• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

SamuraiX-

Congrats!
Congrats Samurai!

<3 <3

Also, hold onto ya butts!

SYfi670.png

14oGVVX.png

LldiOJq.png

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
gaiz gaiz it finally happened! :D

BzhzZhjl.jpg

feelz gud mang :3
GEEEEEEEEGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Good job man! Platinum today is like Diamond 6 months ago before they fucked up the MMR!

SamuraiX-

GEEEEEEEEGEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

Good job man! Platinum today is like Diamond 6 months ago before they fucked up the MMR!

Thanks, Yosh! :D

Yeah it feels weird being in a league with less than 100 players. lol

Also, HOLY FUCK!!

odaeosY.jpg

StarCraft II World Championship to be US$100,000 Winner-Takes-All Tournament

IEM said:
To celebrate our 50th IEM event, we’ve turned up the heat for our World Championship event in Katowice, Poland. Sixteen of the world’s best StarCraft II professional players will battle it out, with only one taking home any of our US$100,000 prize money. As if that wasn’t tough enough, competitors will only have one chance to prove themselves: the single elimination bracket will allow for no mistakes.

“Every season the IEM was one of the hardest tournaments to win all year. In 2014 we would like to take it to a new level of extreme. True champions are born when they express their talent in the most extreme situations,” said Michal Blicharz, Managing Director of Pro Gaming at ESL. “We wanted to create the most high-pressure tournament this audience has ever seen.”

Those who finished first and second at IEM Shanghai, New York and Singapore have already been invited, all expenses paid, to the World Championship in Katowice. With IEM Sao Paulo and Cologne still ahead, a further four places will be decided in the coming weeks. So far, the players qualified for the US$100,000 event are:

Kim “Revival” Dong Hyun (winner IEM Shanghai)
Kim “Oz” Hak Soo (runner up IEM Shanghai)
Lee “Life” Seung Hyun (winner IEM New York City)
Johan “NaNiwa” Lucchesi (runner up IEM New York City)
Kim “herO” Joon Ho (winner IEM Singapore)
Kang “San” Cho Won (runner up IEM Singapore)

The six remaining places will be decided through a series of invites and open qualifiers with more information on the specifics coming in near future.

The final stop of this years Intel Extreme Masters tour will play out in the Spodek Arena (Katowice, Poland), an 11,500 capacity indoor arena typically used for sports events and music concerts. Head over to TicketPro to secure yourself a ticket to what is garaunteed to be an intense couple of days filled with games from some of the best StarCraft II players around.

GET HYPE

Should be insane. I expect the level of preparation for all players involved will be through the roof.

SamuraiX-

M2NUxph.png

So stupid.

inb4 the players split the money privately before playing.

Doubt it.

This type of format for this much money has never been done before in SCII eSports, right? The glory of taking it all will be way more enticing for all participating players compared to throwing away all dignity and spirit of competition to orchestrate a match fixing scandal.

If news spreads as it should, stream numbers could hit a record high.

Edit: Though the choice for IEM to go through with this is pretty humorous after this article Carmac wrote in late 2012: Five problems of StarCraft II - #4: MIDDLE CLASS IS DYING

Syf

Banned
I'm excited for how intense the matches will be, but it does suck for the players. At least their flights and hotels are being paid for.

SamuraiX-

Comments from the higher-ups involved:

James "Kennigit" Lampkin (ESL TV Product Manager) said:
Some thoughts, since the reaction is as mixed as we expected.

IEM's 5 events leading up to IEM Katowice have 125k in combined prize money.

40 fully paid travel + hotel throughout the season

Guaranteed 350$ if you made it through open bracket to group stage

Open brackets at the main season events

Open bracket spots available at Cologne (sign up nerds)

IEM does more than most to support the SC2 player space and what we realized is that as important at it is, we want Katowice to be special - it's not about giving a little bit to everyone. The Starcraft 2 community is now competing against the likes of Dota 2, LoL and even CS:GO which will have a 250,000$ prize pool going on at the same time. If you want to talk and complain about Alive Game, then you have to take risks and make shit happen. Following the model of the last 3 years when there exists a WCS system to support players internationally just wont cut it. The WCS existence is a really important part of the equation in if doing a single event in the season as Winner Takes All Single Elim makes sense.

