• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

So much awesome happening right now. Parting is streaming and he just got avilo on the ladder, so much awesome ensued as a result. Now avilo is raging about protoss and parting is making fun of avilo in chat. I love avilos stream but this is gold.

Edit: Parting is stream sniping him. This chat is hilarious, i think parting might be my favourite player now lol. His account is called my incontrol and his clan is lovein.

kasane

So much awesome happening right now. Parting is streaming and he just got avilo on the ladder, so much awesome ensued as a result. Now avilo is raging about protoss and parting is making fun of avilo in chat. I love avilos stream but this is gold.

Edit: Parting is stream sniping him. This chat is hilarious, i think parting might be my favourite player now lol. His account is called my incontrol and his clan is lovein.

his name is like that cause incontrol promised him a 100 bucks if he gets to na gm no 1

Is there anyone here that'd watch a replay or two of mine and pass along any advice? I am slowly getting in some games after getting placed into Gold (despite only one win out of my five placement matches). Took the advice of a few of you and stopped playing Random and am learning the ropes with Zerg since they've always been my favorite. I've got a decent 7-roach rush at 5:00 down, but it requires me to go Pool/Warren before a Hatchery. Seems modestly successful and at least gives me a goal for eachch game in terms of a clear plan and when to deviate from the plan.

Syf

Banned
Zerg is the race I haven't made master with yet. Can't really help ya man, sorry. Do we have any regular zerg players?

Though I can definitely watch your replays and try to help out. Link me up!

Is there anyone here that'd watch a replay or two of mine and pass along any advice? I am slowly getting in some games after getting placed into Gold (despite only one win out of my five placement matches). Took the advice of a few of you and stopped playing Random and am learning the ropes with Zerg since they've always been my favorite. I've got a decent 7-roach rush at 5:00 down, but it requires me to go Pool/Warren before a Hatchery. Seems modestly successful and at least gives me a goal for eachch game in terms of a clear plan and when to deviate from the plan.

I haven't played in quite a while but i still know zerg pretty well and can give you some advice. Post up a replay, there are others here who play zerg as well (not sure who will be reading though).

Syf

Banned
Parting joins... Yoe Flash Wolves? They are in a partnership with Startale for proleague next year so you can assume he'll be playing there again. I guess YFW is looking for real relevance in the scene.

I haven't played in quite a while but i still know zerg pretty well and can give you some advice. Post up a replay, there are others here who play zerg as well (not sure who will be reading though).

I do although I don't play often. I'm decent at watching and offering advice though.

Threw the replay up on Google Drive. If it is easier, I could record it with FRAPs and upload to YouTube, just let me know. Any advice is appreciated. I'm the Zerg player. It was a relatively short match, but my plan was to finish getting my natural up and running, grab a 3rd hatch at the next expansion spot as soon as possible, and transition into mutas/more roaches and lings/banelings depending on what the other guy was pulling up.

Threw the replay up on Google Drive. If it is easier, I could record it with FRAPs and upload to YouTube, just let me know. Any advice is appreciated. I'm the Zerg player. It was a relatively short match, but my plan was to finish getting my natural up and running, grab a 3rd hatch at the next expansion spot as soon as possible, and transition into mutas/more roaches and lings/banelings depending on what the other guy was pulling up.

That's a pretty good way of uploading, i got into it nice and quick. I'll be honest when i say it's hard to give too much advice from such a short game. I'm going to try and break this down into a few portions as i feel there are a few things to say here.

Firstly i'll approach this with advice strictly about the game and your build. My first piece of advice would be if you're going to do a build like this i'd try and work out an exact plan and focus on getting your timing down. Roach rushes like that are pretty old school and you don't see them much anymore but there is something like this if you want something to follow. http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/1_Base_Roach

There are a few things to note here which differ from what you did. You have to remember that the build you're doing is designed to be a rush. You want to be getting as much as you can as early as you can and rushing over to the opponents base to do damage. Skip those 4 lings as they're unnecessary when doing a rush like this. I'd recommend going with an earlier pool as per the above and making sure the roach warren goes down immediately when the pool finishes. Don't wait around massing your units, you just want to go go go as soon as you can. Especially when you know they have scouted you and have seen you have no second base.

