• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Striek

PigBaby is making it epic. But IDK why he isn't just doing what he did against Taeja because that seemed like a surefire way to win. Maybe hes trying to prove he doesn't "need" to play like that, but for $10k prize difference...fuck that.

jasonng

PigBaby is making it epic. But IDK why he isn't just doing what he did against Taeja because that seemed like a surefire way to win. Maybe hes trying to prove he doesn't "need" to play like that, but for $10k prize difference...fuck that.

My impression is that he's being a showman for the sake of getting picked up by a team. He would get picked up by a team anyway if he used his anti-Taeja strat but I'm guessing he doesn't want to be known as a one trick pony.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
BQJyh.gif

It's strange though because playing really strong macro games doesn't really make you a one trick pony. It's not like he was just doing some allin. Either way it looks really good and i think we will be seeing him a lot more in the near future.

I'm surprised Terran lift to the gold so often against Protoss. Almost every all-in can counter any Terran tries to do on one base. 2 base Immortal, Tempests, Dark Templar, etc.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
That's not a very kissable trophy it's like Blizzard wants this game to die.
At least Roosevelt gave him it.

I mean 10 posts for WCS AM Finals :/

I don't like it either but they must see some success using it to keep trying it on the big stage.

It depends on what kind of all-in they go for. The one Bomber did was way too slow and gave Pigbaby enough time to tech up. If he just went for a bunker rush then it would have been much more effective.

When did Pigbaby come over to WCS America anyways? I always remember seeing him in Code A or first round of Code S.

Aaron

It depends on what kind of all-in they go for. The one Bomber did was way too slow and gave Pigbaby enough time to tech up. If he just went for a bunker rush then it would have been much more effective.

When did Pigbaby come over to WCS America anyways? I always remember seeing him in Code A or first round of Code S.
He said that he joined Jin Air, but they kind of fucked him over and never really let him play, so he left and decided to try his luck in NA. Good plan as it turned out.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Missed it because fuck Europe.

Zen

Banned
Bomber vs Heart was pretty good too.

Browsed that match and saw standard Maru proxy 2 rax and said nope. Hope Maru loses in round of 32 in Code S because he's become unwatchable for me.

Will watch.

If he wasn't so good his constant cheese would be embarrassing, but he literally did not make a single mistake that game aside from one which was related to multitasking and not seeing a bane runby. Everything he did was... perfect...
and this is with the 2 rax being thwarted

Zen

Banned
Maru is just too good. Watching him play is like watching Flash on steroids, every movement has a purpose, every bunker is used for simcity, it is just nuts. Not that I don't love Flash, but Maru can not be stopped.

Destiny I update
Newest Update From the Indiegogo:
" Confirmed casters - Tod, Nathanias, Minigun, Incontrol, and now Totalbiscuit (health permitting)! Confirmed invitees - Scarlett, Snute and Hero. New placeholder on my website now for the tournament - http://www.destiny.gg/i "
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/destiny-i

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Medivac
Medivac harass has been getting weaker since the beginning of HotS due to players improving at defending against them. If we increase the strength of Medivacs, we’d not only help out Terran on both matchups, but also help provide even more action-packed games to watch. We wonder if buffing the unload speed or increasing the duration of the speed boost slightly would help in a positive way.

Widow Mine
Widow Mines are quite core in both TvP and TvZ. They’re also one of the most exciting units to watch and create lots of diverse moments depending on the players’ interaction with them within each engagement. We’re currently considering a slight increase to the splash radius of Widow Mines, which we believe could be a good direction to explore.

Obviously, nothing is final since we aren’t even proposing specific numbers yet, but we’d like to start discussions going that would allow us to start a balance test map soon.

It kinda sucks that they're focusing on buffing the most micro intensive units.

Aaron

I agree with TY that what terran really need is a late game unit. Either something new, or make the battlecruiser less than a flying paperweight.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Dropped a siege tank onto a colossus steals it from Protoss and becomes a new unit that Terran can actually use to crush forcefields and will see tanks used.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Thors can equip a siege tank on each arm and a hellion per leg while still maintaining their massive property. Now Terran can siege, roast workers, and crush forcefields and they don't even need to add a new unit

zargle

Thors can equip a siege tank on each arm and a hellion per leg while still maintaining their massive property. Now Terran can siege, roast workers, and crush forcefields and they don't even need to add a new unit

But do we call the upgraded Thor a Thor-tron or Mega-thor?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I hate my life

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

i really honestly like the idea the of being able to combine each mech unit into a mega mech.

Zen

Banned
Starcraft II is a spectacular game, one of the best games to come out in the last 10 years, it just also happens to have some issues, have been burdened with huge expectations, and be a pressure cooker of stress that requires a lot of dedication or natural skill.