Katowice is not for every mid tier player and it might not even be for a few of the players who managed to win an event stop. I expect someone will drop out who qualified if they think they cant win.

Is it a bit nuts? Yes. Could someone throw a match? Yes. Could players come up with an agreement between themselves to split it 16 ways? Yes. Is someone going to choke, get cheesed 3 games in a row and have wasted a day of work? Probably. Do i think Naniwa is going to keep his word and split 100k with the likes of Korean players he has shit on in the past? Would they split it back with him or take it to their team instead? I have no clue. Could 2 "Nameless" koreans make it to the finals and everyone rolls their eyes like the Edgy M8s they are that it will be split? Yes. Have we put a lot of thought into what could happen and expect we will still be surprised after the final is over? Yes

And that is exactly why we are doing it.
Michal "Carmac" Blicharz (IEM Director) said:
WCS is doing a great job supporting an entire ecosystem of players throughout the year. That's something that wasn't there before, that is what we've been trying to do so far, so we thought it is time to shake things up. By the IEM World Championship we will have given away $125,000 away to players this season. Anyone that competes in Katowice will have likely won good money already.

Great rationale, imo. With the WCS system taking over and offering opportunities for players of every caliber along with DreamHack getting bigger and better, IEM fell off the radar last year. Even if it's just a one time thing, they're hoping this'll put their name back on the map.

The hate train so far is pretty ridiculous but not unexpected, I suppose. Hate it or love it, anybody involved in StarCraft II will be tuning in for the grand final and people will be talking about this event for all of 2014 and beyond.

Comments from the higher-ups involved:

Great rationale, imo. With the WCS system taking over and offering opportunities for players of every caliber along with DreamHack getting bigger and better, IEM fell off the radar last year. Even if it's just a one time thing, they're hoping this'll put their name back on the map.

The hate train so far is pretty ridiculous but not unexpected, I suppose. Hate it or love it, anybody involved in StarCraft II will be tuning in for the grand final and people will be talking about this event for all of 2014 and beyond.

Spot on. IEM has done so much for the SC2 community in the past. They have given away tons of prize money to a variety of players and they help the players more than most tournaments.

As you said IEM has fell off the map, dreamkhack has basically completely taken over them. Is it so wrong for them to do this to build huge hype around the event? They still run other tournaments which aren't winner takes all. There is still WCS, MLG, dreamhack, IEM events, shoutcraft, pro-league and most likely tons of other tournaments for players to win prize money. Considering the size of the SC2 fan base it's pretty damn hard to complain about the amount of prize money available to players.

This type of thing builds hype and it's a smart move from IEM. Of course the usual knee jerk reaction of the SC2 community is to immediately start whinging but that doesn't make it wrong. Just look how much attention this is already getting and the event isn't for fucking ages.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
MKP streaming!
Why won't my phone alert me?! Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't... I have to manually check almost every hour to make sure I'm not missing anything good T_T

Yoshichan

MKP is so fucking good... can't believe how good he is at this game. He is WRECKING protoss players.

Wedge7

I love it actually. Though obviously pot splitting will be a very large concern heading into it, I dont think its as 100% guaranteed as many predict. First of all, its easy to make an agreement in the moment before the match, but once the excitement fades and you actually get the money, whose to say that player would even pay up? Money and greed can suddenly rear its ugly head, and I dont know how many would actually end up paying the estimated 60-40/70-30/80-20 split once you have the cash in your hand.

Whose to say that the person who is waiting for his money will even come out to the community and reveal that he is owed the money, basically admitting to pot splitting? I cant see too many people in the community having too much sympathy for that person, unfair as it may be.

