• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

A multiplayer question:
What race would you recommend for casual beginner (who understands basics of Starcraft)?

I played WoL multiplayer a bit when the game came out but afterwards, i don't think i've played any. I think i used to play as Protoss mostly, but i don't really remember.
(The only thing i know for sure was that i once won with a zergling rush very early, just in 2-3 minutes, bottom (bronze?) league of course)

Don't have any go-to multiplayer at the moment so i guess i could give Starcraft a try.

You should honestly just try out every race and pick the one that "clicks" with you. Every race is viable for a casual beginner. Zerg is the most different so it may be the hardest to get used to, but at the end of the day Zerg being the "reactive race" is long gone. The Zerg player can often just follow a build order well into masters no different than a Terran or Protoss can.

Woorloog

Banned
You should honestly just try out every race and pick the one that "clicks" with you. Every race is viable for a casual beginner. Zerg is the most different so it may be the hardest to get used to, but at the end of the day Zerg being the "reactive race" is long gone. The Zerg player can often just follow a build order well into masters no different than a Terran or Protoss can.

I like the Zerg visual design, i love the idea of overwhelming numbers but they never really clicked on me, at all. Not even in single player where i can take my time.
And most of all, i despise Spawn Larvae, how mandatory it is yet so fucking boring by having to use it every 40 seconds. Though at lower leagues, where i'm going to be almost certainly, i can probably play without perfect use.

I do like both Protoss and Terrans but each side has things i don't like. Guess i'll have to try each one... i'd prefer to stick with one faction and learn it well. In Warcraft 3, i could play with all 4 armies but i wasn't very good with any of them.

My second biggest issue is microing, i'm not very fast, nor accurate.
My biggest issue is multitasking, i'm awful at controlling both my base and my army (especially if it requires microing), leading me to neglect the other while controlling one.
And this is something i've never managed to fix, i played Warcraft 3 for years (casually) and i've lost armies and bases to not reacting fast enough, and lost games due to neglecting teching while controlling my army.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ultras are good

I like the Zerg visual design, i love the idea of overwhelming numbers but they never really clicked on me, at all. Not even in single player where i can take my time.
And most of all, i despise Spawn Larvae, how mandatory it is yet so fucking boring by having to use it every 40 seconds. Though at lower leagues, where i'm going to be almost certainly, i can probably play without perfect use.

I do like both Protoss and Terrans but each side has things i don't like. Guess i'll have to try each one... i'd prefer to stick with one faction and learn it well. In Warcraft 3, i could play with all 4 armies but i wasn't very good with any of them.

My second biggest issue is microing, i'm not very fast, nor accurate.
My biggest issue is multitasking, i'm awful at controlling both my base and my army (especially if it requires microing), leading me to neglect the other while controlling one.
And this is something i've never managed to fix, i played Warcraft 3 for years (casually) and i've lost armies and bases to not reacting fast enough, and lost games due to neglecting teching while controlling my army.

Sounds like you should stick with Protoss. Those skills are basically essential to a Terran much more so than other races. You are able to play protoss much better using typical tactics while Terran requires high level of multitasking and micro to successfully win battles. Terran deathballs are significantly weaker than Protoss deathballs. In every matchup as Protoss (except maybe PvP) you can just turtle to a deathball while as a Terran you definitely need to put the aggression on.

Woorloog

Banned
Sounds like you should stick with Protoss. Those skills are basically essential to a Terran much more so than other races. You are able to play protoss much better using typical tactics while Terran requires high level of multitasking and micro to successfully win battles.

Or i should play Terran to learn those skills, eh?

This is one reason why i used to play as Protoss mostly (i think).

I do like Terran's high power though, seeing a Siege Tank line to blast away enemy army is so satisfying, much more so than Protoss Colossi pew-pewing...

Complistic

I'm only a silver protoss, was a diamond protoss back in WOL before I stopped playing, but toss really does seem easiest to play at lower levels. Now I'm not calling them easy at higher levels, I think as you rank up all the races become similar in required skills, but for a beginner or someone who doesn't play very much you'll probably have the most fun with them.

