• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Do you think it could mean the player pool is getting smaller?

Anyone have hard numbers on this type of stuff? How many players were on WoL before HotS came out?

Apparently masters has been too big in HoTS so far, something like 8% of the playerbase instead of 2%. A lot of people think Blizzard have now corrected this. Not that it's any of my concern :/
HoTS concurrents are still much higher than at the end of WoL, not that that's saying much.

This swarmhost/nydus build versus P is sweet and pretty OP at gold level. Unless they mass voids, in which case i'd be dead anyway so it doesn't matter. try it just once ketch!

Chris R

Going to play some T and Z unranked tonight to see if I should switch away from protoss. I just don't like using sentries but I'm at the point where if I don't use sentries with perfect sim city I'm losing to Z and Ts now if I try to play a macro game and not just a 4 gate :( I know I could just practice and get better at it but I could just also practice other races :p

profit

haha, thanks, hoping that the sp is fun at least

tymanty!
måste klara sp innan tisdag! sedan ska jag va borta i 3 veckor minst, får bli lite mp efter det

is there a gaf clan or something you can join? edit: i guess there is!

EU I guess? I'll throw you an invite (or someone else who can) when I see you online.
Just join the regular group first.

O_O

WTTTTTTTTTTTTFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!!!!!!!

Guys this is huge. Take about changing the game completely! This is insanity. o_O O_O o_O

BO1?!?!??!?!?!?! In RO 32?!!?!?!?!??!?! I have no words for this.

I expect a ton of Protoss in the RO 16 in OSL league.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
O_O

Guys this is huge. Take about changing the game completely! This is insanity. o_O O_O o_O

Welcome to OSL in charge of WCS for season 2 :/

StayDead

Compared to WoL the better player will pretty much always win in HoTS. There's not even any doubting it. If someone gets cheesed out for playing greedy, well I'm sorry they're not the best player on the day.

People are so scared of change with HoTS because WoL was such a bad game in terms of balance/coin flippyness that I don't think people know how to react to anything different anymore. Formats, maps, players, if anything changes then all of a sudden it's bad or doesn't work, without anyone ever bothering to try. Bo1 is perfect for Starcraft and it's perfect for HoTS. If you can't win a Bo1 and you lose to cheese, you better get practicing.

All the people complaining about Bo1 really have no right too, it's a better format to have as it encourages safer play in the long run and atleast in HoTS the best player will win more often than not. The GSL format is total balls really, I've never liked it but I had to put up with it because WoL was so bad.

sixghost

O_O

This is essentially the same format they used in Brood War for 8 years, what's wrong with it? It's not lose one game and you're out, it's the win 2 games and you qualify format, they just aren't doing bo3's for each match.

This is essentially the same format they used in Brood War for 8 years, what's wrong with it? It's not lose one game and you're out, it's the win 2 games and you qualify format, they just aren't doing bo3's for each match.

Well I'm a SC2 player so this is a new ball game for me.

I dunno if it will really work out the way you guys or OSL thinks it will now that its SC2: HOTS and not BW.

Of course if I'm wrong then all the more fun with BO1.

I doubt cheesing will disappear but lets just see how group 1 goes.

BTW if you lose 2 matches, you are out of the group?

Wunder

Some Starleagues/Qualifiers were scary coz those were single elim or a staggered bracket where you'd have to win like 5 Bo1s in a row and if you lost one you'd be out. But I agree with StayDead/Sixghost, WoL was woefully shitty compared to HotS. Should allow OSL to take another shot at Bo1 formats. Look at Proleague! No really, please look at Proleague they need more viewers ;;

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MKP streaming again! Watch this genius play, please!

http://www.twitch.tv/marinekingprime

m0rsDYf.jpg

suko_32

Anyone else get sent back down to Plat? I did and I am playing against people in Plat that were Masters last season.

My friend who was Diamond last season got placed into gold lol. The funnier thing is he lost to a silver in zvz and telling me "It was such a good all in!." He got so mad that he left the league even though he knew it made no difference, and it didn't when he played another.

StayDead

This season has been a total joke for me.

Back in diamond which I don't mind, since I never got super high in masters. 41% win rate overall though.

54% against Toss of all the races. 0% against Terran as in 35 games I've not met a single Terran at all and only 22% against Zerg. I just cannot seem to win late game against Zerg and it's quite annoying.

sixghost

Well I'm a SC2 player so this is a new ball game for me.

I dunno if it will really work out the way you guys or OSL thinks it will now that its SC2: HOTS and not BW.

Of course if I'm wrong then all the more fun with BO1.

I doubt cheesing will disappear but lets just see how group 1 goes.

BTW if you lose 2 matches, you are out of the group?
It's the same as the way GOM runs groups, just Bo1 instead of Bo3. Winner plays winner, loser plays loser, then the loser of the winner's match and winner of the loser's match play. Win 2 games and you're through, lose two and you're out.

I do kind of agree with you though. There were always two major starleagues running in BW, so if a favorite got cheesed out of the OSL group stages, they were still in the MSL. I hate how WCS is the only Korean starleague now.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
I like osl but it's stupid to have the system constantly change for same tournament depending on who hosts.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Have we got a confirmation why people were getting demoted left and right?

