• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Syf

Banned
I've been saying this for a long time. I don't understand how this became standard for SC2 competitions.
Right? I mean, why not even play some highlight reels or community content in between matches at least? It can't be that hard to set up something remotely interesting for people to view. Guaranteed if they put some effort into production like this they'd see an overall increase in viewership.

Zen

Banned
fuck that, switching this shit now

Protoss is op, too many all ins. Voids needs nerf

Vipers and roach needs nerf

Terran is underpowered and needs buffs, especially for BIO and thors

Go!

Terran is the race of doing risky bullshit all through the early and mid game until you might win if you play perfectly and the toss is already put behind from some of your risky bullshit actually working in the early/mid game. provided the Toss doesn't do one of his million early game cheeses and just kills you then and there.

Right? I mean, why not even play some highlight reels or community content in between matches at least? It can't be that hard to set up something remotely interesting for people to view. Guaranteed if they put some effort into production like this they'd see an overall increase in viewership.

They would for sure, i hate trying to introduce new players to SC2 because this is always the complaint i get. It especially sucks at a tournament at dreamhack where you don't get to see most of the matches and there are still huge breaks in play.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I've been saying this for a long time. I don't understand how this became standard for SC2 competitions.
Running live tournaments is very difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if a vast majority of things were done or green lit last minute.

That said I do think at the very least there should be some video content backlogged to be shown, but that's hours of work to be approved by some higher up (Copyrighted music, anything inappropriate, does it meet 'brand' standards, etc.)

MLG at events has had decent filler content.

Mairu

The wait time between matches across all SC2 competitions is pretty terrible. You can't just throw up a static screen with music playing in the background and expect people to stick around. The WCS finals were bad for this. I was watching the stream with a couple friends and we just ended up getting bored because the wait times were nearly as long as the matches themselves and there was nothing in place to entertain us, just a static screen. We found our own entertainment in the form of rum but that's beside the point..

WCS' problem was that they had amazing filler content, they just had it timed poorly. If the second stream's interviews and guest appearances happened in between games rather than being done at the same time as the games it would've been fantastic - though we then would've missed out on a lot of amusing commentary and such...

Running live tournaments is very difficult. I wouldn't be surprised if a vast majority of things were done or green lit last minute.

:/ is that really the excuse? That running a tournament is difficult? I'd say incompetence is a better word to describe tournaments having hour long breaks.

Won

Hour long breaks are a result of 14 hour long work days. That stuff is still run by human beings after all.
And Dreamhack has enough streams to fill in the gaps.

Hour long breaks are a result of 14 hour long work days. That stuff is still run by human beings after all.
And Dreamhack has enough streams to fill in the gaps.

The 14 hour long days aren't a good thing either imo. It's not like 14 hour long days are the only ones where you get massive breaks like that so that isn't a legitimate excuse.

The problem isn't human error but bad scheduling. You see it in pretty much all SC2 tournaments. MLG, NASL, proleague, dreamhack you name it and you get ridiculously long breaks with no content to fill it.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
15 minutes till tournaments continue right? I want to rest my eyes infront of a big screen!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
As toss, what's the best way of handling hellbat drops?

Ketch

Ugh fair enough, thanks!

I got destroyed by hellbat drops the last time I played, and I even scouted starport/factory with reactor. My plan for next time is to build spore crawlers and then rush to muta.

So maybe you can do cannons and then sky toss? Phoenix would probably be nice to take down medivacs or also to lift the hellbats.

Yoshichan

I got destroyed by hellbat drops the last time I played, and I even scouted starport/factory with reactor. My plan for next time is to build spore crawlers and then rush to muta.

So maybe you can do cannons and then sky toss? Phoenix would probably be nice to take down medivacs or also to lift the hellbats.
Not a bad idea I think! Thanks!

Ketch

anyone have a good build for roach/bane bust vs terran? I thought I saw one with 4:25 gas timing, but now I can't find it...

sixghost

anyone have a good build for roach/bane bust vs terran? I thought I saw one with 4:25 gas timing, but now I can't find it...

15hatch
16gas
16pool
speed with first 100 gas
build roach warren/bane nest at the same time
drone until you have 3 gas and 29-32 drones on minerals and 3 on each gas
make 8 or 9 roaches, then nothing but lings
rally lings outside of Ts, nat, morph to bane, crush and reinforce with speedlings

I don't remember the exact timings on the 2nd/3rd gas and the two tech structures, it's been a while since I played. The roach warren should finish right when your injects pop, if that helps. Don't let the T scout the baneling nest, although roaches after a speedling opening is fairly suspicious, most terrans are extremely greedy.

