• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

svYoApM.png

How can you now love this guy? Seriously.

<3

The dumbest thing about it is that if the MSC is out early enough, they'll have enough energy to pop two consecutive POs. That's just fucking stupid.

The energy required for PO needs to upped to 125 or 150.

JD is a beast and here I was worried about him getting depressed. His TvZ is insanely good, just needs to work on toss.

As for your question Samurai, I have favorite toss playes such as HerO and Creator but as a race I hate toss #racism #notserious

PO isn't the biggest problem IMO. Its actually Time warp as those 2 huge bubbles in a row just kills most defense and armies as seen with JD.

Syf

Banned
Yeah I like those ideas too. Guess we'll see what 2.1 brings.

(though it's already a completely boss patch for bringing us BW music <3)

PO I don't think is all that bad, it's just that Terran are determined to do damage early when instead they should work on macroing up while keeping Protoss trapped in their base and preventing a 3rd.

Syf

Banned
PO I don't think is all that bad, it's just that Terran are determined to do damage early when instead they should work on macroing up while keeping Protoss trapped in their base and preventing a 3rd.
I should make it clear that I'm only referring to observing with what I said, not necessarily balance. PO is boring to see because it's completely automatic and shuts down whatever aggression is happening by itself. I'd like to see Blizz give the toss something they have to control to defend rather than a giant auto turret.

Man what a #dedgaem

Syf

Banned
It should also be noted that I am completely drunk at this point and if I'm derping, I accept no responsibility for said derping.

Aaron

Limiting the terran's options makes the game more boring, especially when protoss still have an easy way of attacking the terran early for low risk in oracles.

Limiting the terran's options makes the game more boring, especially when protoss still have an easy way of attacking the terran early for low risk in oracles.

Oracles aren't cheap and Stargates are basically useless in TvP outside of opening Oracle. Plus unless they're like MC and charge in with 3 at once, they aren't that hard to stop if you know they're coming. A lot of Terran forget to make a mine or two to place in their mineral line(s) which one shot Oracles.

Oracles aren't cheap and Stargates are basically useless in TvP outside of opening Oracle. Plus unless they're like MC and charge in with 3 at once, they aren't that hard to stop if you know they're coming. A lot of Terran forget to make a mine or two to place in their mineral line(s) which one shot Oracles.

Tell that to Pheonix colossus, Void ray allin, Oracle 3 gate all in and every other SG all ins. Then late game Tempests.

Its not hard to stop them but they force the Terran to stay inside their base and the threat of an oracle in your base if you don't snipe it is too high to not leave a few units behind. They just move so fast and a good player won't lose their oracle unless its to a WM/Viking.

As for the WMs, they cover 5 range and in the time it takes to fire an Oracle can get up to 3 kills if the Oracle is even in the radius. Its like a banshee but more powerful in killing and escaping.

Not that they are OP but it does make SG openings more attractive.

Tell that to Pheonix colossus, Void ray allin, Oracle 3 gate all in and every other SG all ins. Then late game Tempests.

Its not hard to stop them but they force the Terran to stay inside their base and the threat of an oracle in your base if you don't snipe it is too high to not leave a few units behind. They just move so fast and a good player won't lose their oracle unless its to a WM/Viking.

As for the WMs, they cover 5 range and in the time it takes to fire an Oracle can get up to 3 kills if the Oracle is even in the radius. Its like a banshee but more powerful in killing and escaping.

Not that they are OP but it does make SG openings more attractive.

Phoenix/Colossi is almost never used. Void Ray all-in is only effective if the Oracle killed most of your bio. Oracle/3gate is only effective if you went really macro heavy and didn't scout. Tempest are usually only used if you went Battlecruisers.

Oracles have a range of 4 which means it's not too hard to try to kite over Widow Mines. Most Terran place it against a Refinery which makes it much harder for Protoss to see. The speed buff won't make much of a difference, it's the acceleration that will.

Mines are getting a nerf while oracles are getting a buff though.

Mines are getting an aoe nerf, not single target.

On another note. Samurai, the "starter" edition of HOTS now has all the races open and arcade!

So that means you can start laddering with us and stuff! :D We can still rely on Spawning if it comes down to it. That reminds me that I need to get on Mumble more often and see I can't catch anyone to play with.

