• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Protoss has always gotten under people's skin. Sometimes people just see this gigantic army a-moving over all their stuff with zero micro and lose their shit. They don't realize they lost the game 10 minutes ago when the Protoss out played them and took bases quicker than they should have, for example. A-moving is just P's reward for a game well played.

Meanwhile it seems that Bio Terrans always get under Protoss skins. 3 years later and they're still upset that the supposed terran tier one units kill their tier one units so hard, not really realizing that a group of marine/marauder with concussive, stim, combat shields, and medivacs is far more up the tech tree than a group of marine/marauder with none of that. Of course you should have to go up to some area of effect tech if you want to keep up in tech.

But instead of that, they just pop off against any upgraded medivac bio push that happens to hit them before colossus or storm gets out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gif is classic and awesome :3!

StayDead

I had a 2 week break before the end of last season to focus on other games/uni work and by god people have got better at mech vs mech TvT while I've been away. Either that or I've gotten worse. Probably the second one.

f0rk

Such inconsequential changes, makes me wonder why they even bother. Feels like they are just doing to because they can

f0rk

It won't Spore Crawlers already shut down small amounts of mutas it won't make a difference. You use them initially to shut down 3rds before spore crawlers can even be there. Plus it's not just mutas, you dump all the spare minerals into lings and if they go Hydra you can get Banelings.

Aylinato

It won't Spore Crawlers already shut down small amounts of mutas it won't make a difference. You use them initially to shut down 3rds before spore crawlers can even be there. Plus it's not just mutas, you dump all the spare minerals into lings and if they go Hydra you can get Banelings.

But then I go ultra and fuck ur shit up.

Eh, I wouldn't say it's rare. One reason I've stopped replying to "glhf" at the beginning of a ranked match is because the nature of that phrase flies out the window as soon as the other player gets crazy.

What f0rk said is true, though: players tend to pop off right before they leave.

I wouldn't say a no gg and a "Your race is broken." Is someone going crazy, lol.

I gg like 99% of games, and when I don't it's because I simply forgot. I'd say about 80% of my games end with a gg or just them saying nothing.

FluxWaveZ

I wouldn't say a no gg and a "Your race is broken." Is someone going crazy, lol.

I gg like 99% of games, and when I don't it's because I simply forgot. I'd say about 80% of my games end with a gg or just them saying nothing.

Yeah, I guess some bm are worst than others but they all annoy me.

I always "gg" whatever happens but I never "glhf" in ranked games anymore.

I always GL HF in my games. I also say GG WP most of the time except once or twice where I only say GG.

Watch my replays, they tell no lies. :)

Ketch

I've set up my programmable key board to spew obscenities with the simple push of one key...

and that key is the drone key.

SamuraiX-

I like the minute updates with spore crawlers and burrowing, but I'm not at all digging buffing up the movement speed of Oracles. Blizzard's justifications for the changes makes me even more concerned because of how much sense none of it makes.

They should lower the time it takes to build Static Defense by 5 or 10 seconds.

If the Oracle thing goes through then its going to be standard to go Ebay opening with 1 turret or a 1 rax + WM expand to be safe.

Striek

Blizzard underestimates how far behind or vulnerable to other all-ins blindly building turrets can make you, and now you'll need them even faster which means you'll be sacrificing more economy/production/units. Its already really hard to split marines up enough to defend mineral lines/tech, and Blizzard actually wants to make it easy for protoss to kill a few marines and get out of dodge before losing the oracle. I really think their sense of actual in-game timings are way off on this one. They're making the oracle a better gimmick unit, not making it more useful all game. Its already really easy for an oracle to reveal an army and escape if the protoss wants to. It'll still be impossible for the oracle to do damage past the midgame. All this does is make it better at dealing damage early.

If they want terran to go one-base starport every game they should just say so.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
System works.

uerFs.gif

sixghost

The idea is that you'll be able to take a 3rd before the mutas are out. I could see people going 1/1 lings to take map control while the other guy switches to mutas, shuts down mutazerg's pre-muta 3rd while taking a 3rd himself. Even 1 or 2 spores with a queen near by will probably be able to defend against 8+ mutas now.

