• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

StayDead

Well, it's late, but I went on to play one more game and managed to win it. It feels a lot better winning that because I feel like I'm finally playing people either on my skill level or better than me as these games have been really tense. I really need to show better games over the next few days though, my stats are like 22% vs P, 35% vs T and 67% vs Z. Need to get 'em all to atleast around 50 or in zergs case carry on as is :p

Chris R

How did you do that?
Waited. Had to wait 5+ mins for the launcher play button to become clickable and then nothing happened so I started playing something else only to be greeted with the sc2 splash screen a while after that. No internet this week due to switching providers :(

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
iPeT7L9vZbC5G.gif

Keep taking those steroids Drago!

You're crazy bro, that shit isn't going to affect anything except GMs will play more in the last couple of weeks of a season. If things are getting harder it's because bad players are quitting so everyone gets shifted down.

That or they got better. :p

Zen

Banned
Don't worry about losing a lot on the weekend, I've always found that Saturdays are cheese city.

think 4/6 cgames today had the opponent cheesing. I even had a masters toss try and recruit me to his clan after proxy 2 gate zealot rushing me

Bringing it back like it's week 1 on steppes of war.

Striek

TvP man. I always ask the protoss if they beat me (they usually do) what they don't like terrans doing and none of them ever have a good answer lol. Most of them <3 the matchup and really dont give a fuck what terrans opening is.

Maybe I'll swap back until a couple balance patches and get in while the gettings good.

Aylinato

TvP man. I always ask the protoss if they beat me (they usually do) what they don't like terrans doing and none of them ever have a good answer lol. Most of them <3 the matchup and really dont give a fuck what terrans opening is.

Maybe I'll swap back until a couple balance patches and get in while the gettings good.

Widow mine drops, hellbat drops, marine/maraduer drops, hellbat drops, into tank/Viking/ Thor/hellbat push.

StayDead

EJ, will you be around at any point today to play some practice games? I've gone from having like a 70% vs P last season to losing all of my games minus one, I need some practice I think :p

EJ, will you be around at any point today to play some practice games? I've gone from having like a 70% vs P last season to losing all of my games minus one, I need some practice I think :p

If you're still up after shoutcraft invitational then sure.

Edit: shitty ladder day, but at least nice to end the day with a zerg telling me "nice A move". lol.

I almost beat the Startale player "KingKong" today. So all in all I'm happy with my PvT, my PvZ is still really good. But by god, my PvP is super garbage tier.

Mairu

Shoutcraft America is starting! I'm excited even though I don't expect the best level of play. It's cool to see how much effort TB/Genna are putting into this. There's even official non-English streams!

Ketch

Edit: shitty ladder day, but at least nice to end the day with a zerg telling me "nice A move". lol.

That's hilarious. People are so dumb.

Nice A-move! Way to beat me with the easiest command in the game noob, why don't you use real skill and loose like I do.

Mairu

It's unfortunate that Shoutcraft is pretty much unwatchable. So much video lag :(

edit: seems to be fixed for now! yay!

double edit: spoke too soon :/

The audio was fine so I can clearly understand the casters. Since the video itself is unwatchable, I would simply use my imagination to fill in the gaps during the slideshow.

Mairu

The audio was fine so I can clearly understand the casters. Since the video itself is unwatchable, I would simply use my imagination to fill in the gaps during the slideshow.

They actually have a bunch of alternate-language streams for the tournament. So if you really wanted to, you could try syncing them up and muting the audio. Outside of the extreme lag, it's a pretty impressive presentation!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
What's Shoutcraft nowadays? A year or two ago, it was TB rambling for hours.

krpiper

Hey everyone,

So I picked up Wings a while ago, and then my computer went to that great IBM factory in the sky, I just recently got a new one and my buddy picked me up HotS recently.

But I never really played any of Wings, and I want to get in to the multi-player. All my friends are playing Dota/LoL and they never clicked so I thought I might as well try this game

Where do I start out? I am pretty knew to RTS, but I played a it of AoE2, and a bit of SC1 a few years ago.

