• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah but expecting to out-juke phoenixes is only going to work against bad players.

Maybe at some point, but I don't understand what the point would be of slow mutas, they might as well be dead mutas.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Do the other races have more units then zerg?

Only if you don't count Overlords.

Zerg
Drone
Zergling
Baneling
Roach
Queen
Mutalisk
Hydralisk
Infestor
Swarm Host
Corrupter
Ultralisk
Brood Lord
Viper
Overlord
Overseer

Terran
SCV
Marine
Maurader
Reaper
Ghost
Hellion
Widow Mine
Siege Tank
Hellbat
Viking
Medivac
Banshee
Raven
Battlecruiser

Protoss
Probe
Zealot
Stalker
Sentry
Dark Templar
High Templar
Observer
Immortal
Collossus
Oracle
Phoenix
Void Ray
Tempest
Carrier
Mothership Core
Mothership

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
on GD show they said there were some contract issues between JP and Artosis for SotG. Wonder if Artosis can keep up with a show on a weekly basis because his would win in regards of a host actually knowing anything about the game.

Yea, the question is whether Artosis can keep this up. If he was smart he'd have something in place for other hosts/guests to carry on without him if he can't attend a show, instead of going on random hiatuses.

JP...eh. Seems like he's branching out to other games which is good; he can be fun to watch, I'm just not a fan of him in SC2. You can tell his predominant focus is on drama, not the game. I still laugh at how upset he seemed to get whenever InControl, Tyler, and Artosis would go on long Brood War tangents.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Well well. Fuck.
First game vs human in ages (placement match number 1), fucked it up completly.
I was anxious, my hands are shaking badly still, fucked up my macro completly (partly due to my hands shaking, partly because i panicked), economy to total halt by my mistakes, not because my enemy got zerglings in my base, indeed i did more damage by halting my probes than what the zerglings did (which amounted to some shield damage). Forgot wall-in... Forgot scouting, not that it would've done much good without wall-in...

I gave up because i knew i couldn't play in such state. I could have recouped something i guess, if i were thinking calmly.

Why am i anxious? Because i fucking prepared too much. I should have just started vs humans and then started thinking more.
Now i need to calm down... which is something i've never been good at.
EDIT fuck adrenaline. Fuck anxiety.

I'm not worrying about the loss, it just a game (in both senses). I'm fucking worrying about me being fucking anxious. Heart racing, hands shaking. Can barely write.
And i can't make a breathing exercise to work to calm down (deep breaths, hold breath thing).

Duh, maybe i'll just start another match, hope concentrating on that is possible and calms me...
Damn. If I went back to the original SC2 OT, I'd find posts from me that's extremely similiar to the above posts. Just keep playing man, that's how I solved the stress-issue.

Deadman

Jp can just wait 2 weeks for artosis to give it up, like all his other shows. Still seems a pretty mean thing for him to do.

Striek

Artosis is such a dry, boring person when he doesn't have Tasteless backing him up. Yeah yeah, his game knowledge is good and Tasteless' is bad, but fuck his personal stream is boring and he can't host a show for shit. I'd rather have JP "knows almost nothing about Starcraft" McDaniels than Artosis as a host for SoTG/a SoTG surrogate.

jersoc

Well well. Fuck.
I was anxious, my hands are shaking badly still, fucked up my macro completly (partly due to my hands shaking, partly because i panicked), economy to total halt by my mistakes, not because my enemy got zerglings in my base, indeed i did more damage by halting my probes than what the zerglings did (which amounted to some shield damage). Forgot wall-in... Forgot scouting, not that it would've done much good without wall-in...

I gave up because i knew i couldn't play in such state. I could have recouped something i guess, if i were thinking calmly.

Why am i anxious? Because i fucking prepared too much. I should have just started vs humans and then started thinking more.

this use to be me so hard in WOL. I just kind of gave up.

But man I dunno. First game I played hots no nerves at all. Hopefully it does the same for you and just sort of vanishes. There's some games when close that afterwards I can feel my hands shaking and I take a short break.

