• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

J2d

Well I just right clicked half of the members and none of them is in my realm so I guess your question could have been answered with a maybe. Is it worth the lag to switch NA, traitors?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
GL with the tickets :D!

edit: when is the next ladder season due?

Also, can you still get placed in a division (play your placement match) when ladder is locked?

Son1x

Well I just right clicked half of the members and none of them is in my realm so I guess your question could have been answered with a maybe. Is it worth the lag to switch NA, traitors?

I think thats just a bug. It happens with all groups, everyone that I don't have added as friends supposedly doesn't have a profile on the same realm.

Woorloog

Banned
o god...the Protoss campaign is going to focus on Zeratul. O man it's going to be so boring.

Zeratul? Yeah.
Other Protoss? Much cooler. Hopefully. I really hope we will see Urun, Mohandar, Artanis, Selendis and hopefully others, and get to control those hero units as well (they were kinda silly in WoL since they were pointless in that one mission).

Still... i miss the awesomeness that was original Starcraft Protoss: Better heros and characters, better voices, cooler units.
Fenix, Tassadar, and OG Zeratul (the character is butchered for SC2, and voice actor, while not bad, doesn't suit him at all. Too bad the original voice actor died, RIP :/)

EDIT oh and i don't like SC2 story direction. Not going to be very cool or interesting. Entertaining, sure, WoL and HotS are. But so cliches...
And i don't like Blizzard (Metzen?) suggested that LotV is going to be like "300", desperate last stand....

EDIT the mechanics suggested for campaign, diplomacy and locking/unlocking of certain units by making certain choices do sound very cool

Aylinato

Zeratul? Yeah.
Other Protoss? Much cooler. Hopefully. I really hope we will see Urun, Mohandar, Artanis, Selendis and hopefully others, and get to control those hero units as well (they were kinda silly in WoL since they were pointless in that one mission).

Still... i miss the awesomeness that was original Starcraft Protoss: Better heros and characters, better voices, cooler units.
Fenix, Tassadar, and OG Zeratul (the character is butchered for SC2, and voice actor, while not bad, doesn't suit him at all. Too bad the original voice actor died, RIP :/)

EDIT oh and i don't like SC2 story direction. Not going to be very cool or interesting. Entertaining, sure, WoL and HotS are. But so cliches...
And i don't like Blizzard (Metzen?) suggested that LotV is going to be like "300", desperate last stand....

EDIT the mechanics suggested for campaign, diplomacy and locking/unlocking of certain units by making certain choices do sound very cool

I agree. With all of it.

Artanis needs to be..well..not sure of himself as the reason he was sure of himself was because he was following Tassadar, who then sacrificed himself. That should have wrecked Artanis as a upcoming leader into doubting who he is, and what he needs to be in order for the protoss to unite.

Unfortunately with Metzen we are going to get some form of what he would want himself to do as Zeratul. Apparently the raynor/kerrigan love story is actually his idea of a homage to a love interest he once had long ago and that's how he thinks his love actually left him(if it were a sci-fi show obviously).

Woorloog

Banned
I agree. With all of it.

Artanis needs to be..well..not sure of himself as the reason he was sure of himself was because he was following Tassadar, who then sacrificed himself. That should have wrecked Artanis as a upcoming leader into doubting who he is, and what he needs to be in order for the protoss to unite.
Eh? He didn't have any doubts in Brood War. You mean Zeratul?
Don't think Protoss doubt, or should themselves due to sacrifice, they're very big on it: "My life for Aiur".
Unfortunately with Metzen we are going to get some form of what he would want himself to do as Zeratul. Apparently the raynor/kerrigan love story is actually his idea of a homage to a love interest he once had long ago and that's how he thinks his love actually left him(if it were a sci-fi show obviously).
Wait. Raynor is partial author avatar?

Aylinato

Eh? He didn't have any doubts in Brood War. You mean Zeratul?
Don't think Protoss doubt, or should themselves due to sacrifice, they're very big on it: "My life for Aiur".

Wait. Raynor is partial author avatar?

As a leader I think young(by protoss standards) doubted his decision making but followed Tassadar.

Yes, Raynor in the new SC2, and Kerrigan are playing out a love-story that Metzen had in real life with some chick he used to date.

Aylinato

Where, when? Not in Brood War surely?
Need to replay it i think...

Boo this!

