• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
1v1 lotv
D2brewmaster.png
Im on

Fanboi vs me

LotV beta

fanboi

Banned
im surprised to say this, but lotv looks good, im pretty sure i said the same of sc2:hots doe, and didnt play more than 10 mp games

jävlar son

translation: all according to keikaku
no wait what: damn son

Wooops... you are så klart an old timer mannen.

Im on

Fanboi vs me

LotV beta

Have to få tag on the person (what is his name... was banned from here) to get an inbjudan to Lotv beta.

EDIT: Mascalineyes!

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Jag gillar era mammor

Yoshichan

Hahahshshahahahha

Tacitus_

pfft, you bättre folk and your code.

Anyone else hyped for the co-op multiplayer? Depending on how it comes together, it might actually make me play the multiplayer.

Lethe82

Banned
You made the french?

pfft, you bättre folk and your code.

Anyone else hyped for the co-op multiplayer? Depending on how it comes together, it might actually make me play the multiplayer.

Should be a decent novelty mode, alas basically none of my friends can micro or macro as well as me.

I think that Commander mode will be a nice draw for people who aren't traditionally into MP as well (multiplayer PvE, hero progression). Depends on what they do with it.

Syf

Banned
LotV beta in first half of next year. Just said at panel.

-there will be a ranked ladder for archon mode
-gonna add more skins if the engine doesn't suffer
-more units they're working on that just weren't ready to show today
-LotV isn't really considered the end. They're going to continue supporting it with patches, maps, even new units if need be
-they consider it the end of the Kerrigan/Raynor/Zeratul story but not the end of Starcraft
-talked about maybe adding official ladders for popular mods
-theme of LotV mp design is more micro for both sides

-LotV isn't really considered the end. They're going to continue supporting it with patches, maps, even new units if need be
-they consider it the end of the Kerrigan/Raynor/Zeratul story but not the end of Starcraft

I'm happy about this.

Lethe82

Banned
So great to hear that they will stick it out another year.

I know this is kind of the same support they have offered already, but I'm feeling the long term F2P direction. It just makes so much sense (after they have made their big bucks off the retail package). On the other hand the comment about adding new skins 'if the engine can handle it' makes me worried. Since presumably skins and the like would be a corner stone of a F2P model.

Syf

Banned
I know this is kind of the same support they have offered already, but I'm feeling the long term F2P direction. It just makes so much sense (after they have made their big bucks off the retail package). On the other hand the comment about adding new skins 'if the engine can handle it' makes me worried. Since presumably skins and the like would be a corner stone of a F2P model.
Agreed about them taking the game F2P eventually. When he talked about the engine stuff, he didn't specifically say that he knows the engine can't handle it, just that it's something they're looking into and that would be one of the possible reasons to not add a bunch of skins. Basically performance comes first and if skins detract from that in any way, they won't happen.

SamuraiX-

I just have to share this amazing reddit post:

Can we all said:
Blizzcon 2014. Grand final. MMA vs Life. Biggest audience SC2 is gonna get all year. Widest amount of non-Starcraft eyes on the screen.

You're Artosis. Your entire career has been basically, "Get WAY better at most people a videogame, then get beat by a Plott brother". Ah, he was just better mechanically than me. But I know more than him! Oh, I know more than everyone else, and everyone knows that, except for the Plott brothers! They love them more! But I'm still the better analyst! No, please dont let Artosis pylon become a thing... damnit. I can still predict what's going to happen better than the Plotts! At Blizzcon, everyone will see that I'm such a great caster at HS and SC2 and think that Artosis is the king!

And here we are, at the grand finals, after MMA just won a crucial game 3, and a scrawny teenager who is nerdy and introverted by Korean progaming standards is brought in front of 130K viewers and hands down what just be the most devastating Artosis character assassination to date.

"Because Artosis predicts MMA will win, he now cannot win."

Smix takes that package and wraps it up into a nice, bite size tablet for all audiences to deliver. "The Artosis curse is real."

A table full of Plotts laugh.

The biggest community SC2 will reach in years laugh.

The name Artosis, once again, becomes synonymous with failure in the culture of his favorite game. And as the SC2 community takes an uncertain look into the future, it's put on display more than in any time in history, that Artosis, no matter how completely, TOTALLY good he gets at something, will always be getting laughed at by a Plott brother.

And there is nobody saltier about all of this than Artosis.

http://www.reddit.com/r/starcraft/comments/2lq9yv/can_we_all_for_a_moment_appreciate_what_just/

Glorious. XD

Lethe82

Banned
As a junior I can't make threads but I feel like this belongs in the gaming section.

WCS Global Finals 2014 just broke the online viewership record for SC2 (150k +)

http://www.fuzic.nl/events/4014-wcs-grand-finals/

There are currently no more seats at the Blizzcon arena!

