• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Has anyone else been having trouble with Twitch lately? I've never had issues with HD streams before but suddenly I'm getting a ton of stuttering even in non HD resolutions sometimes.

sixghost

I think one of the hardest things is holding off that initial pressure against zerg while still macroing. It's something that I still struggle with a lot.

Here is one where I hold off early ling/bling pressure with slow zerglings/spines/queens until my roaches are out and he gg's because I am ahead economically.
http://drop.sc/324287

One where I go roach hydra against his ling/bling/muta.
http://drop.sc/324288

Holding of a 10 pool:
http://drop.sc/324291

6 Pool against the same guy:
http://drop.sc/324292

I will try to look out for more replays where I go against mutas, I will admit that it can be hard but if your macro is good, at gold level I think you are still good to go. More replays regarding early pressure are also at this post.

Is there any reason you prefer to defend with slowlings, queens and sunks rather than matching their speedling/bane and sporing up once mutas come into play? The obvious advantage of going speedling/bane is that you would have the option of taking a 3rd before their mutas are out, or shutting down their third with ling/bane. The style you describe seems like you are locked into hitting a 2 base timing.

Striek

Call it peer pressure from the progamer/nerd baller community; however, I began to become aware of how much pressure I had to push to get my old keyboard to actually register a keystroke. (First nerd-world problem, right? "I have to push my key all the way down? Psh!")

Maybe its because I've never used a mechanical keyboard but I don't see how its possible to hit a key softly enough to not register on a normal one. I have a bog standard Microsoft 500 and its pretty perfect.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Maybe its because I've never used a mechanical keyboard but I don't see how its possible to hit a key softly enough to not register on a normal one. I have a bog standard Microsoft 500 and its pretty perfect.

tru dat. I have a logitech 10 dollar keyboard atm and its perfect. Had microsoft one before and worked just as well.

fatty

Is there any reason you prefer to defend with slowlings, queens and sunks rather than matching their speedling/bane and sporing up once mutas come into play? The obvious advantage of going speedling/bane is that you would have the option of taking a 3rd before their mutas are out, or shutting down their third with ling/bane. The style you describe seems like you are locked into hitting a 2 base timing.

Basically I'm just following FilterSC's build to get high economy and then the idea is I expand behind a roach timing push before they get too many mutas going. It's been pretty good for me to get to Diamond but now with the HOTS infestor nerf and muta buff I'm thinking of tinkering it some and adding mutas.

Plus side is if you get your economy going and hit your benchmarks it will be hard for them to defend a third with your roaches, even with mutas. Downside is even with a roach/hydra build it can be difficult defending muta harrassment late game.

kvothe

So I was playing a 2v2 and we were about to lose, my partner gg'd and surrendered and I stuck around just a bit longer to say "nice cheese ;)" and was about to surrender when the game ended and it said we won. Is this a thing people do? Beat people but then quit out before the other people can surrender? A weird form of trolling?

Went up against a platinum player and made one dumb mistake, and I lost. If I had a bunker up in time, I probably would have stopped his banelings w/ minimal damage. Ugh.

Try a mechanical and you'll understand pretty fast. I cringe everytime I go to the lab at my school when I start typing on regular keyboards.

Ketch

I think one of the hardest things is holding off that initial pressure against zerg while still macroing. It's something that I still struggle with a lot.

Here is one where I hold off early ling/bling pressure with slow zerglings/spines/queens until my roaches are out and he gg's because I am ahead economically.
http://drop.sc/324287

One where I go roach hydra against his ling/bling/muta.
http://drop.sc/324288

Holding of a 10 pool:
http://drop.sc/324291

6 Pool against the same guy:
http://drop.sc/324292

I will try to look out for more replays where I go against mutas, I will admit that it can be hard but if your macro is good, at gold level I think you are still good to go. More replays regarding early pressure are also at this post.

Thanks for posting these, I use the filterSC build too. It has really helped with my macro game. I think that getting 1 gas and a roach warren early might be the way to go. Maybe just build like 4 roaches, and then back to droning until lair tech? Macro is still going to take a hit, 175 for a roach warren, at least another 100min for roaches, plus you have to take drones off minerals for the gas... plus the cost of the roaches, and then more so if you loose any... eh.. Maybe if I don't go 4 gas until like 6:45 instead of 6:00? That's still really expensive.

or Maybe it would be better to go like 8 slow lings, 2 spines, 4 queens, and just defend. That's no gas requirement, and only it only costs 200 minerals "extra" then the standard roach build. If he got banelings it would suck... If I could trade slow lings for his fast lings and not just die to banelings though I'd be ok right? Even if I had to get a bunch more slow lings?