I think when i started I was too worried about losing and consequently losing my rank. took me weeks to get out of bronze and I didn't want to go back down. But then I quickly climbed and stuck around top 10 silver for the few seasons before I quit. Now I just don't worry and that's mostly cause bronze shrunk so much. Also, I just kept saying no matter how good a player someone always loses and it doesn't mean much. hell, MKP makes good money losing and getting 2nd :p

good luck man. game is pretty enjoyable when you can just concentrate on the game and not calming yourself. just try to think of what you need to do next.

masterkajo

Well well. Fuck.

I had that at the beginning to some degree. Don't know why exactly. Anyhow, I got over it by playing some more games and by losing on purpose. What? Yes, I lost on purpose by not walling in and not building any army just workers. Lots of Command Centers and workers. This helps you see that losing is not a big deal and you train your macro in the mean time.

Next step is than to build my build order and army but just not care about fights at all. You go about your build and base management and just try to never be supply blocked and always build workers and army. You can then send your army to your opponents base or position them outside your base and not care about it anymore. You will lose games this way, sure. But you want to get used to losing and train your macro.

Then when you don't care that much about losing (and therefore have steady hands and be calm) you can also control your army. Attack or defend etc. Will all your macro training and positive thinking you can easily win games now. At least thats how I got from Silver to Platinum back at the beginning of WOL in a short time. Hope it helps. gl hf :)

Does GSL Round of 16 start tonight? I sure hope so

edit: Ugh, looks like next week.

They have to do the group selections for the RO16 which is always full of good fun as trash talk and rivalries heat up.

Also there is a lot of strategy involved in choosing your opponents depending on your seed. Taeja got 3rd seed, he will likely pick a Protoss or a Terran to be in his group.

Damn EscapingJail, I'm listening to Get Lucky all the time now >.<

Tell me about it man. I can't stop listening to it even when playing SC 2 lol.

Funny part is that the song played at the exact moment I found a hidden expo. So I did end up getting lucky hahaha.

Woorloog

Banned
Damn. If I went back to the original SC2 OT, I'd find posts from me that's extremely similiar to the above posts. Just keep playing man, that's how I solved the stress-issue.

this use to be me so hard in WOL. I just kind of gave up.

But man I dunno. First game I played hots no nerves at all. Hopefully it does the same for you and just sort of vanishes. There's some games when close that afterwards I can feel my hands shaking and I take a short break.

I think when i started I was too worried about losing and consequently losing my rank. took me weeks to get out of bronze and I didn't want to go back down. But then I quickly climbed and stuck around top 10 silver for the few seasons before I quit. Now I just don't worry and that's mostly cause bronze shrunk so much. Also, I just kept saying no matter how good a player someone always loses and it doesn't mean much. hell, MKP makes good money losing and getting 2nd :p

good luck man. game is pretty enjoyable when you can just concentrate on the game and not calming yourself. just try to think of what you need to do next.

I had that at the beginning to some degree. Don't know why exactly. Anyhow, I got over it by playing some more games and by losing on purpose. What? Yes, I lost on purpose by not walling in and not building any army just workers. Lots of Command Centers and workers. This helps you see that losing is not a big deal and you train your macro in the mean time.

Next step is than to build my build order and army but just not care about fights at all. You go about your build and base management and just try to never be supply blocked and always build workers and army. You can then send your army to your opponents base or position them outside your base and not care about it anymore. You will lose games this way, sure. But you want to get used to losing and train your macro.

Then when you don't care that much about losing (and therefore have steady hands and be calm) you can also control your army. Attack or defend etc. Will all your macro training and positive thinking you can easily win games now. At least thats how I got from Silver to Platinum back at the beginning of WOL in a short time. Hope it helps. gl hf :)

What i don't understand why i get (or got, haven't touched the game today yet) anxious when trying to play Starcraft 2, this doesn't apply to any other game i play, this didn't apply to Wings of Liberty a few years back.
It could be that i sort of psyched myself by preparing a few days but... well, there are things i prepare for but never get anxious (i can think of one time before when i got anxious about something, but that time i got angry right after and that washed out the anxiety. Much easier to calm from rage than from anxiety).
Anyway, it is very easy to get panicked and worried about something that doesn't usually happen to you.
I do hope playing more matches get rid of the feel if it comes back. Just gotta stop preparing to play, no warming-up either, just in case.

