• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Oh man every time i watch OSL it gets worse. Are they just trolling with this format? I could actually watch the best of 1s but i think i'm going to skip this round. Showing one match from each group is like the ultimate way to kill the hype. Bring back the GSL this is garbage.

StayDead

Oh man every time i watch OSL it gets worse. Are they just trolling with this format? I could actually watch the best of 1s but i think i'm going to skip this round. Showing one match from each group is like the ultimate way to kill the hype. Bring back the GSL this is garbage.

hahaha what the hell.

This is so much better than the GSL's format. I'd much rather have games where people can properly prepare strategies for each other rather than the standard ass games that players are forced to play when they have to play 5 games in a row.

OSL's format so far has been far and away the best possible format.

Syf

Banned
The only problem I've had with OSL this season was the best-of-one format for the first stage. I'm fine with the way they're handling the Ro16.

RayStorm

This is so much better than the GSL's format.

No, the Ro32 was horrible. I completely ignored it, they might as well have had a big coin flip contest, that would have held the same amount of interest for me.

With the Ro16 however I'm okay. I think I very slightly prefer it to the GSL way.

StayDead

Am I the only person who actually prefers Bo1? I find it a lot better when the players only have one match to make their mark as it usually leads to them preparing a hell of a lot more for the specific people.

Bo1 isn't nearly as coinflippy as people make it out to be in SC2. It's another one of those stupid myths that propegated with no physical evidence at all and are now thrown around the starcraft community like gosopel. It's stupid.

Also all the players that deserved too/the best players came out of the Ro32.

RayStorm

Why do you think that a Bo1 would allow a player to better prepare for his opponent than a Bo3 or Bo5?

Due to the different maps and races I do think that a Bo1 is not a good way to truly see the better player advance. If there was a hypothetical perfectly balanced map and perfectly balanced races, I could believe that SC2 was not too random for a Bo1, but as it is now, it does not appear that way.

I also do like my 3+ hours of Starcraft without half the time being pauses while players set up.

Wunder

Am I the only person who actually prefers Bo1? I find it a lot better when the players only have one match to make their mark as it usually leads to them preparing a hell of a lot more for the specific people.

Bo1 isn't nearly as coinflippy as people make it out to be in SC2. It's another one of those stupid myths that propegated with no physical evidence at all and are now thrown around the starcraft community like gosopel. It's stupid.

Also all the players that deserved too/the best players came out of the Ro32.

In WoL Bo1 was quite volatile and could produce upsets. That was mainly due to the coin-flippy nature of PvP and ZvZ in the early days of WoL. People were turned off by it instantly and SC2 had the reputation of being terrible compared to BW because it was so 'random'.

Anyway, Bo1 in BW was dope because of the crazy cheeses that people prepared - that was kind of the point of a 'prepared' build, I guess? It made for exciting games where the clearly better player barely defended the cheese and started the game at a disadvantage and slowly crawled back. I'm happy OSL gave Bo1 another shot in HotS where the mirrors are more stable and not always about a BO win 100% of the time.

Ketch

Two questions

Roach vs speedling, what's the better upgrade for the roaches? Attack or armor?

And do corruptors counter Muta?

V_Arnold

Two questions

Roach vs speedling, what's the better upgrade for the roaches? Attack or armor?

And do corruptors counter Muta?

Corruptors do not counter muta, but a muta+corruptor army should win against a pure muta one, with proper micro.

As for roaches, I suppose that they two-shot lings with +1, but realistically, armor is better for them as it is quite a decrease per ling - and more than one ling can attack the roaches. In small numbers (6-7 roaches vs 20-25 lings, etc), I'd say it is armor that is better, but as the game goes on, attack becomes just as important.

Playing in WCS US quals today. Should be fun.

Good luck to you!

SamuraiX-

Yeah I got roflstomped by FXOlucky haha. He is really fucking good.

Damn, better luck next time!

Looking through the bracket, there are quite a few big names:
  • Axiom.Heart (started in Premier League last season in WCS AM, ended up getting knocked all the way out of Challenger League)
  • Liquid.Zenio (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • KT.hitmaN (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • STX.Mini (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • WW.Sting (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • coL.qxc (failed to qualify for WCS AM last season, going for it again this season)
  • FXO.Lucky (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • IM.ByuL (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • ST.Sound (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • Qntc.HyuN (knocked out of Premier League in WCS KR last season, forfeited his spot in Challenger League and transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • KawaiiRice (???)
  • Qntc.Center (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • Clarity.Dragon
  • STX.Comet (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • NSH.Tassadar
  • Liquid.Tyler
  • FXO.Choya

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Gj anyway EJ!

hahaha what the hell.

This is so much better than the GSL's format. I'd much rather have games where people can properly prepare strategies for each other rather than the standard ass games that players are forced to play when they have to play 5 games in a row.

It's not just the coin flippy nature of BO1's that i hate, it's also that it means we get far less games. I also think if you want to give players a chance to prepare for each other there needs to be more than one map played (especially when they aren't all balanced).

As i said in the other thread if the purpose of this second round is to give people time to prepare why the fuck do they even have a group stage? They should have just cut that out and go straight to the RO8 format where you just face one player and have all the time you want to prepare for them.

As it is the games we saw yesterday are meaningless. No one went through, no one got knocked out and we have to wait for like a week to find any actual results. There is no hype for yesterdays games because they mean absolutely nothing. A group like the terran group of death should be fucking exciting as hell (like the group of death last season). I guarantee that the viewers this season don't even come close to that group because of this format.

