• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

sixghost

That sounds like it just turns things into an even less exciting muta v muta with the reduced hit and run capabilities and risk taking, but I guess we'll find out over time.

I was thinking that it would prevent the inevitable muta backstab that occurs every single time a roach/hydra player pushes out. If this doesn't fix ZvZ, I'd imagine they'll need to look at the hydra.

Aylinato

So mutas die in 3 hits from a spore? lol

Time to work on some zvz sim city.

I think the difference is now spores will still be effective against mutas once they get higher in number. You won't just be able to fly in and focus the queen without losing a couple mutas.

Now you zergs can go spores+those burrow things/ultras. Amazing day.

FluxWaveZ

I was thinking that it would prevent the inevitable muta backstab that occurs every single time a roach/hydra player pushes out. If this doesn't fix ZvZ, I'd imagine they'll need to look at the hydra.

That's true. Less reason to stay back with hydras to defend a base now that spore crawlers are more effective. Might make Roach/Hydra/Infestor far more effective... well, kinda like how it was before HotS.

Ketch

Nobody else things the corruptor should be the next change? I guess they wouldn't really be able to shut down mutas until after the mutas were already out.

ZvZ just gonna be Swarmhost vs Swarmhost now

I want swarmhost/broodlord vs swarmhost/broodlord. Both sides meet in the middle of the map then AFK to make a sandwich.

FluxWaveZ

Nobody else things the corruptor should be the next change? I guess they wouldn't really be able to shut down mutas until after the mutas were already out.

I don't think a Corruptor change is relevant for any perceived Mutalisk problem, however I do believe the Corruptor might need to be looked at relating to skytoss.

sixghost

I want swarmhost/broodlord vs swarmhost/broodlord. Both sides meet in the middle of the map then AFK to make a sandwich.

The corrupter needs work, but not because of ZvZ. Ideally both ground and air are valid mid game strategies. Making air the only viable counter to air doesn't seem like a great fix.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Anyone else miss the infestor?

profit

So Fanboi just let me know that he's currently too busy to continue scheduling the SC2 GAF tournament. He asked if I wanted to take over, but since I do not have any experience organizing something like this I said I will have a look on what it takes to do it.
Anyone else interested in co-organizing this thing, someone who has previously done something like that?

FluxWaveZ

So Fanboi just let me know that he's currently too busy to continue scheduling the SC2 GAF tournament. He asked if I wanted to take over, but since I do not have any experience organizing something like this I said I will have a look on what it takes to do it.
Anyone else interested in co-organizing this thing, someone who has previously done something like that?

Organizing this really shouldn't be that hard. Post tournament rules + date, take a list of participants, make a bracket using a site like Challonge and then disqualify people who don't show up and take care of any other minor issue.

I've organized several tournaments for a smaller forum before (as well as a cross-community tournament). I don't know if I'd have the time to take care of this with finals and all, but it's something I'd like to see happen eventually.

Zen

Banned
Im fine with zergs winning all the tournaments yet still QQing that their shit is underpowered, yes.

Damn.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Corran striking everyone under the belt. Where's Panda to defend us?!

Yoshichan

Infestors aren't worthless though.
They're barely being used in ladder games, and I didn't see good infestor-play during the entire Dreamhack Open-tournament ._.

Ketch

Well I'm up for that, since I'm way too busy with work stuff to do it on my own.
These are the participants we already have so far:
http://sc2ranks.com/c/13798/neogaf-seed/

OK!

But since this list is rather old, I'll give everyone until 8PM Pacific Standard time Wednesday 16 May to PM me if they want to stay on the list or be added. Anyone who doesn't PM me will be removed from the list and then we'll start working on brackets for the weekend!

This is going to happen. Believe.

edit: googling how to run a tournament...

Looked it up, seems super simple. I'm thinking a double elimination bracket, seeded according to everyone's W/L over the current season. But we need to figure out map pool (my suggestion would be all the 1v1 ladder maps), and the weird SC2 specific "rules"... like are we gonna do best 2 outta 3? and then like per match map vetos and stuff... which I don't know how those should work at all.