On SC2 right now. Lets see how my laddering goes. Maybe I'll be able to join Samurai after a couple of days of laddering.

Also as for the huge IEM tournament.

I'm all the way for it. 1 person gets payed, everyone else is screwed. We are gonna get so many Fantasy GG timings from people unwilling to give up. Lot less cheese too depending on the risk.

So I am hyped as hell for this.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
No point in making eSports even more top heavy, would have liked something else, but hey it's different and will create drama.

Aaron

Yeah, I would have rather the money be more even, but this is going to create a lot of hype and make the pros take every match absolutely seriously.

eSF to disband. Not really surprising, I guess.

https://twitter.com/Ethan_Ahn/status/428055871491289088

Well shit I guess that means ST and Azubu will become Kespa teams? 10 teams... Too bad Proleague already started.

So sad to hear. I hope Gom comes out of this alright.

Anyways ladder went decently. Surprisingly found out that Ghosts are good late game. EMP medivacs and do 23 damage to all light units. I disconnected thanks to internet which soured the experience but I still need a few days to get back to where I was in the meta.

SamuraiX-

IEM Sao Paulo OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759213

Doesn't look like they're streaming the dual tournaments for SC2 since it's just a bunch of local unknown Brazilian players and group play doesn't start for another two days but I had to throw it up just in case anybody wanted to watch LoL, which starts in a few hours.

On SC2 right now. Lets see how my laddering goes. Maybe I'll be able to join Samurai after a couple of days of laddering.

Don't forget to do what I do and copy/paste this after every time you hold off a scumbag Protoss all-in: &#9834; Give me free wins! &#9834; Just retire! &#9834; Take your cheesing! &#9834; Back to Aiur! &#9834;

;D

eSF to disband. Not really surprising, I guess.

https://twitter.com/Ethan_Ahn/status/428055871491289088

Yeah, it was obvious it was coming but damn that's still a little depressing to see. :(

IEM Sao Paulo OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=759213

Doesn't look like they're streaming the dual tournaments for SC2 since it's just a bunch of local unknown Brazilian players and group play doesn't start for another two days but I had to throw it up just in case anybody wanted to watch LoL, which starts in a few hours.

Don't forget to do what I do and copy/paste this after every time you hold off a scumbag Protoss all-in: &#9834; Give me free wins! &#9834; Just retire! &#9834; Take your cheesing! &#9834; Back to Aiur! &#9834;

;D

Yeah, it was obvious it was coming but damn that's still a little depressing to see. :(

Dude that is what every Terran should do vs Protoss. Thanks!

kasane

Daed geam.

I'm number one in silver now, i hope that promotion comes soon. I haven't lost a game in a while. Feels good man.

Yoshichan

I KNEW fanboi had an alt account on GAF!

SamuraiX-

Keep at it, kasane! :D

Update on the IEM craze: James "Kennigit" Lampkin (ESL TV Product Manager) with a more extensive argument for the reasoning behind the $100,000 Winner-Takes-All World Championship (from the latest episode of Unfiltered)

Even Destiny chimes in.

I pretty much agree with everything they're saying. I don't think there's anyway this'll be bad for the SC2 eSports scene. ESL may be screwed if it doesn't generate at the very least the minimal amount of hype/numbers they're anticipating that it will, but this can only be good for the game. The state of tournament formats in StarCraft II is hardly at a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" stage at the moment.

The thread on TL alone has 1000 posts and 50000 plus views and that's just the announcement. If they hadn't done this you would be lucky to see 1/10th of that interest in this tournament. It's a good idea and the backlash is laughable. IEM have done a shitload for the scene and have stuck around even when SC2 was supposedly dying. Even with this tournament they are paying for flights and accommodation which has got to help.

