• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

GSL Ro16:

BHLwoLd.png

Pretty stacked, but that's to be expected. Group D, damn. I would guess...

Group A: Innovation and Dark

Group B: Life and Soulkey

Group C: Rain and... probably Rogue, but Dream's TvZ is pretty godly so it could definitely go to him too.
EDIT: Yeah, I'm gonna go with Dream after all.

Group D: Eh... I guess Maru and Parting based on recent results, but it could certainly be any of them really.

SamuraiX-

GSL Ro16:

BHLwoLd.png

Pretty stacked, but that's to be expected. Group D, damn. I would guess...

Group A: Innovation and Dark

Group B: Life and Soulkey

Group C: Rain and... probably Rogue, but Dream's TvZ is pretty godly so it could definitely go to him too.

Group D: Eh... I guess Maru and Parting based on recent results, but it could certainly be any of them really.

Most stacked GSL Ro16 since the WCS system was introduced.

Replace Soulkey with TY and I agree with your picks for the first two groups. TY is well practiced in TvT since his GSL and SSL groups had two other Terrans in them and TvZ is his strongest matchup. He should be able to get past Soulkey and YoDa.

Yeah, I have Rain and Dream coming out of Group C. Rain looks too good in PvZ and he's dismantled Solar in the past. Dream's TvZ is also too good to lose Bo3's to guys like Rogue and Solar. Something weird would have to happen for either Zerg to make it out.

For Group D put me down for herO and... Maru if he can manage to play TvP as godly as he did against herO in the quarters at IEM Taipei. Otherwise PartinG and herO.

SamuraiX-

Final Ro16 SSL group opening up with TY vs Dark followed by Maru vs Dream. Siiick matches incoming!

http://www.twitch.tv/sc2starleague

SSL Ro8 Bracket so far:

cd9ulfO.png

Group D first place faces Super, second places faces Leenock in the next round.

Edit: This first game is actually nonstop insanity. TY should've been dead 10 times over but he's evened this out after almost 40 minutes of play. lol

SamuraiX-

TY went Marauder heavy way too fast and started getting wrecked by mass Muta's.

I think I'm too drunk to realize wtf is going on. Dark vs TY looked like amazing macro games.

Dream literally just threw away Game 1 vs Maru. Terrans are too fucking obsessed with doom drops nowadays. ez win = ez life? naw, man, you got fuckin' rekt by 3 turrents, 2 tanks and plenty of bio.

STEP UP YO GAME, DREAM

Edit: That's more like it! :D

SamuraiX-

Dream on fire today. I'm gonna switch my GSL prediction and definitely pick him over Rogue. ;)

Dream's first Ro8 in a major Korean tournament. Love seeing this kid start playing up to the potential he's shown for years now that he's on SKT1.

Dark didn't look as unstoppable in ZvT as he's been showing previously. I'll now say that MMA has a very legit shot of making it out of Group A with INno. I change my pick. :p

Dream's first Ro8 in a major Korean tournament. Love seeing this kid start playing up to the potential he's shown for years now that he's on SKT1.

Dark didn't look as unstoppable in ZvT as he's been showing previously. I'll now say that MMA has a very legit shot of making it out of Group A with INno. I change my pick. :p

The ass kicking Dark gave MMA in round of 32 is why I have Dark finishing first in the group. In regards to his series against TY, I missed most of the first game because I thought it started at 2. In the second game, Dark showed that even when constantly getting dropped, he always keeps macro up and never overcommits. Even when he had over 100 Drones at one point, Innovation still felt like he couldn't take him in a straight up fight. Once he finally got to Ultra's it was GG.

Edit: huh just noticed he lost to 2 Terran to get knocked out of Starleague.

