• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

calder

Lol the shitty 2-piece trophy fell apart.

It's a cup, always surprised when ppl don't realize the top will be a lid. Parting paper champion confirmed, 100% certain Flash - with the soul of a real winner - would have know that and adjusted to the trophy.

Hmm actually maybe a few more blink aided wins for Protoss will ensure that Terrans don't get the cyclone removed from LotV before launch. So, silver lining?

SamuraiX-

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL TempO

dat Kanye West cameo

dverkmD.gif

Lethe82

Banned
Did Flash really need to push it after sacrificing some SCVs and forcing Parting off his natural? He had a widow mine in the gold mineral line, PartinG had no Robo and the starport was unpowered/dead so no detection. Is it because Parting could have just expanded to a third at his natural and Flash would be behind?

SamuraiX-

PartinG said he'd jump in the pool with the trophy if he won it. So, naturally, TaKe, FunKa and Rotti had to join him. :p

Did Flash really need to push it after sacrificing some SCVs and forcing Parting off his natural? He had a widow mine in the gold mineral line, PartinG had no Robo and the starport was unpowered/dead so no detection.

I remember PartinG sending a Probe out to repower the Stargate. Don't think Flash ever contested it. My guess is PartinG used the last Oracle to kill off the Widow Mine at the gold.

But yeah, Flash should never have pushed the issue. I doubt he smelled blood in the water. He must've felt he had to try to close it out before PartinG took too much advantage of the gold. I remember before Flash pushed out, the supplies were dead even but Flash was 102/102 and he just queued up 3 supply depots... seeing himself get supply blocked probably made him feel mortal and so he panicked. :p

SamuraiX-

With 3 premier tournaments left in 2014, here's a breakdown of winners for each race as of now:

Terran - 11
Zerg - 8
Protoss - 13

But no, please continue telling me more about how Terran is so imba.
3Ftncca.png

Wow, most impressive thing I've seen in this tourney was the next-level historic HSC finals knowledge Rotti just busted out.

Rotti always has an incredible knowledge of pro SC2 games. Whenever he casts he seems to be able to remember the players previous performances so well.

With 3 premier tournaments left in 2014, here's a breakdown of winners for each race as of now:

Terran - 11
Zerg - 8
Protoss - 13

But no, please continue telling me more about how Terran is so imba.
3Ftncca.png

This entire year has been nothing but one long whine about how protoss has been more broken than ever and terran is utterly useless. If anything terran is on track to be the best race for yet another expansion and yet again we had to listen to complaints about protoss being imba and terran being awful all the way.

I don't think anyone was saying terran was imbalanced all year either. Tournaments since June

Terran - 11 wins, 8 runners up
Zerg - 6 wins, 5 runners up
Protoss - 3 wins, 6 runners up

I don't think any race is imba right now, balance is in a good spot. Considering just how much vitriol has been directed at protoss all year (including now) i'd say those numbers aren't all that impressive.

Aaron

Yeah, I think the game balance is the best it's ever been. Life and Parting both won because they're exceptional players with a variety of builds and godlike micro. Players are losing because they make small mistakes, not out of any imbalance issues.

Lethe82

Banned
I remember PartinG sending a Probe out to repower the Stargate. Don't think Flash ever contested it. My guess is PartinG used the last Oracle to kill off the Widow Mine at the gold.

But yeah, Flash should never have pushed the issue. I doubt he smelled blood in the water. He must've felt he had to try to close it out before PartinG took too much advantage of the gold. I remember before Flash pushed out, the supplies were dead even but Flash was 102/102 and he just queued up 3 supply depots... seeing himself get supply blocked probably made him feel mortal and so he panicked. :p

I found it really surprising that flash did not simply take out the star-port at any point in the game. If there are any issues that Flash currently has in TvP it is taking aggression lightly, overstimming, and over committing with his army (especially in situations where he will actually get further ahead over time like when he had widow mines in mineral lines with the toss having no detection).