SamuraiX-

On another note. Samurai, the "starter" edition of HOTS now has all the races open and arcade!

So that means you can start laddering with us and stuff! :D We can still rely on Spawning if it comes down to it. That reminds me that I need to get on Mumble more often and see I can't catch anyone to play with.

Thanks, bro! <3

I still need to join the GAF community on Battle.net. I've been watching a lot more than playing lately. With Black Friday around the corner, hopefully I can find HotS for $20 somewhere.

J2d

I didn't stay up for the finals but I went to sleep thinking Jaedong would crush sos, when I woke up and watched the first half of the first game I was convinced that he did but I was wrong. Never been a fan of either player but it felt pretty sad that he got a second place again.
After all these Protoss wins I guess I can't whine for a long time but I do miss having a solid Protoss to root for, they just don't excite me that much, maybe it's the race, or that the game feels a bit long in the tooth, I don't know..

Mairu

rofl

It was just funny because I was joking with Andrew from earlier about how Mvp's high five was so much better than Jaedong's (during his match vs Mvp) but then after Jaedong beat Dear he was super excited and was slappin hands like crazy

Really enjoyed WCS, ESL production #1

Providing you know oracles are going to show up beforehand so you rush to mines, and place them well. If you miss a proxy stargate, there's only unstimmed marines, which with good micro, are just fodder.

I'm surprised Reaper/expand isn't more popular than it is right now. The only way Protoss can keep you from scouting is if they make a really fast Stalker, which even then if you use a scan and you notice a pylon missing then you have a really fast unit to scout everywhere for a proxy.

Aaron

I'm surprised Reaper/expand isn't more popular than it is right now. The only way Protoss can keep you from scouting is if they make a really fast Stalker, which even then if you use a scan and you notice a pylon missing then you have a really fast unit to scout everywhere for a proxy.
Reaper doesn't shoot up. So if you use one to scout and don't catch the stargate, or catch it too late, you'll have less defense when the oracle comes. They're also not good against stalkers. It's too risky when terran doesn't have any early base defense aside from marines.

Reaper doesn't shoot up. So if you use one to scout and don't catch the stargate, or catch it too late, you'll have less defense when the oracle comes. They're also not good against stalkers. It's too risky when terran doesn't have any early base defense aside from marines.

Obviously you won't use it to do damage, but if you find out they're going Oracle with it, you can slow down on your macro some since you're way ahead at that point. You should have either 3 rax or a factory up by the time it gets there to deal with it. If you're able to kill it with minimal losses, then you have a huge lead which is why they aren't used as much. If they aren't paying attention then you can probably kill their probe with your Reaper before they build their 2nd to slow them down even more.

SamuraiX-

Here's a couple of awesome recaps of Day 1 and Day 2 of the WCS Global Finals at BlizzCon! ESL are absolute masters at this stuff. Love the music they always use.

Also, Seed and Creator are streaming! :D

Looks like sOs's victory has inspired some of the fallen Protoss.

Crazy how it was so quick to go from game to game. Like only delay was artosis winning hearthstone lol.

Major improvement from last years finals where Parting won. You could hear Tasteless say they need to cut when he says cut. It was hilarious but embarrassing to listen to.

Its kinda funny how Protoss wins the tournaments that really matter with the exception of MVP winning Blizzcon 2 years back.

SamuraiX-

Hearthstone was pretty dull to watch. If not for Artosis's jacket I wouldn't have tuned in.

Yeah, I'm not really a fan. The only reason ESL decided to take a pause was because the Hearthstone stream had accumulated 95k viewers over like 80k on the SCII stream after the first semifinal. lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
3q67fhF.png

SO MUCH GODLIKE IN ONE PICTURE

Aaron

Thinking of Boxer and that insane late game battle he had at MLG a while back makes me dislike HotS. Before that rolled around, we regularly had massive late game battles with motherships and battle cruisers and carriers... okay not carriers, but broodlord flocks and all kinds of crazy shit. Maybe it's just memory playing tricks, but it feels like for the past year almost games tend to end before anything interesting can happen.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
ALL HE WANTED WAS A HIGH FIVE!!!