It's a great build. The speedling reinforcements are the thing that makes it really dangerous. Roach/bane busts without speedlings lose steam extremely quickly after the initial bust. The speedlings mean they cant just make 3 marauders and reclaim their nat.
As toss, what's the best way of handling hellbat drops?

From watching Artosis' stream, it seems like good building placement on the edges of your base, quick reactions on running the probes, and remembering to target the medivac is all you can do. A cannon in each min line helps clean up the hellbats after the probes run away. Using location hotkeys help a ton when you are constantly running probes back and forth. Grab all the probes at the base being harassed, press the location hotkey for your other base (this wont deselect all the probes like double tapping the other nexus' hotkey will) then click the min line at that base.

Quick tip, put Roaches up front to attack and tank the WM hits. This one Zerg tried to send his banelings first to break my defense so I just attack clicked on his banes with my WMs and that was a failed attack lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
:/ is that really the excuse? That running a tournament is difficult? I'd say incompetence is a better word to describe tournaments having hour long breaks.
It's not, just things can get into a clusterfuck if not planned.
They should be planned, because I sure hope they understand that having breaks that long is bad. For better or for worse match content is still king over anything else I'd be watching.

I really don't care much for filler content except for player interviews. I'd wonder how much time/money it would be for 2-4 hours of good filler content, which is probably another reason you don't see it that much.

It's not, just things can get into a clusterfuck if not planned.
They should be planned, because I sure hope they understand that having breaks that long is bad. For better or for worse match content is still king over anything else I'd be watching.

I really don't care much for filler content except for player interviews. I'd wonder how much time/money it would be for 2-4 hours of good filler content, which is probably another reason you don't see it that much.

Speaking of good planning Lucifron vs Dayshi has just started on some random stream. Meanwhile the main stream is showing nothing but ads.

We wouldn't want anyone to actually watch the tournament now would we.

Just for the record i hate filler content, i just don't think there needs to be so much downtime in general.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Speaking of good planning Lucifron vs Dayshi has just started on some random stream. Meanwhile the main stream is showing nothing but ads.

We wouldn't want anyone to actually watch the tournament now would we.

Just for the record i hate filler content, i just don't think there needs to be so much downtime in general.
I also heard some games are just not casted, and some have 10 observers in them.
Why

I also heard some games are just not casted, and some have 10 observers in them.
Why

Not quite sure. I could understand if they just favored the bigger matchups but some of the games which have been shafted have been really popular players. Games involving big players like Naniwa that you have to search for on some random stream if its casted at all.

Ketch

Oh dear me, I need to start playing more.... I'm just getting overrun by my opponents on the ladder.

I'm gonna PM you, so we can schedule some practice matches.

edit: stupid time zones suck.

If you're BST then we can't play until 11:30 pm your time. =(

profit

Anyone else catch the Dreamhack final?
So good to see a Protoss champ again.

"Too bad I wont be able to watch the finals, oh well I'll watch them while I'm at work; I wont be going on reddit or TL before then so I wont get spoiled".

*arrives at work*

"Lets see what my favorite Gaffers are up to in my favorite thread"

*DH finals spoiler*

Come on son....

jersoc

Starleague starts now. Tasteosis casting for GOM. I'm guessing Doa and that other guy will be OGN.

was just coming here to ask, this is code S, yes?

All this shit is vastly confusing and I can't find any info what is going. Bit confused because they said this is best of 1 now. da fuck?

Wunder

was just coming here to ask, this is code S, yes?

All this shit is vastly confusing and I can't find any info what is going. Bit confused because they said this is best of 1 now. da fuck?

Yup, this is the opening day - Group A&B Dual Tournament format with the games being Bo1.

Ketch that 7 min roach rush is pretty good unless they already have a couple of well positioned tanks.

here are some quite simple roach bane build orders from lowko. You might find the guy a bit annoying but the build is set out nicely enough. The second of the two is the easiest as it's just off two bases.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgc7tgPN3lg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sq7Yj3kSm5Y

SamuraiX-

Nice! Looking forward to the NASL team hosting. Those guys are fun. :D

Also, I can take care of the HomeStory Cup VII thread if nobody is already doing it.

Syf

Banned
Super excited about the NASL WCS news. We won't have to listen to Axslav make even the most exciting matches boring. :D

Always loved the NASL production more than MLG.

SamuraiX-

Here's all the confirmed players for the MLG Spring Championship...

0NUk8Au.png

-______________-

It could be worse, but at least this gives some of the lower tier players more hopes for making a name for themselves.

Top Bottom