• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
It gets better. LOL

IX4YRUg.png

I've been masters since Season 2 WoL
and about three seasons ago I was GM MMR when I played all the time.

im copying you because i thought this was hilarious

lol-1_zpsbafde247.png

Paches

Idra just lost to qxc who basically went nothing but mines. Frustrated Idra=hilarious.

E: Third Terran in a row for him. "I am just going to take the stream down, just a waste of time". Or you know, you could learn how to beat them.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
Idra just lost to qxc who basically went nothing but mines. Frustrated Idra=hilarious.

E: Third Terran in a row for him. "I am just going to take the stream down, just a waste of time". Or you know, you could learn how to beat them.

Does anyone else think that spider mines are just a bit overpowered? They really are a fantastically effective unit for the cost, especially in the lower leagues where we just don't have the APM nor micro to "properly" deal with them. I've lost quite a few games to spider mines, and I've seen them do "miraculous" things in youtube vids and replays.

It's like, if they were ground only it would be one thing, but they are effective against everything, especially if an army is clumped up, which happens oh so often when players simply do attack moves.

FluxWaveZ

I don't really think they're that overpowered, but I don't think it's necessary for them to have a faster burrow upgrade. They're just extremely annoying, especially when the Terran army's standing over them meaning you can't micro a few units efficiently in order to set them off before the army kills the units.

Also a bit weird to me that they can attack air. What's the reasoning behind Widow Mines being able to attack air but not locusts from Swarm Hosts?

Majine

Banned

Idra is such a cartoon character. I've never seen him complement other players on his stream. It's either him winning (= Opponent was trash), or him losing (= The game is "stupid").

What I need is improved muscle memory. I type all day at work and have no problems but I still have to look at my keyboard to consistently hit number keys past 3.

SamuraiX-

What I need is improved muscle memory. I type all day at work and have no problems but I still have to look at my keyboard to consistently hit number keys past 3.

Yeah, pretty much everyone has this problem at first I think.

What I found is that it essentially takes forcing yourself not to look down at the keyboard for the entire game. I'm still slow at cycling through the hotkeys and I still make plenty of mistakes with what I select but I'm finally able to play without having to look down anymore.

Yeah I map command centers to 5, barracks to 6, factories to 7 and Starports to 8 but I probably move them all down a number. Realistically, I'm not going to map my army to more than 3 hotkeys very often.

I don't really think they're that overpowered, but I don't think it's necessary for them to have a faster burrow upgrade. They're just extremely annoying, especially when the Terran army's standing over them meaning you can't micro a few units efficiently in order to set them off before the army kills the units.

Also a bit weird to me that they can attack air. What's the reasoning behind Widow Mines being able to attack air but not locusts from Swarm Hosts?

I think blizzard wanted to give Terrans another weapon against the buffed mutas and make muta play more risky for the zerg. Helps a lot against oracle too, which just slaughter marines and would be very difficult to deal with without an early mine.

Is there a vod for this? I really want to see that?

FluxWaveZ

I think blizzard wanted to give Terrans another weapon against the buffed mutas and make muta play more risky for the zerg. Helps a lot against oracle too, which just slaughter marines and would be very difficult to deal with without an early mine.

Another weapon against Mutas? Like Marines and Thors were not enough (excluding Missile Turrets, which serve the purpose of a dedicated AA structure)?

Aylinato

Another weapon against Mutas? Like Marines and Thors were not enough (excluding Missile Turrets, which serve the purpose of a dedicated AA structure)?

Turrets aren't that good vs mutas. Thor's late game, no mobility. Marines are good but need numbers. Zerg needs a better late game unit, I'd be willing to let locus hit air(they aren't that strong)

Majine

Banned
Is there no way to reset your ladder rank? Recently switched to zerg, and now I'm getting destroyed on the ladder because obviously I am not as good. And no, The AI is not enough.

SamuraiX-

Is there no way to reset your ladder rank? Recently switched to zerg, and now I'm getting destroyed on the ladder because obviously I am not as good. And no, The AI is not enough.

Isn't there an option to leave the league you're currently placed in at the moment?

giri

Does anyone else think that spider mines are just a bit overpowered? They really are a fantastically effective unit for the cost, especially in the lower leagues where we just don't have the APM nor micro to "properly" deal with them. I've lost quite a few games to spider mines, and I've seen them do "miraculous" things in youtube vids and replays.

It's like, if they were ground only it would be one thing, but they are effective against everything, especially if an army is clumped up, which happens oh so often when players simply do attack moves.

No, i don't think mines are OP at all.
Yeah I map command centers to 5, barracks to 6, factories to 7 and Starports to 8 but I probably move them all down a number. Realistically, I'm not going to map my army to more than 3 hotkeys very often.

Thats how i map mine (5,6, 7, 8) And iirc, thats how demuslim does his (i think i switched mine to be very similar to his)

Terrans have no "static" defense that covers them vs ground. And mines cost supply. They should absolutely be able to target air units, makes the investment worthwhile. If they only targeted ground units then....... well, they would almost be phased out and people would just go back to tanks.

And listing Marines and Thors is just silly.

There's tons of ways to deal with them easily. Swarmhosts are one really great way to do it for no supply cost.

FluxWaveZ

Turrets aren't that good vs mutas. Thor's late game, no mobility. Marines are good but need numbers. Zerg needs a better late game unit, I'd be willing to let locus hit air(they aren't that strong)

When turrets can be repaired in perpetuity by SCVs, I think they're just fine. By the time that Mutas get to a critical mass where they can deal with turrets without worrying about the repairs, then it will be far enough into the game where the Terran will have Thors out to deal with the Mutas and enough out so that magic boxing won't be that effective. Marines are an efficient counter to Mutas, so I'm not really getting why it's bad that one needs a few backed up by a couple of Medivacs to cost effectively wipe out Mutalisks.

