that type of play, which is basically swarm host and mass static defense instead of broodlords. It's still broken in fun, but not in balance.

Xane

Are you on the same region? Changing regions will be different achievements/names.

Hmm.. might be. Can I switch region on the fly or do I have to reinstall?
I cannot log in to battle.net atm anyway as I use an authentificator, which is on my phone with empty batteries and I forgot my charger at work.. #fwp

But this might be it. Maybe I switched from EN GB to EN US without noticing.

Corran Horn

Hmm.. might be. Can I switch region on the fly or do I have to reinstall?
I cannot log in to battle.net atm anyway as I use an authentificator, which is on my phone with empty batteries and I forgot my charger at work.. #fwp

But this might be it. Maybe I switched from EN GB to EN US without noticing.

At the screen where you login, get to the point where you have to enter your email address and on left side of screen it will have a button called region. you can swap your region there.

Zyae

Ive mostly done unranked but ive won all 6 of my ranked 1v1s. Ranked as plat. Beat 2 diamond players in unranked but the only matchup I feel confident in right now is PvP oddly enough. I end up mostly playing team games so my mechanics in 1s are a bit rusty

Sickafant

Fun campaign. But the story was hard to sit through. I would like to see them try rebooting the lore or just do separate universes like FF. New IPs as well. Maybe it would give them the freedom to write something more compelling. We'll see with Titan I guess.

fatty

rUYypOx.png

Doing a bit better now. Actually winning games vs zerg lol. Still cant believe I dropped from 14-3 to this though -.-''

Teaches me for trying air lol

Lol, I helped your win percentage as I was one of your victims. I was wondering if I played you but that screenshot of your portrait and ID confirms it. I was playing so bad that night (not that I wouldn't have lost to you anyways). I had thought that I threw down my natural on time but I find out my drone was just standing there, ready for lookout duty. Then seeing you expand I try and be greedy and try to catch back up because of the late expansion and not throw down any spines and also skimped on the extra queens. Bad idea, esp. when you faked me out and came sooner than I expected. Doesn't help that my roaches came out late and I handled it poorly all around. That darn mothership core. :)

So many grueling 40 min+ PvZ today.

With the last one being 1hr 20 mins long with me losing because I didnt want to wait for him to attack anymore
lololol

Corran Horn

Lol, I helped your win percentage as I was one of your victims. I was wondering if I played you but that screenshot of your portrait and ID confirms it. I was playing so bad that night (not that I wouldn't have lost to you anyways). I had thought that I threw down my natural on time but I find out my drone was just standing there, ready for lookout duty. Then seeing you expand I try and be greedy and try to catch back up because of the late expansion and not throw down any spines and also skimped on the extra queens. Bad idea, esp. when you faked me out and came sooner than I expected. Doesn't help that my roaches came out late and I handled it poorly all around. That darn mothership core. :)

haha thats probably my first time playing a gaffer on ladder

Chris R

Love when people get pissed at me because they were greedy and tried to go 1 gate stargate and then pout when three zealots show up and destroy their base :|

Hell I could have just done a normal build and not proxy-gated and still won.

STOP BEING GREEDY! It is something that I have to tell my self again and again.

PvZ becoming a more difficult matchup for you than it was before?

No I won all of them except the ones where it went 1hr 20 min because I decided I didn't want to sit there any longer waiting for him to attack because my dinner was getting cold.

The only problem I'm having is time lol. I wanted to play 6 minimum games within two hours. I only had time for 4 because 3 of them were PvZ.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
i just did the tasteless build for the first time.

there are CEOs of multinational banks who just had their way with an ounce of cocaine and an exploited teenage lithuanian prostitute who feel cleaner than i do right now.

f0rk

No I won all of them except the ones where it went 1hr 20 min because I decided I didn't want to sit there any longer waiting for him to attack because my dinner was getting cold.

The only problem I'm having is time lol. I wanted to play 6 minimum games within two hours. I only had time for 4 because 3 of them were PvZ.

How many bases do you sit on when doing this? The suggested Zerg composition I've seen is Hydra/Swarm Host/Viper/Ultralisk and add in Corrupters as needed, I guess you don't have a problem with this?

i just did the tasteless build for the first time.

there are CEOs of multinational banks who just had their way with an ounce of cocaine and an exploited teenage lithuanian prostitute who feel cleaner than i do right now.

Was that the build that I saw streamed a little while ago? Tons of expansions, tons of cannons and mass tempests?

How many bases do you sit on when doing this? The suggested Zerg composition I've seen is Hydra/Swarm Host/Viper/Ultralisk and add in Corrupters as needed, I guess you don't have a problem with this?

First game of the day was vs a scouted 2 base swarm host. Very weird non standard game, lots of Doh moments. Look at th e unit list and and minimap in the picture for full effect.

http://drop.sc/318889

Second game is the turtle airtoss style vs a really high winrate/apm barcode (Maybe Pro?)
http://drop.sc/318890

Dont feel like taking a pic of game three here is a quickie PvP vs another barcode.
http://drop.sc/318891

3 is the number you need to support 4 stargates + air upgrades + cannons

you need 4 bases for templar.

Top Bottom