So I would build an overlord on 16/18, build the queen to go 18/18, and then get 4 sets of slow lings, build another overlord on 22, and go strait back to droning and the standard filtersc build.

the enemy lings always seem to hit too early.

Lost 6 and won 3 tonight. All of the losses were because of sloppy macro. Slipping in macro is abnormal for me; it is the one thing I do pretty well (ie. I am usually working on my aggression early/multiple pronged attacks).

Sloppy macro came from an APM drop - my usual 210 down to 160. The keyboard definitely played a huge part in this. As to be expected though - you change your gear and it takes a little while to get used to it. The three wins were at the end of the night; not sure if I was getting used to it or if blizz matchmaking got a little sympathetic. :p

I really like the keyboard; I can see myself moving much faster on this and the sound... sweet jesus that beautiful beautiful sound! :)

I'm a convert; even if I have to lose my way back to my pre-mechanical position/feeling.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I miss my mechanical keyboards... Need to start buying those again ._.

kvothe

They were overawed by your musical talents, sexual prowess, and amazing hair.

But for real, is this a common bug? It happened to my friend the other day, too. The person he was playing against messaged him after the game asking what happened but neither of them knew.

Aylinato

But for real, is this a common bug? It happened to my friend the other day, too. The person he was playing against messaged him after the game asking what happened but neither of them knew.

Left the game too sooner because they thought they won after u said gg

lol I use my laptop's keyboard with little trouble. I have a Blackwidow in storage but its awkward to use with the laptop. I'm gonna wait until I get a desktop to use the keyboard.

So I was playing a 2v2 and we were about to lose, my partner gg'd and surrendered and I stuck around just a bit longer to say "nice cheese ;)" and was about to surrender when the game ended and it said we won. Is this a thing people do? Beat people but then quit out before the other people can surrender? A weird form of trolling?

Are you in a low league? People often do stuff like that to try and keep their MMR low so they can keep doing their cheeses for fun.

duckroll

Does anyone have any useful advice for MP? I play Protoss, a friend of mine plays Terran. I'm a pretty shitty player, so my strategies are pretty limited. I find it hard to multitask, and I'm pretty bad at unit micro.

What's the best way to use an early game force of zealots/stalkers + sentries for example? How many sentries are considered a good amount in terms of ratio with zealots and stalkers? Are they good for anything other than the defensive shield?

My only other strategy is to build a bunch of Stargates and spam Void Rays. I don't even know why. I think I just like the way they move and attack. It's pretty cool to have concentrated laser spam en mass. Unfortunately that only works when I get them out fast enough and the opponents don't have strong anti-air.

What are good synergies between Protoss and Terran in 2v2 games for HotS?

We played against a Zerg-Terran team yesterday and got totally creamed by the Zerg player alone. He started expanding really quickly, and his initial army was just Queens. After we did an initial attack which seemed relatively successful, he started pumping out Roaches really quickly. Within a matter of minutes he had expanded to 3 different spots on the map, and his creep was covering pretty much the entire map preventing any sort of expansion for anyone else. It was really... painful. Lol. >_<

Zen

Banned
Well first of all what league are you :D I don't play Protoss mind you, but some important questions for any new player trying to improve: Are you hotkeying your buildings and using the hotkeys for unit construction? The first thing you should be focusing on are getting comfortable with those two things.

As Terran when i want to build an SCV I hit 1 for my CC and S for an SCV, that kind of thing? If you're having trouble remembering the unit hotkeys for production you can turn them on to appear with the unit icons on the right side when you select the building.

Also join the Neogaf group if you haven't already :p

Mr Swine

Banned
Does anyone have any useful advice for MP? I play Protoss, a friend of mine plays Terran. I'm a pretty shitty player, so my strategies are pretty limited. I find it hard to multitask, and I'm pretty bad at unit micro.

What's the best way to use an early game force of zealots/stalkers + sentries for example? How many sentries are considered a good amount in terms of ratio with zealots and stalkers? Are they good for anything other than the defensive shield?

My only other strategy is to build a bunch of Stargates and spam Void Rays. I don't even know why. I think I just like the way they move and attack. It's pretty cool to have concentrated laser spam en mass. Unfortunately that only works when I get them out fast enough and the opponents don't have strong anti-air.

What are good synergies between Protoss and Terran in 2v2 games for HotS?

