• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

danielcw

The amount of zergs who claim I am hacking and file reports against me is surreal, I mean I have goot map intuition but damn.

Time to spend another 15 minutes filling out another counter claim.

Counter claim?

Does Blizzard or the game make you do that?

Zen

Banned
Counter claim?

Does Blizzard or the game make you do that?

Not really, but I report them for harassment (making a false claim with no merit) upload the replay and explain my reasoning for army position etc. Then shoot an e-mail to blizzard support with the same thing. There is literally nothing suspicious about my play, but I will be damned if they see tons of claims on my account and start to think something is up. Better the other people get a lesson in abusing the report feature.

Keep in mind these are players who I offer to go over the replay with multiple times, and some of them claim to have ~third party software to detect hacks~. It is insanity.

Son1x

Seeing as how even cheaters aren't getting banned I wouldn't really bother with that. I personally know a few players that just report others when they're mad.

Zen

Banned
GSL code A groupos announced!

Looks like I will actually watch some GSL! (Not that I don't catch matches that are recommended, but I mean I will specifically try to watch Groups A, F, and L.

Initial matches are player A vs player B and player C vs player D

Group A
(P)Ruin - (Z)hyvaa - (T)INnoVation - (P)Hurricane

Group B
(P)MyuNgSiK - (P)Panic - (Z)DongRaeGu - (T)TurN

Group C
(Z)RagnaroK - (P)Dear - (Z)Dark - (P)Billowy

Group D
(Z)Hydra - (T)Cure - (P)Rain - (Z)Impact

Group E
(Z)Shine - (T)TY - (Z)ByuL - (T)sKyHigh

Group F
(P)TAiLS - (P)Hush - (Z)Symbol - (T)Flash

Group G
(P)PartinG - (P)Sora - (P)Avenge - (Z)Sleep

Group H
(P)Trap - (T)aLive - (T)Bbyong - (Z)RorO

Group I
(P)sOs - (T)Reality - (P)herO - (P)Super

Group J
(Z)Rogue - (T)Bunny - (Z)Life - (P)Stats

Group K
(Z)Leenock - (P)Terminator - (T)SuperNova - (Z)EffOrt

Group L
(P)Stork - (P)Trust - (P)YongHwa - (T)FanTaSy

Also new Unfiltered today!

Unfiltered #60 Today 5pm EDT/11pm CEST w/ ChanManV, Destiny and Richard Lewis (Starts 5 hours after post)
Watch live on ChanManV.tv or twitch.tv

Hosts: ChanmanV and Destiny

Guest: Richard Lewis

Show Date/Time: Today 17:00 EDT / 23:00 CEST

Topics:

WCS

LoL Gambit Moves

Destiny Indiegogo and Tournament

Viewer Q&A

"Unfiltered" is a show where ChanManV, Destiny, and guests will discuss several topics in the eSport/gaming/anything industry each week. The goal is to get some interesting discussions/debates going with the viewers and communities while having a relaxed fun time. We may also have special community guests from time to time. We will be taking questions from this Reddit thread and stream chat towards the end of the episode.

POST YOUR QUESTIONS HERE!

Syf

Banned
Rooting for terrans to do better in code A. GSL needs to balance out and this is where it starts. Maru is the only terran already seeded into code S, and I'd hate to see a third straight code S season of horrible terran representation (three players or ~9% in season one, four players or ~12% in season two).

Syf

Banned
Update on proposed balance changes: http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/forum/topic/13348265254#1

Thanks for everyone’s feedback on our recent update and suggested balance changes. After some consideration, we’d like to begin testing the following changes soon.

• Widow Mine splash radius increase
- This will allow Terran to be stronger in the mid/late games in both matchups.
- We’ve also seen feedback that the Widow Mine splash radius increase doesn’t buff late game Terran, however we feel that this type of mid-game buff also carries over into a late game buff.

• Thor Attack priority changed to use AA weapon first
- Because Thors are mostly core against Zerg, and the AA weapon is the preferred weapon when using Thors, we’d like to try this change.

