• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

SamuraiX-

What the hell is this thing?
http://www.twitch.tv/esgn_tv

STARCRAFT_INFOGRAPHICS.jpg

King of Wings is participating? Sign me the fuck up!

LOL @ this frame rate

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
PATCH 2.1 IS LIVE!!

Downloading now! 211 megabytes of goodness.

Sorry, bro. :(

49ers came so close. I thought they had it!
2.1 HYPE!!!!!!! OMG DOWNLOADING NOW

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
DAMN YOU SAMURAIX

I WAS SO FUCKING HYPED

PATCH IS US ONLY ATM

Yoshichan

Is it 3am for EU?

Ecto311

So I'm just now getting back into it. Does the [gaf] clan get a cool overlay on the ground or a floating tag?

Also first 2 games and easy wins not sure how the new ladder placement is or if it even changed yet but hopefully I can get back into gold. Quit playing like 2 seasons ago and went from high gold to bottom bronze when I placed a few weeks ago.

With Clans and Wars now a feature, we NeoGAF peeps need to pwn the other non professional groups and show them why we are the best. ;D

BTW anybody make a thread for the new 2.1 Patch? Lots of new members could join us.

With Clans and Wars now a feature, we NeoGAF peeps need to pwn the other non professional groups and show them why we are the best. ;D

BTW anybody make a thread for the new 2.1 Patch? Lots of new members could join us.

Do we actually have a clan? How do you join? I have a name change available i should finally add the gaf tag to it, not sure what name i'll use though.

Yoshichan

My name is "CorranFanboy" and "HoldenSucks" in SC2 right now... Is a free name change due anytime soon?

HolyCheck

I want a tag give me a tag
Anyone seen any updated korea WCS dates? I've been keeping an eye on things but still no dates past the ro32.

If they move the fucking round of 16 out of seoul or something stupid.

I may stop talking to holdens mum.

Yoshichan

Blizzard ruining min maxing since 2010

Yoshichan

OT a bit---you playing D3 expansion in March ? :O

I'm grinding my Wiz to 60 and as many paragon levels as possible in anticipation. :p
Too many games in March! I'm making the OT, then bailing on you guys till Apr-May!

Slayerx

A little off-topic.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/22/doat-2-made-around-80-million-in-microtransaction-revenues-in-2013-according-to-analyst-firm/

Supposedly Dota 2 made about 80 million in micro transactions in 2013. With HotS selling 1.1 million in just 2 days I wouldn't be surprised if it made substantially more money for Blizzard than Dota for Valve last year. This is slightly depressing because it shows that game does not have to be thriving and Blizzard has zero incentive to keep it alive to make it massively financially successful :/ and knowing all this I will still buy LotV.....sigh

I was playing some custom games yesterday for the first time in months, it was pretty fun. Any recommendations for a complete noob? In the past I found the community somewhat hostile when you played a custom game without any prior experience.

SamuraiX-

Can somebody explain to me how I'm supposed to defend 45 Zerlings + 21 Banelings at the 8:30 mark as Terran?

Am I just supposed to make 10 bunkers every game?

Yoshichan

You play toss

gg

Pandaman

Everything is moe to me
A little off-topic.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/01/22/doat-2-made-around-80-million-in-microtransaction-revenues-in-2013-according-to-analyst-firm/

Supposedly Dota 2 made about 80 million in micro transactions in 2013. With HotS selling 1.1 million in just 2 days I wouldn't be surprised if it made substantially more money for Blizzard than Dota for Valve last year. This is slightly depressing because it shows that game does not have to be thriving and Blizzard has zero incentive to keep it alive to make it massively financially successful :/ and knowing all this I will still buy LotV.....sigh
thats because your comparing one dead game to another.

league of legends made 624 million in 2013.
http://www.gamespot.com/articles/league-of-legends-revenues-for-2013-total-624-million/1100-6417224/

There's some incentive for blizzard.

Syf

Banned
Not sure about them having zero incentive to make it thrive. They have invested a fair bit into the whole WCS structure, and LoL's success has to be enticing. I think they're slowly moving towards doing what they need to do to make SC2 a more popular game. This 2.1 update has taken some nice steps in that direction. I love the free arcade, BW music and extension mods. Expanded clan features also further that goal. Those are all really positive things for the game and community.

As for which games to play.. I love Nexus Wars personally. It's easy to get the hang of and you get a feel for some of the counters in SC2. Also easy enough to play successfully when drunk, lol.

A little off-topic.

Difference is Dota 2 can make that money every year and it's growing (just look at LoL). You can't release an expansion for SC2 every year. That plus if its popularity wains it will sell less copies next time.

I think if blizzard knew they could go F2P with SC2 tomorrow and be making as much money as DOTA2 they would do it in a heartbeat. The problem is they probably can't so it's a big risk.

Syf

Banned
I think if blizzard knew they could go F2P with SC2 tomorrow and be making as much money as DOTA2 they would do it in a heartbeat. The problem is they probably can't so it's a big risk.
Yeah, SC2 doesn't have any sort of significant revenue stream right now outside of purchases of the game itself. Blizzard has a lot of work ahead of it to make a fully F2P option viable. I'd love to see new unit and structure skins made available. Really they could follow what the two MOBAs are doing. Make new skins, unit emotes, even a different announcer available for purchase. Nothing that will affect the game's balance in any way, but ways to customize it. Though above all that, #1 on my wish list is a totally revamped in-game observing function. Being able to observe ranked and tournament games would be awesome. They'd have to put more of a delay on it than the MOBA observing features to prevent cheating (or maybe just hide the names? idk) but the same idea overall.

A little off-topic.

I was playing some custom games yesterday for the first time in months, it was pretty fun. Any recommendations for a complete noob? In the past I found the community somewhat hostile when you played a custom game without any prior experience.

? Dota 2 made more than SC2 from what I've got in that article. Sure overall SC2 Hots probably sold enough copies to be more than 80 mil but Dota 2 was a brand new game that is FTP. But yeah with skins and other stuff Blizzard would probably blow away even Riot.

Can somebody explain to me how I'm supposed to defend 45 Zerlings + 21 Banelings at the 8:30 mark as Terran?

Am I just supposed to make 10 bunkers every game?

Tanks bro. Just have to watch out for the Mutas. If they don't drop gas after getting 100, I auto make a tank just to be safe. Also make a Bunker in front of your wall and in front of the bunker that is part of the wall.

Not sure about them having zero incentive to make it thrive. They have invested a fair bit into the whole WCS structure, and LoL's success has to be enticing. I think they're slowly moving towards doing what they need to do to make SC2 a more popular game. This 2.1 update has taken some nice steps in that direction. I love the free arcade, BW music and extension mods. Expanded clan features also further that goal. Those are all really positive things for the game and community.

As for which games to play.. I love Nexus Wars personally. It's easy to get the hang of and you get a feel for some of the counters in SC2. Also easy enough to play successfully when drunk, lol.

I feel 2.1 patch is a step in the right direction. Still not happy about TvP and Mutas but I hope that is/can be fixed by the end of this WCS season.

Syf

Banned
I feel 2.1 patch is a step in the right direction. Still not happy about TvP and Mutas but I hope that is/can be fixed by the end of this WCS season.
Yea man, agreed. The meta is in a stale spot right now. Two Terrans in Code S so far is sad. Flash and INnoVation don't belong in Code B. Now that 2.1 is out Blizzard will be looking at balance next. Think they said so at Blizzcon.

Top Bottom