Tekniqs

good lord, i killed 43 drones at the start of a TvZ game with hellion/banshee harass and I couldn't translate that into a win =(

good lord, i killed 43 drones at the start of a TvZ game with hellion/banshee harass and I couldn't translate that into a win =(

Should have more or less all-in'd after that. Unless you overcommitted on Hellion/Banshee and lost them all there should be no way he could have defended a follow up attack. If you kill that many Drones early you should stop making SCV's and build nothing but units to finish them off.

Tekniqs

Should have more or less all-in'd after that. Unless you overcommitted on Hellion/Banshee and lost them all there should be no way he could have defended a follow up attack. If you kill that many Drones early you should stop making SCV's and build nothing but units to finish them off.

noted, thanks

SamuraiX-

Journey beat TaeJa? Damn, dude is slumping hard...

Journey is a legend in the online tournament scene. He gets like super saiyan powers whenever he plays in these low-key minor tournaments and other qualifiers. He also defeated Revival and Check 2-1 to come out first in the group. Looks like he's on his game. TaeJa came in second so he's not looking too bad.

SamuraiX-

MMA mechin' it happen in Game 1. Absolutely insane game.

So much back and forth.

MMA did a phenomenal job with Banshee and Hellion harass.

Edit: Yep, Dark looks like he forgot how to play ZvT. Literally just threw away units for nothing all game long in the second set. Not to mention MMA's macro is on fucking point today.

SamuraiX-

MMA MMA MMA!

He was on another level like I haven't seen him in a long time. Against INno, his Banshee harass + micro was impeccable. Game 1 he set up a soft contain at INno's natural that denied mining for minutes. He also defended against INno's Banshees and multiple Medivac drop harass attempts very well. Game 2 it was a hard contain that denied INno from taking a 3rd base for at least 5 minutes.

He may not have played well in his Ro32, but MMA was the strongest player in his Ro16 group no doubt.

Guess protoss is back to being the race that gets kicked around.

To be fair, Terminator making it this far into Code S is a joke. We all know he doesn't belong here. I'm actually really surprised he managed to defeat Dark in the losers match. Wonder how that went down.

Syf

Banned
Hopefully Life helps out Flash with his TvZ.

IEM Katowice info's been posted. Qualified players so far are Taeja, Solar, Flash, Zest, herO, Rain, Life, Maru. 8 more play in through qualifiers on the 23rd and 24th. Prize pool is ~$117k total, ~$67k for first place. It's also a tier 1 WCS event so 7k WCS points up for grabs.

SamuraiX-

From an interview with Life about joining KT:

KT is seen as having a weak Zerg lineup.

I think that is only true up until Round 1. I will help not only my fellow Zerg players, but also the Terran and Protoss players to achieve impressive results.

KT gonna be coming for peoples' throats in Round 2. I expect everybody's play versus Zerg to improve quite dramatically. This should help Flash more than anybody. He's struggled disgustingly bad in TvZ this year. He has 7 wins and 17 losses in his last 24 games against Korean Zergs since the third season of GSL last year.

It seems like you’ll no longer be able to participate in foreign competitions as freely as before.

I need to accommodate for the Proleague schedule, but just like before my thirst for foreign competitions isn’t that big. There are now two solo-leagues in Korea, as well as competitions like the KeSPA Cup etc. which I can participate in, so it looks like as long as I get good results I can still earn WCS points. I know that the association gives you the chance to go play in foreign competitions if you’re chosen as Round MVP in Proleague, so I think I will try to aim for that.

:(

Interesting that he says he never cared much for attending foreign tournaments when he participated in eight of them in 2014. lol

I also love how he so casually says "well, KeSPA grants opportunities for round MVPs to participate in foreign tournaments so I guess I'll just do that." trollolol

IEM Katowice info's been posted. Qualified players so far are Taeja, Solar, Flash, Zest, herO, Rain, Life, Maru. 8 more play in through qualifiers on the 23rd and 24th. Prize pool is ~$117k total, ~$67k for first place. It's also a tier 1 WCS event so 7k WCS points up for grabs.