• Time Warp duration decreased from 30 to 15
- We’d like to try out this change for 3 reasons: Reduce the strength of various all-ins that combo with offensive Time Warps, reduce general Protoss main army strength, and hopefully increase micro opportunities against the spell.

Please remember these aren’t the final changes, but only the first batch of changes being tested in the next balance test map. Thanks again for the feedback and we look forward to hearing your thoughts on these new changes.

Syf

Banned
Yeah, glad to see they realized that the medivac buff was a bad idea. Also surprised and happy to see them acknowledging that time warp is bad. I'd still like them to get rid of it altogether, or make it researchable so it disappears from the early game, but this is nice.

Zen

Banned

Widow mine radius, hey no complaints.

Thor attack priority? Hrmmmm, Thors have such a huge startup time I almost feel like you should be able to toggle it (odd I know). Granted I am like the only guy who uses them against protoss I guess. I seem to remember it use to be attack priority on air to begin with, why was it changed again? I ahv straight up lost tvzs to this even with target firing.

I also really like the time warp nerf, and the effect it might have on PvZ will be nice. I also would not mind if time warp had a linear increase on slowdown over time when it lands (so at first your units are not slowed as much). It would allow people to actually make some last second micro (slightly less effectively) or reposition entirely.

As it stands timewarp is just a fuck you ability that the other player can not react at all.

This one of your alts chanman????????????

Alts don't out alts what the hell am I doing???

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
I really wanted the fucking medivac buff

Zen

Banned
Destiny is asking for your feedback

Season record so far: 15-7 or 15/22. I went like 6 games with a 50/50 win rate, blarg.

Here is the proposed mine buff in numbers

Splash radius changed from 1.25/1.5/1.75 to 1.5/2/2.5

What were the original values when they worked well against muta? Did they not do any back in the day but 100% dmg? I cant remember.

Here is what they are now

Widow Mine splash damage increased vs. shields:
Up to 1.25 radius, splash damage will increase from 40 to 40 (+40 vs. shields).
From 1.25 to 1.5 radius, splash damage will increase from 20 to 20 (+20 vs. shields).
From 1.5 to 1.75 radius, splash damage will increase from 10 to 10 (+10 vs. shields).

Either way this looks like a big damage increase.

Timewarp nerf might be overkill for PvZ. It kills the Mothership Core's usefulness in mid-late game outside of sniping bases and makes a Roach/Hydra push much more deadly. The Widow Mine nerf I'd need to see in action. The reason for the original nerf was how many Zerglings/Banelings it could kill at once. Want to see how the original, nerfed, and now buffed versions compare to each other.

Gurrry

Ive recently taken a heavy interest in SC2 after having WoL installed on my PC since 2012 and barely touching it.

Obviously, HoTS has been released since then. However, im quite confused on what exactly the expansion gives me.

I noticed in the options I can select "Heart of The Swarm Starter Edition", which seems to give me all of the new units. Does the 40 dollar expansion only give you campaign missions and the full leveling system? Or are my HoTS units limited to AI games?

My final question is where other than the blizzard store can I purchase a download code for the HoTS expansion? Blizzard is the last company on earth I would trust with my cc info... so their store is not an option.

Syf

Banned
I believe they made all arcade and custom (skirmish) games free, with the option to use all races as well - with all units. Heart of the Swarm will grant you access to the campaign and ranked ladder play. There might be more restrictions so someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Gurrry

Ok so yeah, I figured it out. Cant play ranked with the starter edition. I thought I had it turned on, but I guess it goes back to WoL when you turn off the client.

I like the changes. I know they're small but they should solve some of the problems. Hopefully they actually have some big changes ready for LOTV.

Rooting for terrans to do better in code A. GSL needs to balance out and this is where it starts. Maru is the only terran already seeded into code S, and I'd hate to see a third straight code S season of horrible terran representation (three players or ~9% in season one, four players or ~12% in season two).

Even best case scenario i think we won't get very many terrans in code S. More than last season would at least be something. It always hurts my interest in tournaments if a race is poorly represented (whichever race).

