• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Pretty sure it's been that way for a couple of days now.

I had a "downgrade" from 600 to 250 apm as zerg.

It was a complete mess, thank God it's fixed now.

sixghost

So are you going speedling into roach/infestor? this is what I want to do, but I fail because I don't use my infestors well.

I tried playing a bit of the SC1 in SC2 campaign today, and I fail so hard on the terran siege tank mission. Even on easy. Terran macro is so foreign to me now that I've played so much zerg... how do you deal with more then one production building? It feels so clumsy for me.

I've been doing a speedling opening into a roach/bane bust with lings following up, as well as a 4 queen opening into plain old 9-10 roach timings. This transitions into roach/hydra with infestors eventually. I still don't really feel comfortable with the style yet, but on the whole it all just seems much more manageable than muta/ling ZvT.

Terran macro is easy as hell. Use location hotkeys on CCs, group all barracks on one hotkey, factory/starport on another hotkey (use tab to switch), CCs on another hotkey.

Then just get in the habit of spamming 3ddaaaaaaaa 4tt tab dd 5sss or whatever.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Its part of the new patch only on SEA atm.
Huh, that's odd.

Why did Blizzard even change the APM for HotS?
I've been doing a speedling opening into a roach/bane bust with lings following up, as well as a 4 queen opening into plain old 9-10 roach timings. This transitions into roach/hydra with infestors eventually. I still don't really feel comfortable with the style yet, but on the whole it all just seems much more manageable than muta/ling ZvT.

Terran macro is easy as hell. Use location hotkeys on CCs, group all barracks on one hotkey, factory/starport on another hotkey (use tab to switch), CCs on another hotkey.

Then just get in the habit of spamming 3ddaaaaaaaa 4tt tab dd 5sss or whatever.
Macro overall is pretty damn easy, but terran is by far the "hardest". Zerg macro is derp and protoss macro is herp.

Wunder

wtf, that's more effort than Zerg or Protoss, who get away with quite literally get away with szzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz or w z z z z z z z z z. But yes, macro in general is easy.

Yoshichan

wtf, that's more effort than Zerg or Protoss, who get away with quite literally get away with szzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz or w z z z z z z z z z. But yes, macro in general is easy.
It's really about prioritizing the right stuff. Macro may be easy but macroing while controlling your phoenix, HT's, positioning your zealots/stalkers can be hard if you're not mentally prepared for it (same thing goes for terran/zerg of course. As a zerg, you should still be injecting/creep spreading during combat, and terran has to constantly cycle through all their buildings).

Yoshichan

And with Zerg making a wave of drones can sometimes mean you just die
Well I mean, that's another part of macro we're talking about at that point. It's not really hard to make drones - however it is hard to know when you should be making drones.

sixghost

Well I mean, that's another part of macro we're talking about at that point. It's not really hard to make drones - however it is hard to know when you should be making drones.

That was more my point. Terran macro is very mechanical. You make constant scvs, constantly produce from barracks/factory, then add production facilities at the proper time. The hard part of terran is using that army properly, whereas the hard part of zerg is usually having droned/injected/scouted properly to have the right army at the right time. Micro is hardly even a factor with zerg, whereas terran is all micro at a certain point.

StayDead

The big thing that makes terran hard (which has been the case ever since Broodwar) is unlike Toss and Zerg (especially in SC2) Terran late game even if you have a big bank has a hard time remaxing really quickly unless youj have enough production buildings. Zerg has the easiest time so the big issue with Terran is learning how many production facilities you need and when to add them as especially with certain styles, if you don't have enough production and you lose a large portion of your army, you just straight up die.

Zen

Banned
I'm making a promise to myself to really focus on improving over the next two months, I want to achieve consistently being mid/high masters by the next 6 months. Right now I'm absolutely low masters, but I know I can do better as I continue to get my emotional volatility further under control and focus. I use to break keyboards like nobody's business, but I've been sober for 6 months now, and it was 3 months before that when I bought the previous one, feels good man.

Chris R

I wish I had played 5 full placement games for this season :( Played two games last night and they were just more "placement" matches basically, including playing against a 1 base zerg who build 10 zerglings and just sat there while I attacked him

profit

I'm making a promise to myself to really focus on improving over the next two months, I want to achieve consistently being mid/high masters by the next 6 months. Right now I'm absolutely low masters, but I know I can do better as I continue to get my emotional volatility further under control and focus. I use to break keyboards like nobody's business, but I've been sober for 6 months now, and it was 3 months before that when I bought the previous one, feels good man.