Winning nor losing doesn't bother me, rather irrelevant to me as long as i have fun. Of course i prefer to win (who doesn't) but i'm also aware of my abilities and shortcomings and know i'm going to lose, and i can accept it, for it is fully my fault then (unlike in some other games where i get so idiotic team mates and carry my team...).
As long as i can stay calm and concentrated, i can do just fine in most matches, i think. Won my second game yesterday because i did concentrate, towards the end of the match adrenaline started to make me hasty and jumpy but i won with material advantage (8 warpgates pumping out Stalkers vs enemy's 2 Stargates and 2 Warpgates, or so).

Wunder

What i don't understand why i get (or got, haven't touched the game today yet) anxious when trying to play Starcraft 2, this doesn't apply to any other game i play, this didn't apply to Wings of Liberty a few years back.
It could be that i sort of psyched myself by preparing a few days but... well, there are things i prepare for but never get anxious (i can think of one time before when i got anxious about something, but that time i got angry right after and that washed out the anxiety. Much easier to calm from rage than from anxiety).
Anyway, it is very easy to get panicked and worried about something that doesn't usually happen to you.
I do hope playing more matches get rid of the feel if it comes back. Just gotta stop preparing to play, no warming-up either, just in case.

Winning nor losing doesn't bother me, rather irrelevant to me as long as i have fun. Of course i prefer to win (who doesn't) but i'm also aware of my abilities and shortcomings and know i'm going to lose, and i can accept it, for it is fully my fault then (unlike in some other games where i get so idiotic team mates and carry my team...).
As long as i can stay calm and concentrated, i can do just fine in most matches, i think. Won my second game yesterday because i did concentrate, towards the end of the match adrenaline started to make me hasty and jumpy but i won with material advantage (8 warpgates pumping out Stalkers vs enemy's 2 Stargates and 2 Warpgates, or so).

I got the same way as you did, like many others, and I would attribute it in my case to a combination of fear of losing as well as the shame of playing badly. This was largely exacerbated when I played TvTs, because that match-up is extremely positional. Whenever I would get contained or sieged early in the game, I would almost lose 100% even though we had an even unit count or I was even slightly ahead. My hands would start shaking and I couldn't produce any units at all, and every tank volley that hit my units would cause me to frantically overreact and panic.

It was bad, and caused me to really hate that match-up, but I think as time went on it got better. Now in HOTS where I went into the beta and launch with the mindset that I was only out to improve, wins don't matter that much to me. If I lose, I can easily hit the play again button and queue up for the next match.

I like the sound of that shoutcraft tournament that has been announced and it seems like a pretty shrewd move after how the WCS qualifiers turned out.

Very disappointed in how GSL code A will be run. Only broadcasting a 1/3 of the first round and 1/2 of the 2nd round just sucks really. So now with the WCS it seems like we'll get less tournaments and less of that content will be broadcast as well. Not to mention a lot of the big names will be gone competing in WCS EU and NA.

Woorloog

Banned
Too much adrenaline. No anxiety anymore, but goddamn adrenaline messes me up. Need to stay calm.
Adrenaline works just fine when playing an FPS, when i can do things directly, just react to things, no planning, just moment-by-moment existence and fighting. But when playing a strategy game? Nope.

Also need a plan that is more than "just a shit load of production". More like "shit load of air production". Or "shit load of ground unit production with air cover".

Woorloog

Banned
Okay, issues i have:
-I don't keep up pressure. I let my enemy to turtle and tech while not doing those myself...
-I don't tech enough. Namely, i don't move to more advanced units...
-I don't scout properly, i'm not prepared for attacks. Need to be prepared for drops and harassing, and aerial attacks.
-I don't stay calm. I start making mistakes.
-I take too much time doing basic things, or i do them too early.

And the lesser extent:
-I need to be more aware of supply cap, but neither should i just build a lot of pylons at once, right?

