• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

SamuraiX-

Return of the open bracket!

9Ag4asH.png

lawd jesus

kasane

I bet korea will find a way to win this thing. Its a written rule that koreans win everything. :lol:

Edit: Got my new deathadder, at least all my clicks are actually clicking now

Loving the announcements. Whilst the glory days of massive growth and dominating the esports market are gone i feel pretty positive about this year. There have been a lot of team closures and player retirements but honestly i think that has been a long time coming. The scene was too bloated and was never going to be able to support that amount of people. Hopefully things start turning around a bit this year leading towards LOTV.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
MLG NA tourny prize pool adjusted

Adam Apicella
‏@MrAdamAp
Hearing your feedback on the 5 day SC2 invitational being too top heavy. Prizes will be 1st $3,000, 2nd $1,000, 3rd/4th $500 each

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Excellent thread to wake up to!

Weirdly enough, when SC2 fell off MLG, there was a thread on Gaming GAF. What a horrible shit thread that was. But with SC2 being back at MLG, there's no thread.

Peopledontlikegoodnews.jpg

SamuraiX-

Weirdly enough, when SC2 fell off MLG, there was a thread on Gaming GAF. What a horrible shit thread that was. But with SC2 being back at MLG, there's no thread.

The sad truth of our society. People love kicking other people/things while they're down. It's pretty disgusting.

Time to make a thread Yoshi! But yeah with all the teams breaking apart and SC2 shrinking in size, this is some damn good news!

Thats why I like to kick holden. He is always down. Its so easy

LOL I expect fanboi or holden to reply asap.

SamuraiX-

I actually remember that awesome tactic by Jaedong that Raelcun just mentioned... Was it in WoL though? Maybe he did it again in HotS because I could've sworn he did it at one of the DreamHacks last year.

SamuraiX-

Balance test map follow-up

David Kim said:
As a follow-up to last week’s discussion on balance, we constructed a more in-depth look at what we’re thinking, especially considering how popular the topic is right now for this community.

First, let’s take a look at what we’re seeing on the ladder. These are what the matchup win percentages look like per league across the three major regions, from the start of the season through today:

Click here for the win percentages

Please keep in mind these are not straight-up win percentages. They’re win percentages with player skill factored out. When we grab win/loss data for balance purposes, we categorize each game with 2 different variables per side: one being player skill and other being race strength. So by factoring the player skill out, we are able to more accurately check how each race is doing at each skill level.

As you can see, Protoss does have an edge in PvT that slightly surpasses the minor advantages existing in other matchups. Nonetheless, the popular belief that Terran almost never wins vs. Protoss can be put to rest. The data does suggest that yes, we probably want to make some minor balance tweaks if this trend continues, but we don’t have a clear indication that major changes are called for.

We absolutely hear your concerns about GM league representation not being evenly distributed. Obviously, we’d like to see even numbers of players at every skill level, but this one in particular presents two issues: it’s a very small sample size, and it doesn’t represent the pro level very well in all three regions. This is not to say that GM representation balance doesn’t matter – it does matter. We simply believe in putting a bigger emphasis on the pro level as well as all of the other league levels.

Speaking of the pro level, we’ve been getting a lot of feedback from pro players that is contrary to what we were hearing from them last season. This seems to be mostly because of the results for Protoss pros this week in Proleague play. It’s the only major tournament going on right now, and it represents a sample size that is too small to draw any broad conclusions from, but Protoss players have lost at a noticeable clip in that tournament. As of this writing, they’ve recorded only 11 wins in 35 non-mirror matchups. As always, we’re closely following everything, and fortunately we have the WCS qualifiers getting underway to look at.

This is a time to continue discussing and reading your feedback on ways to slightly nerf Protoss or slightly buff Terran in the PvT matchup. Our multiplayer team’s focus going forward in the next weeks is definitely on this area. However, if the ladder data changes and/or if the pro level continues to skew, we’re open to changing our direction. We’ve seen plenty of times in the past where meta games change at the pro level, and that translates to changes in balance at other skill levels on the ladder.

Please understand: we’re looking most closely at areas that you, the players believe to be the biggest issues. Please continue providing your constructive feedback. We always want to be as sure as possible when making balance updates to the game.

Thank you very much!

I can't even handle all the revisionist history and blatant contradictions. I just can't...

"sorry gaiz grandmaster leagues don't count cuz sample sizes and stuff, thangs... oh, hey, check out protoss playing like fucking foreigners in proleague during a single weekend of 6 matches out of 5 weekends per round of 4 rounds BALANCE IS FINE, GAIZ!"

Zen

Banned
Balance test map follow-up

I can't even handle all the revisionist history and blatant contradictions. I just can't...

"sorry gaiz grandmaster leagues don't count cuz sample sizes and stuff, thangs... oh, hey, check out protoss playing like fucking foreigners in proleague during a single weekend of 6 matches out of 5 weekends per round of 4 rounds BALANCE IS FINE, GAIZ!"

It's standard Blizzard SCII PR. Just look at how they've been commenting on MMR decay. They've been saying that it works and doesn't disrupt ladder. The tactic they always use comes in two steps

1) Deny that there's a problem
2) Say 'however based on player feedback we are taking a look at adjusting/will keep an eye on things'

Then they fix the things they deny needed addressing in the first place. Also David Kim is a great PR guy and I don't mean that meanly.

Syf

Banned
He just said it's too small to draw conclusions from...

Also fuck you guys, PvP forever.
He says no broad conclusions, but he does draw conclusions from that data: "As you can see, Protoss does have an edge in PvT that slightly surpasses the minor advantages existing in other matchups. Nonetheless, the popular belief that Terran almost never wins vs. Protoss can be put to rest. The data does suggest that yes, we probably want to make some minor balance tweaks if this trend continues, but we don’t have a clear indication that major changes are called for."

It's embarrassing that the guy in charge of balancing the game would use the results from one week as any sort of balance evidence.

He says no broad conclusions, but he does draw conclusions from that data: "As you can see, Protoss does have an edge in PvT that slightly surpasses the minor advantages existing in other matchups. Nonetheless, the popular belief that Terran almost never wins vs. Protoss can be put to rest. The data does suggest that yes, we probably want to make some minor balance tweaks if this trend continues, but we don’t have a clear indication that major changes are called for."

Yeah, but that wasn't based on pro play which is what he said he wants to balance the game on.

Balance right now isn't that big of a problem so that part i completely agree with. None of the changes i want made are because of balance. They're just to make the game more enjoyable to watch and play. In general i think balance patches should probably be avoided unless there is a glaring issue.

I just wish it would release already. I couldn't give a fuck about almost any of the changes, i just want to play with my broodwar music dammit. I doubt any balance or ladder changes are coming any time too soon so i hope they don't just keep holding it up.

Top Bottom