That last one is so frustrating though, because against let's say any other protoss you kind of need to commit that heavily, but if the Protoss has blinks that perfect it is exactly what you should not be doing and there's no way to read that until it's probably too late.

Still, Flash is phenomenal. I really thought this would be his second tournament win, but second place is still exceptional, as is coming back from such a deficit. At first it seemed like Flash could only edge out games where PartinG had horrible starts, but as the series went on Flash was competing and beating him legitimately. I kind of think that if they played 10 games, flash would get the majority but every game was such a knifes edge and you would have to be a massive douche to hate PartinG after his emotional victory speech.

SamuraiX-

I found it really surprising that flash did not simply take out the star-port at any point in the game. If there are any issues that Flash currently has in TvP it is taking aggression lightly, overstimming, and over committing with his army (especially in situations where he will actually get further ahead over time like when he had widow mines in mineral lines with the toss having no detection).

That last one is so frustrating though, because against let's say any other protoss you kind of need to commit that heavily, but if the Protoss has blinks that perfect it is exactly what you should not be doing and there's no way to read that until it's probably too late.

Still, Flash is phenomenal. I really thought this would be his second tournament win, but second place is still exceptional, as is coming back from such a deficit. At first it seemed like Flash could only edge out games where PartinG had horrible starts, but as the series went on Flash was competing and beating him legitimately. I kind of think that if they played 10 games, flash would get the majority but every game was such a knifes edge and you would have to be a massive douche to hate PartinG after his emotional victory speech.

I still think Flash's TvP is really solid. He usually scouts really well and has at his disposal a tool bag of tricks and timing attacks as deep as any other elite Terran in the matchup. He definitely suffers from the same issues that Bomber did/does though, which is pushing the issue when he should either be cutting his losses or being content with whatever damage and/or trading he did and back off.

Speaking people who were not amused by the outcome of Game 7, I completely missed qxc's reaction in this shot: http://gfycat.com/PoshQuestionableIchthyostega

The salt is quite palpable.

Lethe82

Banned
I still think Flash's TvP is really solid. He usually scouts really well and has at his disposal a tool bag of tricks and timing attacks as deep as any other elite Terran in the matchup. He definitely suffers from the same issues that Bomber did/does though, which is pushing the issue when he should either be cutting his losses or being content with whatever damage and/or trading he did and back off.

Speaking people who were not amused by the outcome of Game 7, I completely missed qxc's reaction in this shot: http://gfycat.com/PoshQuestionableIchthyostega

The salt is quite palpable.

Haha I saw that as well. In re-watching the end of game 7 the widow mine was still going strong, though PartinG did re-power his gateway, the oracle that poped came to fight with the army. if flash had reacted one second sooner he could have sniped the pylon that was warping in Partings entire new production round and would have won the game I think. Still, no need to go QXC levels of salt, Flash is steadily improving (still!) and will only improve. 14-1 before the finals and 17-5 overall? And we're sitting here talking about how he needs to fix some things in his TvP game when he was fighting insane micro/macro from Parting/

You are completely right about Flash bag of tricks/timings. If he can get his little bad habits ironed out his TvP will go from 'really solid' to 'great', imo.

Right now he's kind of like this

TvT: Perfect
TvP: Really Solid
TvZ: Unbelievably good, but his style may not work against the 'Flash calibur' Zergs (of which there are few)

I missed all of his TvZs this tournament, is he still relying on Macro MMMHT?

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
All my alts in SC2 are recognizable

Do you know how

Lethe82

Banned
Are they all based off Mario Characters with cahn at the end?

Also shout out to Funka and Smix (who recently got GM on KR, I believe?)

Haha I saw that as well. In re-watching the end of game 7 the widow mine was still going strong, though PartinG did re-power his gateway, the oracle that poped came to fight with the army. if flash had reacted one second sooner he could have sniped the pylon that was warping in Partings entire new production round and would have won the game I think. Still, no need to go QXC levels of salt, Flash is steadily improving (still!) and will only improve. 14-1 before the finals and 17-5 overall? And we're sitting here talking about how he needs to fix some things in his TvP game when he was fighting insane micro/macro from Parting/

You are completely right about Flash bag of tricks/timings. If he can get his little bad habits ironed out his TvP will go from 'really solid' to 'great', imo.

