• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

V_Arnold

Don't know whether I want to play random or Zerg.

Go Zerg. Embrace the swarm!

I deluded myself into thinking that I will go clean slate and just pick Protoss, but after a mere day, I was back at baneling busting Terrans, defending early expansions and fucking up ZVZ's like there is no tomorrow.

Just like riding a bike!

Also, mutalisks....how lovely you are.

Tacitus_

Fungal instant in the campaign :lol

Reapers also have +light and the building nades in the campaign. It was a nice surprise when over 10 of them showed up with full upgrades and rampaged through my base while I was attacking on the other end of the map.

Parasite is instant and permanent.

Campaign Zerg is OP as FUCK. Even more OP then the Campaign Terran changes.

Yup. Cliffjumping lings and banes, ultras can have a charge or hp steal, then their evolution can have either resurrection once a minute or a persistent dmg aura... all sorts of nonsense. I love it.

Willectro

Banned
Go Zerg. Embrace the swarm!

I deluded myself into thinking that I will go clean slate and just pick Protoss, but after a mere day, I was back at baneling busting Terrans, defending early expansions and fucking up ZVZ's like there is no tomorrow.

Just like riding a bike!

Also, mutalisks....how lovely you are.

Same here. Played mainly Zerg in WoL, thought I would switch to Protoss in HotS as I liked how the mothership core looked, but I have returned to Zerg. I just really don't enjoy the protoss early game for a number of reasons and I find Zerg to be a bit more forgiving.

Either way, at this point I'm getting destroyed online, even in bronze (I've won a few games, but lost many more). I'm going to try and put the time/practice in as it would be pretty cool to work my way up to at least Gold.

profit

Allright, time for some replays.... Some pretty awfull played games by me.

Big mistakes:

- constantly supply blocked
- not executing my build order properly
- too late pulling my scv's to repair the bunkers; also not enough bunkers
- awfull macro, not helped by my blocks

TvZ:
http://drop.sc/310280
Zerg went mass ling + mutas. First engagement I should have pulled out my entire army instead of trying to fight all the lings.
Also the lack of scouting gave me no preparation for the mutas.

TvP:
http://drop.sc/310281
Big early pressure by the Toss. I saw it coming, was scouting for forward pylons but did not find one. I was focussing on something else which resulted in me not pulling my scv's fast enough to repair.

TvP:
http://drop.sc/310282
Was really surprised by his oracles, which is the mistake I made because I scouted his two gas at the start which should have rung a bell, but the oracle option did not come into my mind.
I thought he mostly was going air so I pulled my marine force to my main, which was a big mistakes cause he had a follow up with his army... result: no army in bunker and again too slow with the pulling.
Oracle damage is also insane!

I know I can play better then this but I just have not played multiplayer enough these past weeks. Need to focus more and play a ton more games!

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
That's exactly how i played the campaign. :D Endless waves of zerglings with wings on metabolic rush. What a beautiful sight! Wish they were available in mp. :/

I imagine reconstituted speeding raptors in MP and I weep.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
tvt opening kind of sucks now with the reaper gambling game as explained by a b.net poster Giantorange:

Two rax reaper kills the vast majority of openings in TvT. Banshee's are no longer possible. Helion aggression might not be possible anymore because you'll die first. Gasless FE is no longer possible. Marine helion medivac elevator is no longer possible.

The only thing that's decent against two rax reaper in marauder concussive expand which ironically is terrible against one rax reaper.

TvT became a terrible matchup very quickly since you've just made it a gambling match of everyone opening either two rax reaper or 1 rax reaper which can be made unscoutable which one a person is going for. So you'll open one rax reaper and you can either go reapers and pray your opponent isn't going two rax reaper and will kill you or you can go marauders and pray your opponent isn't going one rax reaper...because it has an advantage on you.

TvT seems to be in a pretty bad spot.