What i do somewhat right:
-I keep up peon production, and try to avoid storing excess resources. Too many minerals? More Warpgates. And more Zealots/Stalkers if nothing else.

Also need to learn maps but that isn't nearly as important as getting basics right. I think.

Oh and... fuck mirror matches. The three previous matches i've played have all been mirrors (pvp, tvt, pvp...)

Striek

Very disappointed in how GSL code A will be run. Only broadcasting a 1/3 of the first round and 1/2 of the 2nd round just sucks really. So now with the WCS it seems like we'll get less tournaments and less of that content will be broadcast as well. Not to mention a lot of the big names will be gone competing in WCS EU and NA.

WCS fucking up the (previous?) best SC2 tournament in the world. Less prize money, less skillful participants, less games broadcasted. GG Blizzard.

Mairu

WCS fucking up the (previous?) best SC2 tournament in the world. Less prize money, less skillful participants, less games broadcasted. GG Blizzard.

I assume (hope) Code A broadcasts will only be cut for this first season due to having to change the structure quickly so that everything is done before the big season finals. Sucks but that's what happens when you rush this whole new tournament format :/

WCS already fucked up GSL by removing MC & Mvp from it though :[

MrKnives

Artosis is such a dry, boring person when he doesn't have Tasteless backing him up. Yeah yeah, his game knowledge is good and Tasteless' is bad, but fuck his personal stream is boring and he can't host a show for shit. I'd rather have JP "knows almost nothing about Starcraft" McDaniels than Artosis as a host for SoTG/a SoTG surrogate.

People hate on JP but he is a decent host and I agree on Artosis being very dry without someone like iNcontroL or Tasteless backing him up.
On the GD show today. They said "sources" say Artosis and JP had a falling out over contract issues with State of the Game so I think SotG is pretty much dead.

Source. Reddit post with the proper link to GD Show twitch and times

Woorloog

Banned
Last placement:
Enemy rushes two proxy gateways and has 4 zealots by the time i have one (and by the time i get my second one, he has 2 more running to my base).
GG
At least it was a short match.

Ended up in Bronze. (4 losses, 1 victory)
Not surprised. I'm messing up way too much.
Ah, well, at least now i have time to get better.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Last placement:
Enemy rushes two proxy gateways and has 4 zealots by the time i have one (and by the time i get my second one, he has 2 more running to my base).
GG
At least it was a short match.

Ended up in Bronze. (4 losses, 1 victory)
Not surprised. I'm messing up way too much.
Ah, well, at least now i have time to get better.

When are you scouting ?

Woorloog

Banned
When are you scouting ?

Too late if at all :/
In the last placement match, i scouted at 9/10 after setting down pylon (i reckon that's the standard first scout for Protoss, no?), went enemy base, didn't see anything, assumed my enemy wasn't good... The thing is, his proxy pylons and gateways were on the other route to my base... and my scout returned the way he went. (Neo Planet was the map) EDIT i doubt i could have saved myself even if i had seen the gateways, i had only one Gateway coming by this point.
Personally I don't scout anymore. It's more fun that way for me.

What league you're in?

f0rk

In the last placement match, i scouted at 9/10 after setting down pylon (i reckon that's the standard first scout for Protoss, no?), went enemy base, didn't see anything, assumed my enemy wasn't good... The thing is, his proxy pylons and gateways were on the other route to my base... and my scout returned the way he went. (Neo Planet was the map)

What league you're in?

Yeah against T/P you know they should have started a barracks/forge/gateway/expansion when you scout at that time so if you see absolutely nothing you know they are proxying. Against P you can count Pylons as well but I wouldn't worry about that yet.

There is a range from about gold - low diamond where I think scouting is less important because you can expect your opponent to do something standard that your own standard build can deal with.

Woorloog

Banned
Yeah against T/P you know they should have started a barracks/forge/gateway/expansion when you scout at that time so if you see absolutely nothing you know they are proxying. Against P you can count Pylons as well but I wouldn't worry about that yet.

There is a range from about gold - low diamond where I think scouting is less important because you can expect your opponent to do something standard that your own standard build can deal with.

I see. I'll remember this in next match.

