• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Ketch

What should I be scouting to tell if a terran is going bio or mech? You have to get a barracks before factory right, so if I scout barracks/gas that could mean either reaper or factory, so if no reaper then he's probably going mech?

But don't you need a factory for a starport? so it could also mean banshee?

So then I should send an overlord? maybe at like 6:30, or is that too early? what should I be looking for? two factories?

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
It's still all EG lol

Its a EG sponsored show broadcasted on a EG owned channel...I think its safe to think that EG players would replace them lol. I could see Demulsim coming back though now idra is gone since Thorzain is often at odd times from america.

sixghost

What should I be scouting to tell if a terran is going bio or mech? You have to get a barracks before factory right, so if I scout barracks/gas that could mean either reaper or factory, so if no reaper then he's probably going mech?

But don't you need a factory for a starport? so it could also mean banshee?

So then I should send an overlord? maybe at like 6:30, or is that too early? what should I be looking for? two factories?

1rax and gas means nothing with regard to whether it's going to be mech or bio. It can mean just about anything. reaper expand, marine expand, 1base play, etc. Send your first overlord to their natural and watch for the expansion. If they don't take it relatively quickly, start preparing yourself for 1base stuff like hellbat drop or widowmine drop.

I don't know the timing, but T usually commits to their midgame strategy after the first 2-4 hellions are out. They're either going to be adding barracks and going biomine, adding factories to go mech or try a blue flame hellion attack or making a quick 3rd cc. Obviously that's not all they can do, but those are the common ones. If it's a fast 3rd cc, you need to pop back in a couple minutes later to check again whether it's bio or mech.

mbmonk

Back in Silver :)

Chargelot + Archon is just as delicious against low level Zerg as I had dreamed :). It really is attack move; no micro required.

Ketch

Back in Silver :)

Chargelot + Archon is just as delicious against low level Zerg as I had dreamed :). It really is attack move; no micro required.

YEY! welcome back! We need to play!

Thanks to crimsonlink I think it was (Chaos Joe?) for our practice match, you're miles ahead of me in skill, but I did learn a lot. I played two ladder matches afterwards, first one was ZvZ which I screwed up pretty bad, but the second one was vs meching terran on neo planet S so I was all prepared!

He siege tank rushed me at my natural which I felt like I defended really well. His tanks were just in range of my hatch but not my drones, so I pulled my spine crawler up onto high ground over looking the choke, got out like 5 roaches, and then attacked him with 2 queens and 5 roaches. I was able to keep my units up with transfuse and I killed like 5 siege tanks and some marines, while loose like 3 roaches or something... was a really good defense.

After I was able to successfully defend I went into speed roach/baneling and got to his natural right when he was arriving at my front with his second assault. I couldn't tell how much he had at my front, but by then I was on 3 bases and held him off with just a handful of speedlings while my roach/bane had busted his natural and was killing SCVs in his main.

I was really happy with my defense into really good macro (ended up with 4 base and decent creep spread), into really great counter attack timing... even though it was partly based on luck (with the miracle speedling defense at my front).

Again, thanks for the practice match. The things you were talking to me about (adjusting my unit comp to counter the enemy, and specifically getting better engagements) are definitely the next step for me.

I think I might actually be getting to the point where not getting supply blocked and spreading creep are kind of just happening automatically without having to spend much (or any) brain power on them.

Feels pretty good when you get to the end of a match and look at the mini map and say like "Oh damn, look at all that creep", it's kind of like the final piece of playing Zerg has fallen into place.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?

sixghost

Thanks for the insights duded.

Another question for zergs: Do you always get overlord speed? I feel like Ovie speed and burrow are two upgrades I should always get but seldom do. When do you fit them in?
Against Terran, almost always. It's never not worth it unless you are 100% sure the terran won't be dropping, which is never. Get it and throw a ton of overlords along the sides of the map looking for drops, as well as parking ovies spewing creep on T's potential 3rd, 4th, 5th bases. It's a quick research and is fairly cheap. You'll almost always get 100/100 worth of value. Even if it spots one drop earlier than normal, you've broke even.

No problem Ketch, you did great. Happy to hear you managed to beat a meching player.

Yes my user ID is ChaosJoe. :)

Post the replay if you can please.

Son1x

Yea that's probably a good idea, but I wanted to make sure anyone following that thread was kept in the loop.