I am krpiper on B.net I wont be around this week (ugh finals) but since this summer I have to have foot surgery....hello Battle.net

Hey everyone,

So I picked up Wings a while ago, and then my computer went to that great IBM factory in the sky, I just recently got a new one and my buddy picked me up HotS recently.

But I never really played any of Wings, and I want to get in to the multi-player. All my friends are playing Dota/LoL and they never clicked so I thought I might as well try this game

Where do I start out? I am pretty knew to RTS, but I played a it of AoE2, and a bit of SC1 a few years ago.

I am krpiper on B.net I wont be around this week (ugh finals) but since this summer I have to have foot surgery....hello Battle.net

Welcome to the group. Get on SC2 and join the NeoGAF clan.

Then start playing. More GG equals more skills as WhiteRa would say.

Go on Twitch and watch the pros play. Its a lot of fun. Also Shoutcraft is amazing.

Ketch

Yes join us in the GAF clan on bnet. We've also got a "scrub league" to help us newbies link up to find low skill no pressure practice games.

You should also check Filter SC's "bronze to masters" series on YouTube. In my opinion, its the best resource for beginners. But Day[9] has some good stuff for beginners as well. Search you tube for "Day9 fundamentals" and "day9 mechanics".

I would post the links but I'm on my phone right now, maybe someone can help me out.

krpiper

Soooo I started playing AI matches, two matches in, two losses. I played terrian and Zerg.

I tried to use hotkeys as much as possible and my APM were like 120 :(

Soooo I started playing AI matches, two matches in, two losses. I played terrian and Zerg.

I tried to use hotkeys as much as possible and my APM were like 120 :(

Thats a good start. Take it from me, I did my placements matches and lost 4 of them and ended up in Bronze.

Just keep playing, try out Protoss.

krpiper

Thats a good start. Take it from me, I did my placements matches and lost 4 of them and ended up in Bronze.

Just keep playing, try out Protoss.

I plan on it, I just had to take a break for lunch.

My problem is I don't know how to expand, I do a good job at building a base (I think) but I don't know how to expand or, get other units besides a zerg rush type of strategy

Chris R

Stick with one race and just play game after game after game. My protoss game is slowly getting better, but damn I need to work on spending my money :( Floating ~2k minerals is inexcusable, but I guess that is because I'm actually decent at macroing up to two or three bases. Love how OP colossi can seem when you have 3 or 4 and your P opponent doesn't have a single one, both on gateway+robo armies around ~80 to 100 supply.

Still placed in silver, probably because I should have pushed out and rolled my opponent sooner and not floated so many minerals :p

I plan on it, I just had to take a break for lunch.

My problem is I don't know how to expand, I do a good job at building a base (I think) but I don't know how to expand or, get other units besides a zerg rush type of strategy

It takes a while to learn when to expand and if you even should vs other races. Keep trying out matches vs Easy AI and try to zero in on the race you like the most.

When you have chosen, we can help you with the strategies you need for your race.

krpiper

It takes a while to learn when to expand and if you even should vs other races. Keep trying out matches vs Easy AI and try to zero in on the race you like the most.

When you have chosen, we can help you with the strategies you need for your race.

Should I just stay with one "base". I lost to easy AI in like 15 minutes but I lasted longer vs Very Easy AI, at about 30, and thats when I tried to expand and got overwhelmed.

First match Zerg and then Terrian

Should I just stay with one "base". I lost to easy AI in like 15 minutes but I lasted longer vs Very Easy AI, at about 30, and thats when I tried to expand and got overwhelmed.

Just make about 20 units and you can hold off most AI pushes. You can do with 1 base to start off and slowly get comfortable with expanding.

To make things easier on yourself. When you make an expansion, build a bunker if you are Terran, if you are Zerg then make a Spine Crawler or if you are Protoss make a Cannon.

But right now your focus should be on building units and workers to get more income.