Huh. Odd... metagame... Can't one break that easily by doing something unconventional?

f0rk

I see. I'll remember this in next match.

Huh. Odd... metagame... Can't one break that easily by doing something unconventional?

The standard strategies are standard because they are good. If you proxy all in every game you aren't going to get much better and your loses will be dependant on what your opponent does (how greedy/safe they are) which is just frustrating. Past that there isn't much unconventional stuff you can really do that is so surprising the other guy will just fold to it.

Also you are more likely to find out someone is bad by what they do build when they shouldn't, if that makes sense. Like Engi Bay first or something.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
In the last placement match, i scouted at 9/10 after setting down pylon (i reckon that's the standard first scout for Protoss, no?), went enemy base, didn't see anything, assumed my enemy wasn't good... The thing is, his proxy pylons and gateways were on the other route to my base... and my scout returned the way he went. (Neo Planet was the map) EDIT i doubt i could have saved myself even if i had seen the gateways, i had only one Gateway coming by this point.

What league you're in?

Scout after you make your gateway, then scout the outskirts of your base. You can then send your probe to his base. If you see nothing either drop another gateway immediately or drop a forge and chrono out zealots, make a cannon.

It's bronze but people know to make buildings at relatively appropriate times. Never assume someone is just bad... even if they are, don't take the chance and defend the possible cheese due to the awkward opening.

Woorloog

Banned
It's bronze but people know to make buildings at relatively appropriate times. Never assume someone is just bad... even if they are, don't take the chance and defend the possible cheese due to the awkward opening.

Yeah. Learned this well today.

Also you are more likely to find out someone is bad by what they do build when they shouldn't, if that makes sense. Like Engi Bay first or something.

I almost did this mistake in one match i played as Terran, i almost ordered an SCV to build Engi but checked myself as i realized: I'm not Protoss, Engi doesn't unlock cannon, and i don't have gas yet...

Aylinato

What league you're in?

Plat 1v1 and masters team games(though ATM it doesn't seem to want to promote me)

HappyHunting

Neo Member
The standard strategies are standard because they are good. If you proxy all in every game you aren't going to get much better and your loses will be dependant on what your opponent does (how greedy/safe they are) which is just frustrating. Past that there isn't much unconventional stuff you can really do that is so surprising the other guy will just fold to it.

This.

Just to add a little more to the explanation. When you scout an un-orthodox build you will react a certain way. Un-orthodox in most cases means sub-optimal so if you react properly you will more than be able to handle the problem.

Woorloog

Banned
This.

Just to add a little more to the explanation. When you scout an un-orthodox build you will react a certain way. Un-orthodox in most cases means sub-optimal so if you react properly you will more than be able to handle the problem.

I see, i see.

---

First game in bronze, and i won it handily. My enemy build another Nexus before gateways or cannons... which meant that by the time he was producing zealots (it was a fucking mirror match again), i already had some and more on the way. He also made mistake by setting up too many cannons supported by only one pylon.
During my attack, his solution to offline cannnons was to build more pylons, which i could destroy about as fast as he set them up. Protoss bases are very vulnerable without proper placement.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I see, i see.

---

First game in bronze, and i won it handily. My enemy build another Nexus before gateways or cannons... which meant that by the time he was producing zealots (it was a fucking mirror match again), i already had some and more on the way. He also made mistake by setting up too many cannons supported by only one pylon.
During my attack, his solution to offline cannnons was to build more pylons, which i could destroy about as fast as he set them up. Protoss bases are very vulnerable without proper placement.

Tip: You can also get a warp prism and warp in their base. They probably don't have good pylon support there and you can pretty much render his production moot.

mbmonk

Okay, issues i have:
-I don't keep up pressure. I let my enemy to turtle and tech while not doing those myself...
-I don't tech enough. Namely, i don't move to more advanced units...
-I don't scout properly, i'm not prepared for attacks. Need to be prepared for drops and harassing, and aerial attacks.
-I don't stay calm. I start making mistakes.
-I take too much time doing basic things, or i do them too early.

I have to make this brief so excuse that fact.

