• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
holy shit :lol

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Just met someone on the bus with PRIME clothes.

Oh yeah I spoke to him aight.

zargle

TvP is just some BS right now. Quitting SC2 for this season until its fixed by patch or strategy. At least TvZ has become more mine heavy to win vs Zerg as now you need about 10 vs the 5 before to win vs Muta,bling,ling.

What happens if you just proxy 2 rax every time?

Yoshichan

What a coincidence since I just met your mother in your house without ANY clothes.

Oh yeah I did her aight.
Motherofgod :lol :lol :lol

CanadaSC2GAF! Look what I found in a local clothing store:

cMH70zZ.jpg

Pollux

So, I tried getting into SC2 a while back when WoL first came out, got really busy and my mouse broke so I stopped playing.

Want to try and get back into it, but not really sure where to start. I used to play terran and I think I'll stick with that, but I'm pretty bad.

Any suggestions on what to read/watch on youtube to "teach me the basics", so to speak?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Tenks

So, I tried getting into SC2 a while back when WoL first came out, got really busy and my mouse broke so I stopped playing.

Want to try and get back into it, but not really sure where to start. I used to play terran and I think I'll stick with that, but I'm pretty bad.

Any suggestions on what to read/watch on youtube to "teach me the basics", so to speak?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Go to www.reddit.com/r/allthingsterran and read the sidebar.

Tenks

Thanks.

Also, I have yet to buy Heart of the Swarm...so do all the things their talking about still apply to WoL?

No. HOTS changed the game. Buy HOTS at WalMart for like $20 on black Friday if you live in the states. Or just buy it now for like $40. There is no competitive scene for WoL so no one cares to come up with guides and strategies.

Pollux

No. HOTS changed the game. Buy HOTS at WalMart for like $20 on black Friday if you live in the states. Or just buy it now for like $40. There is no competitive scene for WoL so no one cares to come up with guides and strategies.

I'm broke right now, so I'll get on that when I get some extra cash.

But for right now I found a Bronze to Gold video and just went back to the earliest ones and I think it's from WoL.

At least playing the story and against computer for the next week or so should help me get the hang of build orders and the basics of how to play, right?

Or, should I not even bother since HOTS changed the game? How much has changed?

Tenks

I'm broke right now, so I'll get on that when I get some extra cash.

But for right now I found a Bronze to Gold video and just went back to the earliest ones and I think it's from WoL.

At least playing the story and against computer for the next week or so should help me get the hang of build orders and the basics of how to play, right?

Or, should I not even bother since HOTS changed the game? How much has changed?

Some things will still carry over. You will still be making depots, you will still be making workers, you will still be keeping yourself broke. But the actual armies and timings will be a complete re-start from scratch. If you're bronze in WoL there is no point in really caring about if you're on WoL or HOTS. Your mechanics would be too bad to even worry about strategy anyways.

Pollux

Some things will still carry over. You will still be making depots, you will still be making workers, you will still be keeping yourself broke. But the actual armies and timings will be a complete re-start from scratch. If you're bronze in WoL there is no point in really caring about if you're on WoL or HOTS. Your mechanics would be too bad to even worry about strategy anyways.

That's what I figured, so playing WoL and just working on mechanics, like building workers, managing units, when to build things, and just getting a general idea of how to play the game will be fine and help when I switch over to HOTS in a month or so?

Tenks

That's what I figured, so playing WoL and just working on mechanics, like building workers, managing units, when to build things, and just getting a general idea of how to play the game will be fine and help when I switch over to HOTS in a month or so?

Yes. Until you get into an actually decent bracket like upper platinum or diamond you can kind of just faceroll most opponents out of pure mechanics and omitting decision making and optimal strategy for the most part. Just get a decent build order (http://imbabuilds.com/wol-terran/) and only work that one build. It takes months to get correct muscle memory so thats really all you need to work on.

Pollux

Yes. Until you get into an actually decent bracket like upper platinum or diamond you can kind of just faceroll most opponents out of pure mechanics and omitting decision making and optimal strategy for the most part. Just get a decent build order (http://imbabuilds.com/wol-terran/) and only work that one build. It takes months to get correct muscle memory so thats really all you need to work on.