We played against a Zerg-Terran team yesterday and got totally creamed by the Zerg player alone. He started expanding really quickly, and his initial army was just Queens. After we did an initial attack which seemed relatively successful, he started pumping out Roaches really quickly. Within a matter of minutes he had expanded to 3 different spots on the map, and his creep was covering pretty much the entire map preventing any sort of expansion for anyone else. It was really... painful. Lol. >_<

1. As I play Protoss I never build sentries but I think 3 are good, if the Terran tries to rush you can put up a FF n the ramp while getting a larger force. Zealots are good as meat shields while stackers snipe from afar. The shields that sentries has are good when it reduces Marine damage from 6 to 4.

2. Try to do a proxy stargate somewhere where the Terran doesn't scout you and make an oracle. Then fly to his base and kill his SCV and marines. Then build a observer so you can have an eye in what he is building. You just can't spam voids and think that it's always going to work.

3. Harass him with a few DT, not togheter since he will scan them and they will all die togheter.

As for Protoss and Terran synergies, let the Terran player go mass marines at the beginning while you make zealots and stackers and push. If the enemies have siege tanks or other defenses, go tempest and so on. Terran should have at least 6 ravens so he can drop a few hunter seeker missiles at the enemies or point defense drones

duckroll

I've played like maybe one or two dozen games in HotS so far, but only in Unranked, and on the SEA servers. I basically just play with a friend and we do 2v2 games. I used to play WoL a lot more, but that was ages ago and somehow I feel a lot dumber after finishing the HotS campaign. Too slow these days. Lol.

Maybe we should try Ranked matches? I dunno. Feel like a scrub. :p

Striek

Probably don't play SEA, especially in team games. You'll find more balanced opponents on NA/KR since theres way more players.

Sentries? Get a few, 3-4 enough to forcefield and use guardian shield.

Protoss and terran combo very well. Colossi/zealot/stalker for ground and viking/marine/medivac for air, its pretty good.

But really you can use any composition and win at most levels, first and foremost its about execution.

I've played like maybe one or two dozen games in HotS so far, but only in Unranked, and on the SEA servers. I basically just play with a friend and we do 2v2 games. I used to play WoL a lot more, but that was ages ago and somehow I feel a lot dumber after finishing the HotS campaign. Too slow these days. Lol.

Maybe we should try Ranked matches? I dunno. Feel like a scrub. :p

Medivac/Zealot drops. Take control of some of your friend's medivacs or give him some zealots. Or get control of Colossus and speed drop colossus. Crazy fun to be had in 2v2

Happens to me sometimes, feels good.

MrKnives

So I visited the GOM studio and it was a lot of fun. Talked strats with koreans. Talked with Tastosis. Got their autograph and saw decent games.
Will do it again soon (in couple weeks) and will be giving shoutouts to GAF.

fanboi

Banned
So I visited the GOM studio and it was a lot of fun. Talked strats with koreans. Talked with Tastosis. Got their autograph and saw decent games.
Will do it again soon (in couple weeks) and will be giving shoutouts to GAF.

How in hell do you talk strat with a Korean? You don't even play.

:D

MrKnives

How in hell do you talk strat with a Korean? You don't even play.
:D

Mostly GSL level strats, been following that kinda closely as it's much easier to do it here. Noticed that they really don't like skytoss.
Everyone screamed imba skytoss when Squirtle was playing but sadly he didn't quite bring it home

Sibylus

Banned
Posted yet? http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/9496789/WCS_2013_Format_Players_Prizes_and_Points-4_16_2013

EFAUM8KBXM7Y1365812749410.jpg

VOOY9U2HBTLC1365812937169.jpg

Tenks

Does that mean in Season 1 the "points" don't actually matter? It is all based upon invites and results in various challenger brackets?

Mairu

Only 8 new 'challenger league' players per season in NA/EU as opposed to the 22 in KR

Kinda dumb considering most of the players were invited

Only 8 new 'challenger league' players per season in NA/EU as opposed to the 22 in KR

Kinda dumb considering most of the players were invited

That's probably the most disappointing thing to me (i'd like more prize money but that's probably not changing).

I am very interested to see how many tournaments we get besides WCS especially in Korea.

Mairu

That's probably the most disappointing thing to me (i'd like more prize money but that's probably not changing).

I am very interested to see how many tournaments we get besides WCS especially in Korea.

Feels like it'll be like the GSL before they made it difficult to stay in Code S. Too easy to stay in, especially with most of the players being invited.

The prize pool situation sucks for Korea considering there's one less GSL this year and there is no separate OSL. I hope they do get something else other than just 4 individual league tournaments a year.

Top Bottom