TvZ: Unbelievably good, but his style may not work against the 'Flash calibur' Zergs (of which there are few)

In TvZ he still mostly goes for hellbats over mines, it works for him but i'm still not convinced it's as good. Otherwise though my problem with flash in TvZ is he often poorly defends his expansions compared to other top terrans. Things like skipping bunkers and even walloffs at his third. I'm pretty sure he did the same thing against snute in game 1, snute just wasn't able to take advantage of it. Against other real top zergs at times i find that is a bit of a weakness for him.

TvP my only complaint is he doesn't really drop as well as other top terrans. The best TvP players in the world are the ones who can pull the protoss apart with constant drops.

In the end though we're talking about close to the best player in the world so it's hard to find faults in his play.

Aaron

Flash's drops against Taeja were excellent though. He's got the skills, but for some reason drops very little against zerg.

survivor

Banned

Yeah Hellbats/Thors and the regular bio is his main composition against Z. But from his games past 2 months, I have seen him mix up 2rax with some 2 base timings instead of just going for long macro games. He also does that early aggression with medivac full of marines and followed by hellions.

SamuraiX-

breh you in there?

You know it! Bought the early discount tickets even.

I was saying a few posts back I would lose my shit if Bomber was one of the four wildcard players to be invited.

Hope you fools enjoyed that. :p

A tattoo artist.

You're a motherfucking GENIUS!

Oh, should I go then?

We got Bomber, Rain, herO, Jaedong and Polt live in action.

That answer is undoubtedly: "yes" ;D

Wedge7

Any english vods of HSC up yet? Only see russian on youtube.

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/HomeStory_Cup/10/VODs

Man though, late to the party but what a sick tourney HSC was. Was enthralled the whole time, though I never watched them live as the time zones were just out of whack, enjoyed the hell out of the vods every day though. Such a sick finals, what made it even crazier was how it felt like Flash had it, jeez, what a painful finish. First few games were painful to watch, such a brutal spanking, abusing those stalkers. Still what a fun tournament, loved the casting as well, like always.

Hotsix Cup starts in like an hour as well. Another chance for Flash to start off the new season with a bang, getting some sweet WCS points. Pretty interesting match up tonight, should be fun.

(T)INnoVation <> (P)herO
(P)Stats <> (T)MarineKing

Should be pretty fun to watch MarineKing
get owned 0-4

Lethe82

Banned
http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/HomeStory_Cup/10/VODs

Man though, late to the party but what a sick tourney HSC was. Was enthralled the whole time, though I never watched them live as the time zones were just out of whack, enjoyed the hell out of the vods every day though. Such a sick finals, what made it even crazier was how it felt like Flash had it, jeez, what a painful finish. First few games were painful to watch, such a brutal spanking, abusing those stalkers. Still what a fun tournament, loved the casting as well, like always.

Hotsix Cup starts in like an hour as well. Another chance for Flash to start off the new season with a bang, getting some sweet WCS points. Pretty interesting match up tonight, should be fun.

(T)INnoVation <> (P)herO
(P)Stats <> (T)MarineKing

Should be pretty fun to watch MarineKing
get owned 0-4

Oh man I didn't realize it was starting so soon, thanks for the heads up.

EDIT: Show some respect! MKP 2-0'd Maru recently!

SamuraiX-

herO took a third Nexus at 5:45 on Overgrowth.... and he's gonna get away with it because INno loves throwing away units...

I just... I can't.....

SamuraiX-

The King LIVES!

I think everybody predicted Stats to absolutely wreck MKP. He sure as shit didn't get through that insanely stacked qualifier group based on luck.

Edit: MKP snaking through those force fields to pick off 2 Colossi
E9xhP6R.png

SamuraiX-

herO's sphincter is constricted so tightly at the thought of facing MKP in the winners match that he actually asked for GOM to bring out a brand new computer for him.

Top Bottom