• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

i find it strange how gamers *never* give companies the benefit of the doubt

What do you even mean by this? What benefit of the doubt should we be giving them? They have had ample time to avoid this problem. Their press release does nothing to make me think of them any differently. Either it was a complete lack of foresight and planning on their behalf or they are genuinely trying to hurt the DOTA2 tournament in which case they have lost the plot.

The end result is that yet again the SC2 scene gets fucked over.

The value Valve has added to DOTA 2 and it's tournaments and direct financial support and promotion and prize money for teams completely eclipses Blizzard's shitty and thrown together WCS.

Spectator is stupidly amazing, all eSports stuff is right in the client, purchases for teams are visible and support them, you get fucking player cards as loot drops, this thing: http://www.dota2.com/international/compendium/

International 2:
b10IdMq.png

...and International 3 has 2.6M+ as a prizepool (vs. 1.6M) with an obvious focus on eSports.

No question about it. I might even give the MOBA genre another chance at this point, it would be nice to follow a game where the dev actually tries to make the game a success.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
The value Valve has added to DOTA 2 and it's tournaments and direct financial support and promotion and prize money for teams completely eclipses Blizzard's shitty and thrown together WCS.
and they never have to worry about two events happening at the same time either!

SamuraiX-

• Revival
  • Jaedong
  • aLive
  • HerO
This is seriously the best they could pull from the WCS rankings for IEM Shanghai?

All of these guys are in WCS America. What a fucking joke.

• Revival
  • Jaedong
  • aLive
  • HerO
This is seriously the best they could pull from the WCS rankings for IEM Shanghai?

Doesn't really bother me. They're 4 decent Koreans and i care more about the foreigner line-up anyway. You can pick any decently high ranked Korean and get good matches but if the foreigner line-up is poor the tournament usually suffers.

Boken

Banned
What do you even mean by this? What benefit of the doubt should we be giving them? They have had ample time to avoid this problem. Their press release does nothing to make me think of them any differently. Either it was a complete lack of foresight and planning on their behalf or they are genuinely trying to hurt the DOTA2 tournament in which case they have lost the plot.

The end result is that yet again the SC2 scene gets fucked over.
To me, malicious intent is worse than stupidity. I'm giving blizzard the benefit of the doubt that they just fucked up instead of assuming that they did this purely to mess with Dota.

Who are you, then?
A moba superstar

To me, malicious intent is worse than stupidity. I'm giving blizzard the benefit of the doubt that they just fucked up instead of assuming that they did this purely to mess with Dota.

As an SC2 fan the end result is the same for me and that is the SC2 scene constantly being held back by blizzards stupid moves.

a3den

As an SC2 fan the end result is the same for me and that is the SC2 scene constantly being held back by blizzards stupid moves.

It's bad but you gotta realize their hands are tied to their regional partners, NASL has World of Tanks imperatives as well as delays for the chinese players visas, South Korea is a mess and ESL probably wants the EU finals at Gamescom for the crowd and exposure.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Mess with Dota?
TI3 is 50000% bigger and better than any shitty 'regional' finals. Full on unpreparedness.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
Dota isn't even worth messing with, it barely even exists outside of the charity tournaments valve runs. Maybe if dota ever becomes a real esport it'd be worth messing with, but until then i doubt any real esports even considers them when it comes to planning events.

ksan

Dota isn't even worth messing with, it barely even exists outside of the charity tournaments valve runs. Maybe if dota ever becomes a real esport it'd be worth messing with, but until then i doubt any real esports even considers them when it comes to planning events.

What do you know about esports? You play SC2 and LoL...

Did you pick up CoD already as well?

:*

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
What do you know about esports? You play SC2 and LoL...

Did you pick up CoD already as well?
hey! i play fighting games too.

so that means i play the biggest esport, the best esports and starcraft.

If i wanted to play some niche esport supported only by it's dev, i'd go back to tribes.

ksan

majour offline dota tournaments in north america:
The international 2.
upcoming:
the international 3.

#deadgame.

You're saying that as if NA is actually relevant in any game (or maybe they are in CoD?)

major offline tournaments (in all games) being broadcasted on national television in the greatest esport country in the world:
TI3
(and maybe dh finals in sc2 every now and then)

Boken

Banned
salt of the ocean going on in here

how many players does dota2 have in comparison to lol?

major offline tournaments (in all games) being broadcasted on national television in the greatest esport country in the world:
TI3
thats uniformed
STV has lol as well, and TV6 will probably broadcast lol world finals

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
You're saying that as if NA is actually relevant in any game (or maybe they are in CoD?)