Br9O9DFCQAAT8Cf.jpg:large

Syf

Banned
I'd be playing too if I wasn't visiting my parents. Wasn't able to watch WCS either.. though I don't feel too bad about missing a toss sweep of the 3 regions. Maybe I'll see if I can install it on their ancient PC tomorrow.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Everyone I know moved to Dota 2 which right now is more fun to play, watch, learn, and has amazing developer support behind it and community tools to do everything on their own.

Smash has better hype and story lines and is coming back, maybe people just need to start this back from the ground up like some of the smaller Korean sponsored tournaments. Smash is huge despite being so old with no support.

I was going to go to MLG just for Smash alone and had little intent of watching SC2 it's gotten that bad.

BW is gone but will always be the best.
It's really hard for SC2 to compete with all the intricacies of an older game, many of which were unintentional or had profound impact (12 unit cap, no MBS, no smart casting, harvester gathering efficiency/supply/base saturation, etc. -> leads to important small skirmishes and armies being imperfect, etc.

When Blizzard removed SC2 from their webpage it's really telling imo, they aren't getting any money from it even though it really shouldn't many resources they could seriously monetize it better or just make it F2P to give the scene some more life.

Aaron

I still like SC2 the most to watch. I honestly find Dota 2 the most tedious to play. I passed 400 hours, and wonder why I spent so long with it. These days I play 1-2 games of Smite. Quicker matches and overall more fun than Dota 2 for me, even with the lower skill ceiling. I'll watch some of the International, but won't go out of my way for it.

I've never seriously watched or played Smash Bros so have no opinion on it.

I've been watching a lot more of Smash Bros lately. Watched the entire tournament they had at E3. Biggest problem with watching it is how bad it looks now. Hopefully Smash 4 takes off with the tournament scene.

Everyone I know moved to Dota 2 which right now is more fun to play, watch, learn, and has amazing developer support behind it and community tools to do everything on their own.

The community for dota 2 seems pretty awesome and when you see stuff like the international it makes me want to get involved. The game just isn't fun to watch or to play for me no matter how much i try.

Smash i'm actually a fan of but it still is no replacement for SC2. Is SC2 as good as BW? Fuck no but neither is dota2, smash or any other esport. It's still my favorite game to watch besides that by far.

When Blizzard removed SC2 from their webpage it's really telling imo, they aren't getting any money from it even though it really shouldn't many resources they could seriously monetize it better or just make it F2P to give the scene some more life.

This really needs to happen and is almost a necessity for esports these days. I just don't think blizzard is going to do it. It sucks because that's why the game gets so little love between expansions, that's the only time they really make money so that's the only time to put in effort.

Such a huge waste.

Syf

Banned
There's a lot they could be doing to monetize better and it's annoying that they seem like they don't even care to try. Unit/building skins, decals, colors, announcer packs, UI overlays, animations, whatever else. Learn from Valve and put some effort into community features and a sound f2p model. Instead you have to buy two games just to play current ladder. Their approach to LotV pricing will be really telling, because potential players aren't gonna want to buy a trilogy to play competitive SC2.

Zen

Banned
You would think with whats his name who is one of the top dogs at blizzard loving Starcraft so much they would, y;know, support it. I mean actual support not just throwing some money at WCS.

Striek

MOBAs are so fucking boring to play. Doing the micro of one unit, is literally the easiest shit in the world to do. Decision making is hilariously minimal compared to an RTS. I'll never understand it.

Smash has a good comeback, but it is definitely leaning heavily on Nintendo fans having nowhere else to invest there attention in the esports space. Good storyline/drama with Nintendo &EVO and the new game are the catalysts for the renewed interests, whether it lasts is questionable.

I understand why SC2 is declining and why there is no RTS on the way to replace it. As a spectator they're more complicated than other games. And seeing as most viewers of gaming streams are current/former players of the game, it doesn't help that RTS take more skill, are less social, losses can only be blamed on yourself, require oodles more attention/APM than other genres, and are very, very difficult to make work with the F2P model.

Zen

Banned
The amount of zergs who claim I am hacking and file reports against me is surreal, I mean I have goot map intuition but damn.

Time to spend another 15 minutes filling out another counter claim.

There's a lot they could be doing to monetize better and it's annoying that they seem like they don't even care to try. Unit/building skins, decals, colors, announcer packs, UI overlays, animations, whatever else. Learn from Valve and put some effort into community features and a sound f2p model. Instead you have to buy two games just to play current ladder. Their approach to LotV pricing will be really telling, because potential players aren't gonna want to buy a trilogy to play competitive SC2.

Being able to engage the community is just so crucial for an esport. It's a shame because the community could bring so much more to the game if given the chance (in particular when it comes to maps).

are very, very difficult to make work with the F2P model.

I'd like to see them at least give it a go. I think there are plenty of ways to make an RTS game work using the F2P model. It will just take a bit of foresight to make it work.

At this point i think the chances of them going F2P are effectively zero but i can still hope to see it.

Top Bottom