That's why I play as them anyway. That and they look/sound like total badasses.

Woorloog

Banned
That's why I play as them anyway. That and they look/sound like total badasses.

They do. Well, apart from air-units, and Colossi are kinda boring.
Miss Reaver and Scout.

I think i'll try as Terran at first, and try things that require micro and multitasking to learn those skills, if it is too demanding, i'll go to Protoss.

Ketch

mbMonk, habitual appologizer:

mbmonk.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

Ketch

The chat is SO bad. One guy repeating the same quote about how many more viewers league gets trying to troll but no one is responding... yet he keeps repeating it.

duckroll

Fuck me with a 8 inch dildo. So I took the earlier recommendation from the thread and migrated to the US server with my friend. We got placed in Bronze League, and then we got GATEWAY RUSHED.

Beyond embarrassing. We were blocking the entrance at the start and noticed a probe move in. We joked that they might be trying to cannon rush us, or build shit. But somehow, no one went to find out where the probe went, and we just kept playing. Turns out they managed to get a SCV in too, which we didn't see. Gateway+Barrack rush from behind our base. OWNED. HARD.

I'm such a scrub. :(

Fuck me with a 8 inch dildo. So I took the earlier recommendation from the thread and migrated to the US server with my friend. We got placed in Bronze League, and then we got GATEWAY RUSHED.

Beyond embarrassing. We were blocking the entrance at the start and noticed a probe move in. We joked that they might be trying to cannon rush us, or build shit. But somehow, no one went to find out where the probe went, and we just kept playing. Turns out they managed to get a SCV in too, which we didn't see. Gateway+Barrack rush from behind our base. OWNED. HARD.

Happens to everyone. once you get enough games in knowing how to stop cheese becomes easy.

Woorloog

Banned
Always got the impression anything anyone did in team games is cheese.

Indeed, which is why i abhor the idea of playing team games. Besides, i'd rather learn to play 1v1 first. Once i know i can play well enough alone i can consider team games.
Well, that and getting someone to play with, not going to play with randoms... Got enough of that in Warcraft 3.

EDIT is there a comprehensive list of changes from WoL to HotS? I got impression there are quite many small changes (like Siege Mode being alreay researched now?).

Ketch

Just saw the bracket. Holy crap, are they really gonna stream all of those games?

One of us! One of us!

There's a group of us ummm "lesser" skilled players who all do practice games together, you should play with us. We need more people. If peer pressure means anything to you, you should know mumei played with us (although, I think he's secretly really good).

Yoshichan

Duckrolls post literally made me laugh out loud.

Ketch

Yey, looks like it's finally starting.

Dude needs a bigger mousepad though.

Can't wait until there's a pro player named "HALOx420x"

Won my first game vs a mid masters T in the WCS tourney.

He was trying to get a free win game 1 because he knew he was losing. Still won the game even after waiting in pause game 1.

Because of that I did my daybreak cannon rush vs T cheese game 2.

feels good bros.
Gonna upload reps in a sec.
EDIT: also stay shh about this, the rules say I'm not supposed to talk about the games.

Game 1: http://drop.sc/325817
Game 2: http://drop.sc/325818

Mairu

Jaedong drops a map to some random NA zerg in the first round of wcs qualifier

time to retire

lucky for him this is wcs na and not eu, he would already be out if this was the eu qualifier

Ketch

Won my first game vs a mid masters T in the WCS tourney.

He was trying to get a free win game 1 because he knew he was losing. Still won the game even after waiting in pause game 1.

Because of that I did my daybreak cannon rush vs T cheese game 2.

feels good bros.
Gonna upload reps in a sec.
EDIT: also stay shh about this, the rules say I'm not supposed to talk about the games.

Game 1: http://drop.sc/325817
Game 2: http://drop.sc/325818

Nice ! EJ All the way!

WCS has jumped to the top my list of awesome things!

Jaedong goes down to some random NA zerg. Fellow GAFer winning games in the tourney. Too good!

Top Bottom