Yeah, glad to see they realized that the medivac buff was a bad idea. Also surprised and happy to see them acknowledging that time warp is bad. I'd still like them to get rid of it altogether, or make it researchable so it disappears from the early game, but this is nice.

Doesn't that kind of show that they really must not discuss these potential changes with the people actually playing the game? Yet again it's a change that basically everyone knew would be shit the moment it was announced. If they were actually working with the players who know the game so well they wouldn't come up with stuff like that in the first place.

Timewarp nerf might be overkill for PvZ. It kills the Mothership Core's usefulness in mid-late game outside of sniping bases and makes a Roach/Hydra push much more deadly. The Widow Mine nerf I'd need to see in action. The reason for the original nerf was how many Zerglings/Banelings it could kill at once. Want to see how the original, nerfed, and now buffed versions compare to each other.

I'm ok with this. I think PvZ is actually balanced right now and this might have a negative impact but i don't mind. I'd rather them not balance it around something like that. Right now i think time warp has a negative impact on the game, it's boring to watch and difficult to appreciate whatever skill it takes to position. That plus it tends to result in a snowball loss when used well and i just think it's detrimental to the game.

In general the best things to watch are where you can see both players struggling against each other and where both have a chance to react (like both sides splitting their army and microing against each other). With time warp you don't really get this.

Had to get up early last night so I'm just catching up on Proleague finals. Holy shit at True nearly sweeping SKT1. Never knew you could immediately Evolution Chamber block right after Hatch blocking until game 4. Can't believe Rain went for basically a 2 base all-in when True easily had the economy to defend it. Should have just backed away when he got scouted. Wtf at Soulkey's build in game 6. 9pool into an early Hatch? SOs's was kind of weird too going for a Void Ray/Zealot all-in instead of a 3rd base but it worked out.

danielcw

Not really, but I report them for harassment (making a false claim with no merit) upload the replay and explain my reasoning for army position etc. Then shoot an e-mail to blizzard support with the same thing. There is literally nothing suspicious about my play, but I will be damned if they see tons of claims on my account and start to think something is up. Better the other people get a lesson in abusing the report feature.

I think you have to do nothing, and can just relax.

Of course you should report them for harassment.
But there is no need for a replay or a preemptive defense.
If Blizzard would need a replay, they would ask for it. Blizzard has access to all those data anyway.

Syf

Banned
Doesn't that kind of show that they really must not discuss these potential changes with the people actually playing the game? Yet again it's a change that basically everyone knew would be shit the moment it was announced. If they were actually working with the players who know the game so well they wouldn't come up with stuff like that in the first place.
Yeah, that's true. Some of the ideas they come up with make it seem like they don't put much thought into them. Like you said often times they'll throw out an idea that gets immediately shot down and makes people wonder what they were even thinking.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
i want a terran unit like the collusus so badly. just one easy to micro spash unit. just one.

edit: actually i guess hellbats are

Zen

Banned
I was working on a ~future of RTS games~ post in response to an earlier tangent you guys had going, and one of the things I filled under ~at minimum~ for things Blizzard needs to do... they did.

Pleased to announce that we have permanently reduced the price of Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm to $19.99 pic.twitter.com/JoFrnCL6AX

BsJGzUuCIAI1eh4.jpg

ALSO CHECK OUT UNFILTERED, TOTAL BISCUIT AND AVILO APPARENT COME TO VERBAL BLOWS (or maybe not I don't know yet, but considering the things that TB has said about him recently)

I think you have to do nothing, and can just relax.

Of course you should report them for harassment.
But there is no need for a replay or a preemptive defense.
If Blizzard would need a replay, they would ask for it. Blizzard has access to all those data anyway.

Eh, it is not so much a preemptive defense as it is proof of them abusing the report feature (Blizzards has a separate pop up warning to warn you that bausing the feature can result in action against your account) They have also tacitly more or less said that if you want them to take action against anyone provide the actual replay/screenshots. I don't think they can actually search through chat history or anything like that. Like for 90 percent of these cases it is so absurd that it is obvious they are just abusing it.

Oh hey how timely!

