• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Syf

Banned
I completely agree with making the multiplayer portion of SC2 free to play with custom skins like Dota 2. Speaking from personal experience, I have a few friends who are curious about SC2 but don't want to commit the $80 for Wings and Heart, and I doubt that's a unique situation. I think making the multiplayer free to play would be great for the SC2 scene.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
What blizzard needs to do is make the multiplayer mode f2p while keeping the story behind a paywall. Look at dota2 and see how will cosmetic items do.

i've got this bad feeling that blizzard are just riding SC2 out now. there's a prestige thing in eSports, but i remember a conference call the year after SC2's release where they stated while it's making a profit, it probably wasn't worth the opportunity cost. i bet HotS sales weren't anything wild, either.

either way, they'll trot out the next expansion back with a cornball campaign and minor, conservative design adjustments, put a skeleton team on it to do janitorial/balance shitwork and maybe try some new sales model four years too late.

blizzard just aren't a reflexive company. they're dinosaurs.

i hope i'm wrong, esports is already 50% of the way to being shorthand for "competitive MOBA".

fanboi

Banned
Blizzard to do list:

• Make it free
  • Make custom skin you can buy and/or earn ingame
  • Make more eSport focuse, which means create custom leageus, cups etc ingame
  • Add stream ingame for major tournaments
  • The store should include stuff that are team and player related which you can buy to support said team
  • Built in client for betting and/or a betting company for WW games, would make the eSport scene 10x more professional

I just came up with these stuff in 2 min.

Also, don't be an ass regarding your own cups and no other cups can be held.

EDIT: Oh, they also need to focus on getting MORE players intrested in the game, above points does that, but they need to be ambassadors for the scene in general.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
fanboi gets it in 2 minutes.

Will Blizzard ever get it?

Zynx

Blizzard used to charge organizers to host tournaments, back when it was the only game in town. I've read somewhere that they don't anymore, probably because their bargaining position isn't close to as strong now.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Holy shit LOL I really loved this one
Yeah it was really funny :lol In my opinion when you attack move, your army shouldn't attack larvae! Looks so ridiculous!

Blizzard used to charge organizers to host tournaments, back when it was the only game in town. I've read somewhere that they don't anymore, probably because their bargaining position isn't close to as strong now.

Isn't that one of the main reasons MLG dropped SC2, because they still make them pay whereas riot pays them?

SamuraiX-

I just thought of something... what if Jaedong gets 2nd in WCS AM S3 and the WCS S3 Finals but then comes back and takes the championship at the BlizzCon Global Finals?

That'd be the sickest thing ever.

Yoshichan

Yoshichan

Super awesome Q&A.

Super awesome new units.

Super exciting expansion, might as well just beat the living crap out of BW.

LET'S GO, BLIZZARD!
A quote from Blizzcon 2011... damn.

Mairu

Winners of Proleague disbanding has to show how irrelevant SC2 Proleague is. One more season left?

Just merge Proleague and GSTL already

profit

Got put back into silver, guess that what happens when I went on a hiatus after a losing streak.
Guess I'll just have some fun untill I get promoted again.

First game, TvT.
Opponent goes CC first, I abandon my plans of going rax then CC, by going full on 3 rax with a CS push. He starts to float his buildings, I quickly build some vikings to hunt down his remaining buildings. He leaves without gg, I open a chat window, type gg and he replies with "fuck you! LAME!".

Good times, glad to be back SC!

Yoshichan

Glad to have you back!

Yoshichan

We still have not played any games yet Yoshibro!
I can whenever nowadays, I got myself a laptop (finally!) and a decent Internet connection :D No d/cs or crashes anymore!

Paches

In other cool news, I got this today in the mail from one of my inside connections:

2013-08-26_15-28-24_570.jpg

I am excite.

SamuraiX-

Upcoming Balance Patch (Overseer)

David Kim said:
Hello everyone,

We thought it would be good to give another update on balance.

We still believe TvZ late game is tough for Zerg right now, but we'd like to approach the fix/fixes in steps than going with big jumps that might potentially break other things.

Therefore, we'll be looking to push out the Overseer speed buff change, continue testing additional changes on the balance test map as needed, and we'll see how the Overseer speed buff change affects the game before making another call.

Another popular area you guys bring up these days and that we agree with is making mech more viable. We will continue testing the mech upgrades change, or other changes if needed, in order to really figure out what the best direction for mech is.

Thank you and please look forward to a balance patch soon with this change:

Overseer
The Pneumatized Carapace upgrade now increases Overseer movement speed from 1.88 to 3.375 (previously 1.88 to 2.75.)