Here's what I'm thinking so far, open to input from profit and son1x and the rest of the community obviously, but:

1. Hopefully we have enough players either confirmed or signed up by Wednesday deadline.

2. Get the brackets, map pool, and match rules posted by Thursday night for community review.

3. Have the brackets, map pool, match rules finalized by Friday night. Maybe hear some ideas for live stream/ casting/ featured matches from Son1x around the same time.

4. If 1-3 work out then matches can start Saturday and the deadline for the first round of matches would be the following Friday, with follow on matches allowed to be played as soon as the winners from the previous rounds are determined.

If we don't get enough players by Wednesday, we push the dead line back to Friday night, do steps 2 and 3 on Saturday, and matches could hopefully start on Sunday and run until the following Saturday.

What do you guys think?

Edit: we'll put up a new thread for the new tournament once map pool and match rules are finalized.

I think that is a rather short deadline, maybe perhaps until next week? Thats basically less than 24 hours? Btw, you wrote Wednesday 16th on the tournament thread, when the 16th is actualy Thursday.

Other than that, sounds good to me.

V_Arnold

Thanks for the insights duded.

Another question for zergs: Do you always get overlord speed? I feel like Ovie speed and burrow are two upgrades I should always get but seldom do. When do you fit them in?

Yep, as others said before me: definitely get it. If not for drops, then for Overseer speed when you will go mutas or simply need them for widow mine spotting. It is painful to forget that and realize that you want to move an ovie around with your mutas, and it is half a map behind instead of just a quarter map :p

As for the when, it should be before you start upgrading muta attacks or getting hive, and sometimes even before lair. Priority-wise, it is the same weigth class for me as +1/+1.

Ketch

I think that is a rather short deadline, maybe perhaps until next week? Thats basically less than 24 hours? Btw, you wrote Wednesday 16th on the tournament thread, when the 16th is actualy Thursday.

Other than that, sounds good to me.

Yea I'm kind of aware it's a short deadline, I just don't want to let it fall onto my back burner. So well probably be pushing it back till at least Friday. I am getting a couple confirmations every day though.

Ill get Skype tonight, maybe we can all get on later.

Wunder

Yea I'm kind of aware it's a short deadline, I just don't want to let it fall onto my back burner. So well probably be pushing it back till at least Friday. I am getting a couple confirmations every day though.

Ill get Skype tonight, maybe we can all get on later.

Would the tournament be played over the course of a few days, or held in a single one?

Ketch

I think the best way to do it, and I am completely open to suggestions, would be something like:

1. Post the bracket that shows everyone's first match, and allow 1 week to play the first round matches. Send the results to the tournament admin as soon as you can.

2. Admins Update the brackets with the results as soon as possible after receiving them from the players.

3. If the opponent for your next match is already determined go ahead and play, but the dead line for the next round will still be 1 week (or whatever) after the deadline for the first round.

That way it would allow for people who have extra time more freedom to play whenever they want without penalizing people who have a busier schedule. I think The deadlines for when to get your games finished should become shorter as the tournament moves on because their are less games that need to be played. Then maybe actually schedule a time for the final match to be played so we can have spectators and stuff.

I anticipate some people getting like a match or two ahead of the rest of the bracket but then having to wait for the deadlines for other people to catch up

Profit is working on the match rules which I think should include things like what to do if your opponent never shows up.

Question for everybody: what do you guys think of random seeds based on when people sign up.

So for example everyone who has signed up/ confirmed by the original deadline of 8pm pacific tonight gets assigned a random seed, and then the group of people who sign up by the next registration deadline are assigned a random seeds starting after the first group.

I think this solves multiple issues: I don't have to try and figure out seeds based on previous wins/losses or anything. It should hopefully motivated people to register quickly so we can go ahead and get started, and it rewards the people who have been nice enough to register/confirm with me already.

This was a long post from my phone, so hopefully it all makes sense.

edit: I should say that like a "1 week" deadline to play the matches is just notional right now, it all depends on how many people sign up. (right now I have like 6 sign ups)

profit

I think the best way to do it, and I am completely open to suggestions, would be something like:

1. Post the bracket that shows everyone's first match, and allow 1 week to play the first round matches. Send the results to the tournament admin as soon as you can.

2. Admins Update the brackets with the results as soon as possible after receiving them from the players.

3. If the opponent for your next match is already determined go ahead and play, but the dead line for the next round will still be 1 week (or whatever) after the deadline for the first round.

That way it would allow for people who have extra time more freedom to play whenever they want without penalizing people who have a busier schedule. I think The deadlines for when to get your games finished should become shorter as the tournament moves on because their are less games that need to be played. Then maybe actually schedule a time for the final match to be played so we can have spectators and stuff.

