• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Come on people

We're all buying LotV

Holden

and widow mines.

meh, i don't really care about other races (as long it is somewhat balanced)

it's just forcefield make the whole protoss race weak without it. I hate to just rely on such a gimmicky mechanic

I DONT KNOW THE HOTS META AT ALL.

early game: use defensivly to either hold your ramps from early units cause any unit can just kite the units so easily, or just vs protoss you just die to a 4gate

mid/late: the whole mechanic just makes forces the balance the units to be weak as fuck.
Just imagine a teamfight where forcefields didn't exist? Protoss would just get destroyed.

Protoss would need some sort of early unit to defend vs roaches. Dragoons?!?
And a later tech unit that can help the mid game army vs army. Reavers?!?

One can dream....

Pollux

Ok, first of all I'm terrible and never have really played SC2 beyond some dabbling here and there.

Now, on to the question re: build orders and play styles as a Terran.

I was messing around against the AI and I was wondering if it's possible to do a build order that's almost entirely made out of Thors?

I can see the biggest weakness being that it takes so damn long to upgrade to the point where you can consistently build them, and against someone like the Zerg (the AI was the Zerg in the match I just played) unless you have a handful of marines or hellions around you can get wiped before you build your first Thor.

But, basically, my question is, is focussing on building Thors or Siege Tanks as the primary military unit a viable strategy?

Syf

Banned
Marine + tank builds can still work. Tanks on their own get rekt. Thors are usually added in small numbers later in the game to add some beef and/or anti air to an army, but it's not a good idea to make them your primary unit. They're very slow, expensive and you're likely to get crushed before being able to mass them up anyway.

Also is there a thread for the SC2 global final? Ro16 starts in two days!

Marine + tank builds can still work. Tanks on their own get rekt. Thors are usually added in small numbers later in the game to add some beef and/or anti air to an army, but it's not a good idea to make them your primary unit. They're very slow, expensive and you're likely to get crushed before being able to mass them up anyway.

What?!?!?

I thought it was all on the 7th/8th. I'm going to have a lot more free time than I thought in LA!

Pollux

Ok, thanks. Just wanted to see if it was a viable strategy before spending too much time on working it out.

meh, i don't really care about other races (as long it is somewhat balanced)

it's just forcefield make the whole protoss race weak without it. I hate to just rely on such a gimmicky mechanic

I DONT KNOW THE HOTS META AT ALL.

early game: use defensivly to either hold your ramps from early units cause any unit can just kite the units so easily, or just vs protoss you just die to a 4gate

mid/late: the whole mechanic just makes forces the balance the units to be weak as fuck.
Just imagine a teamfight where forcefields didn't exist? Protoss would just get destroyed.

Protoss would need some sort of early unit to defend vs roaches. Dragoons?!?
And a later tech unit that can help the mid game army vs army. Reavers?!?

One can dream....

Or be Parting and defend against 20 Roaches with a few Stalkers, 2 Immortals and a Warp Prism.

Pollux

If I were to upload a replay to the internet would anyone be willing to take a quick look and let me know what i'm doing right, wrong, and where I need improvement?

Syf

Banned
Those aren't actually video replays but replays that anyone can load up in-game to watch your game. Upload yours to any old upload service and I'll be able to see the game. drop.sc is good.

Syf

Banned
The Artanis and mystery blizzcon portraits were awarded today. The blurred one is Matriarch Vorazun. New character I think yeah?

kTECjt8.png

Woorloog

Banned
The Artanis and mystery blizzcon portraits were awarded today. The blurred one is Matriarch Vorazun. New character I think yeah?

Probably a leader of one of the Dark Templar factions (the Protoss campaign will have multiple Protoss factions, no?).
I wonder if she'll be like Razagal (sp?) redux...

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Wow, some new protoss guy.

THE NEW FENIX?! BELIEVE

Woorloog

Banned
Wow, some new protoss guy.

