• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Ecto311

Ladder is locked as of yesterday. You don't have to be number 1 in your division to get promoted either.

your w/l is pretty much 50% right now. You need to try to get it to at least 60% winrate before you will start seeing plat players and eventually get promoted.
Also all that button does is reset your MMR and winloss.

In sc2 it says season lock is april 24.

My w/l rate was way less than 50% till recently. Then like 2 days ago I started only getting shit players (or I'm getting better and not playing drunk - not sure) and my rate is way better but I am only getting golds. By only golds I mean no bronze or plat or anything just golds. Before when the ladder would lock I thought it would be a mix but you didn't move.

I thought the ladder was locked but I remember also reading that it was locking on the 24th, or new season on that day?

Ketch

In sc2 it says season lock is april 24.

Oh I guess it might be, I got my info from this thread....
So I'm probably wrong =)

MMR has to normalize before you can get promoted, for a promotion you need to normalize within the mmr limits of a higher league than the one you're in, and it takes A LOT longer to normalize then you would think.... At least longer then I thought it would, and I guess it depends on how many games you play. If the season isn't already locked I think you should just like marathon as many games as you can and I bet you'll get promoted.

On a fluke I beat a masters (either he was sandbagging or someone had boosted his account or something), and then I had to loose like 9 out of my 11 games in a row before it stopped putting me up against people who were waaaay better then me.

Jaedong continues to look pretty good in ZvT, and of course he's dominating ZvZ in proleague. Still a bit iffy on his ZvP though but I'm sure he'll get better given the strong toss players on his team

Ketch

Man, all the koreans and becoming my favorites.... I want to cheer for america!

Do the EG koreans live in the US? Do any of the koreans in the NA WCS live in NA? That would make me feel better...

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Man, all the koreans and becoming my favorites.... I want to cheer for america!

Do the EG koreans live in the US? Do any of the koreans in the NA WCS live in NA? That would make me feel better...

Polt and Violet are your men! residents!

sixghost

Jaedong continues to look pretty good in ZvT, and of course he's dominating ZvZ in proleague. Still a bit iffy on his ZvP though but I'm sure he'll get better given the strong toss players on his team

That was how Jaedong was in BW before he became dominant. He lost a Bo5 to Rock.

Fucking Rock.

So now we're only watching games from old replays (as in the winner of this match has already got through the next round) and we're STILL getting huge breaks between games. MLG sure know how to run an exciting qualifier.

Edit: Holy fuck so now MLG is trying to hide the results of the matches to show over the next couple of days? Even saying there is 8 spots up for grabs when we know which 4 players went through yesterday. I'm not sure if i'm reading this right but if so this is a new low for MLG, just wow. This can't be right.

Ketch

So now we're only watching games from old replays (as in the winner of this match has already got through the next round) and we're STILL getting huge breaks between games. MLG sure know how to run an exciting qualifier.

Edit: Holy fuck so now MLG is trying to hide the results of the matches to show over the next couple of days? Even saying there is 8 spots up for grabs when we know which 4 players went through yesterday. I'm not sure if i'm reading this right but if so this is a new low for MLG, just wow. This can't be right.

Who's all qualified so far? Feel free to spoiler tag maybe.

Who's all qualified so far? Feel free to spoiler tag maybe.

I don't want to spoil anyone even though i didn't realise these were spoilers. 4 people qualified yesterday through the winners bracket and all of the losers bracket matches are already up to the last round (and currently underway from what i can tell).

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Its the MLG cycle

1. MLG does something stupid.
2. Fans/Players get upset.
3. Reddit/TL is full of hate.
4. MLG sends out a tweet thats somewhat vague.
5. X time later Sundance comes out and says they get it and fixes issue
6. Fans/Players fall back in love again.

Its the MLG cycle

1. MLG does something stupid.
2. Fans/Players get upset.
3. Reddit/TL is full of hate.
4. MLG sends out a tweet thats somewhat vague.
5. X time later Sundance comes out and says they get it and fixes issue
6. Fans/Players fall back in love again.

Not much to stop this as there is basically no competition. There is the NASL which is a joke of a tournament and there was the IPL which was FAR better than MLG but is no longer around. MLG do a poor job with basically everything they do but when there's no choice it's hard to go elsewhere.

Yea I saw the winners from yesterday, but wasn't aware that there was any other spots locked up from todays games.

Just a minute ago they said there were still 8 spots up for grabs (basically implying that no one has qualified yet).

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Googled but could not find if the ladder was locked. If it is not locked should this be happening?

I just got promoted to platinum minutes ago after an 11-1 win streak, so no its not locked. I was surprised too, since I literally only faced 1 plat player before advancing. I remember in WoL you basically had to prove a 50% win percentage over a few games against the higher league to advance. I did beat a 8-2 silver with a history of diamond during my win streak though, so maybe he bumped up my mmr enough that i didn't have to do that.

Funny thing is I'm ranked first in my new division when I'm pretty sure I'm not close to ranking up to diamond. That's probably proof enough that ladder points doesn't correlate to MMR very much.