WjesfJ5.jpg

SamuraiX-

^ Brutal. lol

So Seed actually has some of the best micro and control I've ever seen for a Protoss. No idea why he fell off so hard. He must just not study the meta enough or something.

Aaron

^ Brutal. lol

So Seed actually has some of the best micro and control I've ever seen for a Protoss. No idea why he fell off so hard. He must just not study the meta enough or something.
He won his last team league game pretty convincingly, though it wasn't as much of a shock as Tassadar's first win since forever.

Thinking of Boxer and that insane late game battle he had at MLG a while back makes me dislike HotS. Before that rolled around, we regularly had massive late game battles with motherships and battle cruisers and carriers... okay not carriers, but broodlord flocks and all kinds of crazy shit. Maybe it's just memory playing tricks, but it feels like for the past year almost games tend to end before anything interesting can happen.

Tempest's basically means going into high tech vs Protoss is useless. Brood Lords are still used a decent amount, Battlecruisers rarely outside of TvT.

J2d

Thank god we don't see investor brood lords anymore but yea more sky anything would be nice.

Zen

Banned
2.1 will be extensions to map making and the arcade.

"Extensions: Stuff like ImbaLeague doesn't require you to download a map, modify it and upload it for every map, but instead you make 1 extension, upload it, and the guy hosting the lobby can take any map and add the extension to it (Think Unreal Tournament Mutators Also, I wonder what this means for GameHeart)"

http://youtu.be/vpsLp848-Yo

I don't think we saw that many big armies and in some matchups it was a bad thing. Sure we saw lots of large broodlord flocks in WoL but it made the game boring and was one of the main reasons people were turned off the game.

TvZ i don't think we saw any bigger armies back in wol than we do now. ZvP we still see plenty of massive armies what with the swarm host/broodlord stuff going on. In some ways it has a similar problem to the old infestor broodlord armies though i don't think it's as bad.

BC's are basically gone but they were really one used in TvT. I did enjoy that but a lot of the time they only really got built after a massive turtle fest that just had massive downtimes. TvT is still an absolutely fantastic matchup so again i can't really complain.

PvP and ZvZ you still see fairly similar large armies. Honestly i think i like every matchup more in HOTS than in WoL (not sure about ZvZ).

There are still lots of changes i would like to see but despite my complaints i'm happy with the game.

SamuraiX-

He won his last team league game pretty convincingly, though it wasn't as much of a shock as Tassadar's first win since forever.

I missed his match against Life. Really surprised to see that he won. Was it pretty convincing or was Life not playing like himself again?

Also, PvP is pretty much the worst thing ever right now. It's easily worse than ZvZ at this point. At least in ZvZ you get macro games even if it just ends with 200/200 Roach armies clashing with zero micro.

Can anyone tell me the last PvP they saw that didn't involve a one base all-in?

Deadman

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/11...rm-balance-update-november-11-2013-11-11-2013

Protoss

Oracle

Movement speed increased from 3.375 to 4.
Acceleration increased from 2 to 3.
Units that burrow or cloak while under the effects of Revelation will once again be revealed after unburrowing or uncloaking.

Terran

Armory

Vehicle and Ship Weapon upgrades have been combined.

Siege Tank

Siege Mode attack period decreased from 3.0 to 2.8.

Widow Mine

Sentinel Missiles now deal reduced damage to units caught within its splash radius based on their distance from the target:
40 damage within 1.25 radius.
20 damage from 1.25 to 1.5.
10 damage from 1.5 to 1.75.

Zerg

Roach Warren

The Tunneling Claws upgrade now increases burrowed Roach movement speed from 1.41 to 2.

SamuraiX-

Widow Mines aren't OP anymore.

Terrans (read: Flash) about to bring sexy (read: mech) back.

Zergs no longer have to cry themselves to sleep at night.

Protoss jizzing their pants at the prospect of one base all-ins being even more effective.

Joking aside, I'm really excited to see if/how this update could potentially shift the meta in a very significant way.

Syf

Banned
Tank buff was going to be 2.7. Wonder what made the 0.1 difference, lol. Mines needed to be fixed so I'm fine with that. Not looking forward to these oracles though.. not at all.

Blind Missile turrets vs protoss from now on as soon as I see 1 gas with 3 probes in my initial scout. Also bunker rushing Toss now with 3 rax lol.

Top Bottom