I anticipate some people getting like a match or two ahead of the rest of the bracket but then having to wait for the deadlines for other people to catch up

Profit is working on the match rules which I think should include things like what to do if your opponent never shows up.

Question for everybody: what do you guys think of random seeds based on when people sign up.

So for example everyone who has signed up/ confirmed by the original deadline of 8pm pacific tonight gets assigned a random seed, and then the group of people who sign up by the next registration deadline are assigned a random seeds starting after the first group.

I think this solves multiple issues: I don't have to try and figure out seeds based on previous wins/losses or anything. It should hopefully motivated people to register quickly so we can go ahead and get started, and it rewards the people who have been nice enough to register/confirm with me already.

This was a long post from my phone, so hopefully it all makes sense.

edit: I should say that like a "1 week" deadline to play the matches is just notional right now, it all depends on how many people sign up. (right now I have like 6 sign ups)

Did you count me for a sign up? Cause I still want to play in this :).

And you worded my thoughts about the scheduling of games perfectly. Also I think a week is plenty to get the games played. Regular matches BO3, semi finals BO5, Grand Finals (which we should set a date for so people can indeed spectate and get the game casted) a BO7.

Ketch

Did you count me for a sign up? Cause I still want to play in this :).

And you worded my thoughts about the scheduling of games perfectly. Also I think a week is plenty to get the games played. Regular matches BO3, semi finals BO5, Grand Finals (which we should set a date for so people can indeed spectate and get the game casted) a BO7.

Are you available for a skype conference with me and son1x tonight? we can iron everything out and then make a new thread.

Also, everyone please PM me if you want to play! I'm using my inbox to help me organize the sign ups, and I don't want to accidentally leave anyone out. So unless you've PM'd saying you want to play assume I don't know for sure that you're registered and I might accidentally leave you out!

profit

Are you available for a skype conference with me and son1x tonight? we can iron everything out and then make a new thread.

Also, everyone please PM me if you want to play! I'm using my inbox to help me organize the sign ups, and I don't want to accidentally leave anyone out. So unless you've PM'd saying you want to play assume I don't know for sure that you're registered and I might accidentally leave you out!

I'll be available in Skype, dont have a mic at this time though.

zargle

As someone who has witnessed a number of GAF tourneys fail halfway through, my recommendation would be not to give people a week to do their games, instead go with a shorter timeframe. Set hard dates and if people cannot commit to them then don't let them participate.

profit

As someone who has witnessed a number of GAF tourneys fail halfway through, my recommendation would be not to give people a week to do their games, instead go with a shorter timeframe. Set hard dates and if people cannot commit to them then don't let them participate.

Perhaps, but I really want to play in the tournament itself, but I dont have a lot of spare time. I've got a job where I have to work for even after hours, I have family duties so my days are quite packed; and keep in mind due to the time zone difference for some people it really isnt that simple to meet up.

Please someone give me an excuse to play. I love this game but everytime I boot it up, I leave and play GW2 :(

Just login start a game and youre set.

Please someone give me an excuse to play. I love this game but everytime I boot it up, I leave and play GW2 :(
Bask in the glory of those saved up bonus points. Stare at them. THEY'RE NOT GOING ANYWHERE.

not but seriously just hit 'find match', victories in sc2 feel so much better than in any other game.

Ketch

We'll set had dates, but I always want to make sure everyone has plenty of opportunity to participate. Fun community tournament, with plenty of time for the folks who aren't super serious.

The only way online tourneys work is if its a same day tourney or if there is a strict timeframe between rounds, where if a time can't be decided on by both parties it must be played at X date/time.

Otherwise it will fail.

SamuraiX-

The only way online tourneys work is if its a same day tourney or if there is a strict timeframe between rounds, where if a time can't be decided on by both parties it must be played at X date/time.

Otherwise it will fail.

The bold will most likely work the best, imo.

I doubt you can find a 24-hour time frame where everyone is available on just one specific day.

StayDead

I think you should set times where games need to be played by for rounds. As most of us are in Europe and America it'd be hard to do it in a single day.

Ketch

Otherwise it will fail.

That's exactly what I think we should do. When the tournament officially begins all players will have X amount of days to finish there matches and send in the results.

The question is how many days do we allow? 7 days? 4 days? 2 days? I think it depends partly on how many people sign up.

If we only get like 12 sign ups then the window can be short, but if there's 20+ people then to make it fair I think we'd need a larger window.

If it helps maybe we can look at our expectations. Please comment on what I'm about to say next, I am by no means an authority. Maybe this is a silly way to think about it, but that's why I'm doing here, so YOU GUYS can tell us how you'd like the tournament to be run.