Yoshichan

You can do better than relying on the the slightly more socially accepted version of ChronicleX, son.
Don't compare Panda with ChronicleX.

profit

OK!

But since this list is rather old, I'll give everyone until 8PM Pacific Standard time Wednesday 16 May to PM me if they want to stay on the list or be added. Anyone who doesn't PM me will be removed from the list and then we'll start working on brackets for the weekend!

This is going to happen. Believe.

edit: googling how to run a tournament...

Looked it up, seems super simple. I'm thinking a double elimination bracket, seeded according to everyone's W/L over the current season. But we need to figure out map pool (my suggestion would be all the 1v1 ladder maps), and the weird SC2 specific "rules"... like are we gonna do best 2 outta 3? and then like per match map vetos and stuff... which I don't know how those should work at all.

BO3 sounds good, as for maps, how about we do a poll when we have our players? Dont know if thats a good idea or not though.

Ketch

BO3 sounds good, as for maps, how about we do a poll when we have our players? Dont know if thats a good idea or not though.

I sent you a PM!

Lets split it up, I'll organize the sign ups and brackets, if you organize the map pool/match rules.

Holy crap it's late, I'm going to bed.

profit

I sent you a PM!

Lets split it up, I'll organize the sign ups and brackets, if you organize the map pool/match rules.

Holy crap it's late, I'm going to bed.

Just answered your PM, have a good night man.

Also the rest of SC2 GAF, if you have any ideas or thoughts you want to share with us about the tournament, just post in here or shoot us a PM.
This first tournament will be a mess, but it will be a fun mess!

They're barely being used in ladder games, and I didn't see good infestor-play during the entire Dreamhack Open-tournament ._.

You could have easily made this same comment for most of WOL as well. There was also a phase where you never saw mutas before they were constantly used in every matchup.

Ladder games mean nothing as the vast majority of players just copy the builds and styles that they read and watch, very few players actually try anything even remotely off the beaten path.

In terms of pro games i've seen them being used, not in big numbers but they're being used. I think they should be given time to find their place in the meta game.

Other units deserve looking at first.

FluxWaveZ

OK!

I think that May 16th is too short a notice. This has been on and off for a while now and people might have just stopped paying attention, so I think catching people's attention in a better way—maybe even making a whole new tournament sign-up thread—would be ideal.

As for the rules/process, I'm thinking this:

A double elimination bracket sounds good. Not sure if it's worth the effort to seed by W/L ratio, but if it wouldn't be complicated then that'd be good. BO3 with semi-finals and finals possibly being BO5 is fine as long as you're not expecting this tournament to finish within a single day. For a shorter time frame: BO1 for matches before the S-F, BO3 for S-F and BO5 for Finals would be ideal.

Map pool sounds simple. I don't know about the stuff, but I'm sure one could just take a list of common tournament maps or we could just use the maps currently on ladder. The maps players will play on in any given match will either be established by the organizers on a per phase basis (for example, everyone in round 1 of the tournament will play their matches on Neo Planet S) or will be chosen by the players themselves. For the latter case, if players would not be able to come to a consensus on a map to play on, they would take turn vetoing maps from the pool until only one would remain, which would be the map they would play on.

Other than that, there aren't really any special rules... I guess, if a player drops from a match either you would decide on immediately disqualifying them, leaving it up to the opponent, restarting the match from a replay or restarting the entire match. Also, no cheating allowed and stuff.

To organize brackets, you would make sure each player signing up either has a Binary Beast account or a Challonge account based on the tournament manager you would be using.

Set a time, set a date (or several if the tournament spans multiple days), possibly organize casters and a stream, detail prizes if there are any, establish a location where players will be able to communicate (SC2 NeoGAF chat channel, an IRC or whatever) and done.

Son1x

I can help too. I have some experience hosting/running/streaming (I can do that here too, which I arleady mentioned in the tournament but apparently no one saw :D) from Conn.Si.