I'll definitely give that style a shot. Hydra/roach/bane/infestor could be neat.

Blizzard underestimates how far behind or vulnerable to other all-ins blindly building turrets can make you, and now you'll need them even faster which means you'll be sacrificing more economy/production/units. Its already really hard to split marines up enough to defend mineral lines/tech, and Blizzard actually wants to make it easy for protoss to kill a few marines and get out of dodge before losing the oracle. I really think their sense of actual in-game timings are way off on this one. They're making the oracle a better gimmick unit, not making it more useful all game. Its already really easy for an oracle to reveal an army and escape if the protoss wants to. It'll still be impossible for the oracle to do damage past the midgame. All this does is make it better at dealing damage early.

If they want terran to go one-base starport every game they should just say so.

These balance changes range from nonsenical (oracle and spores) to just plain weird (burrow half price). These are exactly the kinds of changes i hate them making.

Meanwhile boring and useless units like the corrupter remain untouched despite pretty much everyone hating it.

FluxWaveZ

25 games 10 wins, does anyone else find that ladder is absurdly harder at the beginning of the season?

Balance is temporarily out of whack, so I guess it depends. When I was placed in diamond, I had a large win streak that ended up getting me promoted back to master league pretty quickly.

Ketch

Here is a 56 minute ZvT that I lost on Neoplanet S... I feel like it was a total macro vs micro game. I had 7 bases at one point, one was good vs his 3, and I just couldn't put it away. I think it was mostly due to poor unit composition and lots of A-moving.

Can someone check this out and let me know what you think of my decision making was in regards to unit composition and positioning and stuff?

http://drop.sc/330147

Also got promoted back into Gold. So at least I know I belong in gold.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Today I dreamt of spore crawlers one-shotting mutas... I wake up, read the patch notes and my jaw drops. +30? Woooooow.

profit

Finally had some time to play SC2 yesterday, clicked that find game button, no fear I just want to play the gaaaaame!

SamuraiX-

Here is a 56 minute ZvT that I lost on Neoplanet S... I feel like it was a total macro vs micro game. I had 7 bases at one point, one was good vs his 3, and I just couldn't put it away. I think it was mostly due to poor unit composition and lots of A-moving.

Can someone check this out and let me know what you think of my decision making was in regards to unit composition and positioning and stuff?

http://drop.sc/330147

Also got promoted back into Gold. So at least I know I belong in gold.

Here's just a list of recommendations from a former Zerg player:
  • You waited way too long to get Centrifugal Hooks. Unless you're doing some very early Ling/Bane bust, you always want that speed whenever Banelings are a key part of your army.
  • Try to practice spreading creep. You don't have to take over the map or anything crazy, but connecting all of your expansions through creep is an absolute must if you want to defend your bases as a macro-oriented Zerg.
  • I would cut the Roaches out of your early Ling/Bane/Roach/Infestor composition. You'll never have enough gas on three bases to properly balance Baneling, Roach, and Infestor production to use them to their full effectiveness.
  • I like the Ultralisk tech choice, but if I noticed he was turtling and blocking off his natural to that extreme I would've maybe tried breaking up half of your army and Nydus Worming his main while hitting his 3rd/4th with the other half.
  • I don't understand the choice to research +1/+2/+3 Missile Attacks when you were going for Ultra/Ling late game. Roaches were never the biggest part of your army either. There was a point where the Terran had +3 Infantry Weapons / +3 Infantry Armor / +3 Vehicle Weapons when you were still upgrading +2 Melee Attacks, which played a big part in him holding you off when your supply counts were still even.
  • It's ok to sacrifice an expansion if you don't have the army to defend it. Don't just send units to their deaths if you know you're outnumbered unless he's destroying your tech or your only mining base.

Hope that helps. :)

I liked that you tried to focus on hitting his expansions first and foremost. Keep that up! Also: spread creep, spread creep, spread creep! :D

Yoshichan

So if the spore crawler will get buffed and we see less mutas on the field, are we gonna see more swarm hosts get into play? Hydras, perhaps? Or are we gonna go back to infestors?

Yoshichan

Swarmhost wars is my prediction. God help us.
Speaking of swarm hosts... what did they change from the beta? I remember that terran and protoss got absolutely demolished by them (not even tanks could harm them). Now they're kinda meh. I know they removed their ability of shooting up, but what else?