Nice, thanks. Any build order you suggest or should I not even worry about it since I'm still on WOL?

Tenks

Nice, thanks. Any build order you suggest or should I not even worry about it since I'm still on WOL?

TvP: http://imbabuilds.com/wol-terran/wol-tvp/tvp-1rax-fe-into-2-medivac-timing/
TvT: http://imbabuilds.com/wol-terran/wol-tvt/tvt-thorzains-build/
TvZ: http://imbabuilds.com/wol-terran/wol-tvz/tvz-1rax-fe-into-reactored-hellion/

Most of these are 1rax FE builds which everyone did in WoL. They aren't really safe or optimal on HOTS. I'd worry about getting your SCV, depot and unit producing structure macro down then maybe switch to more aggressive builds. Cloak Banshee TvT is a great build to focus on attacking while macro'ing behind it.

Mr Swine

Banned
Good god how bad TvZ is right now :( the widow mine nerf has hit us really bad, it's totally worthless against Zerglings, Banelings and Mutas.

Thanks Blizzard!

I hope you realize that now Gold makes up 32% of the player population leading some Plats and Diamond and even some Masters being stuck in it sometimes.

It doesn't help that its cheese fests most of the time in Gold. But yeah sound advice. Thanks for the reddit link. Gonna try out whatever builds are good now.

Also 2 rax would be good if not for the Nexus cannon/ Mothership Core and most Protoss not going Nexus first Zargle. Your only hope is that the Protoss took his gases late and is going for an early expo. Pulling probes is usually enough to stop the rush while boosting out a Zealot/MSC

Zen

Banned
Is something wrong with Channel neogaf on Battlenet? I was just randomly pulled into it and someone said 'bob is building an army' and there were like 12 people online. I closed the window, tried to open it again and it kept saying 'you are not connected to chat' even though I could get into toher channels. I restarted SCII and no one was in Gaf Chat.

Do people actually use Gafchat and I just can never see them? :(

Oh Yeah feeling much better now. Want to go through my screen and punch my whiny self from the day before. How embarrassing the stuff I wrote. Beating Zergs like a boss and Protoss isn't so hard anymore.

TvT is still iffy but good. Having a good time now.

? What happened?

Also I have to say that 2 base Blink stalker push is so annoying to deal with.

I'm autistic so I can be entertained in really weird ways. One of them is watch AI vs AI (usually 8 player FFA). Terran AI always got ground mech attack upgrades slightly behind bio and then mech armor slightly behind that before the patch. Now Terran AI don't pick up the mech weapon upgrade and only the armor upgrade despite having the majority of their army being mech sometimes.

I'm autistic so I can be entertained in really weird ways. One of them is watch AI vs AI (usually 8 player FFA). Terran AI always got ground mech attack upgrades slightly behind bio and then mech armor slightly behind that before the patch. Now Terran AI don't pick up the mech weapon upgrade and only the armor upgrade despite having the majority of their army being mech sometimes.

Haha don't worry i do similar things. I mostly do it with smash brothers though.

Is something wrong with Channel neogaf on Battlenet? I was just randomly pulled into it and someone said 'bob is building an army' and there were like 12 people online. I closed the window, tried to open it again and it kept saying 'you are not connected to chat' even though I could get into toher channels. I restarted SCII and no one was in Gaf Chat.

Do people actually use Gafchat and I just can never see them? :(

It's pretty dead majority of the time. I usually hang out there, but for the past month I've been addicted to FFXIV.

Tenks

I hope you realize that now Gold makes up 32% of the player population leading some Plats and Diamond and even some Masters being stuck in it sometimes.

It doesn't help that its cheese fests most of the time in Gold. But yeah sound advice. Thanks for the reddit link. Gonna try out whatever builds are good now.

Also 2 rax would be good if not for the Nexus cannon/ Mothership Core and most Protoss not going Nexus first Zargle. Your only hope is that the Protoss took his gases late and is going for an early expo. Pulling probes is usually enough to stop the rush while boosting out a Zealot/MSC

Yeah I was low Masters and got demoted to high platinum after they fixed the brackets. I haven't played for a few months but even then my mechanics were only so-so (I was always good for at least one hard block around 120 supply and some soft blocks here and there) and my decision making was terrible. People overstate the importance of counters, scouting and strategy in this game. Honestly the only time I really cared to scout that heavily is TvP simply to know my ghost and viking ratios. At the time I quit everyone was going 1 colossus norange into storm so even then I just focused on my own personal business and stopped caring about him.