When it comes to the follow up you have to decide if you're going to try and improve your economy or just straight up kill the other guy. I'm assuming by the fact that you put a hatch down that you're doing the former. In that case you should have stopped roach production and went into drones. Instead you put a hatch down but continued to slowly trickle out roaches. These roaches basically had no impact on the attack, some of them eventually made it to the battle once it was over but lots of them were just sitting on your side of the map.

In general as zerg you should either be building drones or you should be building army units. It depends on if you're attacking/defending or just building your economy. So you should always have in your mind which way you're intending to go.

I would also recommend spending time learning how well your units matchup against other units. In this game you could have easily killed him much earlier. You had as many roaches as he did hellions and marines, your army was significantly more powerful. Moving up and down the ramp made the engagement closer than it needed to be. In general with roaches but especially when you're doing a rush you should be trying to get your army on top of his as quickly as possible.

As more general advice i'd say you should probably decide if you're intending to play more standard or with highly aggressive builds like the one you did this game. I'd probably just pick one build order per matchup and focus on really learning the ins and outs of it. If you want to continue going for a build like the one you did this game i'd recommend going for something more standard like a 2 base roach rush or a baneling allin. There are more resources to learn about them and you'll have more success. That plus i think you'll learn more that way instead of attacking off 1 base.

I wouldn't mind seeing some longer replays so we can give you some more advice on injecting, scouting, managing your larvae/econ and so many other things. Actually depending on when you play i could probably give you a few matches and give you much better advice that way.

i really need the colors mod zen was using

if that was even a mod

That used to be a mod. Blizzard removed it ages ago but just recently added it back as a slider in the options menu.

kasane

Also i think my biggest advice to new players is learning a couple of solid build orders

Then tighten up your macro and refine your mechanics

Usually in lower leagues you just run over people because you have way more units than him on the back od your macro

Also scout, scout, scout

That's a pretty good way of uploading, i got into it nice and quick. I'll be honest when i say it's hard to give too much advice from such a short game. I'm going to try and break this down into a few portions as i feel there are a few things to say here.

Firstly i'll approach this with advice strictly about the game and your build. My first piece of advice would be if you're going to do a build like this i'd try and work out an exact plan and focus on getting your timing down. Roach rushes like that are pretty old school and you don't see them much anymore but there is something like this if you want something to follow. http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/1_Base_Roach

There are a few things to note here which differ from what you did. You have to remember that the build you're doing is designed to be a rush. You want to be getting as much as you can as early as you can and rushing over to the opponents base to do damage. Skip those 4 lings as they're unnecessary when doing a rush like this. I'd recommend going with an earlier pool as per the above and making sure the roach warren goes down immediately when the pool finishes. Don't wait around massing your units, you just want to go go go as soon as you can. Especially when you know they have scouted you and have seen you have no second base.

When it comes to the follow up you have to decide if you're going to try and improve your economy or just straight up kill the other guy. I'm assuming by the fact that you put a hatch down that you're doing the former. In that case you should have stopped roach production and went into drones. Instead you put a hatch down but continued to slowly trickle out roaches. These roaches basically had no impact on the attack, some of them eventually made it to the battle once it was over but lots of them were just sitting on your side of the map.

In general as zerg you should either be building drones or you should be building army units. It depends on if you're attacking/defending or just building your economy. So you should always have in your mind which way you're intending to go.

I would also recommend spending time learning how well your units matchup against other units. In this game you could have easily killed him much earlier. You had as many roaches as he did hellions and marines, your army was significantly more powerful. Moving up and down the ramp made the engagement closer than it needed to be. In general with roaches but especially when you're doing a rush you should be trying to get your army on top of his as quickly as possible.

As more general advice i'd say you should probably decide if you're intending to play more standard or with highly aggressive builds like the one you did this game. I'd probably just pick one build order per matchup and focus on really learning the ins and outs of it. If you want to continue going for a build like the one you did this game i'd recommend going for something more standard like a 2 base roach rush or a baneling allin. There are more resources to learn about them and you'll have more success. That plus i think you'll learn more that way instead of attacking off 1 base.