Artanis only slightly did, I always thought that was part of his character being a younger leader who wasn't quite sure of himself but getting mentored by Fenix/Tassadar into becoming a better leader. I

Ketch

Ditto though I did play a bit earlier lol.

BTW Zerg players might not want to watch this replay. Its kinda sicking how bad the Zerg engaged me with sieged up tanks.

Death to the Swarm!

I should have watched your replay! I got destroyed by a meching terran tonight... I never loose to terran!

He went hellion, into mine/siegetank/hellbat/thor...

I tried my standard roach 1/1 push, didn't work, and then I went muta/roach/ling harassed his 3rd a bunch but just couldn't get past the damn siege tank and didn't tech up fast enough... I guess broodlord would have been the path to take, but I didn't get there fast enough... I was trying to trade units, but didn't have the econ to support it.

Also, at one point I spawned 5 vipers for no reason and was like

31612783.jpg

(They don't spawn with any energy? WTF?)

I went on to win a grulling ZvZ which felt pretty good.... 30 minutes of speedlings and mutas will wear you out though.

f0rk

I should have watched your replay! I got destroyed by a meching terran tonight... I never loose to terran!

He went hellion, into mine/siegetank/hellbat/thor...

I tried my standard roach 1/1 push, didn't work, and then I went muta/roach/ling harassed his 3rd a bunch but just couldn't get past the damn siege tank and didn't tech up fast enough... I guess broodlord would have been the path to take, but I didn't get there fast enough... I was trying to trade units, but didn't have the econ to support it.

Also, at one point I spawned 5 vipers for no reason and was like

31612783.jpg

(They don't spawn with any energy? WTF?)

I went on to win a grulling ZvZ which felt pretty good.... 30 minutes of speedlings and mutas will wear you out though.
Against mech try feeding there tanks swarm host and starve them out on 3 bases, while teching to ultralisk or whatever.

With Vipers build some spare evo chambers and they can suck energy from them with the first ability

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
What's the best way to deal with Reaper harassment? Played a Plat terran yesterday. We both went Reaper first. However, his reaper caught my base with only one marine so he was able to kill the working SCV's on my Expo (building in my natural) and on 2 Barracks that were making. He went up to 2 reapers and completely picked me apart. Any marine that was made was killed right away and he was just kiting my SCV's easily. I had to GG. It sucked. Obviously I can look at my replay and see where I fucked up (should have put workers back to finish those 2 barracks, I should have built a tech lab to get a Marauder out). Any general tips on dealing with that shit?

Aylinato

What's the best way to deal with Reaper harassment? Played a Plat terran yesterday. We both went Reaper first. However, his reaper caught my base with only one marine so he was able to kill the working SCV's on my Expo (building in my natural) and on 2 Barracks that were making. He went up to 2 reapers and completely picked me apart. Any marine that was made was killed right away and he was just kiting my SCV's easily. I had to GG. It sucked. Obviously I can look at my replay and see where I fucked up (should have put workers back to finish those 2 barracks, I should have built a tech lab to get a Marauder out). Any general tips on dealing with that shit?

Build marauder dude. Or widow mines. I always do tech lab first because I always get stim. Marauder is best for killing repear( especially when u get the slow thing)

Wunder

Reaper openings are quite scary for Terran, especially since you can't tell 100% what opening it is. If it is an 8/8/8/x variant cheese, where they proxy the rax or just have it in their base, it can be quite dangerous if you lose your first marine. If it's simply a reaper expand/pressure, as long as you keep pumping out marines you should be ok. On some maps it is quite hard to defend, like Star Station or Korhal, because reapers can jump in anywhere. Other maps like Bel'Shir Vestige or Daybreak are a little bit easier.

The main thing is you don't want to lose your first marine, and try to position him in a good position (at an edge or near your mineral line). Feel free to pull two or three scvs with your defense, especially if you open 1rax FE or something. If you go 2rax or 1rax fact you should be able to hold almost any reaper openings with your marines. You have to identify what reaper opening it is though, and you can't get add-ons/halt marine production if it is a heavy pressure reaper build.

Aylinato

So did a 3v3 with narc, and Nate. I went mass marines into widow mines.

Their team went early lings, marines, into mutas. My early two widow mines killed roughly half their marine early push, and then I killed them with my stim upgraded marines. I the. Went mass widow mines and put them around the map and transitioned into Thor/hellon(as they still were going marine/long/muta)

They had some ravens and some tanks but we steamrolled that.