THE NEW FENIX?! BELIEVE

Unfortunately i can see Blizzard making a character who is supposed to be like Fenix but will likely screw it up in two ways: 1) the character will just suck and 2), there's no replacing Fenix, and no copies are appreciated. IMO.

Syf

Banned
Yep works fine. First big point is for most terran builds you're gonna want to halt SCV production at around 15-16 supply to turn your command center into an orbital command for MULE and scan abilities, then restart SCV production after that's done. When expanding you'll want to turn your natural base into an orbital as well, as soon as possible. Also try to get into the habit of scouting your opponent and thinking about what sort of build they are going for. As terran I like to get an early gas so I can make a reaper to scout early and maybe pick off a few workers. When you expand it's a good idea to send workers from your main to your natural so they can be more efficient. 16/24 is good to shoot for and you were up to 34/24 at one point in your main which means a lot of SCVs were wasted.

Aside from those things it's not bad for a beginning player. Now work on teching up to stuff like factory, starport and upgrades. Learn to counter your opponent and always think about what you could be spending your resources on because you had a lot saved up, and that's not a good thing in the early-mid game.
And here's another one

I would appreciate any advice.
Downloading. We can watch replays together btw, might be a lil easier than doing it like this.

Pollux

Yep works fine. First big point is for most terran builds you're gonna want to halt SCV production at around 15-16 supply to turn your command center into an orbital command for MULE and scan abilities, then restart SCV production after that's done. When expanding you'll want to turn your natural base into an orbital as well, as soon as possible. Also try to get into the habit of scouting your opponent and thinking about what sort of build they are going for. As terran I like to get an early gas so I can make a reaper to scout early and maybe pick off a few workers. When you expand it's a good idea to send workers from your main to your natural so they can be more efficient. 16/24 is good to shoot for and you were up to 34/24 at one point in your main which means a lot of SCVs were wasted.

Aside from those things it's not bad for a beginning player. Now work on teching up to stuff like factory, starport and upgrades. Learn to counter your opponent and always think about what you could be spending your resources on because you had a lot saved up, and that's not a good thing in the early-mid game.
Downloading. We can watch replays together btw, might be a lil easier than doing it like this.

Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing the "think what build they're going for" is something that will just come with experience?

The second replay, well, I ended up getting my ass kicked and I don't know what I did wrong lol

Syf

Banned
Ok, thanks for the advice. I'm guessing the "think what build they're going for" is something that will just come with experience?

The second replay, well, I ended up getting my ass kicked and I don't know what I did wrong lol
Yeah a lot of it is just experience. I just watched the second replay and yeah it came down to lack of scouting and lack of any tech. Pure marine will get rolled over really easily. If you'd seen the banelings and roach/hydra coming and had better units ready to defend it would've gone better.

Pollux

Yeah a lot of it is just experience. I just watched the second replay and yeah it came down to lack of scouting and lack of any tech. Pure marine will get rolled over really easily. If you'd seen the banelings and roach/hydra coming and had better units ready to defend it would've gone better.

What should I have done there? Hellion/Marine combo?

Also, that was maybe my 4th game all time - so I think I did...eh. Should I experiment with other races or should I just stick with Terran?

Syf

Banned
What should I have done there? Hellion/Marine combo?

Also, that was maybe my 4th game all time - so I think I did...eh. Should I experiment with other races or should I just stick with Terran?
You can stay bio - but tech up to stim, combat shields, marauders and medivacs. Even something as small as a widow mine on your ramp can help a ton in defense. And yeah don't get me wrong you're doing good for how little you've played lol. It's good to know how the other races play so you'll know what to look for when scouting. Also just sent you a message in-game.

Syf

Banned
Update on Korea next year:
The Korean region is set for massive changes in 2015. Both GOMeXP and SpoTV will be running leagues for a total of six major tournaments in the year.