The entire venue is filled up and no more people are allowed inside.

B1874T9CQAAdpYp.jpg:large

YES, the stadium was FULL

DED GAM!

Not even counting all a lot of huge streams like

While 140k viewers on Twitch is amazing, the Chinese stream alone for WCS is hitting 115k viewers!

http://www.douyutv.com/scboy

The finals were probably 300k+

Syf

Banned
It did end up being a good event for SC2 despite the terrible technical difficulties. But if a thread like that gets posted in gaming you can count on moba shitposters showing up. Couple more pics:

Lethe82

Banned
Oh man thanks. Watching now.

EDIT: Done. Overall really happy with their answers, though I do have a concern (well less of a concern and more of a design critique).

I feel like, even with some units in LotV, that they are designing units with far too much of a focus on creating absolute counters to one another. The reason that the immortal change is great is because it weakens it as a hard counter unit while generally giving it a buff against units it did not counter before, but one that is based on skill. Yet we see new units being introduced like the Herc that seemingly exist to hard counter things like bane-lings, that are extremely easy to execute (get in range select unit to latch). A big problem with Starcraft II as an RTS is its reliance on hard counters with massive DPS and high attack rates, combined with how quickly your production and econ can ramp up.

This creates situations where, with very little skill from a player (regardless of race, I'm serious!) you can take a fight and win it very decisively, only to allow it to snowball into a win off the back of rallied production. This is ultimately why we see a lot of NR15 matches that will end after one big engage because you have th econ and production to just flood afterwards, or god forbid hour long passive PvZs that end in a one sided engagement (because you can't engage cost effectively due to hard counters existing or even if you do, econ and production being so strong makes the advantages gained from cost effective trades intangible more often than not).

So how do you 'fix' Starcraft II? Well they answered a part of the problem with the mineral change, as it will force the player to spend more of their money (that otherwise would have gone to production ramp up) more frequently on securing expansions. But what we need is for players to be able to more effectively engage versus the other player while being able to use micro to gain advantage that is tangible, while also giving them more opportunities to preserve units in micro intensive ways. Also, there would be more action on the map if players didn't have to spend time diverting attention to mechanical requirements that perpetuate the snowball effect, op production, and so on.

- Reduce the attack rate slightly (moderately?) across the board, giving players more time to properly manage their units, allowing for more micro and preservation without as much 'lost' dps. Some units speed might have to be tweaked, or damage versus type, but y'know. Banelings would be stronger in this scenario, but maybe increasing their damage radius while lowering overall damage would help, forcing bigger splits to compensate.
- Take away needless macro mechanics like chrono boosts, and injects, and nerf mules slightly, giving them players more time to focus on harassment, engagements, and multipronged attacks without 'falling behind' as much in other areas. Part of the reason that SCII rewards passive play is because DPS is so high, that you advantages gained from micro don't outweigh the benefits of simply nailing all your injects and macro in the lead up and then getting that 'perfect' engage when your opponent can't possibly salvage the situation because he's dead by the time he starts controlling his first clump in response. This is also why so many games seem to come down to 1 strong 1 2 or 3 base push that rarely ends in a draw or a mere advantage without one or the other being 90% 'dead' even if they have not gg'd yet.
- Focus on creating unit advantages and further advantages gained through micro, not hard counters. Marines splitting properly against a lurker should be the counter, not a unit that happens to kill it 100% of the time just by clicking the move button'.

A lot of what we are talking about here wouldn't be as big of a deal if units weren't so amazing at moving into range and clumping, I mean in Brood war even when 200/200 armies clashed only a relatively small portion was engaging at a given time, but I digress.

Maybe I'm wrong, and don't get me wrong, I love SCII, and will play it forever, but I can't help but feel that the sequel series has constantly been trying to cover up and save face for mistakes that were made very early in basic design decisions of the games. So much of SCII has been trying to make a system that is not optimal work by way of creating more and more overly defined 'gimmick' units to try and address problems that exist because of deeper issues.

DIT2: the more I think about it the more I'm coming to think that the resource reduction won't actually solve the economy issues with the game. Maybe will talk about that in another post.

/team wet blanket ftw!

lovt will still be amazing

Lethe82

Banned
What region will he be playing in?

I have started trying out the new Lotv econ extension in customs, will report finding (also playing on the godly Bridgehead map, seriously might be the best SCII map ever made).

