• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

//: StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm |OT| Like Riding a Bike

Pyrogeek

Never beat Star Craft 2. Sounds like blasphemy, but I only played 75% of the game, but then got distracted with work. After moving, I lost my disc.

Really tempted to just buy this and jump back in. Or should I just go back and re-play SC 2? Does it even matter? (Story wise).

You should be able to just download the SC2 client from Blizzard after logging in with your account. I've never had to use my disk when reinstalling the game, which I've done twice now since originally purchasing it.

DryvBy

I think you can search for the group "Neogaf" and join that way. If not I apologize.

It's private because of limited slots is what I was told. I literally just got the game installed about 10 minutes ago so I might not even know what I'm doing with the search.

mbmonk

It's private because of limited slots is what I was told. I literally just got the game installed about 10 minutes ago so I might not even know what I'm doing with the search.

I just installed today as well. I could be mistaken. There could be a difference between a "group" and a "clan" in starcraft. I have no idea. I was just trying to be helpful, and failing at it more than likely :p

Best of luck.

Ecto311

Hey! I have the same problem. I literally get super nervous while playing Starcraft so I feel ya. Maybe we should play sometime? You'll most likely stomp all over me but maybe that's what you need!

Add me to the list if you guys want some one to play against. Almost 5k games in and still garbage. But I'll play against others if anyone sees me on message me. High gold but don't let that fool you, I play at a mid bronze level.

DryvBy

Add me to the list if you guys want some one to play against. Almost 5k games in and still garbage. But I'll play against others if anyone sees me on message me. High gold but don't let that fool you, I play at a mid bronze level.

Ha, you have no idea how garbage I am. I was about 10/90 in WoL.

f0rk

How does the cross region thing work? Is there any point in trying to play with Americans from this thread as someone in the EU?

So I'm installing Starcraft 2 for the first time on this specific computer from the HotS disc (which I figured would be faster than a DL). So why is it still downloading something like 7 gigs of stuff anyway? Would it have better if I installed my WoL disc first, and then my popped the HotS disc in?

Didn't want to have to wait who knows how long. Just seems like an odd way to handle it.

Woorloog

Banned
So I'm installing Starcraft 2 for the first time on this specific computer from the HotS disc (which I figured would be faster than a DL). So why is it still downloading something like 7 gigs of stuff anyway? Would it have better if I installed my WoL disc first, and then my popped the HotS disc in?

Didn't want to have to wait who knows how long. Just seems like an odd way to handle it.

Yes? HotS is not standalone. Downloading merely the patches for WoL would be considerably faster than downloading the whole thing.

Just going to leave my battletag here incase anyone wants to play. Just know that I am a total noob. Just been playing the AI for a couple matches.

Askhersrnty#1141

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Should've defensed your expand. :p

PM me if you want to change the title to something else, I just kinda winged it.

I was more referring to the fact that you changed the title of the spoiler thread, and not this one.

The spoiler thread had the "riding a bike" subtitle first!
LLShC.gif

Load times in the single player campaign seem long :|

They were pretty bad in WoL too.

Xamdou

Just finished the campaign, I actually liked it a whole lot more than WOL even though it has less missions. The Zerg is a whole lot more interesting in terms of designs and dialogue. Also I get to see more of Kerrigan than Jim which is a huge plus, and the story is very fitting.

Now the long wait for the Protoss expansion, what will be the name of it?

StayDead

I'v taken a time machine back to 2010/2011

IdrA streaming with 8000+ people watching and him BM balance whining.

Travelled back in time? His stream is always like that.

He said races were OP at the end of WoL, when he wasn't even talking about Zerg, clearly the most overpowered race in the game.

he could literally balance whine about a ZvZ.

Wow that swarmhost-like mass baneling boss on zerg jungle planet is just too hax. I can't even touch him without being surrounded and blown to pieces.

Vaporak

Just finished the HotS campaign on Brutal, excellent gameplay design as expected. Both WoL and HotS have easily some of the best single player campaigns in the genre.