GOMeXP will hold three seasons of GSL with the tournament mostly unchanged from the existing Code A-Code S format. The prize money will be 100,000,000 won per tournament, with 40,000,000 won going to the winner. Players will be awarded an unspecified amount of WCS points.

SpoTV Games will hold three tournaments as well, with each tournament awarding 75,000,000 in total prize money (40,000,000 won to the winner). SpoTV's tournaments will be sixteen player tournaments and will award WCS points as well.

There are no region restrictions on GSL and or SpoTV tournaments, with players from any region able to compete.

Additionally, Blizzard has announced that outside GSL and SpoTV's "regular" tournaments, there will be several more WCS-point giving tournaments held in Korea.

I really like the changes. More tournaments in Korea is a good thing, and should spread out the money and WCS points better. GSL prize pool is down but with there being double the number of events it actually works out to about the same overall prize pool in Korea as in 2014, just with more chances to get a piece of it.

Yoshichan

I really like the changes. More tournaments in Korea is a good thing, and should spread out the money and WCS points better. GSL prize pool is down but with there being double the number of events it actually works out to about the same overall prize pool in Korea as in 2014, just with more chances to get a piece of it.

It works out about 40K won higher than last year which is good to see. I think it will be good to see the more opportunities for players to get WCS points/prize money as well instead of only having a handful of chances. More importantly though hopefully it leads to more exposure for the game in Korea which should be good for sponsorships.

The proleague season is also being extended. Can't help but think there must be slightly more interest in the game for these things to be happening. Good signs really, hopefully LOTV gives it a much needed shot in the arm as well.

Syf

Banned
Blizzard announces full 2015 WCS structure: http://wcs.battle.net/sc2/en/articles/2015-starcraft-ii-world-championship-series

Haven't read through it all yet, will edit with main points.

-WCS AM, EU and other eligible regions are merging into one unified WCS premier league (does not include Korea)
-For Korea there will be GSL and SpoTV individual leagues, both will count towards WCS
-Players can participate in both GSL and SpoTV leagues at the same time
-Both Korean leagues will be open to all players (no residency requirement)
-Same overall prize pool as 2014 ($1.6 mil)
-For premier league the Ro32 onwards will be live games in the ESL studios (4 groups at ESL EU, 4 groups at ESL AM)
-WCS qualifiers and challenger leagues will take place in 6 different regions to make up the 32 players in premier league
-To participate players must be residents of a country within one of the 6 regions

Here's the breakdown of the players per region for premier league:

survivor

Banned
Massive changes, poor NA region though. First they got their money stolen away by Koreans, and now Europeans will take it from them.

Won

I need to see how exactly the residency thing shakes out to judge that. Doesn't seem to be a bad idea to throw them together, but at the same time 32 sounds pretty small.

Syf

Banned
Doesn't seem to be a bad idea to throw them together, but at the same time 32 sounds pretty small.
Yeah this is what I'm wondering about, 32 players to represent all the regions outside of Korea seems pretty tiny. Though with there being two Korean leagues it might work out okay. We'll see.

Not sure what to make of this. 32 players really isn't enough spots to cover all of those regions so i'm kind of wondering how this is going to work. Even with the new residency rules there will be less opportunities now for foreign players (and there will still be quite a few spots being taken up by Koreans).

I won't judge it yet but on the surface i can't say i'm a huge fan. Wondering what they will do with challenger league as well.

Do we know which Koreans have actual:
Examples of acceptable identification
Professional athlete visa
Work visa
Student visa

?

Violet in NA, Polt in NA?

Do we know which Koreans have actual:
Examples of acceptable identification
Professional athlete visa
Work visa
Student visa

?

Violet in NA, Polt in NA?

Honestly not sure. I think they're the only ones in NA. In Europe i think there might be quite a few with proper visas but i'm not totally sure. Even if there were 0 Koreans 32 players doesn't seem like much so any above and beyond that really brings the number down.

Top Bottom