I think Challonge would be easiets, since you just add the players (they don't need to sign up), seed and brackets are generated. DE would make it more interesting.

How about the ladder map pool except we (the players) vote one out?

profit

I can help too. I have some experience hosting/running/streaming (I can do that here too, which I arleady mentioned in the tournament but apparently no one saw :D) from Conn.Si.

I think Challonge would be easiets, since you just add the players (they don't need to sign up), seed and brackets are generated. DE would make it more interesting.

Would be awesome if you want to help!
By the way for the people that want to help, if you guys got skype or something could you PM me? Would be simpler that way.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

infestor, broodlord, swarmhost, has been a thing. it's late game and gas heavy but probably the best army in the game.

profit

Oh wow.... I think I'm a bit too tired to play today.
First game:
Game starts, I start an SCV and hotkey my CC. But everytime I want to produce an SCV my other worksers stop and my CC does not produce any SCV's.... "fuck I'm super far behind..." Oh wait, I hotkeyed my SCV's and instead of producing them I kept ordering them to stop mining.

Ketch

Oh wow.... I think I'm a bit too tired to play today.
First game:
Game starts, I start an SCV and hotkey my CC. But everytime I want to produce an SCV my other worksers stop and my CC does not produce any SCV's.... "fuck I'm super far behind..." Oh wait, I hotkeyed my SCV's and instead of producing them I kept ordering them to stop mining.

That's when you transition into 11 rax all in.

I'll checkout challonge.com tonight, and I'm getting help from Cyan to change the title of the official tournament thread.

I'm gonna stick with the Wednesday night dead line for now, but if we don't get enough confirmations by then ill push it back. I would like to have as many players as what is on that original list, whether they are all the same or we loose some and add others.

It would be nice to start playing the games this weekend.

profit

That's when you transition into 11 rax all in.

I'll checkout challonge.com tonight, and I'm getting help from Cyan to change the title of the official tournament thread.

I'm gonna stick with the Wednesday night dead line for now, but if we don't get enough confirmations by then ill push it back. I would like to have as many players as what is on that original list, whether they are all the same or we loose some and add others.

It would be nice to start playing the games this weekend.

Sounds good!
Oh, I was thinking about going with the GSL Map pool:

Season 1 2013 Map Pool

Akilon Flats

Cloud Kingdom

Daybreak

Bel'shir Vestige

Icarus

Neo Planet S

Whirlwind

Edit: removed links, thanks Holden

Ketch

Awesome, I think we'd really appreciate the help. Do you want to head up the sort of "day of" festivities and stuff?

profit

WCS EU... all Korean players. Rather amusing.

You mean, two Korean players?

I changed the thread title for you, but if it's going to be organized differently and have different participants than the old thread, you might want to just make a new thread once you've got the details ironed out.

Is it okay if we PM you the details when we have a decent plan?

Ketch

I changed the thread title for you, but if it's going to be organized differently and have different participants than the old thread, you might want to just make a new thread once you've got the details ironed out.

Yea that's probably a good idea, but I wanted to make sure anyone following that thread was kept in the loop.

Here's what I'm thinking so far, open to input from profit and son1x and the rest of the community obviously, but:

1. Hopefully we have enough players either confirmed or signed up by Wednesday deadline.

2. Get the brackets, map pool, and match rules posted by Thursday night for community review.

3. Have the brackets, map pool, match rules finalized by Friday night. Maybe hear some ideas for live stream/ casting/ featured matches from Son1x around the same time.

4. If 1-3 work out then matches can start Saturday and the deadline for the first round of matches would be the following Friday, with follow on matches allowed to be played as soon as the winners from the previous rounds are determined.

If we don't get enough players by Wednesday, we push the dead line back to Friday night, do steps 2 and 3 on Saturday, and matches could hopefully start on Sunday and run until the following Saturday.

What do you guys think?

Edit: we'll put up a new thread for the new tournament once map pool and match rules are finalized.

Top Bottom