• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
English teacher just asked us if we (students) have ever visited a forum on the Internet.

Needless to say, I gave SC2GAF a shoutout.

Wait, he was gone? He stopped doing dailies and such? Did he make a video of this while explaining? Link would be appreciated :)

He actually has a full time job making a game right now. So his evening have been more about relaxing aka playing Hearthstone and other games. He's casting redbull dc in 2 weeks or so so he's not out of the game completely.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow. So what does the hardcore Day9 follower say about this? No dailies anymore and such might break the interest for a lot or people.

This is one of the worst GSL rounds i've ever seen and that last loss by parting is one of the worst pro games i've ever seen. I've played bronze players with better stalker control than that. I think parting was trolling but still just god damn awful. Can't believe i just saw that.

Game 2 of inno vs parting is a must watch, still can't believe what happened in that game. Otherwise i'd recommend skipping tonights games in particular marus, i haven't been this disappointed in a while. Such an awful night of GSL, feels like a big step down from some of the quality i saw at IEM.

Syf

Banned
Too bad about Maru getting eliminated, he's pretty close to the top 16 for blizzcon but not sure where he's going to get any points now.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
Flash only needing to prepare against one matchup? EZ
He needs to win to go to Blizzcon so I will channel for him.

I can watch the GSL VODs in KR for free right?
In how many hours?
yoshi pls

GROUP D PREVIEW

GROUP D TOURNEY THREAD
http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-tournaments/466292-code-s-ro16-group-d-season-3-2014

4zSrdMp.png

Yoshichan

survivor

Banned
WCS will have full region locking next year. Goodbye NA WCS, it was fun watching you these last 2 years.

On the other hand Polt and Violet must be so happy right now. Easy money.

Syf

Banned
I'm worried about the effect this is gonna have on teams. It'll be cool to see foreign players in the WCS playoffs, but Koreans are going to suffer big time if Blizzard doesn't do something to help them out. The difference in talent level between GSL and AM/EU is going to be maybe the biggest it's ever been. Some great players won't even be able to make code S, and there's very few events held in Korea. Hell even code A will be stacked.

I think this is going to lead to quite a few retirements.

Code A is pretty stacked already. Plenty of good players get knocked out just in qualifiers.

One bright side is US considers Starcraft players athletes for visa requirements, which makes things a little easier there.

Some Koreans are already living in other countries: Polt, MC, Violet, Hyun, etc so hopefully they can just get Visas if they don't have them already.

Wedge7

I already dont watch WCS NA because its mostly shit tier NA players with a smattering of the same Korean players who always get to the top 16/top 8 every season. This will basically amount to a even crappier games and a few more retirements for fringe players, which is sad but honestly not a big deal.

GSL should continue to be the premier tournament as it always has been, and now it got even more ridiculous. Seems crazy that their resetting everyone's current status and everyone has to earn their spots again, but honestly, perhaps thats the most fair idea, but damn, not even making it into Code A is a legit possibility for a lot of high tier guys. Scary times.

Poor move imo. I was one of the ones who was asking for something like this when WCS first started but i'm not sure it's something you can add retrospectively. In hindsight i wonder which way would have actually been better anyway, i thought a lock would be better for the local scenes but i think that was off base.

I think what they really should do is try to encourage the players who do play in NA and EU to actually participate in the local scene. Make it compulsory to have 200 plus wins (the amount can vary) on the appropriate ladder before you can qualify. It should also have be on an account that isn't IIIIIIIIIII. Right now the biggest detriment to training in NA is that the ladder is a wasteland of talent.

I feel like this is a backwards step, we're actually seeing foreign players improving and competing more with Korean players. Hopefully we see a decent amount of Koreans get visas to keep the competition up somewhat.

Personally i'm interested in how this impacts viewership. In EU i don't think it's a problem, there will still be some Korean talent and the actual EU players are pretty damn good. Like the WCS that was purely based in Europe we have seen that EU can bring viewers without Koreans involved.

NA on the other hand might be a harder sell, what sort of players will we see qualifying if a lot of the Korean talent leaves? We may be left with some pretty poor quality especially in challenger league.

kasane

Whoa wec has an sc2 tournament too. it has bunny, snute, jaedong hero and others

and does the region lock mean only na citizens can play? I mean i don't even watch WCS america since its fucking shitty. GSL is gonna be even more stacked if it is what i think it is

survivor

Banned
Whoa wec has an sc2 tournament too. it has bunny, snute, jaedong hero and others

and does the region lock mean only na citizens can play? I mean i don't even watch WCS america since its fucking shitty. GSL is gonna be even more stacked if it is what i think it is

If you get a visa and live there then you can play. So players like Polt and Violet are fine. Other Koreans gotta get their papers sorted which I'm unsure how difficult it is.

If you get a visa and live there then you can play. So players like Polt and Violet are fine. Other Koreans gotta get their papers sorted which I'm unsure how difficult it is.