And listing Marines and Thors is just silly.

Wait, why is listing those units silly when it comes to Mutas?

When turrets can be repaired in perpetuity by SCVs, I think they're just fine. By the time that Mutas get to a critical mass where they can deal with turrets without worrying about the repairs, then it will be far enough into the game where the Terran will have Thors out to deal with the Mutas and enough out so that magic boxing won't be that effective. Marines are an efficient counter to Mutas, so I'm not really getting why it's bad that one needs a few backed up by a couple of Medivacs to cost effectively wipe out Mutalisks.

This is all wings of liberty, not HotS. Mutas are much stronger in HotS. Marines are good but their effectiveness is severely diminished by the fact mutas can now regenerate hp and marines are rarely able to do more than damage them before the mutas fly off. Its not that hard to bring along an overseer with your mutas when going to harass. Air units are so strong in HotS for all races that having mines not hit air would be very detrimental to terran.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Screw that the jumping Banelings are the scariest thing in the world if you are a light unit with low health. The stuff made in Marine nightmares.

Right, I'm talking about the counter to diamondbacks. Diamondbacks wouldn't do a thing to raptors. Diamondbacks only do +damage against armored units and they couldn't outrun the raptors, especially since they leap to attack. They're like zerglings, reapers, and chargelots all rolled into one unit.

FluxWaveZ

This is all wings of liberty, not HotS. Mutas are much stronger in HotS. Marines are good but their effectiveness is severely diminished by the fact mutas can now regenerate hp and marines are rarely able to do more than damage them before the mutas fly off. Its not that hard to bring along an overseer with your mutas when going to harass.

I'm not saying that Widow Mines are too much of a problem to deal with for Muta harass, but you were making it seem that Terran specifically needed an extra tool versus buffed Mutas which I don't agree with. And health regeneration really doesn't have that much of an impact during a harass before the Mutas leave the enemy base (kinda like Reapers).

I'm not saying that Widow Mines are too much of a problem to deal with for Muta harass, but you were making it seem that Terran specifically needed an extra tool versus buffed Mutas which I don't agree with. And health regeneration really doesn't have that much of an impact during a harass before the Mutas leave the enemy base (kinda like Reapers).

Health regen increases the mutas survivability. Their combat effectiveness against marines suck, but with good micro you can save so much more now. Simply taking a few shots from marines doesn't matter anymore. Anyway, mines hitting air definitely doesn't end with mutalisks. They help the Terran against air in all matchups. They aid against speed medivacs and the oracle.

FluxWaveZ

Health regen increases the mutas survivability. Their combat effectiveness against marines suck, but with good micro you can save so much more now. Simply taking a few shots from marines doesn't matter anymore.

I suppose that's true, though I'm doubtful about the significance of x4 health regen to a Mutas health during a harass before they flee.

But again, where do Widow Mines come in (which is what I was questioning in regards to Mutas, not other cases)? If Marines are defending a base, like you said, the Mutas will have to flee.

I suppose that's true, though I'm doubtful about the significance of x4 health regen to a Mutas health during a harass before they flee.

But again, where do Widow Mines come in (which is what I was questioning in regards to Mutas, not other cases)? If Marines are defending a base, like you said, the Mutas will have to flee.

At most a WM kills one muta and does 40 damage to the other mutas. Unless stimmed Marines go under them they can still escape and regain that 40 HP easily. It takes about 4-5 WM shots to do the AOE damage to kill all Mutas. Just be sure to send 1 Muta ahead of the pack. Its normal to do so considering Turrets and Marines could be waiting.

FluxWaveZ

At most a WM kills one muta and does 40 damage to the other mutas. Unless stimmed Marines go under them they can still escape and regain that 40 HP easily. It takes about 4-5 WM shots to do the AOE damage to kill all Mutas. Just be sure to send 1 Muta ahead of the pack. Its normal to do so considering Turrets and Marines could be waiting.

That's what I thought, so Widow Mines weren't meant to be an answer to buffed Mutas unless they were devised for pre-emptive damage to Muta balls. I guess it makes Muta play riskier, as was mentioned, but it's not as though Terran don't have the tools to deal with buffed Mutas without the WMs.

But again, where do Widow Mines come in? If Marines are defending a base, like you said, the Mutas will have to flee.

Well its arguable that its completely necessary against mutalisks and I doubt blizzard made them hit air just because of mutalisks, but it definitely helps. It forces the zerg to not be as carefree with the relentless harass as they were in WoL, at least if they dont have detection. A few mine shots also makes it much easier for marines to actually get guaranteed kills on mutalisks. I personally find it also helps a lot in fighting for map control.

Widow mines have their weaknesses in base defense. They are terribly immobile so if you have detection and can see where they are you can just avoid that area or you can actually just kill the mines if you got detection. There was a guide posted on teamliquid how you can kill mines with mutas without losing anything. I'm not a zerg player so I dunno how hard that would be to pull off though.

To be honest, in the platinum league I have had almost no mutalisk trouble. I'm not sure if its due to mines or not but zerg just doesn't seem to harass anymore. Maybe they are busy dealing with all the drops I keep queuing up but its very rare for them to charge into my base these days.

That's crazy why doesn't anyone ever burrow their drones?

They do. Rarely works though especially against Terran cause they can just scan.

Ketch

They do, but it depends on the scenario. Also, burrow is an upgrade.

I don't know, I'm just surprised that it doesn't ever really happen.

I guess it would be most useful against mid game worker harass.

I'm thinking of trying to take advantage of tunneling claws since I go so heavy roach, and it's probably pretty sweet in silver

Top Bottom