EDIT: Oh and if you're wonder what i learned to finally bump myself up to platinum, its to stop playing terran and play zerg instead. I was playing a reactive + harrass style of terran anyway, and zerg with mutas is honestly way easier with that style. Zerg just has much much easier macro/micro.

Decided to finish off the campaign today. Had a lot of fun with it though I felt a lot of the missions, especially the last few, lacked the urgency of some of the WoL missions. I really dragged out the last mission. I spread creep into every corner and had about 20 spine crawlers encircling the final objective.
Jim's support squad would have taken it but I sent my army to attack the last sliver of the walls health.
It was kind of ridiculous but it looked cool. Really love these SC2 campaigns. I could just play campaign style mission packs. No need for all the story bits, just give me more mission objectives.

Ketch

Decided to finish off the campaign today. Had a lot of fun with it though I felt a lot of the missions, especially the last few, lacked the urgency of some of the WoL missions. I really dragged out the last mission. I spread creep into every corner and had about 20 spine crawlers encircling the final objective.
Jim's support squad would have taken it but I sent my army to attack the last sliver of the walls health.
It was kind of ridiculous but it looked cool. Really love these SC2 campaigns. I could just play campaign style mission packs. No need for all the story bits, just give me more mission objectives.

You can get all of Starcraft 1's campaign to play in starcraft 2 aswell. I lost the link but it should be easy to find with google.

You can get all of Starcraft 1's campaign to play in starcraft 2 aswell. I lost the link but it should be easy to find with google.

I downloaded the original campaign maps awhile ago but I don't think Brood Wars campaign was ready at that time. I'll do some searching.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
So all 4 qualifiers have leaked already, oh MLG lol.

All 8 people who qualified were Korean, USA USA!

That means they'll be 13 Koreans in the NA tournament including the invites, and because they're all perfectly evened out, we could very easily have all 13 in the round of 16.

Ketch

I downloaded the original campaign maps awhile ago but I don't think Brood Wars campaign was ready at that time. I'll do some searching.

If you find broodwar let me know.

Only played one ladder match tonight, another terran... He brought a lot of early hellion harass (2 groups of 6), but queens just destroy hellions. Queen is so underrated. I pushed out with 1/1 roach, he had like 5 marauders no upgrades and I just crushed him... looking back at the replay he didn't have any production going at all.

71% win rate vs terran. I think I owe a lot of that to practice matches with Zeke.... haven't faced anyone on ladder that gives me as hard a time as he does.

I need a Zerg practice partner.

I think I want to learn how to use infestors. I completely avoid them because I completely suck with them and always just end up getting them killed. Maybe after I get my ZvZ figured out I'll focus on getting good with infestors. Maybe my protoss friends can clue me in on some spell caster tips & tricks.

Concerning WCS results:
Such a shame considering it's the NA division and a lot of these guys aren't even playing from within the US much less residing here... Like I think it would be cool if those koreans who were winning lived here, like if they were going to college here or at least just had their team house here or something. At the very least they could have flown out for the games. Otherwise, I think it just doesn't make sense, if a player had a division in their region then they should play there, and only when they don't have a native division should they be allowed to choose whatever one they want

At least the EU side is a bit more balanced, with precisely four Koreans, of which three were invited in the first place.
Pity about NA actually being KR#2, but that was expected when the region lock rules (or lack thereof, to be precise) were revealed.
Certainly, MLG mishandled the qualifier badly, with an itinerary of administrative cock ups and a laundry list of players who have all right to be pissed off at them.

Corran Horn

Watching NASL commentary... there were hackers in the tournament?

There was a known one through the community. No actual evidence (kinda hard to have some unless he admits). MLG eventually DQ'ed him but that was after he took out a bunch of people like Catz

Watching NASL commentary... there were hackers in the tournament?

Eh, sort of. One guy with a known record of maphacking got to about round 4 before he got pulled over. It's the guy who was in Code S getting through half the day before people realised that he was still locked to Korea and the Chinese dude that got disqualified in the final round due to someone else giving up a spot for him, despite aforementioned dude being told by MLG admins that he got a spot (they lied). Those are the real howlers.

Ketch

There was a known one through the community. No actual evidence (kinda hard to have some unless he admits). MLG eventually DQ'ed him but that was after he took out a bunch of people like Catz

They can't tell from replays or some kind of anti cheat algorithm... blizzard doesn't have like a VAC equivalent?

Maybe it's just not a good idea to do online tournaments?

Corran Horn

They can't tell from replays or some kind of anti cheat algorithm... blizzard doesn't have like a VAC equivalent?

Maybe it's just not a good idea to do online tournaments?

Blizz has a system but its either really simple to get around or they do it in waves.

Won

I'm actually somewhat impressed. With the Comm DQ the NA qualifier somewhat turned out even worse than expected.

Corran Horn

I have a feeling people will be upset about WCS NA event cuz its gonna be the 2ndary event to LoL and just a typical MLG lan type event unlike how cool a dreamhack/nasl event could be.

Top Bottom