Play Nice, Play Fair - How We Fight Cheating in StarCraft II

RDYZER4F0GLU1404945307704.jpg

Blizzard Entertainment has always taken active measures to combat cheating in our games, and that's of particular importance for a highly competitive game like StarCraft II. If a StarCraft II player is found to be cheating or using hacks or modifications in any form, then that player can be permanently banned from the game, as outlined in our end user license agreement. This means that the player will be permanently unable to log in to Battle.net to play StarCraft II with his or her account.

Blizzard combats cheaters in a variety of ways. The first, and most important of these is through the in-game reporting system. In the Score Screen, you’ll see that you can select a player’s name to open a drop-down menu. By selecting ‘More…’, and then ‘Report Player’, you will open a window. You can then select the option ‘Cheating’, and provide a description about what specifically aroused your suspicion. Including links to any relevant replays is also highly encouraged. Our hacks team is constantly monitoring these in-game reports, and will launch investigations on players who draw a lot of attention.

Another effective way of reporting is to simply send us a replay of the game in which you played against a suspected cheater. You can do this by e-mailing hacks@blizzard.com and either attaching, or providing a URL link to, a replay file. The replay will then be investigated by our hacks team.

We also employ software detection methods to discover hack program usage. While we can't go into much detail about these methods, we can say that players caught cheating in this way are generally banned in waves. This is done so as to not tip off program developers regarding our detection methods, as well as to maximize the return on our detection efforts. Ban waves are issued in contrast to the other methods mentioned above, where bans are issued on an individual, account-by-account basis.

Through these means, any player who is determined to be in violation of our terms and conditions by using hacks, cheats, mods, or any other unauthorized third-party software will be banned.

We’d like to thank our players for constantly practicing and promoting a healthy competitive environment. Working with our community to ensure a fair and level playing field is important to Blizzard. As players ourselves, we investigate all reports of cheating as thoroughly as possible and take action when appropriate. If you have any questions or comments, feel free to post them in the thread below and we will answer them as possible!

See you on the battlefields!

Yeah, that's true. Some of the ideas they come up with make it seem like they don't put much thought into them. Like you said often times they'll throw out an idea that gets immediately shot down and makes people wonder what they were even thinking.

I sort of think that the medivac suggestion is not damning proof that they do not listen to the community, from a design perspective being broad in possibilities even if you think it might be a bad idea is not a bad thing. Why not try.

I sort of think that the medivac suggestion is not damning proof that they do not listen to the community, from a design perspective being broad in possibilities even if you think it might be a bad idea is not a bad thing. Why not try.

I wasn't just talking about that change. It has happened quite a few times before where blizzard have suggested changes that no one really wants and that would essentially be game breaking. These changes are shot down immediately by effectively the whole community as they are so obviously bad. If they were interacting with players to make these decisions you would think surely that wouldn't happen.

I absolutely agree with your last sentence but that hardly applies to blizzards approach. Most of their changes are tiny and are little more than tweaking numbers (upgrades cost 50 less or a unit does a tiny bit more damage). I would love to see them make some big changes and i have read plenty of good suggestions for the same. Blizzard are basically being as conservative as possible and yet still manage to regularly come up with changes that can be game breaking without solving any of the issues players complain about.

Obviously it's blizzards game and they should make it how they feel works but i can't help but feel feedback from players (especially pros) could help send them in the right direction.

I would love if blizzard did take a more wide approach to balance and designing units and i think they should actually be testing a lot more changes (not everything they recommend has to be brought in). They should bring more changes to the table and see what works. Throw some new stuff into the mix as it's exciting. Problem is they only really make money when an expansion comes out so they won't really do all that much until then.

It's a good start but it won't change the fact that there will be a huge cost of entry come LOTV. Especially when you consider that basically all of their competition is F2P now.

For every decent idea Blizzard has had in HotS they've had a really stupid one too. Dark Templar speed increase, Tempest increased damage to buildings, 25 gas Hydra's, etc.

It makes me wonder if Blizzard is just putting the game to how they want it to work out.