Mostly just $$$.

Golden said on Twitter it's easy to get Visas in EU so it sounds like Koreans like MC will be fine. Maybe some NA Koreans will go over there now.

Taeja on twitter: RIP China/Taiwan players.

I don't think I like this region lock at all.

kasane

what type of visas are you looking for? i got b1/b2 visa and it was easy as fuck. Also if you have tons of money you are almost guaranteed a us visa unless you have a record or something

Mostly just $$$.

Golden said on Twitter it's easy to get Visas in EU so it sounds like Koreans like MC will be fine. Maybe some NA Koreans will go over there now.

I don't think I like this region lock at all.

even more less viewers for shitty the already shitty wcs america

I don't think they're going to be too worried about losing viewers who literally had no intention of ever watching WCS NA. It was never and will never be the same quality as the GSL and nothing blizzard or anyone else does will change that.

I don't think it's 100% guaranteed to hurt viewership either. The most successful WCS event would have to be the WCS EU qualifier that got 100K plus viewers without any Koreans involved. It may well lose viewers but that's far from a certainty.

I'd like to see blizzards take on this. I thought WCS NA was essentially the home region for these players so this really screws them over. In general if you're not born as a part of one of these 3 regions you're getting hurt really badly by this change.

Everyone seems to be worried about the Koreans but it seems like people from China, SEA or any other region outside of NA/EU/Korea are the ones really getting hurt.

survivor

Banned
Players from China and Taiwan still get regional qualification slots into WCS NA so they are fine. Hell without ladder wildcards they might get even more spots into challenger league.

edit: though with them resetting everything, I think that means there will be less players from these regions unless the regional qualifiers increase in size significantly

kasane

4 hours till god

Players from China and Taiwan still get regional qualification slots into WCS NA so they are fine. Hell without ladder wildcards they might get even more spots into challenger league.

edit: though with them resetting everything, I think that means there will be less players from these regions unless the regional qualifiers increase in size significantly

the problem is there will be an over saturation on gsl

gsl is already stacked as it is now you're telling me every korean who aint a citizen is gonna go for gsl? its a real survival of the fittest

peakish

It seems weird that this change comes now. There may still be some point in making it easier for unknown foreigners to compete for top spots, just as it was two years ago, but for my money I've mostly seen the already good foreigners become even better which many put down to the presence of Koreans playing in their regions (this may or may not be the full truth of course). The EU scene is very fun to follow at this point, not in least also because ESL is doing a good job also with highlighting the local Koreans as they do other players.

I guess in some sense it's sad that EU players like Harstem and other up and comers have a difficult time even reaching Ro32, I think a healthy scene needs routes for grass roots players to earn good money and keep playing. That will presumably be easier if half or more of the Koreans leave. But will the scene in terms of viewership, quality games, and general fun be better off? I'm not sure. I'd probably prefer it if there were other ways besides WCS EU/AM for these newer players to succeed in, like leveraging regional Code A-likes.

It seems weird that this change comes now. There may still be some point in making it easier for unknown foreigners to compete for top spots, just as it was two years ago, but for my money I've mostly seen the already good foreigners become even better which many put down to the presence of Koreans playing in their regions (this may or may not be the full truth of course). The EU scene is very fun to follow at this point, not in least also because ESL is doing a good job also with highlighting the local Koreans as they do other players.

I guess in some sense it's sad that EU players like Harstem and other up and comers have a difficult time even reaching Ro32, I think a healthy scene needs routes for grass roots players to earn good money and keep playing. That will presumably be easier if half or more of the Koreans leave. But will the scene in terms of viewership, quality games, and general fun be better off? I'm not sure. I'd probably prefer it if there were other ways besides WCS EU/AM for these newer players to succeed in, like leveraging regional Code A-likes.

The EU region doesn't really need much changing, the foreign players there are improving and are slowly competing more and more against the Koreans. That plus the Koreans actually practice on the EU ladder and with those players. It's fucking awesome watching EU players stream and all of a sudden see them face an ex kespa player like sacsri or forgg. It's great for their training but as a fan it's fun to watch.

I agree that some sort of regional qualifiers and perhaps some sort of requirement to actually play on the ladder could improve things. In general i wonder how much this will impact the EU scene anyway. I think most of the top Koreans there will end up staying anyway.

the problem is there will be an over saturation on gsl

gsl is already stacked as it is now you're telling me every korean who aint a citizen is gonna go for gsl? its a real survival of the fittest

Honestly i don't know how much difference there will be. Take the IEM qualifiers, that already had something like 80 Korean players go for it. Korea is already incredibly stacked with talent. The best Koreans overseas will end up staying there anyway like MC, MMA, polt, violet, hyun etc. It's just some of the other ones will pretty much be stuffed unless they can get a visa because they have no chance of breaking into GSL.

Top Bottom