Wunder

newpatchnewpatchnewpatch

I think the Banshee buff might be too much in TvT and would bring back the Banshee v Banshee days of two players microing intensely on two fronts, which is kinda cool but also gets stale fast. This could present some weird RPS scenario of Marine/Tank > Banshee Opening > Hellbat > Marine/Tank ? idk

The Warp Prism buff is cool but it might be too intense? I can't really say, but they are now the speed as corruptors and faster than vikings which means that both races will have a really hard time trying to kill them. They are also faster than Queens on creep!

Hellbat nerf was quite needed, TvT was getting a bit ridiculous and I'm sure Zergs and Protoss appreciate it too.

newpatchnewpatchnewpatch

I think the Banshee buff might be too much in TvT and would bring back the Banshee v Banshee days of two players microing intensely on two fronts, which is kinda cool but also gets stale fast. This could present some weird RPS scenario of Marine/Tank > Banshee Opening > Hellbat > Marine/Tank ? idk

The Warp Prism buff is cool but it might be too intense? I can't really say, but they are now the speed as corruptors and faster than vikings which means that both races will have a really hard time trying to kill them. They are also faster than Queens on creep!

Hellbat nerf was quite needed, TvT was getting a bit ridiculous and I'm sure Zergs and Protoss appreciate it too.

Glad to see hellbat openings go. It's going to be annoying to have to get a tech lab to research blue flame against protoss, but at least it won't hurt the matchup.

I like the banshee change a lot. It rewards better players given the difficulty of using the unit effectively. I don't see tvt turning into banshee wars again because widow mines are so strong against them when placed well. Marine/tank/banshee openings are going to be commonplace, and the 111 contain might make a return in tvp.

I really don't understand the warp prism change, but at least it's not as extreme as the last balance test.

Zen

Banned
So many people on my friends list got demoted to diamond.

I got demoted to Diamond, in fact so did every single masters play on my at capacity friends list. so Far only one of them has gotten re-promoted and I'm playing at high diamond with 55-60% winrate. It's pretty weird.

DreamHack Summer 2013 starts in a little under 3 hours!

OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591026

Catching some of the games. This 1st day has been boring though. No real upsets and the breaks are just too long considering the quality of games we're getting (plus it's midnight here now).

Might tune in for a little more tomorrow.

It's the same as the way GOM runs groups, just Bo1 instead of Bo3. Winner plays winner, loser plays loser, then the loser of the winner's match and winner of the loser's match play. Win 2 games and you're through, lose two and you're out.

I do kind of agree with you though. There were always two major starleagues running in BW, so if a favorite got cheesed out of the OSL group stages, they were still in the MSL. I hate how WCS is the only Korean starleague now.

I hate the OSL system and i much prefer how GOM does things with the GSL but ultimately the issue is that there is now only one tournament in Korea which is a joke. Firstly this WCS tournament should be more streamlined. All the tournaments should stick to the same format with the same maps for it to be fair really.

This whole switching between the OSL and GSL seems to be an attempt to appease both parties when in reality i don't see how either can be happy with. I hope they can come up with a solution because it's going to be incredibly disappointing if this is the future of SC2 in Korea.

Syf

Banned
The wait time between matches across all SC2 competitions is pretty terrible. You can't just throw up a static screen with music playing in the background and expect people to stick around. The WCS finals were bad for this. I was watching the stream with a couple friends and we just ended up getting bored because the wait times were nearly as long as the matches themselves and there was nothing in place to entertain us, just a static screen. We found our own entertainment in the form of rum but that's beside the point..

(._.)

Banned
Does anybody else want to see StarCraft and other highly competitive games slowly separated from the "video game" scene? Like ideally I want it removed from. I don't even play or follow traditional single or multiplayer games anymore but I still have interest in games like StarCraft and Quake. It's just sorta annoying to explain to people (as goofy as this sounds) that I look at following and playing these games more like poker, chess or basketball than playing Mario or Call of Duty.

Wunder

Does anybody else want to see StarCraft and other highly competitive games slowly separated from the "video game" scene? Like ideally I want it removed from. I don't even play or follow traditional single or multiplayer games anymore but I still have interest in games like StarCraft and Quake. It's just sorta annoying to explain to people (as goofy as this sounds) that I look at following and playing these games more like poker, chess or basketball than playing Mario or Call of Duty.

Yeah, it's getting to that point for me as well. However it'll take at least a good couple of years before I can actually say this isn't just a video game I've been following for a while.

Yoshichan

DREAMHAAAACK!!!

Where mah fellow SWEGAFers at?! Hook me up! I'm the one running around with Yoshi-plushies and wearing a custom made Yoshi-tshirt!

Peace!!!

The wait time between matches across all SC2 competitions is pretty terrible. You can't just throw up a static screen with music playing in the background and expect people to stick around. The WCS finals were bad for this. I was watching the stream with a couple friends and we just ended up getting bored because the wait times were nearly as long as the matches themselves and there was nothing in place to entertain us, just a static screen. We found our own entertainment in the form of rum but that's beside the point..

I've been saying this for a long time. I don't understand how this became standard for SC2 competitions.

FluxWaveZ

Right now I'm practicing to improve the number of workers I create and my APM and its going pretty eh right now lol

Aiming specifically to improve one's APM is a waste of time. APM increases naturally as one gets better at the game and becomes increasingly aware of everything they should be doing at a given moment.

Ketch

Right now I'm practicing to improve the number of workers I create and my APM and its going pretty eh right now lol

Are you new to the game? Have you watched FilterSC's Bronze to Masters series on youtube? (We need to add this to the OP)

Top Bottom