Lord, the HotS MP is so annoying. I feel they added only gimmicky stuff for Terran and Toss that throws off the balance for low-tier players because it's so APM heavy.
Afterburners for Medivacs, Oracles or Widow-Mines is stuff that sure makes watching GSL more entertaining, but loosing half your mineral line in Gold league because of 1 mistake is harsh.

I feel only Zerg got "normal" stuff and not gimmicky harassy annoy you to death units. Ah yes and Swarm hosts. Playing Random gives me headaches. Need to return to WoL.

Oh and btw: Fuck you Blizzard for ruining the grid layout for Zerg! And why the hell would you move Reaper/Marauder columns?!

Yes? HotS is not standalone. Downloading merely the patches for WoL would be considerably faster than downloading the whole thing.

Went back and got my WoL disc. Installed that, now installing the HotS disc. Still has to download ~2GBs of I don't know what though. You'd think they would include patch stuff on the latest disc. There can't have been 2GBs worth of patches since HotS went gold, can there? I mean yeah going from vanilla WoL to HotS, but still.

Tried an unranked match. Beat my opponent, felt good for a second. Then I looked at his profile. I think I was his last placement match and he was 0-5, placed in bronze...

At least I didn't crumble under the pressure of mass cloaked banshees.

Setreal

Really torn on the campaign. On the one hand the production values and gameplay are excellent, but the story itself really makes me yearn for the days of SCI.

Just finished it. The writing and dialogue were pretty awful but I vastly prefer the direction the story went compared to Wings of Liberty. Overall I wish they had made some different decisions on some major plot points but there was no way they were going to turn back after the first campaign.

Surprised they made the Stukov stuff from SC64 canon. And the talking primal zerg were really stupid, but I'm glad they didn't keep Kerrigan as a Terran...and I thought people were saying that she died? Kept expecting it to happen at some point, guess that's better than actually being spoiled.

I still really hate the whole Amon story line but it can't be helped, hopefully the final campaign is just extra badass and action packed to make up for all the stupidity.

Proven

It really does need to go back to "We Make Expand Then Defense It"
I second this.

Went back and got my WoL disc. Installed that, now installing the HotS disc. Still has to download ~2GBs of I don't know what though. You'd think they would include patch stuff on the latest disc. There can't have been 2GBs worth of patches since HotS went gold, can there? I mean yeah going from vanilla WoL to HotS, but still.

Because of how much stuff was patched before the expansion came out, I feel like the disc definitely was shipped without everything.

KePoW

Banned
How do you send a move command to just one tabbed unit type of a control group? I remember there was a way to do this in WoL or WC3.

I thought it was alt-click but it doesn't seem to work.

Neki

Wow that swarmhost-like mass baneling boss on zerg jungle planet is just too hax. I can't even touch him without being surrounded and blown to pieces.

do as much damage with your units, then once only kerrigan is alone, spam her w to go through the banelings to attack the boss, occasionally using q to attack the boss + adds.

basically, spam w.

fallagin

I'm working my way through getting all the level specific achievements and doing missions on brutal difficulty.

Brutal is a really good difficulty level. Its difficult but not impossible, and makes the game alot more engaging. I like it!

FluxWaveZ

Ugh, I'm getting decimated on ranked ladder. Can't wait until things level out, because so far I'm finding players that are far too good to be in certain leagues.

So for the ranking system, is there a system in place that searches for players with similar rank to yourself?

You mean within your league? Yeah. Your skill is calculated behind the scenes and represented by a value known as the MMR. The system pairs you up with people that have similar MMR and the main goal is to ensure that you win about 50% of your matches. Can read up on it here:

http://wiki.teamliquid.net/starcraft2/Battle.net_Leagues#Hidden_.22Matchmaking_Rating.22_.28MMR.29

LiK

Finished the campaign on Normal. Too easy compared to WoL. Even final mission was easy. Anyway, good ending. Can't wait for the next and final installment.

Pancakes

hot, steaming, as melted butter slips into the cracks, drizzled with sticky sweet syrup OH GOD
Finished the campaign on Normal. Too easy compared to WoL. Even final mission was easy. Anyway, good ending. Can't wait for the next and final installment.

Normal is so boring to play. Hard is the perfect balance of difficulty and fun.

Top Bottom