TeamLiquid said:
Here are the small list what also it can change:

• Overseers now can escape Stalker following (old Overseer at 2.75 against 2.95 Stalker)
• Overseers now can escape Viking following (Viking is still 2.75 speed)
• Overseers now can follow Mutalisks 22% easier and faster
• Overseers also can follow more normally Roaches / Lings on creep
• Stimmarines can run at 3.375 speed, so it means that they will less shoot at escaping Overseer because there are small stop-pauses when Marine shoots

I really like it. I think this'll make Widow Mine sniping much easier for Zergs and hopefully should dry up some of their tears.

Paches

http://www.gamespot.com/news/starcraft-ii-player-innovation-to-sign-with-team-acer-6413684

Professional Korean StarCraft player Lee "INnoVation" Shin Hyung, currently signed to Korean team STX Soul under the Korean eSports Association (KeSPA), is expected to join Team Acer on September 1 when his current contract runs out, sources close to the situation tell GameSpot.

Team Acer has declined comment. KeSPA has not returned comment as of this posting (it is 4:30 AM in Korea), but I have requested comment on both Innovation's contract with STX in relation to Acer's signing, as well as the proposed financial problems of STX Soul.

Barring any unforeseen consequences from the announcement of the announcement by Acer, Innovation will continue to join the team when his STX Soul contract runs out.

Sources do not include Reddit, Fomos, or Acer's own teasers. My sources, for all my news/articles, come from informed individuals close to whatever situation is currently at hand, never second hand sources. If I were to take news from Reddit itself, I would cite so in the piece, and never claim that to be my 'source' as it's ridiculous. While Acer's teasers may have been pretty blatant, there was still some wiggle room for it to be another player, and also did not impact my story as a source.
I was writing this up as of last night (before all hell broke loose this morning). They did prompt me to get this out today (though KeSPA totally owned me).

Official. My God.

Ok, not really "official", but let us just say it is.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Damn, that's pretty wild.

Loving the 2 widow mine, 4 marine drop opening for Terran. Just did massive damage to a Protoss player. Killed many probes and denied sooooooo much mining time. Definitely my go-to opening against Protoss and Terran right now.

Syf

Banned
Acer must have made INnoVation a nice offer because I don't really get the move, money aside. Hope he keeps up his play. Or, based on more recent results, gets it back. It's great for Acer though; with Scarlett, MMA and INnoVation I know I'll be paying a lot more attention to them.

Paches

Acer must have made INnoVation a nice offer because I don't really get the move, money aside. Hope he keeps up his play. Or, based on more recent results, gets it back. It's great for Acer though; with Scarlett, MMA and INnoVation I know I'll be paying a lot more attention to them.

arab-money.gif

Zynx

Aylinato

Will be hosting a

GAF night-Wednesday. Be there, or get nerfed.

9pm EST
NA Server
Beating up on n00bs and taking names.

Team games to start off with! If enough people we can do in-house, maybe more than one team in random 4v4s (depending on how many we get)

SamuraiX-

Wild prediction #2: Kespa teams will join GSTL and GSTL/PL will alternate, the way OSL and GSL alternates.

God, I really hope not. I enjoy Proleague's format so much more than the way GSTL runs it. A unified league with a Proleague format would be awesome though.

Zynx

r u just reading korean message boards and calling them 'wild predictions'?

No, I don't understand Korean, but I was a big fan of the Korean scene before SC2 was introduced. Actually, sometimes I wish I did understand Korean, so I could write up a case study about how they fucked everything up. I don't really participate in this thread, so I understand if you're skeptical. But if you're wondering where the predictions come from, I'll give you my line of reasoning:

Prediction 1: STX (the company) is fucked, and everyone knows it. Furthermore, they're don't have a consumer-facing business like KT, SK telecom/group, Samsung, CJ, etc. and have no real business reason to be involved in PL in the first place. After all, PL is just a vehicle for companies to promote their products and services to an audience - there's no admission charge, not that much merchandising, etc. So once the season is over and they can recover their deposit, they're out - the creditors sure aren't going to let them spend money in this way. Only people who are ignorant about the situation would have expected the team to continue in its current form. Now Kespa has been running the sponsorless team 8 for ages, so it's not like there are many companies knocking down on their door looking to get involved. So when Jin Air shows up, it makes no sense for them to pick up team 8, when the team that was STX Soul also needs a sponsor and is performing much better. The only reason they would agree to take team 8 is if they could raid STX for their talent as well, otherwise they're a sucker who put their money into PL only to take the worst team.