I wouldn't mind seeing some longer replays so we can give you some more advice on injecting, scouting, managing your larvae/econ and so many other things. Actually depending on when you play i could probably give you a few matches and give you much better advice that way.

Also i think my biggest advice to new players is learning a couple of solid build orders

Then tighten up your macro and refine your mechanics

Usually in lower leagues you just run over people because you have way more units than him on the back od your macro

Also scout, scout, scout

Thanks for the awesome reply AR and for your comments as well kasane. Very helpful stuff. I'll get another replay up next time I get into a longer match. I will look into a 2-base roach rush strategy and try to hammer out the timings with that. I think finding a decent build order/strategy and then just working on that for a while seems like a logical way to get better.

By the way, is there a list of hotkey short cuts anywhere? I am wondering if there are hotkeys besides just setting control groups and then of course the hotkeys for individuals unit commands (Move, Attack, spells, etc.)?

Syf

Banned
I am wondering if there are hotkeys besides just setting control groups and then of course the hotkeys for individuals unit commands (Move, Attack, spells, etc.)?
It's also handy to assign key camera positions to hotkeys. I usually use F1-F4 and assign them to my bases or important map areas.

Yes i use f1-f4 too

also flash 15k viewers when he streamed

god does not die

Those are insane numbers for a streamer. I doubt anyone has had those numbers streaming SC2 since something like Idra right back at the start of HOTS. Unbelievable but it shows that a little hype, even if it's just for a personal stream goes a long way.

Also i really need to actually use f1-f4, i've never tried them before but it seems like it could really help my game.

Ecto311

BIzZcBCl.jpg

Been using this build that almost always wins as zerg and finally got this. Been after plat since I started in the original SC2 beta. I think what did it for me was not playing every day but playing and winning 2 games a day or so and stopping. That way the bonus pool builds and if I lose I don't lose points and if I win I get a shitload. Hard for me to tell but the guy I beat to get to plat literally had no wall and 2 zealots by the time I got there with 8 roaches and a hand full of speedlings. Performance screen shows that he had 12apm. Kinda dumb when I work my ass off in a game against a diamond and win but nothing happens. Then I beat this guy that was probably all mouse and get promoted.

Ecto311

Yeah but then playing after the promotion I get matched against a terran that just keeps cheesing and I got matched against him 3 times. Each game the same tactic so I did get better but he just overwhelmed me with MMM and even on 6 bases I could not keep him back with my 3/3 lings, bane, muta, ultra mix. He didnt even spread just widow mines all over. Never been matched against the same guy 3 times in a row before.

Syf

Banned
That is a bit unusual to get someone so many times in a row. Though I mean if he had a working strat I don't blame him for repeating it. Maybe post a replay so we can give some advice?

Syf

Banned
oh my goodness I just happened to cook a fucking perfect rare steak. the outside is seared and the inside is red

can confirm if I'm not sick in the morning. if I don't respond within a week I probably gave myself a disease and well there's worse ways to go out than eating an undercooked steak

oh my goodness I just happened to cook a fucking perfect rare steak. the outside is seared and the inside is red

can confirm if I'm not sick in the morning. if I don't respond within a week I probably gave myself a disease and well there's worse ways to go out than eating an undercooked steak

Hopefully you've recovered before blizzcon!

TvT gas first is king if enemy is unprepared

it just auto wins and shit

Going gas late in both TvT and ZvZ is stupid. Same with going 2 gas late in PvP. Sure you get better economy to start but you die to almost any early aggression. ZvZ is the only one you can kind of survive an all-in depending on what kind and what map.

kasane

Going gas late in both TvT and ZvZ is stupid. Same with going 2 gas late in PvP. Sure you get better economy to start but you die to almost any early aggression. ZvZ is the only one you can kind of survive an all-in depending on what kind and what map.

well most terrans i place go rax before gas

if you go gas first and do the raven, tank, rine drop you auto win

well yeah its bad in mirror

but i like late gas against toss. I basically 14cc and hope i dont get punished

i always go reaper against zerg

tvt is exclusively gas first for me nowadays

Late gas in TvP is ok. 3/4 gate doesn't work in that match up if you go CC first you can usually afford to scan if you can't get into their main. Only thing you really have to worry about is proxy Oracle and maybe an Immortal all-in.

Top Bottom