They never touch the tank or mech units in general besides the weapons upgrade which was for air weapons honestly. Its like they want Terrans to stick to Bio as they feel Mech would be bad in their eyes or would "ruin" TvP/TvZ

Also wish ZvZ was fixed from the perma Roach wars in the lategame. Early game is fun with ling/bane or early roach vs lings but gets bad lategame with no Ultras or Broodlords.

Protoss is still a joke in the lategame as a penalty for warp gate still does not exist.

It makes me wonder if Blizzard is just putting the game to how they want it to work out.

They never touch the tank or mech units in general besides the weapons upgrade which was for air weapons honestly. Its like they want Terrans to stick to Bio as they feel Mech would be bad in their eyes or would "ruin" TvP/TvZ

Also wish ZvZ was fixed from the perma Roach wars in the lategame. Early game is fun with ling/bane or early roach vs lings but gets bad lategame with no Ultras or Broodlords.

Protoss is still a joke in the lategame as a penalty for warp gate still does not exist.

I'm annoyed that Blizz didn't go through with the Spore Crawler change. Muta's outside of killing Overlords suck if scouted. A few Spore's at each base and they become almost useless.

Looking at the Code A qualifiers there were a lot of Terran that came close to qualifying. Of the 12 groups four of them had a TvT for the last spot.

Son1x

Who would have thought that Avilo came across completely reasonable and TB like a giant condescending asshole.

Wow, I just listened through the Unfiltered episode*. TB really is an asshole.

edit: *Only the part where Avilo joined.

Zen

Banned
1) Yep

2) It seems like he thought he came on to discus Avilo, I dunno, the impression I got from everyone else was that it was pretty much ~wtf do we talk about now~? In fact that was even said on air when both of them got in.

3) To be fair, although I will not say that he was not an asshole,(that bit at the end about saying how he ~proved his point~ when Avilo defied his expectations was lol), the guy does have cancer, octuplets, and allegedly being told to die on cancer by people in chat. Normally I do not give public figures a pass in any way for hiding from criticism by throwing up the 1 out of 100 people who say mean things to them, but he is going through a lot. Still, do not use the behavior of others to justify your own.

Total Biscuit talks about it
https://soundcloud.com/totalbiscuit/well-this-has-certainly-been-an-interesting-day

The thing is, Avilo did talk about and answer TB on ~the drama~, he may not have had iron clad responses, but after a certain point what else do you talk about beyond the state of the game itself? It is not as if he acts as he does simply for zero reason.

Zen

Banned
It's a good start but it won't change the fact that there will be a huge cost of entry come LOTV. Especially when you consider that basically all of their competition is F2P now.

True, it was under my ~the least they could do category~ I might finish that post I was talking about over the next few days if the mood strikes. Safe to say I think RTS has a viable path within the F2P market, but it will involve a lot of relatively radical changes to the genre, or experimentation rather.

They should really just make each version stand alone and treat it as if you are paying for the campaign, no one is buying WoL for the multiplayer anyway.

Also, guys. guys, foxtrot labs? TvT? Feels like BW, all the absurd combinations of attack paths, offset by small chokes and high/low ground really creates multi pronged armies and mini fortifications with turrets and bunkers etc. 1A would just get you killed otherwise.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Link to TB and Avilo fighting it out please

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
tvp fucking sucks. it just does. ugh.

im not talking about the pro level either. the diamond level is just supremely unfun.

Syf

Banned
That was pretty hard to listen to. Sounded like Avilo wanted to talk about the game but the other guys just kept going after his character.

Yoshichan

Fuck the SC2 community.

Now gonna continue sleeping.

Syf

Banned
One really interesting part of that video I'm wondering about. Does anyone know if it's true that they already said they won't be looking at any major redesigns for Legacy of the Void? I was kinda hoping they would be given that they're hiring for the lead game designer position for SC2.

Preferably someone who despises warp gates, coin flips and hard counters..

Zen

Banned
That was said a while ago, so maybe plans change, the hiring of a game designer and their overly long silence on LotV kind of makes me think something is up.

Top Bottom