The whole point of having the group stages at the beginning is to have something slightly different than the later rounds. The later rounds it's 1v1 and you get all the time in the world to prepare for each other. The earlier stages you have to prepare for multiple people which takes a different skillset. I have no problem with a tournament that doesn't like the latter and instead focuses on giving players prep time but the OSL doesn't really achieve either.

Edit: I wouldn't really be complaining if the GSL and OSL were 2 separate tournaments but the truth is they're not. OSL and GSL run at the expense of the other. The WCS format sucks whether you're a GSL fan or an OSL fan. You basically end up getting less of the tournament you like. I'm still not sold on the WCS format. It has definitely made the scene in Korea worse (imo), i'm still not sure about the foreign market yet but i don't like where things are headed (less live tournaments more focus on WCS). Maybe if the EU and NA WCS tournaments actually reach the same quality as the GSL/OSL instead of looking like an amateur tournament i would change my tune on that one.

Damn, better luck next time!

Looking through the bracket, there are quite a few big names:
  • Axiom.Heart (started in Premier League last season in WCS AM, ended up getting knocked all the way out of Challenger League)
  • Liquid.Zenio (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • KT.hitmaN (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • STX.Mini (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • WW.Sting (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • coL.qxc (failed to qualify for WCS AM last season, going for it again this season)
  • FXO.Lucky (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • IM.ByuL (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • ST.Sound (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • Qntc.HyuN (knocked out of Premier League in WCS KR last season, forfeited his spot in Challenger League and transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • KawaiiRice (???)
  • Qntc.Center (knocked out of Challenger League in WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • Clarity.Dragon
  • STX.Comet (failed to qualify for WCS KR last season, transferred to WCS AM this season)
  • NSH.Tassadar
  • Liquid.Tyler
  • FXO.Choya

WTF is Choya doing? lol

Lots of Koreans looking for an easy championship. They might be in for a surprise as former Code S players are already in Premier league aka Taeja, Polt, Nestea and others.

GG WP Escaping Jail, better luck next time. :)

Ketch

Playing in WCS US quals today. Should be fun.

Oh man, I missed all this news!

Well, Good going anyway. EJ all the way! sorry I missed it, I'll watch the replays later on.

Why is it so damn hard to find the damn VODs for WCS? So aggravating... Just link to them from the WCS portal already for fucks sake.

Ketch

In huskies last video he said that in order to compensate for not being able to get demoted during league play they've made it harder to get promoted to begin with... so that's probably the only reason I'm still in gold.

not my fault.

StayDead

No one went through, no one got knocked out and we have to wait for like a week to find any actual results. There is no hype for yesterdays games because they mean absolutely nothing.

That's not true at all. They still mean a lot. Just because you have to wait until tomorrow to get another game doesn't mean there's no hype. Are you Khaldor? You're pretty much just recycling his opinion and it's ridiculous.

Wunder

That's not true at all. They still mean a lot. Just because you have to wait until tomorrow to get another game doesn't mean there's no hype. Are you Khaldor? You're pretty much just recycling his opinion and it's ridiculous.

Khaldor is so silly

Q8D3vil

I mean pro's, i was filtering sc2 stream in tl without realizing it.
Anyway, jut hit plat but i need to learn how to play hots (still playing at like a wol :/ )

StayDead

Khaldor is so silly

I hate Khaldor so much, he seems to walk around with this air of utter self importance and it gets on my nerves. Anyone who's opinion differs slightly from his gets insulted as well, I once asked him a question on twitter and when he said the reason he didn't want mech to ever work is "it was boring" when I asked him why it was boring he told me to fuck off.

Wunder

I hate Khaldor so much, he seems to walk around with this air of utter self importance and it gets on my nerves. Anyone who's opinion differs slightly from his gets insulted as well, I once asked him a question on twitter and when he said the reason he didn't want mech to ever work is "it was boring" when I asked him why it was boring he told me to fuck off.

god please add me on steam/sc2 so we can bash Khaldor. I agree completely on the air of superiority surrounding him. Sure, he's done a lot for someone who speaks English as their 2nd/3rd language to move to Korea and make a living there, but god damn. Doesn't help that he's super defensive and homophobic at the same time.

He used to be my favorite caster during his start and I kept telling people to watch Khaldor grow into a fantastic caster. I now loathe him to no end.

zargle

If you neuraled a mothership core, could you cast recall on zerg units? Could you go to a Protoss base or a zerg base?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I just double widow mine dropped a terran, his main and natural,simultaniously. He left the game the second a hit got off. I got a message later saying "nice abusive strategy"' followed up with the most racist combination of words I've ever experienced online.

Damn.

SamuraiX-

I just double widow mine dropped a terran, his main and natural,simultaniously. He left the game the second a hit got off. I got a message later saying "nice abusive strategy"' followed up with the most racist combination of words I've ever experienced online.

Damn.

Rofl

Not even Hellbat drops. What a clown.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you

Damn.
Hey ... what I say to you on bnet is private!

Yoshichan

Yo d3vil, why you be ignoring me bro?!

god please add me on steam/sc2 so we can bash Khaldor. I agree completely on the air of superiority surrounding him. Sure, he's done a lot for someone who speaks English as their 2nd/3rd language to move to Korea and make a living there, but god damn. Doesn't help that he's super defensive and homophobic at the same time.

He used to be my favorite caster during his start and I kept telling people to watch Khaldor grow into a fantastic caster. I now loathe him to no end.

I didn't know the bold part o_O!

SamuraiX-

Had no idea about all this stuff surrounding Khaldor... I've kinda felt it from watching his casting but it was really subtle. I've always thought he was awesome.

I'm sad now. :-(

Top Bottom