• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Syf

Banned
If they support challenger league better than they have in the past then I can see the system working nicely. The payout needs to be there for challenger league players or the system collapses imo. I am looking forward to the sort of finals we're going to have with this system though. Hopefully the final rounds aren't held in those small ESL studios. They should be full events like the season finals from 2013.

If they support challenger league better than they have in the past then I can see the system working nicely. The payout needs to be there for challenger league players or the system collapses imo. I am looking forward to the sort of finals we're going to have with this system though. Hopefully the final rounds aren't held in those small ESL studios. They should be full events like the season finals from 2013.

That would be awesome. Since they got rid of the season finals the WCS seasons don't feel very hyped. More like just a minor ongoing tournament. Would be great if we could see a similar production to what redbull gives us for the finals.

Edit: Some quick reading suggest there could be about 7-8 Koreans competing in EU. Considering the lack of spots and the quality of EU players i don't think it's a guarantee that they would all qualify.

Corran Horn

May the Schwartz be with you
Also Idra is back with EG, playing on their Heroes of the Storm team lol.

idralol.gif

Syf

Banned
So like the global final first round starts in 10 hours or so

Wish they hadn't bumped the first round to this weekend, but whatever. All I want tomorrow is an Innovation victory pls

SamuraiX-

I personally love the new changes with the unified Premier League.

Now we simply have an official foreigner league to match the official Korean league.

I do feel bad for guys like ForGG though. Is he just screwed? He's been with Millenium for over two years and has been living in Europe for almost that entire duration. Apparently he even has a German girlfriend now and he might be forced to move back to Korea since there'll now be minimum opportunities for him in Europe.

GLOBAL FINALS IN 7 HOURS GIT HYYYYYPE
MOKwfDo.png
MOKwfDo.png
MOKwfDo.png

kasane

Lol jd is so fucking rekt its not even funny anymore

Eg retirement curse breh.

As much as i hate to say it i think zest is winning.

If only flash wasnt sick during gsl biblethump

Syf

Banned
So uh hey.. hey Samurai, any chance you can make an OT for this? For old times sake and uh, stuff. You had the best event OTs

or anybody

I would but I'm still in bed on my phone (I wouldn't really I'm just too lazy)

pleeease

8qLqaEI.gif

SamuraiX-

These are incredible.

LOLLLLLL

So uh hey.. hey Samurai, any chance you can make an OT for this? For old times sake and uh, stuff. You had the best event OTs

or anybody

I would but I'm still in bed on my phone (I wouldn't really I'm just too lazy)

pleeease

8qLqaEI.gif

Oh, I thought by the sound of it that Yoshi was taking care of the BlizzCon thread + WCS Global Finals OT. I could try to throw something together if nobody else is already.

Syf

Banned
Yeah he mentioned a separate thread for the tournament in his blizzcon OT but maybe he doesn't realize the SC2 tournament is starting today? idk

Anyway, gogo Innovation! I can't decide between Bomber and JD. Also pls get rekt San and Stardust.

So.. how accessible is SC2?

I played SC1 a few times 10+ years ago. Also played Total Annihilation a lot.

But since then, haven't really played any RTS games.

Is it a given that if I started playing, I'm pretty much going to get destroyed online? :)

Woorloog

Banned

Is it a given that if I started playing, I'm pretty much going to get destroyed online? :)

There's a challenge mode that teaches various things. You might want to play the campaigns first too (they do teach basic mechanics and stuff). And then there's the practice league before you move on to ranked multiplayer.
I'd say it is pretty accessible. Blizzard is generally speaking pretty good at that.

There's a challenge mode that teaches various things. You might want to play the campaigns first too (they do teach basic mechanics and stuff). And then there's the practice league before you move on to ranked multiplayer.
I'd say it is pretty accessible. Blizzard is generally speaking pretty good at that.

I don't know you. I've never spoken to you before.

But I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

Aaron

You don't have to play just 1vs1. There are team games, and also arcade games, plus plenty of practice modes to get you started. Also, the campaigns do a great job of gradually increasing the mechanics and get you used to the game.

calder

Rough loss for JD, if only because he watched those banes almost win the match for him.

Edit: I've played hundreds of matches vs the AI, it's really fun.

Woorloog

Banned
I don't know you. I've never spoken to you before.

But I'm going to go ahead and buy it.

And you probably don't see me again either. I keep checking this thread if it will have LotV stuff before Blizzcon for some reason, something that probably won't happen.

My experience with SC2 MP ended up being limited to some beta games, and then a few placement matches for HotS, but i didn't keep playing as i figured playing this properly would have required too much focus, too much practicing. Also didn't like the adrenaline spikes. Also wasn't fun the way Warcraft 3 was.