It's great to make a list of things you need to improve on. I would suggest you only work on improving 1 thing/item at a time. Don't try to solve all those problems in the next game. Pick one thing that is important, focus on that, and if you accomplished your goal in that game CELEBRATE THAT! The goal is to improve and that is what you did if you reached your goal for that game. The win or loss is irrelevant.

Example: I played Ketch and he pounded my face in the dirt. After the game I was dancing in my chair because was never supply blocked at any point in that game. That was the problem I was trying to fix.

Game Nerves:
This is a personal issue, but here is what I find that helps me.
1) Keeping my mind focused on the game during the loading screen helps with my nerves. The game starts at the loading screen.
- I see the opponents race. What unit do I like to use in that matchup?
- I see the map. How is that going to affect my plan. Do I know his starting position ( 1v1 maps ) or is it a larger map with more than 2 spawns? etc.
- A small trick that EscapingJail showed me is when the loading bar gets near 100%, hold down the key that produces a worker ( "e" for probe if your a Protoss ) and I try click on my Nexus as soon as it appears on the screen. This produces my worker as fast a possible. *Plus* it helps focus my mind on a task that needs to be done and thus allows less time for me to think about nerves. etc.

2) Playing more games will reduce the anxiety level. Coming out for GAF night, if possible, is a great way to get some stress free games in. Also if you would like you could add myself ( I am on the East Coast of the US) or Ketch as friends in SC2 and we could just play some games.

3) Remember the other player is nervous as well.

Hope that helps. Regardless just stick with it. Best of luck.

Woorloog

Banned
/\
Calming down as i play more. Now only adrenaline is an issue.
Thanks for tips.

Tip: You can also get a warp prism and warp in their base. They probably don't have good pylon support there and you can pretty much render his production moot.

Wasn't needed. The game didn't go beyond Zealots :p
I do like warpgates+warp prism combo, gotta remember to tech to it.
OTOH, air is also fun. And i don't like Protoss Robo so much, colossi are boring. Miss reavers and dragoons :(

Second game: My enemy had 3 bases and much larger army than me. I won anyway. EDIT this one was mirror match again. PvP. Getting sick of this.
If he had attacked, he would have won.
I attacked, head-on...I didn't even micro my units outside one or two guardian shields and activing Voids anti-armor ability. I guess too many of his units were behind, out of range (they were clumped). Also, constant reinforcements from my base (zealots mostly, fast, cheap) helped. After smashing his army, he surrendered.

What i learned from this (i think): Too much caution is bad.

Woorloog

Banned
Scouting scouting... i need to be prepapared.
Stalkers are bad vs bioball.
My enemy probably won the game when he made two pronged attack though, drop to my main base, hellions to expansion. Did heavy damage to my economy, replacing probes ate my minerals so army building was late... It was beatifully executed attack, i sent my forces to counter the drop and that was when hellions attacked my natural.
Need more zealots in pvt.

EDIT another victory, and final game for today.
PVP yet again.
I reckon my enemy lost due to losing his nerves, he could have beaten me by being slightly more aggressive. He stopped his attack too early, allowing me to counter attack. Hell, he could have beaten my counter attack if he had been a bit more aggressive but no, he surrendered.

Mumei

I played another game against the computer (on Harder this time). He attacked me around 9:20 with a group of Marines and Marauders. I fended it off (oh my god ling AI is so much better than in Brood War); my lings surrounded and killed his Marines and the Marauders retreated while taking some potshots.

In game I was thinking, "Well, that was dumb. Couldn't he have killed me?" I also thought, "I am a moron. I had a ling on every Xel'Naga tower, but didn't think to leave a warning ling outside his base to see when he moved out." But then I watched the replay and I saw that going into the attack, I was down 22 - 21 in army supply; by the end of the battle I was up 32 - 12, and with production up by then I didn't have much to worry about. I always seem to overestimate the size of the threat being presented when I am attacked.

One day I will play a person <_<

Aylinato

Finals...taking time away from achievements and trolling.

Troll skills are such a dedicated sport. I wish blizzard had achievements for trolling. Scogoth, splinter, cadreyn, Nate, Rick, narc, and me would be grandmasters of the trolls.

Top Bottom