• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Woorloog

Banned
Do players start in high ground in all maps in SC2? I never liked that, always found more open bases more interesting due to their vulnerability.

Ketch

I do not like the caster on the right, his mouse pad is way to big.

Who are the best casters in NA?

I really like Day[9]

Do players start in high ground in all maps in SC2? I never liked that, always found more open bases more interesting due to their vulnerability.

In 1v1 yes. I know on some of the team game maps the bases area a lot more open.

sixghost

Main base with a narrow ramp and natural expansion with a larger non-ramp entrance is the standard for Starcraft maps. Anything else results in terrible low econ games like the first 4-5 months of SC2.

There needs to be an incentive to play defensively or else you get games like early SC2 where both players stay on 1base until it's mined out.

Woorloog

Banned
Main base with a narrow ramp and natural expansion with a larger non-ramp entrance is the standard for Starcraft maps. Anything else results in terrible low econ games like the first 4-5 months of SC2.

There needs to be an incentive to play defensively or else you get games like early SC2 where both players stay on 1base until it's mined out.

Huh.
Did Warcraft 3 maps have ramps as well? I think they often had at least two routes to each base but not sure about ramps or other choke points.

What about OG SC/BW maps?

I just find the design kinda.. i don't know, uninteresting. No two-pronged attacks to main base without air forces.
Also i don't like the false sense of security a choke point gives, especially if opponent goes to drop ships, colossi, or reapers. An easy trap to fall into.
And neither do i like that i'm naturally defensive (but also very bad at it), which means "easily" defensive position attracts me, and in long run i can't win just by sitting in my base building a big fucking army. I need to be aggressive, and i'd prefer if there were nothing distracting me from that.
I guess i just need to learn away from defensiveness.

EDIT at least i'm defensive in most RTS single player campaigns and versus AI modes, i build my base 50 minutes or so and steam roll the AI in 5... Unless a mission has time limit, in which case i don't like the mission.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
EJ, you are amazing! You go, tiger!
It's pretty funny. Until it happens to you. :(
I don't normally get cheesed, but when I do, the world knows about it :3.

Ketch

Huh.
Did Warcraft 3 maps have ramps as well? I think they often had at least two routes to each base but not sure about ramps or other choke points.

What about OG SC/BW maps?

I just find the design kinda.. i don't know, uninteresting. No two-pronged attacks to main base without air forces.
Also i don't like the false sense of security a choke point gives, especially if opponent goes to drop ships, colossi, or reapers. An easy trap to fall into.
And neither do i like that i'm naturally defensive (but also very bad at it), which means "easily" defensive position attracts me, and in long run i can't win just by sitting in my base building a big fucking army. I need to be aggressive, and i'd prefer if there were nothing distracting me from that.
I guess i just need to learn away from defensiveness.

EDIT at least i'm defensive in most RTS single player campaigns and versus AI modes, i build my base 50 minutes or so and steam roll the AI in 5... Unless a mission has time limit, in which case i don't like the mission.

Warcraft 3 is sooooo much different then starcraft, it's not a very fair comparison. The value of any one unit is so much higher in Warcraft and expanding is not nearly as common.

The ramp to the main is like the only thing keeping all the games from ending in 5 minutes.

Woorloog

Banned
Warcraft 3 is sooooo much different then starcraft, it's not a very fair comparison. The value of any one unit is so much higher in Warcraft and expanding is not nearly as common.

The ramp to the main is like the only thing keeping all the games from ending in 5 minutes.

True that about WC3. Just started to wonder. Also realized that i don't remember much about WC3 really, i didn't remember expanding not being common, in my memory it was standard way to play... And memory isn't always very reliable. EDIT remember unit value being high, and armies small. Was a lot better in micro in that game than i'm in Starcraft. Larger units made selection and targeting easier as well.
But Starcraft/Brood War maps?

Ketch

Artosis and Mr. Bitter.

Yea, I thought artosis casted korea though...

True that about WC3. Just started to wonder. Also realized that i don't remember much about WC3 really, i didn't remember expanding not being common, in my memory it was standard way to play... And memory isn't always very realiable. But Starcraft/Brood War maps?

Not that it was uncommon in WC3, just that it's not AS common as SC2... Expanding in SC is like absolutely critical in all cases. In most cases I'm expanding before I have a single army unit, definitely do not see that in WC3.

I don't know anything about broodwar. I've seen clips from old games... that's about it.

zargle

I enjoy Rotterdam's casting, even when paired with Mr. Bitter.

But yeah, these two arent great. Similar to the proleague english casters (although these two are a little better).

Does he just not do MLG then? He didn't do MLG winter series either... Anyway, point is: I do not like these casters.

I'm not a fan of those casters either but we're stuck with them since MLG is hosting this. I like Axlav's post game analysis but he isn't a good caster.

I like TotalBiscuit although he's somewhat of a love/hate type caster. IMO InControl is a very good caster.

Wunder

They're not doing a good job. They just spent the whole last game talking about how good the one guy was doing even though he was clearly loosing.

Gretorp? He was winning and doing well. You have to understand the perspective of the casters - Gretorp is a foreigner AND he's a caster for NASL, so he's not even a full time pro player. To even get close to someone like Zenio who plays 8 hours a day is a good effort in and of itself. I don't know, Axslav and Axeltoss certainly aren't my favorite casters so I don't know why I'm defending them, but I don't think they're the worst either.

mbmonk

The hallmark of excellent caster is the line "Where's your units bro!"

LMAO! I don't hate the casters, but that was pretty bad :)

Ketch

Nice work EJ! The salty tears must taste so good =)

Hometown hero!

Everyone should spam the MLG chat to see the EG Oz match.

[xSPHx] xSpherexRKO: im reporting this right now
thats fucking crazy
You: A cannon rush is crazy?
lol
Last Message 5:24 PM
[xSPHx] xSpherexRKO: no
your map hack
is
i saw it
when you pulled workers
before i went
in
You: Please explain how I maphacked
?
watch the rep
[xSPHx] xSpherexRKO: i am
You: You know how good it feels to be told you maphack when you just beat someone
I really appreciate it
=D
Its like the nicest thing you could say to someone in terms of skill
Anyways gl in the loser bracket!
Last Message 5:28 PM
[xSPHx] xSpherexRKO: i got the proof now
uploading it
gg
You: Im sure you have proof
lol
[xSPHx] xSpherexRKO: yeah
well see who advanced
hacker
You: Right I sure am a hacker
with my ladder w/l
idiot
Last Message 5:32 PM

lol

game1: http://drop.sc/325935
game2: http://drop.sc/325934

Game 1 I hit an allin timing. Game 2 I cannon rush.

He mad (I only cannon rush PvP and PvT on daybreak because its broken as fuck on that map.)

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What an idiot. Just ignore.

[EG] EGOzRC: hi
You: Hi
im a huge fan
its an honor
[EG] EGOzRC: :)
hm
ok
me
veto first
You: Ok!
[EG] EGOzRC: star station