TI3

NA is uncle moneybags. They don't need to be good, they just need to pay.

ksan

salt of the ocean going on in here
i thought if anyone, you would be able to detect the incredible seriousness of the discussion here, but if you don't stay out of it
how many players does dota2 have in comparison to lol?
viewers are the important part, i havent seen any lol tourney with 5 million viewers

thats uniformed
STV has lol as well, and TV6 will probably broadcast lol world finals

sorry, but communist channels don't really count and i havent seen lol on tv6 yet
NA is uncle moneybags. They don't need to be good, they just need to pay.

Then you should just be able to take after the koreans to become good, bribe refs and sheeet.

Boken

Banned
i thought if anyone, you would be able to detect the incredible seriousness of the discussion here, but if you don't stay out of it

viewers are the important part, i havent seen any lol tourney with 5 million viewers

sorry, but communist channels don't really count and i havent seen lol on tv6 yet

Then you should just be able to take after the koreans to become good, bribe refs and sheeet.

1. im allergic to salt. but i thought the ocean part wouldve made it obvious
HzA4Uo0.png
248 millon viewers. thats nearly a quarter the population of the world
3. scotland isnt communist, its a monarchy
4. wow, cheating isnt allowed

ksan

1. im allergic to salt. but i thought the ocean part wouldve made it obvious
2. http://i.imgur.com/HzA4Uo0.png[IMG] 248 millon viewers. thats nearly a quarter the population of the world
3. scotland isnt communist, its a monarchy
4. wow, cheating isnt allowed[/QUOTE]

1 to 4. #getgood

Wunder

It's also not a quarter of the world's population, but details, details.

For some reason I have recently found myself watching/listening to streams in German, mostly Take. I find it soothing. I do not speak or understand German, mind you.

I used to do that when Khaldor still casted in German occasionally, quite comforting and pretty hype.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
200 mil, a quarter of this planet? Haha

StayDead

• Revival
  • Jaedong
  • aLive
  • HerO

The other players especially the Korean ones are probably busy either practicing for the proleague finals or other things, not everyone can travel at any time.

SamuraiX-

Jesus, what happened in here?

Looks like NesTea is gonna be participating in the Red Bull Training Grounds 2 this weekend:

IEXeV1U.png

Which actually makes the list of competitors and potential matches very appealing!

6vFzDts.png

The TvZs and ZvZs are gonna be legit.

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
what worries me is how 243 million has rounded down to 200 million.

no wonder you swedes float so many resources.

Wunder

Hey now, i actually played an entire game of starcraft like two days ago. that puts me ahead of all these other guys!

I don't think I've played a 1v1 Starcraft match in weeks. I've launched SC2 and played customs tho! I only ever see EJ in the GAF channel, ladderin' away

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
what worries me is how 243 million has rounded down to 200 million.

no wonder you swedes float so many resources.
You have no idea man!

SamuraiX-

Some weird, pessimistic tweets coming from Jaedong and JYP today...

scnGIJw.png

dPjn5Qa.png

qc47qMG.png

B5dvxvZ.png

Wonder what's going on. :(

Guessing it must be EG-TL related. Disbanded or removed from Proleague altogether??

Yoshichan

Oh my God, wtf is going on

peakish

Very late to the party, but I've warmed my new PC up with finally playing through the WoL campaign. That sure was some heavy cheesecake, sooo bad at times. Christ, there's even prophesies and shit. Starting out the HotS campaign, it's a bit better so far since there's no nerdy scientist or unfunny news reporter in sight, missions are much better as well.

I'll delve into multiplayer more later on, guess there's not many newbs to play against in this thread though. FWIW, I'm toppform#2960 on EU if anyone wants to wreck me.

Yoshichan

guess there's not many newbs to play against in this thread though. FWIW, I'm toppform#2960 on EU if anyone wants to wreck me.
Oh there are plenty of "newb" players. SC2GAF ranges from bronze till high masters (soon to be GM!).

I'm toppform#2960 on EU if anyone wants to wreck me.
on EU if anyone wants to wreck me.
EU if anyone
Shit just got real, watch NA-SC2-GAF attack you and then go "See, told you EU is worse than NA!".

LONG LIVE EU, THE SUPERIOR, DOMINATING REGION.

Top Bottom