Random other features I would like to see in LotV

- separate MMR per race
- ability for users to create and manage tournaments (I think they said this would be coming after automated tournaments get working)
- ability for users to create separate user curated ladders with your own map pool and even extension mod applied if you want (will at least help map making community get some love as there would be a ladder or two that floats to the top based around community maps). That would also allow people to build and bring in 'brood war' 'starbow' ladders without Blizzard having to do anything but create the infrastructure to make it possible.
- Actually build the game around going f2p eventually with skins etc being a focus. They said that the engine problems aren't in 1v1 or 2v2 but once you go to 4v4. Well why not just disable opponents custom skins if they are playing a 4v4 game and it is calculated that it would cause performance issues.

Hi hi :>

I didnt realise there is Community thread for SC2 <3 Thank you for link, Lethe! <3

I'm a lil zergling reporting for duty o7.

OK, now to reread a few back pages :>

*subscribes*

Wedge7

Man, Blizzcon..that was something. Felt very, I dont know, anticlimatic? Maybe it was just the constant delays and technical shit that sorta left a bad taste in my mouth. I probably over hyped it slightly as well, so its partially my own fault. The long gap in WCS seasons and lack of other tournies at the time ala DH's or IEMS or proleague etc as well made the wait seem even longer, so I had this pent up desire to watch SC2. Just seemed more like a huge miss when it had the potential to be incredible.

Anyways, another Blizzcon ends and now the new inevitable seasons will soon begin, so thats pretty exciting. Proleague is starting in December I think (?), and the new WCS seasons should hopefully begin in like Jan or Feb I would assume. Besides HSC and Hot Six cup starting in like a week, are their any tournies for the next month or so?

Syf

Banned
Think that's it for the year other than the ones you mentioned. HSC X will be awesome. And yeah Proleague starts up in December as well.

Lethe82

Banned
Agreed about them taking the game F2P eventually. When he talked about the engine stuff, he didn't specifically say that he knows the engine can't handle it, just that it's something they're looking into and that would be one of the possible reasons to not add a bunch of skins. Basically performance comes first and if skins detract from that in any way, they won't happen.

If the engine has problems, they should just put work into the engine, justify it however they want (Heroes using the same engine might give them some leeway), but this is one of their three tentpole IPs, treat it right!

SamuraiX-

Man, Blizzcon..that was something. Felt very, I dont know, anticlimatic? Maybe it was just the constant delays and technical shit that sorta left a bad taste in my mouth. I probably over hyped it slightly as well, so its partially my own fault. The long gap in WCS seasons and lack of other tournies at the time ala DH's or IEMS or proleague etc as well made the wait seem even longer, so I had this pent up desire to watch SC2. Just seemed more like a huge miss when it had the potential to be incredible.

Anyways, another Blizzcon ends and now the new inevitable seasons will soon begin, so thats pretty exciting. Proleague is starting in December I think (?), and the new WCS seasons should hopefully begin in like Jan or Feb I would assume. Besides HSC and Hot Six cup starting in like a week, are their any tournies for the next month or so?

I couldn't tell which I enjoyed more between BlizzCon 2013 and 2014. Both had amazing stories. The only real fantastic matches I could remember from 2013 was Bomber vs MMA and Jaedong vs Dear. The rest were all good but not great. With the 2014 Global Finals, we had Zest vs Life, TaeJa vs soO, and TaeJa vs Life. I think put 2014 ahead just because it was a feelgood story for Life that he just kept finding a way when everyone just kept doubting him. He also won all of his matches with superb play, sharp instincts and fun tactics, rather than resorting to gimmicks and cannon rush type of antics like sOs did in almost all of his matches. Definitely much more satisfying to see a 17 year prodigy of the past rise to greatness yet again after everybody pretty much forgot what an incredible player he was.

Think that's it for the year other than the ones you mentioned. HSC X will be awesome. And yeah Proleague starts up in December as well.

Don't forget DreamHack Winter and IEM San Jose!

And yeah, by the time all of that wraps up... new season of SPL!

The last few weeks playing numbers online have been way up. Today is probably the highest i've seen them in over a year and by quite a margin.

As a junior I can't make threads but I feel like this belongs in the gaming section.

WCS Global Finals 2014 just broke the online viewership record for SC2 (150k +)

YES, the stadium was FULL

DED GAM!

Not even counting all a lot of huge streams like

http://www.douyutv.com/scboy

The finals were probably 300k+

Pretty impressive for China considering how much the region has been ignored.

kasane

oh fuck i remember the old maps were perfect swarm host vs siege tank games

fuck me

The last few weeks playing numbers online have been way up. Today is probably the highest i've seen them in over a year and by quite a margin.

Pretty impressive for China considering how much the region has been ignored.

douyu tv numbers are inflated to all hell

its probably in the region of 200k

survivor

Banned
I really wish the Hot6ix Cup qualifiers were streamed somewhere. Today we had TY, Rain, Solar, Rogue and few others competing. Lots of potentially good matches we are missing out.

Top Bottom