Yoshichan

Nevermind, found the answers:

Balance Update #1[1]
Swarm host locust attack damage has decreased from 16 to 14.

Balance Update #2[2]
The locust’s attack range has decreased from 3 to 2.

Balance Update #4[3]
Locust attack range has increased from 2 to 3.
Locust damage has been reduced from 14 to 12.

Balance Update #8 [4]
Swarm Host health increased from 120 to 160.
So basically, they just reduced the heck out of their damage. That's good. Fuck, they were so broken in beta.

sixghost

Nevermind, found the answers:

So basically, they just reduced the heck out of their damage. That's good. Fuck, they were so broken in beta.

They're still extremely good vs protoss. I've got no idea if they'll ever be used extensively in pro games, but they're borderline overpowered in masters level ZvP.

Yoshichan

They're still extremely good vs protoss. I've got no idea if they'll ever be used extensively in pro games, but they're borderline overpowered in masters level ZvP.
The issue I have when I'm using swarm hosts against toss is the fact that I'm usually dead before I get to that point. I go ling/roach till 3-4 base, then build my infestation pit and start stacking up minerals (200/100 is fucking expensive for a swarm host imo).

Protoss usually attacks me during the time I'm starting to get hosts and I just... kinda die - or they manage to kill off one or two expos :(.

sixghost

The issue I have when I'm using swarm hosts against toss is the fact that I'm usually dead before I get to that point. I go ling/roach till 3-4 base, then build my infestation pit and start stacking up minerals (200/100 is fucking expensive for a swarm host imo).

Protoss usually attacks me during the time I'm starting to get hosts and I just... kinda die - or they manage to kill off one or two expos :(.

It's really easy to safely tech to SH against stargate openings. You're already fast teching to lair at 7:30ish to get 8-10 hydras, and P is almost forced to take a 3rd after that opening. There's plenty of time to get SHs out, upgraded, and tech to hive before any dangerous colossus push happens. If you can start your hive by 12:30, vipers will be out and charged before the typical 3base 3-4 colossus push occurs. Hydra/SH/viper absolutely crushes colossus armies before templar are out.

They're also pretty good against sentry immortal all-ins, and you can pretty easily get a contain outside Ps nat when they do Naniwa's 1gate expand, which is always fun.

Yoshichan

It's really easy to safely tech to SH against stargate openings. You're already fast teching to lair at 7:30ish to get 8-10 hydras, and P is almost forced to take a 3rd after that opening. There's plenty of time to get SHs out, upgraded, and tech to hive before any dangerous colossus push happens. If you can start your hive by 12:30, vipers will be out and charged before the typical 3base 3-4 colossus push occurs. Hydra/SH/viper absolutely crushes colossus armies before templar are out.

They're also pretty good against sentry immortal all-ins, and you can pretty easily get a contain outside Ps nat when they do Naniwa's 1gate expand, which is always fun.

Thanks a lot man, I really appreciate your help :)

Yoshichan

God damn it, Newegg doesn't ship to Europe... good bye MKP keyboard... fuck Newegg and all "AMERICA-FUCK YEAH-exclusive"-sites. Pos.

Akai__

Can somebody explain to me, why I got placed Bronze #100, when I won all 5 placement matches? I feel betrayed, because I could have just quitted all games and have the exact same result. Why did I even bother?

Yoshichan

Can somebody explain to me, why I got placed Bronze #100, when I won all 5 placement matches? I feel betrayed, because I could have just quitted all games and have the exact same result. Why did I even bother?
That's very odd... Try playing a game against someone, maybe your mmr is plat-dia.

Here you go: http://eu.battle.net/sc2/en/profile/1846029/1/Akai/

Edit: The Silver ranking is from WoL, not HotS.

last Hots season you were also bronze?

Edit: thats what it looks like, just so you know the game carries MMR over into the next season.

Also it looks like you hit the "Leave League" button at some point. Because you lost your first game this season then won the next 6 but your league w/l says 5-0.

Either way something looks odd, because you're only supposed to play 1 placement if you played the previous season.

Top Bottom