Yeah, such a sick lineup of players for Katowice already. We definitely need more elite Zergs in there though.

survivor

Banned

Oh so they aren't doing winner take all again? Guess seeing sad herO made them change their minds lol

To be fair, Terminator making it this far into Code S is a joke. We all know he doesn't belong here. I'm actually really surprised he managed to defeat Dark in the losers match. Wonder how that went down.

I don't know about that, he's a very solid player these days. He made it to the round of 16 in both GSL and SSL, beating players like herO and TaeJa along the way, and just now eliminating Dark. That's no fluke.

Du2andal

Banned
Hey All,

Question: I bought tickets for virtually every GSL season the first 3 years. Is there any way to watch the old VODs now that they have transitioned to Twitch? I realize this is a really old problem, I have just been out of the loop for a very long time.

survivor

Banned
Hey All,

Question: I bought tickets for virtually every GSL season the first 3 years. Is there any way to watch the old VODs now that they have transitioned to Twitch? I realize this is a really old problem, I have just been out of the loop for a very long time.

I think all the old VODs should be on their Youtube channel. I just skimmed through the playlists and I see that they go back to as far as 2011. I'm not sure if they got everything archived on youtube though.

SamuraiX-

I don't know about that, he's a very solid player these days. He made it to the round of 16 in both GSL and SSL, beating players like herO and TaeJa along the way, and just now eliminating Dark. That's no fluke.

Terminator's qualifying bracket for the SSL was a complete joke. I'd argue so was his GSL qualifying bracket. ByuL isn't nearly as strong as he used to be.

TaeJa has looked so out of practice. He couldn't even take a Bo3 against Curious in his GSL Ro32 group after beating him twice in the SSL qualifiers. And Dark's performances in the Ro16 of SSL and GSL were pitiful compared to the dominance he has been showcasing recently. Defeating herO is impressive but then again PvP is always such a toss up even when there is a considerable skill gap between players.

Yeah, Terminator has become a very solid player as of late, but definitely not Code S Ro16 caliber. He might make Code S again in Season 2 and Season 3 but no way I see him getting as far as the Ro16 again unless he's able to develop those special qualities that separate elite players from great players.

I think all the old VODs should be on their Youtube channel. I just skimmed through the playlists and I see that they go back to as far as 2011. I'm not sure if they got everything archived on youtube though.

Yeah, I remember going through their YouTube VODs and being disappointed that it wasn't a comprehensive list. :(

What happened to inbetween openings for Zerg? It's always either greedy (15 hatch/16 pool) or aggressive (13 gas/ 13 or 14 pool). Why not go 15 pool or 15 hatch/14 pool if you're so afraid of a proxy 2 rax?

SamuraiX-

I liked the tactic by Maru in Game 1 to open mech and then transition into bio-mech. Would've been even better if he was able to coax Leenock into Swarm Host tech before revealing bio.

What happened to inbetween openings for Zerg? It's always either greedy (15 hatch/16 pool) or aggressive (13 gas/ 13 or 14 pool). Why not go 15 pool or 15 hatch/14 pool if you're so afraid of a proxy 2 rax?

I don't think hatch before pool is that greedy. If any gas is taken before pool, then that's definitely greedy. But Leenock, wtf man. He delayed his natural expansion for so long in Game 2. Then Maru denied it until the 5 minute mark.

Yeah, a Zerg player in the quarterfinals of a Korean tournament shouldn't be so worried about getting quick Zergling speed to counter proxies. Just go for a slightly earlier pool and get Queens out. And Leenock even scouts everything that should've told him early aggression was coming from Maru and he's just sitting in his base picking his nose and droning.

Game 3 was entertaining. lol

Maru mind game'd the fuck outta Leenock. That gas started in the vision of the scouting Overlord's and then canceled. hah Leenock actually did a great job defending considering how late he saw the all in but Maru's micro in these situations is just too much. Those 4 banes that he had started morphing in his main shouldn't have been left alone to get canceled though. Those might've given him a chance.

Top Bottom