Syf

Banned
After some experimentation, I think I'm switching from Terran to Zerg.
Nice thing about the game is you can win with whatever race you like to play. I don't play Zerg so can't really help ya if you have more questions, but I do think we have some Zerg players around. Practice that creep spread and queen inject timings.

Pollux

Nice thing about the game is you can win with whatever race you like to play. I don't play Zerg so can't really help ya if you have more questions, but I do think we have some Zerg players around. Practice that creep spread and queen inject timings.
Im probably gonna end up coming back to Terran but I just wanted to experiment with all the races before picking one. I've never played Protoss so I might try that at some point as well

Syf

Banned
Yeah it's a good idea to try out all three races. Knowing how they all work will help your game regardless of which race is your main.

Muta harass?

Make Mutalisks and run them around the back of the AI's base. Kill their workers. Run and hide when their forces show up. When their forces leave, run the Mutas back and kill more workers. Repeat. To be fair I haven't played against AI much and usually only against Hard or the rank above that in terms of difficulty, but I always got the impression they don't know how to handle this situation very well. They put up a couple turrets and such but usually are spaced so you only have to pick off one turret at a time, or even worse, are positioned badly enough that you can sneak by them to kill their workers and ignore the turrets.

kasane

tbh you can try all kinds of cheesy stuff against hardest ai and win

haven't tried unfair

i made a proxy cc into planetary and still won

SamuraiX-

Did anybody see this new community map from Crux last month?

It's called Bridgehead. Here's the thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/468728-2-crux-bridgehead-4-crux-road-kill

I love it. All the ramps and alternative paths give the map a whole different feel from anything else I've seen. Gives me Brood War chills. Hope it finds someway into a map selection competition so we can see pros test it.

Although, it also looks like a force field nightmare.

#protosskillingesports

kasane

It's called Bridgehead. Here's the thread: http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/sc2-maps/468728-2-crux-bridgehead-4-crux-road-kill

I love it. All the ramps and alternative paths give the map a whole different feel from anything else I've seen. Gives me Brood War chills. Hope it finds someway into a map selection competition so we can see pros test it.

#protosskillingesports

no high ground advantage is just plain dumb

should be less resources for bases so players will fight for that valuable space. Then again force fields

#justprotossthings

Make Mutalisks and run them around the back of the AI's base. Kill their workers. Run and hide when their forces show up. When their forces leave, run the Mutas back and kill more workers. Repeat. To be fair I haven't played against AI much and usually only against Hard or the rank above that in terms of difficulty, but I always got the impression they don't know how to handle this situation very well. They put up a couple turrets and such but usually are spaced so you only have to pick off one turret at a time, or even worse, are positioned badly enough that you can sneak by them to kill their workers and ignore the turrets.

AI on harder difficulties eventually give up chasing your Muta's and go for your bases with an army you can't beat straight up. Unless you have like 40+ upgraded Muta's they'll kill your bases faster than you'll kill theirs. Only really tried it against Terran though who I have the most trouble with. Protoss I can usually beat with Roach/Hydra if they don't attack early and Zerg is pretty easy to beat with mass Roach as long as you watch out for cheeses.

There is still an advantage to having the high ground. Not really sure what you guys are looking at but with that many ramps and openings and in general on a map that size FF's don't really seem that great at all.

tbh you can try all kinds of cheesy stuff against hardest ai and win

haven't tried unfair

i made a proxy cc into planetary and still won

Builds like that don't just work against ai, you can do all sorts of crazy shit against proper players.

A few cheeses like the proxy CC into Planetary will usually work against all AI. I haven't tried it much but AI will respond with workers if you try to cannon rush near them but I haven't tried in awhile.

kasane

A few cheeses like the proxy CC into Planetary will usually work against all AI. I haven't tried it much but AI will respond with workers if you try to cannon rush near them but I haven't tried in awhile.

yeah they will pull probes but if you just commit to the rush they will surely lose

Lethe82

Banned

#protosskillingesports

Imagine if Legacy of the Void removed Force-field.

EDIT: And added high ground advantage.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
plz warhound

PLZ WARHOUND

make it as broken as it was during beta

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
>plays a match just because it was such a long time ago and I want to give this game another try

> zerg (me) vs protoss

> I demolish him, killing almost every worker he has (two bases)

> I decide to get more ahead now that his economy is completely crippled and I'm at two based, total of 40 drones

> I get mutas, start harassing

> Can't find a moment to kill protoss

> Protoss gets too stronk archon/zealot/immortal/phoenix composition

> A Clicks and kills me

Yeah, this game still sucks my ass after taking a huge shit. Dustin Browder, along with David Kim are horrible people who I honestly think should get some sort of incurable disease. Not a disease that actually kills them, but rather stops them from making horrible, horrible games like these.

Top Bottom