Prediction 2: PL has been performing poorly in the domestic market for quite some time now, yet still bears most of the expensive cost structure from the days when it was a successful vehicle for companies like SKT, KT, CJ, and Samsung to promote their products to a large, young audience. They've already taken some desperate measures to try to revive the fanbase, but it hasn't been working, and now it's LoL that has the large, young audience nowadays. So those companies buy their way into that scene, and predictably, a LoL PL is being formed. So what do you do with the SC2 PL? Ideally, you'd just drop it like a rock to immediately eliminate all the expenses involved, but that does your reputation no good. So you try to reduce the cost burden as much as possible. The effects are already visible - lowered production values, shifted to less valuable timeslots, reduced salaries and team rosters, etc. Now, with the loss of more teams (will Woongjin survive?) and problems also plaguing teams involved in GSTL, it makes sense to merge the leagues, and both parties are desperate enough to consider it. Kespa even gets to slough off the cost of production to Gretech, who do have a reason to stay in the business because of all the international subscription revenue. Gretech also has an incentive to try their best to keep the esf teams alive even though most of them are running on fumes, because if the esf teams fall, Kespa will have Gretech by the balls for GSL, their moneymaker (even though Kespa themselves aren't in a good situation). But Kespa needs to pretend to give a shit about the entire SC/2 PL that they built, so they'll alternate holding a PL of their own along with GSTL, just like how OGN pretends to still give a shit about OSL, when The Champions is where the money's at. I also expect the same long delays between seasons that the OSL experienced.

Boken

Banned
No, I don't understand Korean, but I was a big fan of the Korean scene before SC2 was introduced. Actually, sometimes I wish I did understand Korean, so I could write up a case study about how they fucked everything up. I don't really participate in this thread, so I understand if you're skeptical. But if you're wondering where the predictions come from, I'll give you my line of reasoning:

Prediction 1: STX (the company) is fucked, and everyone knows it. Furthermore, they're don't have a consumer-facing business like KT, SK telecom/group, Samsung, CJ, etc. and have no real business reason to be involved in PL in the first place. After all, PL is just a vehicle for companies to promote their products and services to an audience - there's no admission charge, not that much merchandising, etc. So once the season is over and they can recover their deposit, they're out - the creditors sure aren't going to let them spend money in this way. Only people who are ignorant about the situation would have expected the team to continue in its current form. Now Kespa has been running the sponsorless team 8 for ages, so it's not like there are many companies knocking down on their door looking to get involved. So when Jin Air shows up, it makes no sense for them to pick up team 8, when the team that was STX Soul also needs a sponsor and is performing much better. The only reason they would agree to take team 8 is if they could raid STX for their talent as well, otherwise they're a sucker who put their money into PL only to take the worst team.

Prediction 2: PL has been performing poorly in the domestic market for quite some time now, yet still bears most of the expensive cost structure from the days when it was a successful vehicle for companies like SKT, KT, CJ, and Samsung to promote their products to a large, young audience. They've already taken some desperate measures to try to revive the fanbase, but it hasn't been working, and now it's LoL that has the large, young audience nowadays. So those companies buy their way into that scene, and predictably, a LoL PL is being formed. So what do you do with the SC2 PL? Ideally, you'd just drop it like a rock to immediately eliminate all the expenses involved, but that does your reputation no good. So you try to reduce the cost burden as much as possible. The effects are already visible - lowered production values, shifted to less valuable timeslots, reduced salaries and team rosters, etc. Now, with the loss of more teams (will Woongjin survive?) and problems also plaguing teams involved in GSTL, it makes sense to merge the leagues, and both parties are desperate enough to consider it. Kespa even gets to slough off the cost of production to Gretech, who do have a reason to stay in the business because of all the international subscription revenue. Gretech also has an incentive to try their best to keep the esf teams alive even though most of them are running on fumes, because if the esf teams fall, Kespa will have Gretech by the balls for GSL, their moneymaker (even though Kespa themselves aren't in a good situation). But Kespa needs to pretend to give a shit about the entire SC/2 PL that they built, so they'll alternate holding a PL of their own along with GSTL, just like how OGN pretends to still give a shit about OSL, when The Champions is where the money's at. I also expect the same long delays between seasons that the OSL experienced.
you seem knowledgeable.

can you tell me more about the current structure and development of the business side of the pro-lol scene in korea?

Yoshichan

Twitch quality now shows "Low, Medium, High, Source" instead of actual resolution numbers.

lol

Top Bottom