Go for it man! And keep us updated.
Also post replays after every play session, it will help motivate you when other people can help looking for mistakes and things you can improve.

sixghost

I'm around that level on NA if you want to play. I'm zerg.

sixghost.219

At gold/plat level roach openings are so strong against terran. Particularly the ones that try to copy pros and go for reapers. At this level they either micro the reapers and can't keep up with their normal build order at home or they don't micro the reapers, which then easily get killed. Either way just turn up at their base with 10-11 roaches at the 7 minute mark, see that they have like 4 hellions and a few marines, maybe a widow mine, laugh, then kill 20+ scvs..

Aylinato

At gold/plat level roach openings are so strong against terran. Particularly the ones that try to copy pros and go for reapers. At this level they either micro the reapers and can't keep up with their normal build order at home or they don't micro the reapers, which then easily get killed. Either way just turn up at their base with 10-11 roaches at the 7 minute mark, see that they have like 4 hellions and a few marines, maybe a widow mine, laugh, then kill 20+ scvs..

If I went mass repears I would always go for killing their gas(as Terran) vs Zerg, becaus eu know that if they are getting gas they are trying to tech to something and if I can shut that down it'd be perfect

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i still think mass rauder hellbat early on is the way to go for every level of zvt

Yoshichan

Quick build order to get warhounds out? Armory takes forever to build...

StayDead

Quick build order to get warhounds out? Armory takes forever to build...

fact > armory > starport > hellbat drop - I believe is the common one. In the TL Terran Help me Thread you can find it in the first post.

Had a better day of fully unranked games today, I seemed to lose all my TvT's to bad positioning (this never was a problem before, bloody bio) but I won all my TvZs near enough minus one I just completely mucked up on :p

Striek

Played a few games on SEA last night for ze lulz of getting GM.

tbzcd2L.jpg

Negative bonus pool!

Warhounds? Did they enable warhouds for Terran? That'd be so OP

I would trade the Maruders for Warhounds but thats a lost cause.

Anyway I'm working on incorporating Thors to fight Ultras with Marauders and a few hellbats to break zerglings.

I simply don't have the micro necessary to keep backpedaling vs Ultras while macroing up behind hitting DDDDDDDDDDDDDDD for Marauders.

Also making sure I don't camp so much. Lost so many matches camping outside Zerg's base when I know they can reinforce way faster than me and simply bleed off units trying to break it.

Striek

Most players can't deal with ultras with bio. Even in pro matches its not uncommon to see terran players losing if they attempt to simply kite ultras with bio, the safest bet is to get into a choke point (between buildings, behind mineral lines, on ramps etc.) and reduce the surface area as much as possible.
Also making sure I don't camp so much. Lost so many matches camping outside Zerg's base when I know they can reinforce way faster than me and simply bleed off units trying to break it.
My favourite TvZ build is hellbat/MMM, and do a parade push (constant rallying reinforcements to front) after I land my third until I win. Macro is by far my strongest point and this composition can be really cost-effective vs. ling/bane/muta.

That said if I do try and play with mines I think you don't necessarily need to reinforce, if you set up well you can try and make it really hard for them to attack even a small group with mines, and you can push multiple areas with small expendable armies.

Most players can't deal with ultras with bio. Even in pro matches its not uncommon to see terran players losing if they attempt to simply kite ultras with bio, the safest bet is to get into a choke point (between buildings, behind mineral lines, on ramps etc.) and reduce the surface area as much as possible.

My favourite TvZ build is hellbat/MMM, and do a parade push (constant rallying reinforcements to front) after I land my third until I win. Macro is by far my strongest point and this composition can be really cost-effective vs. ling/bane/muta.

That said if I do try and play with mines I think you don't necessarily need to reinforce, if you set up well you can try and make it really hard for them to attack even a small group with mines, and you can push multiple areas with small expendable armies.

Sounds better than what I've been doing. Thanks for the strategy. :)

Wouldn't unsieged tanks do better against ultras?

Thors are pretty much used to tank the 35 damage from Ultras while Marauders fire from afar.

The Thor's size also negates the splash damage from the Ultras. 300 HP plus Armor isn't something to scoff at along with Anti Muta air splash for a tech switch.

The problem is the time needed to make them and the amount of Gas + extra Factories with Techlab.

Also have to be careful about losing them to Lings/Roaches.

Aaron

It sucks the amount of inferstructure a terran needs to properly support thors. Should be able to mass them like zergs do with ultras in late game.

Zen

Banned
Go for it man! And keep us updated.
Also post replays after every play session, it will help motivate you when other people can help looking for mistakes and things you can improve.

Thanks I'll start doing that.One of the hardest habits I need to break is opening myself up to critism of my play, and everyone here is awesome though I don't participate in Gaf nights as often as I should (read ever!).

I'm around that level on NA if you want to play. I'm zerg.

sixghost.219

Absolutely, I've been struggling TvZ as of late and can use the practice. :) I'll hop on and add you right now.

Top Bottom