• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
so fucking ez

get the shit out of here

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
WWWWWWWPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPPP

Syf

Banned
most importantly 750 WCS POINTS

ubIKAu4.png

peakish

I'm a bit disappointed in Zest, he played straight into Flash's hands several games in a row. I expected a bit more from him, although I'm very happy that Flash won! ROAD TO BLIZZCON

Aaron

I'm a bit disappointed in Zest, he played straight into Flash's hands several games in a row. I expected a bit more from him, although I'm very happy that Flash won! ROAD TO BLIZZCON
While I don't think Zest threw the series to his teammate, he seemed more just having fun with it than serious about winning. Flash too was a little less aggressive then he was in his games against Snute and Taeja.

I was interviewed during the event by some ppl doing a documentary called "Game Changer" that's supposed to release next year. I answered questions for a while and I'm sure they'll use the ones I disliked and not use the ones I liked :lol

Purdy

Is there a gaf group for SC2 that is active at all or kind of just a chat channel in the client? Been playing a bit recently and think I'm going to get back into it, haven't played 1v1 since first month of hots D:

Syf

Banned
There is a gaf group yeah, should be one of the first options if you just search for neogaf. I don't see people on too often though. There's also a gaf clan though an officer will have to invite you to that one.

Add me if you like, battletag Kherion#1360. I play SC2 and Diablo 3 sometimes.

kasane

I was interviewed during the event by some ppl doing a documentary called "Game Changer" that's supposed to release next year. I answered questions for a while and I'm sure they'll use the ones I disliked and not use the ones I liked :lol
I attended 4 days :p

No kissing the trophy doe

Even july kissed his golden mouse

Striek

Just caught up on the IEM vods, the level of play for most of it was fantastic, the finals not so much. MC vs. Flash was the definite highlight of the show. Was going to be a heartbreaker either way, MC has more personality than every other Korean combined and Flash is Flash.

The finals though, ugh, sullies Flash's first major win that it was against his teammate who maybe didn't throw, but didn't play well either.

Wedge7

Sick games. Watched them with a few buddies, had a great time. Was feeling Flash all weekend, but still, wont say I wasnt more than a big nervous. Apollo or QXC said it really well during the broadcast that their are certain players that you really want to do well for various reasons, but are always nervous that they are going to disappoint, and for me, Flash was def one of those players. Fantastic to see him get the first big major under his belt, and hopefully he can transition this sick run he has going and go further into GSL and Kespa cup. Who would have thought a few short months ago that Flash attending Blizzcon was even a remote possibility, and now, if he can do well in the next 2 tournies, its actually a real possibility. Makes me even more mad that I couldnt get tickets to Blizzcon now, bah, tried to time that damn site on both days the tickets went on sale, no dice.

Yea it sucks about blizzcon. If I could get tickets for a decent price I would love to go. Have a place to stay too but damn that ticket price ._.

Syf

Banned
Flash is up to 1375 points now with the IEM win and the 250 he already has just for qualifying for the kespa cup. GSL, kespa cup and dreamhack stockholm (if he attends) are all this month. I think that's it for possible WCS points unless there's some event in october that isn't on the WCS schedule. Hopefully he has the best month of his SC career lol.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Yea it sucks about blizzcon. If I could get tickets for a decent price I would love to go. Have a place to stay too but damn that ticket price ._.
I had to sell two tickets at cost. I don't think they are marked up much now. Buy them close to email transfer expiring date next time.

*Few are on sale just post on every forum you are looking for event pickup and you can get one. Always flakers every year.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Hello everyone. Just wanted to put some peeps on my barren friends list for Starcraft II. My Battlenet handle is commonfate.

I've never played much of a RTS game before and on a whim yesterday afternoon I gave the SCII starter edition a shot. I stayed up till 2 this morning (even though I had to be up at 5 for work) playing the campaign and watching Youtube videos on fundamentals. I'm a complete noob but I enjoy learning games and studying them.

I'm definitely staying away from the MP for a long while but I've made up something of a list in which to work on.
  • Game knowledge (recognizing all units and what they do)
  • Learning all keybindings
  • Nailing down the first few minutes of SVC's and initial structures
  • Using CTRL groups to micro
  • Balancing out combat with continued unit upkeep
  • Lots of game time to just make everything faster!
  • Theorycrafting/studying the game/watching high level games/critiquing my replays

Any "common sense" things I should know?

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Do you have the full version or still the starter edition?

Also which race do you play?

I bought the full version after hitting the campaign cap, I'm really loving the game.
Just playing terran for now due to familiarity. I've played some of those training maps with the really slow gamespeed against super easy AI, game starts to feel overwhelming once I already have dozens of units but still gotta think of things to do with production other than just spam marines.

Syf

Banned
Well I like what you listed there as things to work on. With practice you'll remember the hotkey setups for protoss. Generally as a protoss you want to chrono boost out warp gate tech fast and make sure you have a mothership core early on as it's effective defensively and offensively. Unfortunately the two campaigns only have a few protoss missions, but playing the campaign will still get you used to production and how to approach different situations. I would definitely recommend turning up the game speed to fastest for the campaign if it isn't already there by default. That's the default speed for all things starcraft so it's good to get used to it.

Big thing for new players is don't worry at all about your APM. Don't try to force yourself to play faster, that'll just give you bad habits; instead think about what you need to do next. Eventually you'll know what to do next without really thinking and your APM will gradually increase on its own.

Try out the challenge missions and the Starcraft Master arcade game when you feel like micro practice. Those will push you right to the limit on game knowledge and control.

For replays to watch, here's lots:
WCS Season 2
IEM Toronto

Watch how Zest plays in IEM Toronto, and there's plenty of protosses to watch in the WCS pack.

For sample builds you can check out this site: http://www.sc2builds.com/protoss. They aren't all great builds but it's a good place to get started on playing the right way in MP.

Also you mentioned wanting players on your friends list lol. You can add me, my battletag is Kherion#1360. I'm usually on a lot but classes start tomorrow so I'll usually be on in the evenings. Been grinding out vs AI and custom game achievements so I'd be up for some of those if you like, even very easy I'd be cool with.

Edit: didn't see your race edit. For terran just playing through campaign will help a lot then. Terran build orders: http://www.sc2builds.com/terran. And in the IEM pack you'll want to watch Flash and Taeja.

Syf

Banned
Oh and to use those replays just place them into your replay folder. Default for me is documents/StarCraft II/(your name)/replays/multiplayer. Then you can load them up in-game.

D

Deleted member 77995

Unconfirmed Member
Thanks, for the info. I have a lot to devour.
And yeah, I got a little confused on races there for a second (ha), still learning some of the basic terminology.

Top Bottom