I think a reasonable expectation for someone who has signed up for a SC2 tournament on NeoGAF is to be able to play for at least 1hr 30min every day. I'd say that on average you could play 3 matches in that time. So if we want to do best 2 out of 3, that could run to 5 matches, so we should allow everyone at least 2 days to finish their match.

So I think it could be perfect if we want to do it over this weekend (or probably push it back to next weekend). If we get sign ups finished, I could post finalized brackets by Friday afternoon and make the deadline for round 1 matches Sunday night. That would give everybody Friday night to get with their opponent to schedule their match for the weekend, all day saturday and sunday for people to play, a whole week to finish the rest of the tournament, and then the finals could be on the weekend again. I think that's a good schedule, and then the sooner we finish sign ups the longer people will have to schedule their match. What do you guys think?

We still need to decide what happens if a match doesn't get played, if a player becomes unreachable, or whatever. If we set a deadline for the matches to be finished, what happens if people don't make the deadline?

Here are the people I have signed up so far:

Qikz
Wunder
Sonyx
ChaosJoe
DerZuhalter
Profit
Renlya
Coolio

Is everybody okay with random seeds being assigned based on the sign up period? Remember, the first sign up period ends tonight at 8pm pacific time.

That's exactly what I think we should do. When the tournament officially begins all players will have X amount of days to finish there matches and send in the results.

The question is how many days do we allow? 7 days? 4 days? 2 days? I think it depends partly on how many people sign up.

If we only get like 12 sign ups then the window can be short, but if there's 20+ people then to make it fair I think we'd need a larger window.

If it helps maybe we can look at our expectations. Please comment on what I'm about to say next, I am by no means an authority. Maybe this is a silly way to think about it, but that's why I'm doing here, so YOU GUYS can tell us how you'd like the tournament to be run.

I think a reasonable expectation for someone who has signed up for a SC2 tournament on NeoGAF is to be able to play for at least 1hr 30min every day. I'd say that on average you could play 3 matches in that time. So if we want to do best 2 out of 3, that could run to 5 matches, so we should allow everyone at least 2 days to finish their match.

So I think it could be perfect if we want to do it over this weekend (or probably push it back to next weekend). If we get sign ups finished, I could post finalized brackets by Friday afternoon and make the deadline for round 1 matches Sunday night. That would give everybody Friday night to get with their opponent to schedule their match for the weekend, all day saturday and sunday for people to play, a whole week to finish the rest of the tournament, and then the finals could be on the weekend again. I think that's a good schedule, and then the sooner we finish sign ups the longer people will have to schedule their match. What do you guys think?

We still need to decide what happens if a match doesn't get played, if a player becomes unreachable, or whatever. If we set a deadline for the matches to be finished, what happens if people don't make the deadline?

Here are the people I have signed up so far:

Qikz
Wunder
Sonyx
ChaosJoe
DerZuhalter
Profit
Renlya
Coolio

Is everybody okay with random seeds being assigned based on the sign up period? Remember, the first sign up period ends tonight at 8pm pacific time.

Well we have the round of 8 right there.

Lets avoid Mirrors if possible and glhf to everyone.

pompidu

im still on wol but anyone know the best resource for protoss builds and hotkeys? am i terrible at this game but i would like to get better and im not sure where to begin looking.

Ketch

The more you play the more important knowing the game time will become. It's better to turn it on now so you can start getting used to it. A simple example would be: if you typically get your expansion around 5 minutes, then the one time you don't get your expansion until 630 you'll know you are way behind.

Might not seem important, but if you turn on the timer now you'll just automatically learn those things as you play and you'll have a bunch better sense of the game.

fatty

any particular reason why to have the gane time on?

It can help when working on your build (i.e. take an expansion at the 5:00 mark). Also helps to know when to expect a certain timing attack (i.e. cloaked banshees possible at ~ 8:00 or whatever the actual time is).

xmShake

Neo Member
any particular reason why to have the gane time on?

Game time is critical when scouting and reacting to enemy builds. For example, knowing proxy oracle comes around 5:20 means that you would start building your engineering bay around 4:45 and turrets immediately afterwards so you're prepared for it before it comes, greatly minimizing the damage dealt.

When your scouting, you can also look for things that are usually there by a certain time and that can tip you off greatly to what your opponent is doing. For instance, if a protoss player hasn't taken his natural by 5:20 in TvP he is almost certainly doing some sort of cheese.

Top Bottom