Ketch

You should go watch just the first bronze to masters video.. It'll give some really good direction that focuses on exactly what you need to know at your level.

Watch that first video and I bet you win your next match.

Ketch

20 basic army units? or 20 units, works and army units?

sorry for all the newb questions

Ehh it's probably not a good idea to be thinking I need to build x amount of units. Instead focus on constant unit production.

First start by constantly creating a worker as soon as your previous worker finishes,no suing units allowed! build only supply depots as necessary. See if you can go for 5 minutes without missing a worker or getting supply blocked. Then restart and try to add a barracks, and then you have to constantly produce workers and marines and supply depots without any gaps between unit production and without getting supply blocked. If you can do that for 10 minutes, restart and do it again, but this time build 5 barracks... then do it again but try attacking at the 8 minute mark AND your still not allowed to miss a worker or a marine or get supply blocked.

After you can do all that then you add in taking an expansion at the sometime you push out for your attack, all without missing a unit or getting supply blocked. You will crush the AI all the way up to hard. No prob.

Chris R

I queue units when I'm going to chrono boost the building producing them :p First boost I use is on my nexus at 10 supply making two more probes.

VASPER

Banned

Wait wut, i think you can do a 2 rax opener into mad dropping to keep the toss at base and or worried about harras. You can eaisly hold off most attacks with a few hellbats or hellions in the early game with maurders and move into vikings and maybe some tanks to scare the toss. Boost on the medvacs are so OP IMO, I can drop in your base and bounce out like i was never there.

Mumei

Assuming you aren't doing some sort of one-base all-in (where it's basically "You kill them (or do an absurd amount of damage that makes up for your economic disadvantage) with an attack, or you lose the game"), you will generally be expanding quite early. When you expand depends on the match-up, what map you are on (and your spawn positions!), and what your opponent is doing, though, so there's no hard and fast rule for when you should expand.

VASPER

Banned
Hey everyone,

I highly recomend you paly through the SP campaign and do all the challenges to work on your unit counters. Work on your Hotkeys and control groups, get those engrained in your brain before your really start playing.

StayDead

I lost yet another TvP a few hours ago and I asked the guy what he thought I did wrong and he told me to not turtle on 2 bases for too long (despite him not having a third either) and said because I didn't move out he had a huge advantage (he got that leter on), but the big thing that annoyed me was I had to turtle as he was containing me with a failed immortal/stalker all in :p

mbmonk

I lost yet another TvP a few hours ago and I asked the guy what he thought I did wrong and he told me to not turtle on 2 bases for too long (despite him not having a third either) and said because I didn't move out he had a huge advantage (he got that leter on), but the big thing that annoyed me was I had to turtle as he was containing me with a failed immortal/stalker all in :p

Maybe post a replay? I can't help you. I suck, but maybe other who do not can.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
20 basic army units? or 20 units, works and army units?

sorry for all the newb questions

Never stop building workers and never stop building army units until you are maxed out at 200/200. Your buildings need to always be building something with not one second where they're sitting around and doing nothing. Also always have an excess of supply depots or pylons so that those buildings can always be building something.

If you do that and keep your money low by building more buildings, you'll have the fundaments that can be built on with things like when to expand.

But because you asked, the simplest way to know when to expand is to look at the in game timer (which can be enabled in the settings) and expand between 7-8 minutes into the game, and then once again 11-13 minutes into the game. Just do that every game and you should start to get a feel for it. But that only applies if you have the fundimentals down.

sixghost

Why is idra's stream still so popular? He's fallen so far I hardly ever recognize any of the players with which he gets matched. It's hard to imagine all those people watch to see him cuss and complain after losing.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Why is idra's stream still so popular? He's fallen so far I hardly ever recognize any of the players with which he gets matched. It's hard to imagine all those people watch to see him cuss and complain after losing.

I like his stream because he's still one of the best at describing what both him and his opponents are doing and the thought process behind it while he's playing. He'd really make an excellent caster.

Also the raging and bm can be fun in it's own way.

Top Bottom