The muta guy lost roughly 3/4 of his mutas because he kept trying to attack my widow mines(got the upgrade to burrow them faster). So lol.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I played another game against the computer (on Harder this time). He attacked me around 9:20 with a group of Marines and Marauders. I fended it off (oh my god ling AI is so much better than in Brood War); my lings surrounded and killed his Marines and the Marauders retreated while taking some potshots.

In game I was thinking, "Well, that was dumb. Couldn't he have killed me?" I also thought, "I am a moron. I had a ling on every Xel'Naga tower, but didn't think to leave a warning ling outside his base to see when he moved out." But then I watched the replay and I saw that going into the attack, I was down 22 - 21 in army supply; by the end of the battle I was up 32 - 12, and with production up by then I didn't have much to worry about. I always seem to overestimate the size of the threat being presented when I am attacked.

One day I will play a person <_<

also, check to see if you were constantly making workers up to about ~70 of them.

that's probably the number 1 most important thing you could practice before laddering.

Ketch

You guys think that since the season is locked theirs gonna be a lot more people on smurf accounts to pick on newbies?

Tashi

Build marauder dude. Or widow mines. I always do tech lab first because I always get stim. Marauder is best for killing repear( especially when u get the slow thing)

Yea, I know that's where I fucked up.

Reaper openings are quite scary for Terran, especially since you can't tell 100% what opening it is. If it is an 8/8/8/x variant cheese, where they proxy the rax or just have it in their base, it can be quite dangerous if you lose your first marine. If it's simply a reaper expand/pressure, as long as you keep pumping out marines you should be ok. On some maps it is quite hard to defend, like Star Station or Korhal, because reapers can jump in anywhere. Other maps like Bel'Shir Vestige or Daybreak are a little bit easier.

The main thing is you don't want to lose your first marine, and try to position him in a good position (at an edge or near your mineral line). Feel free to pull two or three scvs with your defense, especially if you open 1rax FE or something. If you go 2rax or 1rax fact you should be able to hold almost any reaper openings with your marines. You have to identify what reaper opening it is though, and you can't get add-ons/halt marine production if it is a heavy pressure reaper build.

Well I had done my own reaper scouting and his build was identical to my own. (Except my reaper came out a little sooner than his) 1 RAX FE into 2 more RAX. He just wanted to see what he could do with 2 reapers and it turned out he won the game with them.

Aylinato

Yea, I know that's where I fucked up.

Well I had done my own reaper scouting and his build was identical to my own. (Except my reaper came out a little sooner than his) 1 RAX FE into 2 more RAX. He just wanted to see what he could do with 2 reapers and it turned out he won the game with them.

No worries, I've lost a lot of workers to repears but lately I have lost 0. Here's a tip that I have learned on my own. Take the workers on that side where the repear came in(if you have a counter on its way) and click them to the far mineral patch. Unless the dude has clicked on one worker it will mess with the repears AI(attack the closest) and will save ur workers

Deadman

2v2. Double 6 pooled by a zz team. My friend loses all his workers, i end up with about 8. End up winning on 4 bases roach/hydra/corruptor. Felt good.

Wedge7

http://vimeo.com/64767249

Sick upcoming documentary, seems primarily based around JD and a few other amateur players trying to make it into BW. Nice thing about this documentary is that its actually completed and should be out sometime in May, unlike the million other documentaries that seem to be in limbo or taking forever (Sons of Starcraft, etc)

Love the production values and just how high quality everything looks. Looks incredible.

TL thread

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=409535

f0rk

Total Biscuit is slaying the Blizzard community manager on State of the Game. He asked about DOTA2 type features and the dude bought up fucking All Stars lol
And the esports team is 4 people

Tashi

Total Biscuit is slaying the Blizzard community manager on State of the Game. He asked about DOTA2 type features and the dude bought up fucking All Stars lol
And the esports team is 4 people

Fuck I missed it. I'll have to check the replay later.

Finished with all my exams. :D

Now its SC2 and PS3 games all Summer along with some occasional work. Until I have to go visit my relatives out of country.

cdkee

Banned
I played longer than I usually do today. Won 6 out of 7 games, still in Silver though :(

The game I lost was to a a plat guy, I just KNOW that if I had beat him I would've gotten promoted. ACK, I only lost due to me not paying attention while I was going to attack. :(

Top Bottom