Tiamant

I don't usually get mad when I lose a game, but when my mouse goes fucking crazy and makes all my army of marines and bc's chase an overseer over a sea of hidras I rage so, so hard. NNNNNGHHHHHH!!!

profit, I'm not a good player by any means, but I play zerg and can tell you Hellion harass is a major pain, that guy got to 3 bases untouched and didn't have any real defence aside for the standard 2 extra queens. usually zergs will at least narrow the natural with evo chambers.Dealing with the harass will cause missed injects and other mistakes especially at that level. Anyway far better players on here will be able to give you more help.

JLeack

Banned
Just played a guy who says he was Masters in WoL. I feel like such a newb now. See, this is why StarCraft II has been beat out by League of Legends in popularity. With LoL I was able to have fun and enjoy competitive play from the get-go while here I feel like the game wants me to feel like a stupid idiot.

JLeack, right now the matchmaking is screwed in HOTS because all MMRs are reset. In a few days/weeks it will settle down and you'll play people of your own skill.

Miletius

JLeack, right now the matchmaking is screwed in HOTS because all MMRs are reset. In a few days/weeks it will settle down and you'll play people of your own skill.

That's why I'm waiting a week or two to really dive into MP. I only played a bit of WOL, so I'm brushing up on my game by playing the AI.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Damn. That was the best story and dialogue of all time. Replaying this game only for the story.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Damn. That was the best story and dialogue of all time. Replaying this game only for the story.
20120602201801!Laughing_haha.gif

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
How did you enjoy the ESSEEENCE of the dialogue?
I enjoyed it as much as the ARTIFACTSSSSSS-part of this trilogy.

Honestly, there's only one way of describing how I felt as the credits are rolling:

sixghost

I really wish there were more gimmick missions in this campaign. There have been way too many standard base building missions so far. Even on brutal, no matter what the objective is, it just boils down to: make an army, go kill stuff, defend the counter attack, repeat, and it makes so many of the missions feel the same. My favorite missions so far have been the ones that force you to play in an unconventional way, like the deep freeze mission, the protoss ship, mission, and the gorgon BC mission because it feels like more than a watered down version of a multiplayer match.

Yoshichan

Weird. I was just complaining to my brother that there were too many gimmick missions and that I would've really loved some more pure macro missions.

Neki

I really wish there were more gimmick missions in this campaign. There have been way too many standard base building missions so far. Even on brutal, no matter what the objective is, it just boils down to: make an army, go kill stuff, defend the counter attack, repeat, and it makes so many of the missions feel the same. My favorite missions so far have been the ones that force you to play in an unconventional way, like the deep freeze mission, the protoss ship, mission, and the gorgon BC mission because it feels like more than a watered down version of a multiplayer match.

Starcraft and Brood War were all mostly like this (lots of base building and attacking), I enjoyed it. Gimmick missions are fun once in a while, but I'd really like my RTS games to mostly have RTS missions. :p

You know, I've seen your offers for helping gaffers learn the game and I've considered taking you up on the offer but I feel like my biggest issues are nerves and the connection between my brain and fingers, so ultimately, I come to the conclusion that I would just be wasting your time.

Hey! I have the same problem. I literally get super nervous while playing Starcraft so I feel ya. Maybe we should play sometime? You'll most likely stomp all over me but maybe that's what you need!

Mrbob

Can we get the subtitle changed for the spoiler thread? I almost mistook it for this one. :x

Does SCII ever go on sale like Steam games? would like to buy it for a good price

Wings of Liberty is currently $19.99 at Best Buy. Good through Saturday, I believe.

sixghost

Starcraft and Brood War were all mostly like this (lots of base building and attacking), I enjoyed it. Gimmick missions are fun once in a while, but I'd really like my RTS games to mostly have RTS missions. :p

It is probably because I've played so much Starcraft MP over the years. When I play single player, I'd rather it be as different from MP as possible. I would just play an multiplayer match if I wanted to macro for 20 minutes.

Majine

Banned
Alright, I'm back in gold league, lol. But since they increased the population in that league, I have no idea if I'm better or worse than WoL right now.

Top Bottom