Pollux

So, I got to drinking tonight, and ended up buying HOTS. I'm guessing everything you've been telling me applies to HOTS?

Also, is there anyone who would be willing to play against me sometime and tell me what I'm doing wrong? and right...although I doubt I'm doing many things right.

So, I got to drinking tonight, and ended up buying HOTS. I'm guessing everything you've been telling me applies to HOTS?

Also, is there anyone who would be willing to play against me sometime and tell me what I'm doing wrong? and right...although I doubt I'm doing many things right.

chaosjoe #792

You can friend me and I'll add you to the NeoGAF group. Unless you play in EU. Better off finding Yoshi or someone from EU.

ALSO FU*K Planetary Nexus. Makes Toss so freaking greedy. I early expo vs toss. He makes 4 gates after throwing down his own expo, I make 4 bunkers, he gets an early 3rd after scouting my bunkers then I SCV pull, kill all his units while the Nexus kills my units and SCVs. WTF! Then he rolls me with colossus.

On other races. Seeing some weird compositions now with Zerg. Muta Roach and Swarm Hosts... Like WTF lol. It was hilarious because I just made some tanks and stomped him at his natural. His muta got the drop on me but nothing a few marines didn't clean up.

TvT is really Tanks wars. Late game you are better off switching to Mech even though it is more expensive to switch. Having lots of luck with Banshee play.

GLHF everyone.

Pollux

chaosjoe #792

You can friend me and I'll add you to the NeoGAF group. Unless you play in EU. Better off finding Yoshi or someone from EU.

Thanks, I added you.

Going to watch some more of these tutorial videos, play the campaigns, and do some practice rounds before I get into real online play.

ps4 obtained. any yall got it too? Corran is my psn.

Yep. My PSN is hellomarvin.

Played about 3 hours of Knack and an hour of Killzone: Shadowfall single player. Screw the haters, Knack is fun. The only real negative I have so far is Knack feels really sluggish when he gets huge. The framerate is also really choppy while it's background installing but mostly smooths out once it finishes. Killzone: Shadowfall starts out really slow. You don't pick up a gun until about 20-30 minutes in. The OWL is awesome if a bit OP, but I suck at FPS so I'm loving it.

Mairu

Yep. My PSN is hellomarvin.

Played about 3 hours of Knack and an hour of Killzone: Shadowfall single player. Screw the haters, Knack is fun. The only real negative I have so far is Knack feels really sluggish when he gets huge. The framerate is also really choppy while it's background installing but mostly smooths out once it finishes. Killzone: Shadowfall starts out really slow. You don't pick up a gun until about 20-30 minutes in. The OWL is awesome if a bit OP, but I suck at FPS so I'm loving it.

psn is PSMairu

I've only played Knack and a little bit of Resogun so far. I'm enjoying Knack

SamuraiX-

I know we all pretty much expected it but... YEEESSSSS!!!

IM, MVP and Prime Join KeSPA!

http://www.inven.co.kr/webzine/news/?news=66516&iskin=esports

Kespa Chairman announced at the G-Star Festival that Prime, MVP, IM and Najin joined Kespa.

He also talked about the Next Generation E-Sports Action plan with two stages.

1. Stage 1: Is to open the door for every party who wants to join in E-Sports activities
2. Stage 2: Improvement of System and different System plans are the key factor. The Korean Sports Council will hold a meeting in January 2014 and Kespa will apply to become a formal member. (Something with the Iesf and Kespa to face better issues and strengthen esports interests)

On December 28th the SC2 Proleague will start with eight teams Prime, IM, MVP Hotsix, SKT, KT, Samsung, CJ Entus and Green Wings.

uyyMz6k.png

Trading out STX SouL, Woongjin Stars and EG-TL for Prime, MVP and IM. Sad to see WJS and EG-TL go but definitely worth it! Proleague is back, baby!

December 28th! dat late Christmas present :D

Top Bottom