I just don't see the problem with this one tournament being winner takes all. Everyone keeps arguing how it hurts the little guys. This tournament is basically best of the best. Whilst some lower players get in for the most part it's already successful players. The ones who need the money the most won't even get here and have no chance in hell of winning money at this tournament.

The best thing for the scene is if this pulls in tons of viewers and interest. That's exactly what the scene needs and it's the best way to attract sponsors to the game for teams and tournaments (which is the best way to make the scene thrive and help out those lesser known players).

ESL may be screwed if it doesn't generate at the very least the minimal amount of hype/numbers they're anticipating that it will, but this can only be good for the game.

Considering the huge amount of interest so far that seems unlikely. I will say that the racial makeup so far doesn't look too good. Hopefully we at least get a few terrans or it could hurt things. That plus a few foreigner would help the tournament greatly ESPECIALLY if one somehow wins.

Aaron

Blizzard really need to fix this shit before the next major round of tournaments. Maru was the only terran who could stand up to protoss consistently, and even he's lost now. I already expect Code S to be a shit show for terran, but Blizzard have let this go on too long already, and it keeps getting worse.

Majine

Banned
Ermagerd, as a Low-to-Mid Gold Zerg i just won a ZvZ against a Diamond Zerg !

I guess this says more about the state of the matchup, but I dun care! :D

SamuraiX-

The thread on TL alone has 1000 posts and 50000 plus views and that's just the announcement. If they hadn't done this you would be lucky to see 1/10th of that interest in this tournament. It's a good idea and the backlash is laughable. IEM have done a shitload for the scene and have stuck around even when SC2 was supposedly dying. Even with this tournament they are paying for flights and accommodation which has got to help.

I just don't see the problem with this one tournament being winner takes all. Everyone keeps arguing how it hurts the little guys. This tournament is basically best of the best. Whilst some lower players get in for the most part it's already successful players. The ones who need the money the most won't even get here and have no chance in hell of winning money at this tournament.

The best thing for the scene is if this pulls in tons of viewers and interest. That's exactly what the scene needs and it's the best way to attract sponsors to the game for teams and tournaments (which is the best way to make the scene thrive and help out those lesser known players).

Nice! Yeah, agree with everything you're saying too. And there's definitely no such thing as bad publicity. As long as people are talking about it.

Considering the huge amount of interest so far that seems unlikely. I will say that the racial makeup so far doesn't look too good. Hopefully we at least get a few terrans or it could hurt things. That plus a few foreigner would help the tournament greatly ESPECIALLY if one somehow wins.

Yeah, 4 Protoss and 2 Zergs at this point... Yuck. We have to place our hopes in Bomber, Polt and jjakji in Sao Paulo... I actually don't think a TvT finals would be completely out of the question. Depends if herO came as prepared as last time. He did defeat Maru 2-0 in the Asian Final Qualifier but then also got 2-0'd by Bbyong somehow in the winners final so he's definitely not unbeatable in PvT.

Ermagerd, as a Low-to-Mid Gold Zerg i just won a ZvZ against a Diamond Zerg !

I guess this says more about the state of the matchup, but I dun care! :D

Congrats, bro! :D

Draft

A winner take all tournament is the shit. I'm surprised so many people expect the Koreans to collude in the finals. Isn't that a risk in every tournament? Even the traditional award amounts vastly favor the first place finisher over everyone else.

Aaron

Koreans are less likely to collude considering the shit they might get from Kespa and GOM. They take that sort of stuff very seriously.

SamuraiX-

IEM World Championship in Katowice StarCraft II Open Qualifiers

So two invitees, three winners from each of the three respective regional qualifiers and one winner from a separate open bracket.

Should work but I'm not a fan of letting the Koreans participate in the American and European qualifier. Besides NaNiwa it's already gonna be all Koreans. A few foreigners would also be nice.

I wonder who the two invites will be... maybe two out of Soulkey, INnoVation and Jaedong? They were Top 3 in WCS Points last year. I could also see sOs and maybe Stephano.

Top Bottom